What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

60 DE Nanolux 600 Coco DTW setup/grow

eric2028

Veteran
Nice looking facilities Eric. Looks like you have been super busy.
Thanks bud. I’m looking to fly solo on a new one. Hopefully there will be a silver lining to this pandemic and prices for commercial property will become reasonable in our state.
Which silica product you guys recommend?
I quit using silica a year ago. Havnt noticed a difference. I was only using 1ml/gallon though. I seen a noticeable difference using extreme mycos wp or the granules ( I use both). I feed once a week with brix also during a changeout.
I don’t use stock mix. I mix by hand each part separate in a bucket. Once dissolved I add each separate into the Rez. I’m only gonna do stock when I do dosers. Has anyone else noticed the jacks 5-12-26 has changed abit? Its light and dusty now and dissolves 100%. Ec is the same.

gmanwho

Veteran
all that

all that

been running jacks for over 5 years, ive always added silica first, then jacks, then calnit

never heard of anyone using calnit as A

see i was under the same impression as absolem , consider your cal nit part a, jacks part B. calcium products where always before the phosphorous. calmag combo products basically first, then rest of nutes. for like 20 years i thought this way. an many nute mfg go this route, if not all of them.

but then i remember delta9 in the ppk thread stating jacks then calnit. an i was like what? Atleast, if my memory serves me correct.

now i basically wanna know the the scientific data. whats correct? ive done both ways, tbh, i am unsure there was any difference. but there has to be a reason. but im sure there is a specific reason. antagonisms and things not playing well together in concentration, participation etc... im gonna go check out the jacks or peters website

lately im with this in order....

agsil
micro(plant products)
additional cal if needed, dissolvine edta
mag nitrate or mag sulphate(or mag nitrate veg, then 50/50, then just sulphate at end, or sometimes none
cal nit
jacks(or peters hydro special)

after day 15, every 3 days i add to the working rez mkp at 1gpg an 1gpg mag sulphate. then 1.5gpg mkp mid late flower and 1gpg mag suphate. still every 3 days.

BUT, first an foremost that is all dependit on the runoff!! or i run that same regime watered down. some play well, others want less. always a "see-saw" effect...

been also messing with adding 1 cup of gypsom to 1 cuft of tupur coco at transplants. might even try 2 cups to 1 cuft soon..

Absolem

see i was under the same impression as absolem , consider your cal nit part a, jacks part B. calcium products where always before the phosphorous. calmag combo products basically first, then rest of nutes. for like 20 years i thought this way. an many nute mfg go this route, if not all of them.

but then i remember delta9 in the ppk thread stating jacks then calnit. an i was like what? Atleast, if my memory serves me correct

Agreed.
When you look at GH, Canna, H&G, Veg+Bloom or majority of other companies their A formula contains calcium, nitrogen, mg, fe, mn, zinc and sometimes potassium.. The B formula has your phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, mg, and the rest of your micro's.

Jr Peter's does recommend adding Jacks first then calnitrate.

Just got off the phone with them and asked a tech why. He said Jacks takes longer to dissolve so they have you add that first. I thought maybe it had to do with the fe, mn, and zinc mixed in with the Jacks that might mess with the calnitrate and that's why they had you add the Jack's first.

It's still strange to me to add the Jacks first when most people use tap water and most tap water has calcium in it. I would personally still mix the calnitrate first then Jacks second especially if using tap water.

gmanwho

Veteran
Agreed.
When you look at GH, Canna, H&G, Veg+Bloom or majority of other companies their A formula contains calcium, nitrogen, mg, fe, mn, zinc and sometimes potassium.. The B formula has your phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, mg, and the rest of your micro's.

Jr Peter's does recommend adding Jacks first then calnitrate.

Just got off the phone with them and asked a tech why. He said Jacks takes longer to dissolve so they have you add that first. I thought maybe it had to do with the fe, mn, and zinc mixed in with the Jacks that might mess with the calnitrate and that's why they had you add the Jack's first.

It's still strange to me to add the Jacks first when most people use tap water and most tap water has calcium in it. I would personally still mix the calnitrate first then Jacks second especially if using tap water.

sweet, glad you called. i got side tracked again with work. been a crazy 40 something days with work load harvesting. ya the jacks definitely is more stubborn to dissolve. i keep a small mag pump in all the rez's circulating 24/7.

in regards to getting the powder to dissolve, when making the rez lately i take a 2 gal with ro an mix in the cal nit or jacks an stir for a min. let it sit 20 30 seconds and all the undissolved falls to bottom of the 2 gal bucket instead of falling in the reservoir . then pour off 3/4 of the bucket solution into the rez, making sure undissolved stays in bucket. then back fill/ submerge the bucket in the rez till water level is a manageable water height. pull out & stir for a few minutes , settle, pour off into rez, repeat a few times tilll im happy with the lack of sediment. rinse bucket in rez then fill with ro an goto the next powder. only for the heavy powders, small amounts of other things get sprinkled right into rez

as you stated, without doing that dilution, i notice the jacks can start to build on the bottom of the rez for certain.

still bouncing back an forth IN FLOWER with either jacks and calnit, or floraflex bloom. all these powder nutes seem to use the same mineral/nutrient base, but possibly different mfg sources/grades, then create their own final nute blends. Hydroponic research, raw, floraflex, Front row, perfect grower, HGV etc...

customhydronutrients.com for the win...

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
sweet, glad you called. i got side tracked again with work. been a crazy 40 something days with work load harvesting. ya the jacks definitely is more stubborn to dissolve. i keep a small mag pump in all the rez's circulating 24/7.

in regards to getting the powder to dissolve, when making the rez lately i take a 2 gal with ro an mix in the cal nit or jacks an stir for a min. let it sit 20 30 seconds and all the undissolved falls to bottom of the 2 gal bucket instead of falling in the reservoir . then pour off 3/4 of the bucket solution into the rez, making sure undissolved stays in bucket. then back fill/ submerge the bucket in the rez till water level is a manageable water height. pull out & stir for a few minutes , settle, pour off into rez, repeat a few times tilll im happy with the lack of sediment. rinse bucket in rez then fill with ro an goto the next powder. only for the heavy powders, small amounts of other things get sprinkled right into rez

as you stated, without doing that dilution, i notice the jacks can start to build on the bottom of the rez for certain.

still bouncing back an forth IN FLOWER with either jacks and calnit, or floraflex bloom. all these powder nutes seem to use the same mineral/nutrient base, but possibly different mfg sources/grades, then create their own final nute blends. Hydroponic research, raw, floraflex, Front row, perfect grower, HGV etc...

I have found if I dilute in a bucket 24 hours before I need it, the powder will be completely dissolved when I need it.

Lyfespan

that perfect grower stuff is a pretty nice set up, 4 parts and a free foliar. easy to use and pretty good results, but like all i ended up tweaking things for coco:tiphat:

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
are you using dosatrons? about to be reworking a facility and seriously thinking about them:thank you:
I wish lol.

No I go thru around 50-60 gallons a day so basically I mix one 55 gallon barrel a day and then pump it over to a 150 gallon rez.

With cold well water it takes forever if I try to dissolve in the barrel but if I leave a couple five gallon buckets out overnight they warm up and fully dissolve by the the next day when I mix my barrel. So I’m just pre-dissolving for 24 hours in advance.

Lyfespan

I wish lol.

No I go thru around 50-60 gallons a day so basically I mix one 55 gallon barrel a day and then pump it over to a 150 gallon rez.

With cold well water it takes forever if I try to dissolve in the barrel but if I leave a couple five gallon buckets out overnight they warm up and fully dissolve by the the next day when I mix my barrel. So I’m just pre-dissolving for 24 hours in advance.

oh shit thats a lot of play time. like you i have a 300 gallon rez of RO that i pump into 55 gallon drum to water from nightly, but now im increasing my umbers so i want automation now

gmanwho

Veteran
that perfect grower stuff is a pretty nice set up, 4 parts and a free foliar. easy to use and pretty good results, but like all i ended up tweaking things for coco:tiphat:

definitely dug the 4 part,i liked it alot, i ran it for like 6-8 runs in different flower rooms. but i did not like the price. running about 120g-150g a day of rez consumed it got pricey.

i know their micro made a difference. i did another test run with perfect grower micro with veg bloom dirty an tupur top drip. i feel like the terpenes where def enhanced in both situations with the pg 4 part line, and vegbloom dirty with pg's micro.

pg's price led me to 2 different micro blends, first was bioag tm-7, worked nice but not soluble enough for nutrient tanks an sediment would build.

ultimately i went with plant products chelated micro. the only thing missing from that micro blend is cobalt. i do have 100grams of Cobalt Nitrate Hexahydrate 99% on hand. but i haven't done the math for the proper amount to add per gal. tbh i need to do some research if the nitrate hexahydrate is right for plants. i forget right now tbh.

metalosate calcium and mag sulphate, or mag nitrate has been my foliar for a little bit now. theres a chart somewhere on customhydronutrients that shows the availability rates between different mag sulphates an mag nitrates.

what where your tweeks?

sethimus

i switched to floraflex nutes for this grow, so far i‘m impressed how ph stable it is. quite expensive though, as i only found one source in europe so far. but not having to adjust ph anymore makes it more than worthwhile for me.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
if you guys are looking into injectors i picked these up from qc supply and the price is right at about 170$ each. they are american made so im assuming parts should be easily available through the company if need be. so far so good on mine. they are set injection ratio so i just adjust my stock accordingly and let them do their thing. https://www.qcsupply.com/aquablend-injector-1-128.html

Lyfespan

definitely dug the 4 part,i liked it alot, i ran it for like 6-8 runs in different flower rooms. but i did not like the price. running about 120g-150g a day of rez consumed it got pricey.

i know their micro made a difference. i did another test run with perfect grower micro with veg bloom dirty an tupur top drip. i feel like the terpenes where def enhanced in both situations with the pg 4 part line, and vegbloom dirty with pg's micro.

pg's price led me to 2 different micro blends, first was bioag tm-7, worked nice but not soluble enough for nutrient tanks an sediment would build.

ultimately i went with plant products chelated micro. the only thing missing from that micro blend is cobalt. i do have 100grams of Cobalt Nitrate Hexahydrate 99% on hand. but i haven't done the math for the proper amount to add per gal. tbh i need to do some research if the nitrate hexahydrate is right for plants. i forget right now tbh.

metalosate calcium and mag sulphate, or mag nitrate has been my foliar for a little bit now. theres a chart somewhere on customhydronutrients that shows the availability rates between different mag sulphates an mag nitrates.

what where your tweeks?

mag of course for 5-7
silica agisil16
blue gold:tiphat:

Lyfespan

if you guys are looking into injectors i picked these up from qc supply and the price is right at about 170$ each. they are american made so im assuming parts should be easily available through the company if need be. so far so good on mine. they are set injection ratio so i just adjust my stock accordingly and let them do their thing. https://www.qcsupply.com/aquablend-injector-1-128.html

wonder how they compare to dasatrons seriously need to do something about watering

eric2028

Veteran
wonder how they compare to dasatrons seriously need to do something about watering
What’s your watering system like? Dosers sound nice but I’m sure there’s a learning curve. I’m all about trying new things. I’m currently running 175 gallons a day and it’s not that bad. Bigger rezs just take more space.

Biologist

Eric, at end of flower do you lower the CO2 from 1000ppm or dim the lights? Or do you just blast until the end? I'm trying to perfect my finishing right now.

Waxy, with those Newtry injectors I found it useful to verify and calibrate them. One was quite off from the other which made me dose too much calcium nitrate for a few weeks in my grow before this one. You probably already know this, but thought I'd share a link that helped me. You can use weight or volume removed by the siphon hose after you dispense a known volume like 5 gallons into a bucket. I just moved the little sticker on the doser up or down until it was correct lol. After that it has stayed solid.

https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/training-center/how-to-calibrate-fertilizer-injectors/

Ceramic Solutions seems to not exist anymore and I’m having a hell of a time tracking down any decent 630DE’s or 1000W DE CMH (low frequency) units. Any ideas before I nix that idea and go LED?

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
only problem with that is I hear you cant mix jacks and calnit in the same, but I may try your 24 hour way tree! good idea.........

I make a stock one part from the hydro/calnit and dilute to my desired ec...no problems. Try it, you may like it. :tiphat:

100 grams hydro and up to 84 grams cal nit ( my veg feed) into 3 gallons of tap water dissolves with no problems at all. I do the hydro 1st, then the calnit. It really helped with hitting my desired ec at just the ratio I desire.

Been doing this for years now, the only way to fly.

Biologist

It depends how concentrated you need to make it. For a 100x stock to use with my 1% injection ratio, I needed 1800g of Jacks in 5 gallons (back when I used 3.6g/gallon) and it definitely formed gypsum sludge with calnit in my water that made it unusable. The highest my injectors can go is 4% and I am pretty sure I tried 450g in 5 gallons plus the calnit and it was a no-go also. I was pulled kicking and screaming (I'm a cheap bastard and also like to keep things as simple as possible and wanted to use one injector) to using two separate injectors, but now that I use two I like it. It makes cutting out nitrogen in late flower a cinch, you just turn down the calnit injector.

If you can use Caljim's stock concentration though that is a lot easier.

Latest posts

Latest posts