What's new

60 DE Nanolux 600 Coco DTW setup/grow

gmanwho

Veteran
hey eric2028.

just a random thought out of curiosity, can you notice any variation from the reflector connected to the ballast, to the reflector connected by cord? like light color intensity or direct growth underneath? stretching stacking leaf color etc....

looking stellar, liking the newer setup. clean, pretty tight!!

bwell

eric2028

Veteran
hey eric2028.

just a random thought out of curiosity, can you notice any variation from the reflector connected to the ballast, to the reflector connected by cord? like light color intensity or direct growth underneath? stretching stacking leaf color etc....

looking stellar, liking the newer setup. clean, pretty tight!!

bwell
Thanks. No I Havnt noticed any difference between hoods. They all look uniform and equally as bright. I should probably break down and buy a par meter. I just don’t want a cheap one so I’ve been hesitant(as I’m a cheap bastard lol).

gmanwho

Veteran
Thanks. No I Havnt noticed any difference between hoods. They all look uniform and equally as bright. I should probably break down and buy a par meter. I just don’t want a cheap one so I’ve been hesitant(as I’m a cheap bastard lol).

i felt the same, untill i bought one. u can get a nice apogee for $575. seeing the meter show the difference between a year old bulb an a new one, side by side, makes you pony up the money to replace the bulbs. knowing that your yield will go up an you will get the money back there anyways. after all whats 575 .....peanuts compared to what your yield could go up knowing its time to swap.

i will also say i have 24 nanolux 1000w de. they came with nanolux bulbs. there bulbs degraded very fast compared to phillips or the horti de bulbs. i will not run the nanolux bulbs again

:2cents:

bwell

eric2028

Veteran
i felt the same, untill i bought one. u can get a nice apogee for $575. seeing the meter show the difference between a year old bulb an a new one, side by side, makes you pony up the money to replace the bulbs. knowing that your yield will go up an you will get the money back there anyways. after all whats 575 .....peanuts compared to what your yield could go up knowing its time to swap.

i will also say i have 24 nanolux 1000w de. they came with nanolux bulbs. there bulbs degraded very fast compared to phillips or the horti de bulbs. i will not run the nanolux bulbs again

:2cents:

bwell

That’s the meter I want actually. Do you have the model that does leds too? And you like it then? Yeah I’m not crazy about my bulbs either. When it’s time to swap I ll definitely go with a different brand.

gmanwho

Veteran
That’s the meter I want actually. Do you have the model that does leds too? And you like it then? Yeah I’m not crazy about my bulbs either. When it’s time to swap I ll definitely go with a different brand.

gotta check their website. they had a few last i knew, older syle, then a full spectrum that does uv too, then i think they had a separate for led. honestly haven't researched them in awhile. i own the original one

think this is the one

https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/full-spectrum-quantum-sensor/

bwell

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran

I recently saw a double ended 600 watt cmh bulb on the market. Would be great if they played nice with the nanolux ballast.

I recently saw a double ended 600 watt cmh bulb on the market. Would be great if they played nice with the nanolux ballast.

There’s a company named Sunplix that sells 1000W and 630W DE CMH lamps. They state they are for use in a square wave low frequency ballast, and those aren’t the most common. Even Sunplix themselves don’t have a matching ballast available. I asked Nanolux about using a CMH bulb in my DE HPS fixture and they were convinced it would go poof so I haven’t tried. It’s about time to change lamps though, so I’m considering giving it a whirl, though $160 for a lamp that might not work keeps holding me back.

Are any of you guys successfully running the DE CMH lamps in high frequency ballasts? If so, which lamp specifically? Worth the change?

In general, is there a favorite amongst DE HPS bulbs? This will be my first time swapping one; I’ve always stuck with EYE Hortilux for HPS bulbs in the past.

Eric— looks stunning as always. In the commercial space you posted pics of, is that strictly a veg area or will flowering be done in the same racks? Are they DIY LEDs or a pre-fabbed setup? Ran across Nanolux’s LED modules and it reminded me of the setup you posted; pretty neat stuff. :tiphat:

gmanwho

Veteran
There’s a company named Sunplix that sells 1000W and 630W DE CMH lamps. They state they are for use in a square wave low frequency ballast, and those aren’t the most common. Even Sunplix themselves don’t have a matching ballast available. I asked Nanolux about using a CMH bulb in my DE HPS fixture and they were convinced it would go poof so I haven’t tried. It’s about time to change lamps though, so I’m considering giving it a whirl, though $160 for a lamp that might not work keeps holding me back.

Are any of you guys successfully running the DE CMH lamps in high frequency ballasts? If so, which lamp specifically? Worth the change?

In general, is there a favorite amongst DE HPS bulbs? This will be my first time swapping one; I’ve always stuck with EYE Hortilux for HPS bulbs in the past.

Eric— looks stunning as always. In the commercial space you posted pics of, is that strictly a veg area or will flowering be done in the same racks? Are they DIY LEDs or a pre-fabbed setup? Ran across Nanolux’s LED modules and it reminded me of the setup you posted; pretty neat stuff. :tiphat:

you would be correct about running in said square wave verse digital or whatever one would call it. BUT, i am however running a few of the 945w de cmh bulbs from growers choice in nanolux 1000w de setups. these are a few years old already.

since then they started making 1000w de cmh's which are 2 500w elements inline , verse the 3 315w elements inline(what i have).

i have also seen some pretty sweeet 500w de cmh setups over a growershouse dot com ive been meaning to try. im betting 2 of the 500w setups whould do very well over a 4x8 tray.

thou im not convinced the de cmh is good bulb to flower, or my bulbs are just a higher k for veg, i forget. they do throw more heat then the hps, an they have a glass shield around them. they do however throw more umol or par at said watt setting verse a phillips or horti de bulb shown with my meter. i forget the numbers, i wanna say it was like almost 100umol more at 600w setting. which my de cmh never come off the 600w setting running a 4x5 or so foot print.

now that de cmh bulb in veg, fucking amazing!!!

Last edited:
you would be correct about running in said square wave verse digital or whatever one would call it. BUT, i am however running a few of the 930w de cmh bulbs from growers choice in nanolux 1000w de setups. these are a few years old already.

since then they started making 1000w de cmh's which are 2 500w elements inline , verse the 3 315w elements inline(what i have).

i have also seen some pretty sweeet 500w de cmh setups over a growershouse dot com ive been meaning to try. im betting 2 of the 500w setups whould do very well over a 4x8 tray.

thou im not convinced the de cmh is good bulb to flower, or my bulbs are just a higher k for veg, i forget. they do throw more heat then the hps, an they have a glass shield around them. they do however throw more umol or par at said watt setting verse a phillips or horti de bulb shown with my meter. i forget the numbers, i wanna say it was like almost 100umol more at 600w setting. which my de cmh never come off the 600w setting running a 4x5 or so foot print.

now that de cmh bulb in veg, fucking amazing!!!

Interesting. I’m guessing your 945 is the 3100k model that I see on growers choice (discontinued). The only ones available on there now are Nanolux 630 and 1000w de cmh; in 3000k or 4000k. Was hoping to hear positive results in flower, but it sounds like I should stick to a traditional DE HPS bulb, which brand/model do you guys prefer?

eric2028

Veteran

Thanks. Those are the fluence spydr 2i’s. A total of 420 fixtures across 4 bloom rooms (double decker) and a veg room (triple tier). This was the first run so all rooms were filled up, smaller plants vegged in the bloom space this go.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran

I run the cheap chinese DE CMH 630w bulbs at 700 watts in my Gavita flex with no issues concerning the high frequency of the ballast.
three runs and still use the bulb in veg, bet they would work fine in the Nanos too...

my 1000w DE CMH Nanos are really bright and I love them.
way better flavor and resin expression than the Sodium DEs for me. I run the 4100K

...:

mine were the cheapest $53 amazon DE 630 CMH in my Gavita the spectrum produces more and better smelling resin and less heat to burn it away.

I run the cheap chinese DE CMH 630w bulbs at 700 watts in my Gavita flex with no issues concerning the high frequency of the ballast.
three runs and still use the bulb in veg, bet they would work fine in the Nanos too...

my 1000w DE CMH Nanos are really bright and I love them.
way better flavor and resin expression than the Sodium DEs for me. I run the 4100K

mine were the cheapest $53 amazon DE 630 CMH in my Gavita the spectrum produces more and better smelling resin and less heat to burn it away.

Good to hear. How are the yields in comparison to the HPS? Are you running the full Nanolux 1000W DE CMH fixture or using their bulb in a standard DE HPS ballast? Ever tried the 3/3100K for reference?

Biologist

Hey eric2028, thanks for this whole thread, it is a huge inspiration for me. I am going to reread it again soon and write down everything you do in a notebook, I think you've got a lot of great ideas and things figured out. Your clone roots are insane, I've never seen anything like that. I plan to not overthink my nutrients and grow and emulate as much of yours as I can until my plants look like yours. :) Initial tests of the 3/2.5 Jacks mix are going really well. I've never understood why they have the epsom in there.

Can you give some info about how you finish the plants off in the last few weeks? Do you keep running the 3/2.5/0.5 MKP all the way until the end? Flush with water ever? What about CO2, RH, and temps in the last few weeks?

eric2028

Veteran
Hey eric2028, thanks for this whole thread, it is a huge inspiration for me. I am going to reread it again soon and write down everything you do in a notebook, I think you've got a lot of great ideas and things figured out. Your clone roots are insane, I've never seen anything like that. I plan to not overthink my nutrients and grow and emulate as much of yours as I can until my plants look like yours. :) Initial tests of the 3/2.5 Jacks mix are going really well. I've never understood why they have the epsom in there.

Can you give some info about how you finish the plants off in the last few weeks? Do you keep running the 3/2.5/0.5 MKP all the way until the end? Flush with water ever? What about CO2, RH, and temps in the last few weeks?
Thanks bud. I do keep full nutes until 1 week before chop, then just plain ro to flush. My rezs only hold 250 gallons so I change them about twice a week. I normally top up with ro once a week to dilute my nutes to 50 or 75%. Then I flush with that or run it for a day before I do a complete Rez change.
Up until week 5 or so I run 79-80 degrees and 70%. Then I lower to 77-78 and 55%. I Havnt seen a difference in co2 ran at 1000 vs. 1400. I’m sure others have different opinions but it’s what I’ve seen in my garden. Good luck bro 🤙

eric2028

Veteran
picture.php

Got a new toy recently. Pretty interesting..... guess who needs to rearrange some lights?? Lol.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
View Image
Got a new toy recently. Pretty interesting..... guess who needs to rearrange some lights?? Lol.

Hah bummer at your size! I love my apogee! Why fuckin guess?

Hey brotha I got a serious question to ask. With such killer results with jacks I am contemplating completely changing up the game again.

I am heavily considering building a RDWC system or simply buying a current culture rig. I also found 6 and 8 site RDWC rigs @150 a pop on a foreign website. The RDWC at first glance seems to be better than what I would build my self or just as good for 150-300 less per 6-8 sites.

Serious logical business reasons I am considering the move:

1. To be rid of medium as a whole.

Reasoning: Costs of disposal, ease of veg in hydro, transplanting, the existence of hypogrow, pests are limited (no gnats right big $ saver there?), and prepping medium+sq ft to store (I know you can just skip prepping, but not in the mother room of a breeder).

I have been taken my 24 site ez-cloners a lot longer than recommended when cloning and I just feel the urge to completely switch. It is green, healthy as fuck, and night and day vigor. Coco already makes organics seem like you are waiting for oil paint to fuckin dry and you still notice a bit faster growth in RDWC.

Reasons not to:

My only reservation now is I do not need power the way I do things so a power outage for even 5-6 days is no big deal at all. Everything is watered and rockwool clone backups are always made. While a 2-3 day power outage may be okay in RDWC higher water temps are a thing as we all know at any time frame.

Since you are on a commercial level I am very interested in your thoughts.

PS My organics had good taste all my shit since switchin to Jacks get's a "damn you can fuckin taste this". Same result imo.