What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

60 DE Nanolux 600 Coco DTW setup/grow

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
That is a lot more concentrated than mine....considering the savings from using dry ferts having two dosers seems like they would pay for themselves in the long run...even if only counting the time saved mixing nutrients.

Overhead and the cost of doing business .

Takes money to make money...know what im sayin'?

Lyfespan

What’s your watering system like? Dosers sound nice but I’m sure there’s a learning curve. I’m all about trying new things. I’m currently running 175 gallons a day and it’s not that bad. Bigger rezs just take more space.

ro fills up a 300 gallon tote and i pump that water to barrels as needed, i mix almost nightly 55-110 gallons and hand water at low rate, so the whole fucking ordeal takes me about 3 hours for 400 gals

Lyfespan

What’s your watering system like? Dosers sound nice but I’m sure there’s a learning curve. I’m all about trying new things. I’m currently running 175 gallons a day and it’s not that bad. Bigger rezs just take more space.

im hand wanding every gal

Mr. J

There's something to be said about spending that much time with your plants every day. You really get to know what's happening and you can get a jump on any problems that might crop up. It can also be relaxing and gives you time to think. I think better when I'm doing a mindless task like watering plants.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's something to be said about spending that much time with your plants every day. You really get to know what's happening and you can get a jump on any problems that might crop up. It can also be relaxing and gives you time to think. I think better when I'm doing a mindless task like watering plants.

This is very true I know the feeling. However, I just find it far more beneficial to the plants to spend as little time watering them as possible and instead manicure them, care for clones, and moms. Damn even with a wand that is a shit load of watering and no room for the Flu or other life maladies that always crop up.

eric2028

Veteran
im hand wanding every gal
That’s rough. As you know your time is better spent elsewhere. A lot of guys claim that it’s valuable time spent with your plants but I disagree. I personally clean and inspect several times a week and it’s much easier to focus on one important task at a time imo. With watering by hand I would just zone out lol.i can’t help you with dosers but would be more then happy to with just a basic watering system. Let me know 🤙🤙

eric2028

Veteran
Eric, at end of flower do you lower the CO2 from 1000ppm or dim the lights? Or do you just blast until the end? I'm trying to perfect my finishing right now.

Waxy, with those Newtry injectors I found it useful to verify and calibrate them. One was quite off from the other which made me dose too much calcium nitrate for a few weeks in my grow before this one. You probably already know this, but thought I'd share a link that helped me. You can use weight or volume removed by the siphon hose after you dispense a known volume like 5 gallons into a bucket. I just moved the little sticker on the doser up or down until it was correct lol. After that it has stayed solid.

https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/training-center/how-to-calibrate-fertilizer-injectors/
Yes I turn co2 down to 900-1000. Lights down to 100%. Daytime temps to 76ish and 55% humidity.

brickweeder

Ceramic Solutions seems to not exist anymore and I’m having a hell of a time tracking down any decent 630DE’s or 1000W DE CMH (low frequency) units. Any ideas before I nix that idea and go LED?
Go to aliexpress, they have the same lights ceramics solutions offered up. Only problem is the shipping time if u r in a hurry. The shipping is pricey, but if you message the sellers asking for a shipping break on quantity, you'll get it for cheaper.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Check cultilux out for bulbs. I am in no way affiliated or know any one who is, they have just have been the best I have found and they have customer service.

Lyfespan

Damn. Everyone with perspective heart's just sank for you :comfort: Are you okay? You need to take better care of yourself. LoL.

its been tough, especially now that im also getting another spot up and running. and one man show, i trust no one at my spots

while i do enjoy the time with them, theres so much to be doing

This is very true I know the feeling. However, I just find it far more beneficial to the plants to spend as little time watering them as possible and instead manicure them, care for clones, and moms. Damn even with a wand that is a shit load of watering and no room for the Flu or other life maladies that always crop up.

it got really bad while working both spots, it was just craziness. and really burns you out

That’s rough. As you know your time is better spent elsewhere. A lot of guys claim that it’s valuable time spent with your plants but I disagree. I personally clean and inspect several times a week and it’s much easier to focus on one important task at a time imo. With watering by hand I would just zone out lol.i can’t help you with dosers but would be more then happy to with just a basic watering system. Let me know 🤙🤙

people tend to forget that warehouse grows take so much round the clock work. keeping everything in motion is so much for one person. then go and dump hand trimming on top of it all every 2 months and yeah im over the nonautomation.

gmanwho

Veteran
i switched to floraflex nutes for this grow, so far i‘m impressed how ph stable it is. quite expensive though, as i only found one source in europe so far. but not having to adjust ph anymore makes it more than worthwhile for me.

hopefully floraflex does a black friday sale again. they did a 50% off last time. my thinking is i bought enough to last me a full year. hope to get the same deal black friday or cyber monday 2020. orrrrrrr learn my own blends by then, sourcing directly from manufacturers an not a company that blends the ingredients they purchase from the source, blend, then throw their sticker on it. an charge 4-10x. i had a good time debating with hgv nutes denial about that.

i like jacks calnit mag for veg, but not so much for flower. i always feel things arent as terp rich as i have done with others. need to experiment again in flower with adding different micros, fulvics etc, hand water organic teas in once a week, shit like that

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
hopefully floraflex does a black friday sale again. they did a 50% off last time. my thinking is i bought enough to last me a full year. hope to get the same deal black friday or cyber monday 2020. orrrrrrr learn my own blends by then, sourcing directly from manufacturers an not a company that blends the ingredients they purchase from the source, blend, then throw their sticker on it. an charge 4-10x. i had a good time debating with hgv nutes denial about that.

i like jacks calnit mag for veg, but not so much for flower. i always feel things arent as terp rich as i have done with others. need to experiment again in flower with adding different micros, fulvics etc, hand water organic teas in once a week, shit like that
Seems there’s always codes for 40% off floraflex which just makes it appear that they are priced 40% high.
Quit the games and just price it accordingly floraflex.

liftedfellow

Thanka a lot Eric, Ibechillin, Absolem, 40 and the many more great people contributing to this fantastic thread. Together with the Coco Trees thread this is pure gold and at least among the very best to be found on Coco on IC, if not all the interwebs. Helped keeping me sane during these lockdown times. As did the occasional puff but not pass, of course. Highly appreciated!

respect.gif
:thank you::wahey::bow::whee:

liftedfellow

Questions

Questions

Konnichiwa Eric-san!

Greetings from across the pond! Hope you and yours are well and your karate game is going as strong as the impressive, no nonsense OP documented here. Combing through this fine thread time and again, a few questions came to my humble mind.
a) Is my understanding correct in that you currently have two IBCs, each feeding one of the FLO rooms, which in turn are partitioned into three zones via solenoids, corresponding to the three rows of lights and plants per room?

b) Do you run aeration or circulation pumps in the IBCs? Couldn’t make out any such lines going into the them, so I am just wondering. Since aeration would throw PH out of whack, that would necessitate a PH controller/adjuster to remain within the desired range. Especially, if the tank were to last more than a few days or a week, say. Right?

So, basically dissolved oxygen content and salts falling out of solution over time would be my main concerns, or rather questions, here. Proper mixing procedures undoubtedly go a long way towards avoiding fall-out.

c) Could you please, if it isn't too much of an inconvenience, elaborate a bit further on your irrigation / fertigation system, especially with a view to solenoid setup (zoning) and controlling these?:prettyplease: Really interesting stuff! Bewildering breath of information out there on these apparently ubiquitous solenoids. I was hoping you could perhaps point me in the right direction, based on what works for you.

Furthermore, is there anything you would design differently in light of your experiences so far? Of course, we would all love unlimited budgets every now and then but apart from that, I mean.

d) Do you use drip clean, pool cleaner, yukka or something similar to prevent clogging dem lines and drip drips? If so, at what application rate and in what intervals? What is your maintenance routine for drip systems, tanks and pipes?

e) Do fertiliser regimens differ between the two FLO rooms? Obviously, VEG is different, as outlined previously. But besides choosing (and keeping) cultivars based on how well they perform in your set-up, as well as grouping cultivars based on the similarities of their needs and profiles, are there any other methods or techniques you use to accommodate individual needs a particular cultivar might have? Foliar feeds, teas, extra hand feeding and amending, additives or something along those lines?

In particular, I was thinking of the GMO cut you are running. Given there is Chem D in there, and seeing how Chems, Diesels and OGs tend to love comparatively elevated Cal/Mag levels - let alone slightly divergent N profiles - , is said GMO cut happy with your regimen? Any tweaks? Definitely made a note not to de-leaf too aggressively.

How do you generally deal with outliers? Just straight axing and nexting because of the pressures that be (tyranny of profit, ever shrinking margins and competition)? Or would there be a market for 10+ week strains in, say, your neck of the woods? Not blaming the player here. There still seem to be a lot of kinks to be worked out in this game, i.e. most recreational and medical markets - as well as the greyer ones. Also a lot to be said about educating customers and and their willingness to pay that quality premium.

Mainly interested in how you balance quality and exclusivity with profitability; and whether you’d see a market for 10+ week strains (flower and/or extract) grown indoor versus the ever widening ranks of faster (hype) hybrids - with quite often pretty muddied effects and terps.

Also, if not mistaken, the GMO loves an extra mile or two in FLO. Did read and hear anything from 10 to 12 weeks to be bee's-knees-territory, with most tending towards 12 to max out on terps and yield. A harvest window quite reminiscent of ECSD (one of my island strains), by the way. Guess that trait runs strong and deep in the family. How long do you let the GMO go for, normally? Most of your other cuts (GG4, Sunday Driver, Cakes, etc.) seem to err more on the 8-9 weeks, mayhaps 10, side of things.

Does that cause you any problems or do they simply have to look forward to the same chop-chop date?

Apologies, this has become rather long winded. The pile of questions, though, is hardly even beginning to shrink. More knowledge begets more questions and I learned megatons here. A good thing, I hope you agree.

Deeply sorry if any answers already given were missed. Tried to make sure I didn't. Lack of sleep and general exhaustion would be to blame as we are in the process of building out a new facility with 16 hour shifts. Two weeks and counting. They do take their toll:bashhead:. Something you can appreciate, I am sure. Some of my questions might be a bit open ended. In those cases I am interested in your opinion and perspective.

Since you are a busy man, I would very much appreciate if you could find some time and help me answer these questions. Keywords would be perfectly fine as well as more detailed answers. If they are not too bloody misplaced or annoying, there are loads more questions:shucks:.

Big ups and domo arigato in advance.
tiphat.gif
I’m off to slaying dragons in LaLa-Land!

Lifedfellow

eric2028

Veteran
Konnichiwa Eric-san!

Greetings from across the pond! Hope you and yours are well and your karate game is going as strong as the impressive, no nonsense OP documented here. Combing through this fine thread time and again, a few questions came to my humble mind.
a) Is my understanding correct in that you currently have two IBCs, each feeding one of the FLO rooms, which in turn are partitioned into three zones via solenoids, corresponding to the three rows of lights and plants per room?

b) Do you run aeration or circulation pumps in the IBCs? Couldn’t make out any such lines going into the them, so I am just wondering. Since aeration would throw PH out of whack, that would necessitate a PH controller/adjuster to remain within the desired range. Especially, if the tank were to last more than a few days or a week, say. Right?

So, basically dissolved oxygen content and salts falling out of solution over time would be my main concerns, or rather questions, here. Proper mixing procedures undoubtedly go a long way towards avoiding fall-out.

c) Could you please, if it isn't too much of an inconvenience, elaborate a bit further on your irrigation / fertigation system, especially with a view to solenoid setup (zoning) and controlling these?:prettyplease: Really interesting stuff! Bewildering breath of information out there on these apparently ubiquitous solenoids. I was hoping you could perhaps point me in the right direction, based on what works for you.

Furthermore, is there anything you would design differently in light of your experiences so far? Of course, we would all love unlimited budgets every now and then but apart from that, I mean.

d) Do you use drip clean, pool cleaner, yukka or something similar to prevent clogging dem lines and drip drips? If so, at what application rate and in what intervals? What is your maintenance routine for drip systems, tanks and pipes?

e) Do fertiliser regimens differ between the two FLO rooms? Obviously, VEG is different, as outlined previously. But besides choosing (and keeping) cultivars based on how well they perform in your set-up, as well as grouping cultivars based on the similarities of their needs and profiles, are there any other methods or techniques you use to accommodate individual needs a particular cultivar might have? Foliar feeds, teas, extra hand feeding and amending, additives or something along those lines?

In particular, I was thinking of the GMO cut you are running. Given there is Chem D in there, and seeing how Chems, Diesels and OGs tend to love comparatively elevated Cal/Mag levels - let alone slightly divergent N profiles - , is said GMO cut happy with your regimen? Any tweaks? Definitely made a note not to de-leaf too aggressively.

How do you generally deal with outliers? Just straight axing and nexting because of the pressures that be (tyranny of profit, ever shrinking margins and competition)? Or would there be a market for 10+ week strains in, say, your neck of the woods? Not blaming the player here. There still seem to be a lot of kinks to be worked out in this game, i.e. most recreational and medical markets - as well as the greyer ones. Also a lot to be said about educating customers and and their willingness to pay that quality premium.

Mainly interested in how you balance quality and exclusivity with profitability; and whether you’d see a market for 10+ week strains (flower and/or extract) grown indoor versus the ever widening ranks of faster (hype) hybrids - with quite often pretty muddied effects and terps.

Also, if not mistaken, the GMO loves an extra mile or two in FLO. Did read and hear anything from 10 to 12 weeks to be bee's-knees-territory, with most tending towards 12 to max out on terps and yield. A harvest window quite reminiscent of ECSD (one of my island strains), by the way. Guess that trait runs strong and deep in the family. How long do you let the GMO go for, normally? Most of your other cuts (GG4, Sunday Driver, Cakes, etc.) seem to err more on the 8-9 weeks, mayhaps 10, side of things.

Does that cause you any problems or do they simply have to look forward to the same chop-chop date?

Apologies, this has become rather long winded. The pile of questions, though, is hardly even beginning to shrink. More knowledge begets more questions and I learned megatons here. A good thing, I hope you agree.

Deeply sorry if any answers already given were missed. Tried to make sure I didn't. Lack of sleep and general exhaustion would be to blame as we are in the process of building out a new facility with 16 hour shifts. Two weeks and counting. They do take their toll:bashhead:. Something you can appreciate, I am sure. Some of my questions might be a bit open ended. In those cases I am interested in your opinion and perspective.

Since you are a busy man, I would very much appreciate if you could find some time and help me answer these questions. Keywords would be perfectly fine as well as more detailed answers. If they are not too bloody misplaced or annoying, there are loads more questions:shucks:.

Big ups and domo arigato in advance.View Image I’m off to slaying dragons in LaLa-Land!

Lifedfellow
Thank you for the kind words. I ll break your questions down to several posts as I’ve drank several beers at this point lol.
So irrigation, I run 1 zone per room. I have a manifold before the pump and after. I have two valves wired to one zone on my controller. One Rez per room. So one Rez opens with its corresponding room. I have a mechanical ball valve at the manifold before the pump and your standard rain bird after the pump. Mechanical is necessary before the pump because there’s not enough pressure to open and close your standard rain it’s valve. I m happy to give you exact details on my equipment. I ll go into more detail about the inside of the rooms soon. Here’s a pic

picture.php

liftedfellow

Cheers!

Cheers!

Damn, that was fast. Thanks for taking the time and the quick response. Helped me a lot and cleared up a few misunderstandings.

:laughing: Mate, nothing wrong with a few pints for posterity! Though, I had no intention of pushing readers into inebriation just to cope. Well, after the fact, it dawned on me reading the whole shebang might be a bit taxing (working towards 50 posts and the rights they bring). Slightly blushing here. Hope no readers were / will be hurt in the process. Good lord, was I out of it. Couldn't even type me alias proper:biggrin:. Add amply catering to my endo-cannabinoid system and the rambling mess of a post above hopefully makes a bit more sense.

Currently, I am not allowed to edit but could "add to (my own) reputation" rather than others'?! Not complaining, just seems a bit off to me. Anyways, the longer post above seemed less spam-ish than breaking it up into a bunch of smaller ones.

Anyway, meant every word of it. No empty flattery. Otherwise I would go nuts on insta, rather than spending the precious few remaining minutes of leisure a day on a forum I thoroughly enjoy.

On the topic of beer: my brother living in Mass mentioned at least some brewers stateside face CO2 shortages due to reduced ethanol production. Hope you're all stocked up on strategic bevvy supplies ;).

liftedfellow

Questions: Irrigation System

Questions: Irrigation System

Thank you for the kind words. I ll break your questions down to several posts as I’ve drank several beers at this point lol.
So irrigation, I run 1 zone per room. I have a manifold before the pump and after. I have two valves wired to one zone on my controller. One Rez per room. So one Rez opens with its corresponding room. I have a mechanical ball valve at the manifold before the pump and your standard rain bird after the pump. Mechanical is necessary before the pump because there’s not enough pressure to open and close your standard rain it’s valve. I m happy to give you exact details on my equipment. I ll go into more detail about the inside of the rooms soon. Here’s a pic

View Image

Ah, I see. Thank you for going out of your way and linking a new pic. Getting the gist of it now, me thinks!:woohoo::tiphat:

For reference, your initial post on the irrigation system might be useful to other readers, as well: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8584803&postcount=108

So just to make sure, am I on the right track so far?

The controller simultaneously opens, say, valves C I (VEG tank) and C II (VEG room) according to the preset / program in place for that zone. Same procedure for the other pairs of valves or zones - just with staggered schedules. One and the same pump supplies each of the rooms (FLO I & II + VEG), hence.

It's been a while since the initial irrigation post, so I'm assuming you are no longer running two zones off of a single tank, right?

Is the box in the bottom right corner a timer controlling just the pump or both the pump and the controller? Both the pump and the valves start and open at the same time, with the receiving zone's valve and pump shutting off slightly later, to push remaining solution into the target zone, correct?

Sorry, prolly not seeing the forest for the trees here, but what do you mean by "standard rain birds"?

The mechanical valve you mentioned is meant to facilitate flushing and cleaning pipes, pump and reservoirs as well as reservoir changes, when necessary?

What about possible points of failure, i.e. expected lifetime and outright failure, with a view to both the pump and - especially - the ball valves? Any brands you'd avoid or recommend?