What's new

220w pl-l coco scrog cupboard

mad librettist

Veteran
those wasps sound like predators! Or parasites... What kind of wasp? Knowing your part of the world, they or the moths are killing you as we speak by eating your isles of langerhans.

anyway, it's grubs you should be looking for, or caterpillars. I can't see the antennae, got a shot?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Hmmm I didn't even think they might be predators, wow. They did all seem to be dead as it happens. :chin:

I didn't see any antenna though. If you can't see it, it's not there! The critters are half an inch or less so it's super magnified. Got a thread up on the infirmary so I'll see what develops. Thanks a lot man.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Baby Cicadas brother, pretty sure they aren't a problem, but anyone playing @ home please chime in and prove me wrong.

Peace

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
My pleasure brother scrubz, we are all here to learn and help when can. I think they are harmless to cannabis though, I never seemed to have a problem with them on any of my old plants outside, but they were definitely around. But I am open to evidence/suggestions on what they are and damage caused.
Peace and Gardening Y'All.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yeah I'm sure I've seen this same thing somewhere too, maybe in a veggie garden. Ah well, shouldn't be a drama. :yes: I'm really liking being back to coco and hydro nutes. So easy, especially with rain water.

I took my cannabutter waste clump of oily weed and am soaking it in fresh AEM to see how it goes breaking it down. It's in a sealed take-out container.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Go for a walk around outside and check out the surrounding trees @ your place bro, and you should see the outer shells of the cicadas that they have shed, stuck to the trees usually high up on the main trunks of the trees, I actually am trying to boot up the memory banks to remember what the little buggers would eat, oh well not much luck there, off to the interwebs I go.
Revegs look on track bro, you given them light veg nutes hey? what light schedule you using? You make any seeds with that cross?? Awesome to hear that it's a good smoke, the D x PD of mine is just incredible, can't wait to run the f2's and then put the original male over some of the new girls and see what happens, want to go up to about 5 generations with this strain and do some backcrossing with them to find some really good keepers as well as see what happens when a KQR male is put over them, just for shits and giggles of course, I imagine the KQR is the absolute bomb anways, can't wait to get some of these going too, it's going to be a great year in growing I can feel it.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yes mate, in the past I've actually found cicada shells in the exact area where the plants are so I'm pretty sure that's them.

I gave the revegees one half dose of seasol and fish emulsion, and one of plain rain water last night. They're on 18/6. I'll give em more food next time as well as herbal extract.

I did end up dusting some pollen on a couple of them, but the male was near dead, and it was a Leda Uno male. I think the pollen was exhausted because it didn't seem to work.

Backcrossing! I've been meaning to read up on that. Sounds like a plan, man. :smokey:

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Cool bro, spewing about the male not doing it, but you got the revegs happening :dance013: that's basically how I do it, except I use little bit of superthrive and fish emulsion with 18/6 :biggrin: Backcrossing will be fun :clock watch: :smokeit:

Peace.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yeah all groovy - I'll do the fem seed thing with 'em anyway. Hopefully so it works this time, heh.

The butter turned out quite good! Stronger than the last batch and really low taste. I reprocessed it today and I might even do it again! Man, it's nice. Very pale green. I made a dipping sauce and you couldn't taste a thing and now I'm wrecked hahaha.

Hey do you remember that chilli cutting I put in a perlite hempy cup? Well, it still isn't showing roots! A few days after taking that cutting, a branch snapped off another chilli plant and I stuck it in a cup of water, and used a turkey baster to aerate the water a few times a day, and it grew roots! I potted that up today. :)

Edit: in a way it's more convenient that I don't have males. I can still breed female #1 with female #2 etc, and I would have a clearer idea what traits I'm mixing. I don't think I'll miss males.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
You're right bro, I've been reading up on the CS thread and I've got some CS solution to use on the cuttings from the 1 reveg I've managed to keep going, wouldn't mind seeing you do it again though :thinking: I want to give it a go on the D x PD f2's, just in case my male dies off:fright: Love the idea of fem seed though some breeders don't agree with it and prefer the traditional method, I'd like to give it a go :covereyes: Love the new smilies. Keep cooking up ya butter bro, you'll refine the recipe to just where ya like it :greenstars:
Peace.

mad librettist

Veteran
screw males! I had this one all lined up for pollen donation. He's transgendered! Fine for people, not for weed!

DSCF0010-2.jpg

DSCF0011-4.jpg

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Rock on boom, yup, loving the smilies. I cracked up when I saw: :whiteflag:

Hey Madlib, look up reverse hermies. Check it:

This is what DJ Short says about reverse hermaphrodites.

"Backward" hermaphrodites are declared males that eventually sport female flowers (as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites). These are rare occurrences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I found to be genetically valuable. Many resinous and desirable males exhibit this trait, which almost guarantees against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female-to-male ratio in its progeny.
:dance013:

Edit: Boom, I'll be CSing as soon as I get grown clones. It's real easy though, go for it! :yes:

Also, if you have a few spare bob floating around, The Cannabis Breeder's Bible is fucking amazing. It covers everything, and then some. I almost typed out the table of contents to give you an idea but it's too long. They go into everything you could imagine, right down to chromasone modification and tissue culture as well as things like long term tactics you should be aiming for in making your crosses etc. How you can make every seed display the trait you want, instead of some or most, etc etc. Great book.

Last edited:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Did the pistils brown off when you tried? Sounds similar to my situation with femming the Pure. I never did find any seeds yet, just 2 or so hollow ones, despite the pistils browning.

mad librettist

Veteran
yup, same deal.

I'm not into this hermie thing, I don't care who says it's good. I say chop all the hermies and throw away all their seeds.

Unscientific, I know. But one reason I like my blue burmese plant so much i that it refuses to hermie, even if i fuck up the lights or open the cab after dark or put them through stress.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
But one reason I like my blue burmese plant so much i that it refuses to hermie, even if i fuck up the lights or open the cab after dark or put them through stress.

I dig where you're coming from, and it's not my job to change anyone's mind, but if you CS it, it's gonna hermie. Then you'll (likely) have only those "hermie resistant" genetics in the seed, and as a bonus, all female. Seems like a good deal to me but hey :dance013:

So if you want to make seed without hermies, you'll have to use a male. What kind of female traits is the male carrying? (meaning, what sort of a female flower does this male make? How many trichs? Thick colas or wispy foxtails?) And are you going to grow the male all the way through so you know it's not gonna hermie like yours, only later? I know a lot of us use males and then rip them out well before they've actually finished and been observed.

Contrast that with femming/selfing where you know exactly how that pollen is going to influence the female characteristics. And you know it isn't likely to create hermies because look at the genetics you used - your hermie proof blue burmese and no other genetics were added.

mad librettist

Veteran
I'm with you scrub, but I don't really consider a plant that hermies because of CS to be a stigmatized hermie. Not like a stress-hermie or light poisoning hermie or just plain look at it and it hermies. My blue burmese is a perfect candidate for CS.

If I had some CS I wouldn't have a failed seed grow!

That said, isn't it better for us to keep the genetic diversity going by occasionally using a real male that is evaluated throughout its cycle for desirable traits? Not for the micro grower I guess.

And THAT said, if anyone raises a plant that won't respond to CS, now that is a keeper whose genes need to be disseminated.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hey bud I'm not sure that CS would have worked for you either. Sterile, I would assume, is sterile, full stop. Like how I only got hollow seeds, and my friend said something about getting hollow seeds when he tried to make F2 seeds of The Pure that I was working with.

So this one of yours, the reverse herm, are you still growing it? I would, and maybe it might produce viable pollen later?...dunno though.

I got my spinosad, yay.

Latest posts

Latest posts