What's new

220w pl-l coco scrog cupboard

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Hahaha yes you should! Damn, even I'm struggling at the moment - times are tight! Yeah I think it will mostly be water until things perk up. If they perk up. I have no idea how far in I am, I should check that. I'm just trying to decide what to do for the next grow now (the PK). I'm thinking one plant + smart pot + coco + new bottle of hydro nutes (flora nova for a change). I really want to do some kind of auto system with a res but I'm pretty dumb in that area. :whistling:

Glad your seeds are doing well too. I ended up lightly ferting a couple of PD crosses with the Leda Uno pollen. Might get something cool ya never know :D The 3 Leda Uno girls are pretty well seeded and I suspect will be decent when grown properly. :yes:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey scrub i looked back a few pages to see but couldnt find it - how far into flowering are you? the plants dont look too bad to me - i find the lower leaves that arent getting much light will die back and their nutrients be recycled..

V.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hey Verdant. I don't have an exact day for flower because I flipped them before they were mature. But they sprouted 8th November and I flipped them 1st December. They look to me like they'd have about a month to go. Maybe less.

The light seems pretty bright down low. Even with my poor eyesight I could make out a fungus gnat on the perlite at 10 paces :) The canopy is quite sparse and even 2 PLLs covers a lot of area well.

The biggest issue is that the yellowing is now at the tops of the plants too, and the random blotchyness was becoming more noticable. But I'm quietly confident it's getting better. I should take pics but I'll save them for tomorrow when I slide the plants out. Should have a better idea what's happening then too. :yes:

Thanks for looking in!

oldbootz

Veteran
hey scrub, my plants seem to be doing the same thing even with epsom and trace element feeds with fulvic acid. none of the top leaves are going yellow though, only the bottom oldest ones. im thinking it might just be this strains way of shedding useless leaves. the new growth comes out nice and green and looks really healthy. i was thinking about your issue. if you're using fish emulsion to feed and its not working then there might be a biological deficiency? if you have a spare plant showing the issues, maybe try using a chemical fertilizer high in N to see if bypassing the organic process gets rid of the problem, coz if it does then you know for sure that your micro organisms are not doing a good enough job of breaking down the fish emulsion and feeding the plant. sometimes with organics the anaerobic bacterias overwhelm the aerobic ones and the plant suffers if its being fed organic nutes.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
if you're using fish emulsion to feed and its not working then there might be a biological deficiency?

G'day bro. Yeah I suspect this is what happened too. I don't know how because I applied so many aerated teas. Most of the fish emulsion applications were a tea themselves. I also added bio-bugs as well as other microbial sources occasionally. My soil mix was kinda damp but like I say, I could never overwater it to the point of it showing any symptoms of overwatering. Right at this stage I water every day or two, but 3 days is too dry.

To tell the truth until 5 minutes ago I was under the impression N gets taken up without the bacterial process, but it seems I was misguided about that. :whistling:

I was sorta thinking about hitting one with hydro nutes and observe, lol. But at this point, the rams horns make me think no more food is wanted.

Thanks a lot bro, hope yours pick up. :yes:

oldone

I'm thinking one plant + smart pot + coco + new bottle of hydro nutes (flora nova for a change). I really want to do some kind of auto system with a res but I'm pretty dumb in that area.

Hi Scrub,

I am a having all kinds of trouble with my vegging bagseed plants(in soil) too. Yellowing blotchy leaves and red stems but new growth looks great for a while. I've read all kinds of posts and it could be low temps/humidity, genetics, Ph problems, nute problems, moon cycles...you get the idea.

I am about ready to give up soil and recently built a wick cloner. It works fantastic (so far) and I'm thinking of using it for my moms (I will flower in an Ebb and Flow system). Wick is very old school and it may be something you want to check out.

As always thanks for sharing your experiences,
OO

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Man I was just reading about wicking yesterday! I was thinking of trying a perlite cloner where the water is in the bottom and it soaks up.

Did your soil mix follow a known succesful recipe? Or did you just pile lots of stuff in because it sounded good (my problem, lol). I'm going to keep up with organics but not as my main grow, and I will follow the recipes. :)

My current idea for the PK grow is to use perlite or coco/perlite in a smart pot and have a res nearby and an aquarium pump with a venturi fitting that draws air bubbles into the water flow. And have that constantly dribbling a stream of nutes onto the medium's surface. No idea what it would be called though. Constant recirculating dribble?

Edit: by the way, perlite = no fungus gnats and cheap/free.

oldone

Man I was just reading about wicking yesterday! I was thinking of trying a perlite cloner where the water is in the bottom and it soaks up.
Jeeze Scrub, talk about a psychic connection. Thats exactly what I built. 8 days, clones from my sick plants and they *still* look like the day I put them in. No rooting hormones used and I have not touched them since day one. Perlite/RO water seems to be the perfect substrate, but we will see.

Did your soil mix follow a known succesful recipe? Or did you just pile lots of stuff in because it sounded good (my problem, lol).
Na, I bought what I could get in November in Canada, some kind of "pro" seedling mix... not a great selection. I tried to determine my soil's Ph, but based on the results observed I must have made a mistake somewhere.

My research has found that wick should "...do better than soil, but not as good as full hydro...". For such an old school approach there is surprisingly little info on wick moms. The principle problem seems to be when the mom's roots make into the rez and the die. I like the thought that I can control the exact nute/Ph that the plant sees. And I'm terribly lazy...

later,
OO

ScrubNinja

Veteran
There are just so many options, aren't there...and then they can all be hybridized. It gets confusing for a poor stoner like me. :smoke: I knocked a rack of chip packets over in the store today :eek:: Damn thc pills!

Well, I will get some pics up tonight. Stay tuned. Anything could happen!

Helis

Edit: by the way, perlite = no fungus gnats and cheap/free.
This is one of the reasons I use it... Though the tiny/cheap stuff drives me nuts! I like the idea of the recirculating spittle, been thinking a lot about similar things meself.
Probably going to eventually evolve my moms to be all in one bin with wick'd veg nutes. The "passive plant killer" has me thinking a lot lately. I don't like airstones but there is a wonderful world outside them...

:smoke: I knocked a rack of chip packets over in the store today
Anything could happen indeed :biggrin:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hehe, I think I posted it in the other thread, but I went to buy a big 100 or 120 litre bag of perlite the other day, and the dude gave it to me for free! He just said "the boss isn't here today, have it!" :biglaugh: It's actually classed as "seconds" but that just means extra chunky. It's great. And even when you do have to pay for it, it's only $5 per bag!!! If I buy it at the hardware store they charge nearly ten bucks for a 5 litre bag, lol. I figure it would be a great medium to to get skilled with!

I really like the idea of airstones or air input in general. I'd like to do my plan above but coco and also have an airstone buried at the bottom of the medium. :dance013:

superpedro

Veteran
To tell the truth until 5 minutes ago I was under the impression N gets taken up without the bacterial process, but it seems I was misguided about that.
If your "fish stuff" contains N rich proteins, you need bacteria (nitrosomonas) to make enzymes to break it apart and to oxidize NH4-> NO2-> to finally get NO3..

If the N is already available as an ion/salt in your solution, the plant won't need bacteria to use it. ;)

I use a top layer of leca against gnats. :)

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Thanks Pedro - understood. I have no idea why I thought that, I must have been a bit high :smoke: So, considering how much I fed them with no effect, I guess this means I had a non functioning soil biology?

They are looking not too bad today. It was either the epsom or the worm castings but it definitely has made an impact. Hopefully you see what I mean by the colour coming back, and there's also examples of the blotching and the rams horns. Oh yeah, and the BUDZ :cool:

DSCF3428.JPG
DSCF34181.JPG
DSCF3420.JPG
DSCF3405.JPG
DSCF34431.JPG
DSCF3430.JPG

lol I scaled it wrong :whistling:
DSCF3402.JPG
DSCF3391.JPG

Yup not too bad considering :)

Here are the Leda Uno's I've made some seeds with. This is about as big as the buds get although I've not had a good look.

lu5.JPG
lu4.JPG
lu3.JPG
lu2.JPG
lu1.JPG

I just put the perlite layer on top of these before the pics. Seems to be working good in the cupboard despite the air pot holes. Maybe the DE has helped too but basically it's all good in that department. :yes:

Helis

Yes! The new canopy is filling in nice, looks like its starting to frost up well.

And that's a good amount of seed production you've got there. Looks healthy :)

Oh... And I am not against air circulation just airstones & airpumps. I have always found them a hassle and do not move water well enough IMO. Have yet to try air "curtains" but have heard they are better... I put 60gph aquarium pumps in my reservoirs now and run them 24/7. Much happier, cleaner res. Totally silent. Might try a run of tomatoes in "Flooming" Water Culture next to my airstone-powered tomato DWC and see if it works...

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Thank you all for the interest and the compliments :)

Helis, I agree about using a water pump to aerate. I did experiment with keeping a res in my first indoor grow and I used a water pump to keep that fresh. It makes sense, being that it's so quiet. The venturi just seems like an extra easy thing to add in. My friend showed me some dude doing hydro where the water just rushes around, seems like the way to go.

If you follow the info shared by mcrobe man, I believe he uses pumping/dumping it onto the surface, venturi, and air diffusers. Instead of stones or wands, he uses PVC piping and gets a place to cut ribs through it, measured in microns, very fine. I never understood why dwc guys don't lazer cut their own diffusers. It seems great from MMs description and he uses a DO meter and makes a living out of it. It seems to me like if it can handle compost teas, it can handle dwc without blocking.

Mind you, all that process is loud as hell. For micro I think a water pump is a great idea. :):yes:

Last edited:

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Hey Scrub..
I was reading back a bit how you want to use a perlite cloner..That is a great idea..I've read many good things on that subject...
Hope all turns out well for you

Latest posts

Latest posts