What's new

2022 Outdoor Gardening in the Northeast

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Getting to be that time of year 😁. This will be the second year in the new garden spot so fingers crossed for an even better year. Just got it cleaned up, marked out, and ready to till 40 # of rice hulls in tomorrow. Gonna get the k3 soil test from spectrum labs for $108 as they don't do k2 test anymore. Here is a test from umass that's pretty insufficient, it will be fun to compare the 2. Also, @chunky believe the reason you had me look into p instead of n is that p should be balanced with the molecular weight of k in ppm which should be = to mg but not more than 5% base saturation ?🤞😁.

full

full

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Sulfur = elemental Potassium = elemental Phosphorus in PPMs as a rough rule of thumb although I've been pushing sulfur higher and it helps the flavor.

you want to look into N too, it will be on the Spectrum test. ouch on the $108 tho...

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Sulfur = elemental Potassium = elemental Phosphorus in PPMs as a rough rule of thumb although I've been pushing sulfur higher and it helps the flavor.

you want to look into N too, it will be on the Spectrum test. ouch on the $108 tho...
Yeah not loving the 108 but I do want to know where I am at. I don't have to specify that I want it in ppm for the k3 right?

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Fuck I need a different body as mine is falling apart but I did get the garden tilled. Got down deeper (@6-8) inches than last year (@3-4 inches) with a better tiller (mid tine) that I rented. Hit it with one pass to get deep and broken up then spread 40 # rice hulls and went back over it all a few times to mix. It's still a heavy soil with lots of clay but it's getting better and that's the goal 😁.

full

full

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Fresh off the printer the k3 test.

full

And nitrogen
full
I don't know why they did a separate N test, it's included on the K#, figures are in the second column.

OK you can see on the base saturations the %'s don't add up to 100...

here's how they look using the Melich 3 test numbers.

OG noman base sat using M3.png

substituting the AA8.2 test results in ppms for Ca gives these percentages.

OG no man base saturations KC 5.20.23.png

Raising K to 370ppms and 5% of base saturation and raising P to match K. Zn to 1/10th of P, Cu to 1/2 of Zn. Fe to 1/3rd K and Mn to 120% of Fe. B to 1/1000th Ca.

OG no man desired values K3 5.20.23.png

once to get your calculations up for plot size and bulk density up I can show how to calculate amounts.

you have the lowest test scores for N that I've seen so far, 3 ppms.

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 11.51.54 PM.png

do you plan to be water only or liquid feeds this season?

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
so this will be an easy soil to balance, it just needs some K to fix the base saturation, Agsil is probably a good choice since it won't bring any S. it's soluble and can be used in liquid feeds too.

iron, manganese, zinc, and copper sulfates to fix micros along with some Borax for Boron.

several routes to raising P, bone meals, triple super phosphate or seabird guano.

chicken manure pellets are a good source of N, P, and K and are cheap, I use them.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
you got your bulk density math too?, that has to right also.

dry soil in 200 degree oven stirring until dry, measure volume in milliliters/cubic centimeters, weigh soil.

bulk density = soil weight / soil volume

then we can calculate amendments.

you need people to check your math with this, especially if you've been smoking Chem D...

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Was thinking water only for the first month. Top dress with some bio alive and worm castings weekly and or water in some Alaskan fish a couple times (once in July and once in August). What brand chicken manure you using and where are you getting it?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Was thinking water only for the first month. Top dress with some bio alive and worm castings weekly and or water in some Alaskan fish a couple times (once in July and once in August). What brand chicken manure you using and where are you getting it?
we should talk on the phone about what you want to use so I can choose products you can access without going crazy. dm me a good time to call.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
this should be easy to find near you and under a dollar a pound, the hardware stores and Ag supplies near me that carry this brand typically carry small 4# bags of potash and other sulfates.

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 2.14.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 2.21.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 2.22.05 PM.png

I like to buy my amendments in 50# bags at the organic feed supplies. I just recently found a custom fertilizer mixer close to me that carries most everything I want really cheap and will sell by the pound as well as 50# bags, worth searching for these types of businesses near you so you don't have to get everything at an inflated price from a mail order or hydro shop.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
OK I'm going to start with the soil rec. first the tested values and the targets.

OG no man targets.png

this is what the calculation tool looks like in excel, the soil bulk density is part of the calculation.

OG no man boron.png

Boron target is keyed at 1/1000th of Ca.

So using Borax, 11% elemental Boron to raise one yard of the soil 2.2 ppms it takes 10.4 grams, multiplied by 6.3 total yards for 65.5 grams Borax total needed. by a box in the detergent section of your grocery store and keep it in an airtight container to use again in the future next season.

with the following sulfates notice that they all contribute to our Sulfur ppm total.

Manganese we will key to 120% of Fe.

Manganese will be a larger one of the micros. when you actually buy some we will need to use the actual figures on your bag, one I looked at is 31% Mn and 18% Sulfur.

og no man Manganese.png

So 132.4 grams Manganese Sulfate per yard x 6.3 yards = 834 grams, get 4#'s so you are ready for expansion...

Zinc is keyed at 10% of P.

Zinc Sulfate 33% Zn 15% S

og no man zinc.png

37.2 grams needed x 6.3 yards =234 grams needed. Hi-Yield bags are 4#s smaller sizes on Amazon...

Iron keyed to 1/3rd of K

Ferrous Sulfate 30% Fe 18% S

og no man Fe.png

40.9 grams x 6.3 yards = 258 grams needed.

Copper is keyed to 1/2 of Zn.

Copper Sulfate 25.5% Cu 12.8% S

og no man copper.png

48 grams per yard x 6.3 yards = 302 grams total, hi yield 4# bags.

OK there's a micro shopping list, tomorrow I'll get on the macros for you...

Last edited:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Chunky, can I use copper sulfate pentahydrate 25.2% ? Also will zinc sulfate monohydrate 35.5 % work? Just ordered the manganese sulfate 4#. Going to ace soon to pick up hi yield iron sulfate 4#.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Chunky, can I use copper sulfate pentahydrate 25.2% ? Also will zinc sulfate monohydrate 35.5 % work? Just ordered the manganese sulfate 4#. Going to ace soon to pick up hi yield iron sulfate 4#.
yes those will work. see if they have the hi yield triple super phosphate while you are there and get a bag or 2... also see if they have the sulfate of potash (potassium sulfate)...

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
They do have sulfate of potash, how much do i need. I just picked this up
full

And this but the numbers are a little different so might need to re Calc amount to add
full

full

Latest posts

Latest posts