What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2011 MASTERS

trouble

Veteran
Yes my friends, it's that time of the year once again. Just 6 day's until one of the greatest sporting events in the world begins. A sporting event which is so deeply-rooted in tradition, that it makes mid-night mass at the Vatican look like a college fraternity toga party.

I'm already able to smell the tall Georgia Pines, Redbuds, Azalea's, Firethorn, and Golden Bell's, see the White & Pink Dogwoods swaying softly in the gentle Georgia breeze, and hear the roar of the gallery at Augusta National.

And what excitement does the most notorious, world renowned consecutive 3 holes (11th/12th/13th) known as "Amen Corner" have to share with us this year?

Will the added length at the 11th make the green-side pond more of a factor, because players will have longer shots into the green?

And on the 12th, how many balls will fall victim to Rae's Creek that protects the front of the narrow green & innocent looking azalea's the back? One of the most beautiful & photographed golf holes in the world.

The classic risk-rewarding par 5 13th with it's tributary of the creek, that never fails to take any players ball hostage who shot comes-up short.

With all the unrest, madness, and malice in the world today, The Masters gives me 4 days of relief from all the hostility, a safe refuge if only for 4 days. But more importantly it's a constant reminder that there are still many good & beautiful things left in this ole world, and reminds me that everything is going to be OK.

I'm fully aware that some members here dislike golf, and thats OK.
It's not for everyone, and the same reason they make many different flavors of ice cream, not everyone likes cookies & cream.

However, for those of you who enjoy the game, here's a thread we can share our thoughts, and vent next week April 7th through the final round on sunday April 10th.

I'll be held-up at home in front of my TV 4 consecutive days, drinking scotch, a little wine, perhaps a vodka martini or two, smoking some sweet-buds, and a few cuban cigars regardless of what my doctors say.

:wave:

trouble

Veteran
Just 5 more day's until the big boy's tee-it-up for the first round at Augusta National!

StellarP

ICMag Donor
Golf-equipment manufacturer Ping is threatening to leave its north Phoenix home of 45 years if the neighborhood continues to decline, its attorney says.

Phoenix will do all it can to prevent that from happening, according to a top city official.

The dispute between Ping and its neighbors came to light last week at the first use-permit hearings for medical-marijuana locations citywide.

While most of the applications sailed through without opposition, Stephen Earl, Ping's legal representative, objected strenuously to an applicant for a site at 1944 W. North Lane.

Ping is a block north of the North Lane site, on property north of Peoria Avenue and west of 19th Avenue, where it has been accumulating property since 1966. Earl told a Phoenix hearing officer that the company is considering investing $170 million to renovate its headquarters, but may not do so if the neighborhood decline continues. Ping has not announced its renovation plans publicly.

Earl said Ping brings in celebrities and professional golfers from all over the world, including college teams from across the country, for tours and club fittings. Because Ping customizes its clubs to buyers, the company is likely to see younger golfers.

Bringing them into a bad neighborhood reflects poorly on the company, he said. The neighborhood includes a striptease club, Centerfolds Cabaret; a lingerie store, Fascinations; and a hemp-products store is on the horizon.

Earl said the neighborhood has become a "hotbed of deleterious uses," including the possible medical-marijuana outlet.

The use permit was granted despite Ping's opposition. After the hearing, Earl told The Republic that moving is "an option that has to be on the table."

The attorney for the medical-marijuana applicants said they do not want to get into a fight with Ping.

"My clients just want an opportunity to run a business," said Lindsay Schube of the Valley law firm Beus Gilbert, which represented applicants Michelle Gilmore and Joseph Butler.

Deputy City Manager David Krietor, who oversees Phoenix's economic-development issues, said the city will do all it can to keep Ping happy. The company is one of Phoenix's key employers, he said. The number of employees could not be immediately verified, but an October 2007 Republic article reported the Phoenix headquarters' workforce at 800.

"This is an iconic product designed and made in Phoenix," Krietor said. "Shame on us if we don't do all we can to help them."

Ping generates wealth and could locate anywhere, unlike most other businesses in the area, he said.

Krietor is assembling a team of city staff members to look "strategically" at the neighborhood, he added, and will work with Ping "to improve how the community presents itself to the outside world."

Krietor could not say how such an approach might impact Centerfolds or the Hemp Mart, which plans a grand opening in April.

But city planning officials said there is little they can do to prevent such businesses from opening in areas where they meet all the zoning requirements.

Krietor said there has been "no real planning" in the area, wedged between Sunnyslope to the east and Metrocenter to the west. The neighborhood has been declining for years.

"We need to think about the impact our decisions make on a business like this," Krietor said.

Arizona voters in November approved medical marijuana, and dozens of dispensaries will be licensed by the state. To receive permits, applicants must meet a variety of city rules, including required distances from schools, churches, parks and homes. After obtaining their city permits, applicants must go to the Arizona Department of Health Services for licensing, a process that opens on May 1

I guess they don't know their target customer! Done with the Ping. Sorry to take in different direction, read this last week, saw golf, thought i would post up as this has bothered me since.

Cheers
StellarP

thighrod

Fukk I love the Master's, best weekend of the year if you ask me. Spring is in the air (well, most years anyway, lol) and a young man's fancy turns to golf - love it!

M

Mountain

The Masters rocks. Beautiful course, time of year with the azaleas in bloom and only WINNERS playing the game. The Daytona 500 of golf in some ways.

Electrician

I like Phil. Hes playing good this week and that might carry over into the masters. I wouldnt mind seeing Ernie take it down. Also I like Bubba hes fun to watch and playing pretty good this year.

MeltingPOT

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Phil's always a factor...I think Kaymer is fit for the type of golf it takes to plot around Augusta...Mahan would be a great champ...Cabrera crawl out of his cave for major #3? (right?)... It would make my weekend if the world's BEST player was in the mix coming down the stretch on Sunday. Yup, the dude with the swoosh on his hat.:)

Electrician

Phil's always a factor...I think Kaymer is fit for the type of golf it takes to plot around Augusta...Mahan would be a great champ...Cabrera crawl out of his cave for major #3? (right?)... It would make my weekend if the world's BEST player was in the mix coming down the stretch on Sunday. Yup, the dude with the swoosh on his hat.:)

yea you really can't ever count that guy out. He's bound to wake up sooner or later.

Tronic

3 Days until The Masters!

Gentlemen, who are your favorites?

espn3.com tomorrow for the par 3 contest!!

My favorites this year are Phil, Peter Ulehein (AM), Fowler (first masters-fits his game well), Anthony Kim (hot, playing well) and of course, Bernhard Langer (look at his history there - unreal).

Who will win? Who knows, but I'd bet a few $$ that 3 of my 5 finish in the top 20! Langer is a lock!

More thoughts after i've had a few bowls and can get my head together!
:wave: :dance013:

trouble

Veteran
espn3.com tomorrow for the par 3 contest!!

My favorites this year are Phil, Peter Ulehein (AM), Fowler (first masters-fits his game well), Anthony Kim (hot, playing well) and of course, Bernhard Langer (look at his history there - unreal).

Who will win? Who knows, but I'd bet a few $$ that 3 of my 5 finish in the top 20! Langer is a lock!

More thoughts after i've had a few bowls and can get my head together!
:wave: :dance013:

My Dear Friend, and my personal senior golf adviser Tronic, has finally joined us!

If Bernard were to win, it would be the greatest Masters win since Jack's last Green Jacket. And I would take joy in one of the older-mules on tour showing-up the youngsters.

Phil, is looking real good, and coming off nice win in Houston last week. Great confidence builder, for an already seasoned-vet, who has proven he can now close-out & win majors.

I like Anthony Kim, and would be trilled if he were to win his first green-jacket.

Ricky Fowler & Dustin J are my two young-gun favorites to have a chance.

I'm curious if Tiger will even make the cut? LOL!

Watney is playing well and I think capable of winning his first major. Someone to keep an eye on as well.

And I'm looking forward to the par 3 contest tomorrow as well. However, I shall be flipping the stations back & forth from the Masters Par 3 contest, and the Chelsea vs. Man United match.

I've been to several Master's and really wish I could be there for another this year.

Last edited:

Tronic

My Dear Friend, and my personal senior golf adviser Tronic, has finally joined us!

If Bernard were to win, it would be the greatest Masters win since Jack's last Green Jacket. And I would take joy in one of the older-mules on tour showing-up the youngsters.

Phil, is looking real good, and coming off nice win in Houston last week. Great confidence builder, for an already seasoned-vet, who has proven he can now close-out & win majors.

I like Anthony Kim, and would be trilled if he were to win his first green-jacket.

Ricky Fowler & Dustin J are my two young-gun favorites to have a chance.

I'm curious if Tiger will even make the cut? LOL!

And I'm looking forward to the par 3 contest tomorrow as well.

I've been to several Master's and really wish I could be there for another this year.

Humbled yet happy to be here! :blowbubbles:

First things first. Tiger is in the above list, I just did not want to state the obvious. If there is one player in the field who knows that golf course, it is Tiger-Fucking-Woods. Tiger just needs to put 4 rounds together, that's literally it. Anyone who thinks I'm full of it look at his record in 2010 and tell me that is not a GREAT season for ANYONE - PERIOD.

I like your D.Johnson pick, but have to respectfully replace him with Bubba Watson. As far as young guns go, Bubba has won recently not to mention his style - shotmaker who can putt. Dustin can't really, and overpowers golf courses with raw distance. Bubba can hit it far, but his true skills lie in his shotmaking abilities and absurdly creative shortgame.

The reason why the Masters is my favorite tournament is because the winner is always the one who can putt the best. Now, said putting contest is definitely a result of course knowledge, power, and absurd precision with the wedges. That's why the US AM winners almost always do well with their spot (if they accept the invitation) because they play the first two rounds with the past champion and the current US Open winner... I'd say those are two pretty good guys to follow around Augusta National for your first two rounds!!

If Langer wins, this youngin' will go jump in the Pacific Ocean! I love watching him play at the Masters, because he is the complete opposite of what a typical Masters champion is. The guy can't putt for his life! But what a wizard with those irons... every other one raw and rusted... love it.

Kim just needs to keep it together for 4 days - he is playing VERY well at the moment and Augusta is a good environment for him - no distractions (except his entire entourage... funny fact: their motto when they go out to party - no feelings, no ceilings :laughing:)

Fowler I only like because it is his first shot at the tournament. I don't realistically think he can win it, but I can see him finishing in the top 5 easily. I've played a bunch of golf with this kid, and his game fits Augusta very very well (think of a more refined Phil Mickelson).

And Phil, just because, like TIger, knows the course so god damn well, will play very good golf tee to green. Unlike Tiger (who can putt always), when Phil putts well - he tends to win. When he putts poorly, he wont finish in the top 30 / make the cut.

Wow, that was a long stream of consciousness - pardon the ramble. :tiphat:

thighrod

I guess they don't know their target customer! Done with the Ping. Sorry to take in different direction, read this last week, saw golf, thought i would post up as this has bothered me since.

Cheers
StellarP

This is pathetic, glad I chose TM over Ping last time I chose a driver...assholes.

chongsbuddy

Veteran
golf in the next olympics....yeee haw!!!!its about time,i dont know why they stopped that in the first place.im veryu excited about that.

trouble

Veteran
golf in the next olympics....yeee haw!!!!its about time,i dont know why they stopped that in the first place.im veryu excited about that.

I'm overjoyed to see golf return to the Olympics Venue as well.

However, I believe Rio only has like two golf courses, and one of them I think you have to putt your ball through a windmill and up a monkeys-ass on 18 to win a free ice cream cone?

However, I'm confident they will have the courses necessary built by the 2016 games. I know Jack Nicklaus has been taking with the International Golf Federation requesting to be architect for an Olympic course for the 2016 games in Rio.

I'm also excited to see Rugby Sevens confirmed for the Rio 2016 games. Perhaps the most exciting sport created by our British Brothers across the pond. Beats the hell out of cricket!

trouble

Veteran
Humbled yet happy to be here! :blowbubbles:

First things first. Tiger is in the above list, I just did not want to state the obvious. If there is one player in the field who knows that golf course, it is Tiger-Fucking-Woods. Tiger just needs to put 4 rounds together, that's literally it. Anyone who thinks I'm full of it look at his record in 2010 and tell me that is not a GREAT season for ANYONE - PERIOD.

I like your D.Johnson pick, but have to respectfully replace him with Bubba Watson. As far as young guns go, Bubba has won recently not to mention his style - shotmaker who can putt. Dustin can't really, and overpowers golf courses with raw distance. Bubba can hit it far, but his true skills lie in his shotmaking abilities and absurdly creative shortgame.

The reason why the Masters is my favorite tournament is because the winner is always the one who can putt the best. Now, said putting contest is definitely a result of course knowledge, power, and absurd precision with the wedges. That's why the US AM winners almost always do well with their spot (if they accept the invitation) because they play the first two rounds with the past champion and the current US Open winner... I'd say those are two pretty good guys to follow around Augusta National for your first two rounds!!

If Langer wins, this youngin' will go jump in the Pacific Ocean! I love watching him play at the Masters, because he is the complete opposite of what a typical Masters champion is. The guy can't putt for his life! But what a wizard with those irons... every other one raw and rusted... love it.

Kim just needs to keep it together for 4 days - he is playing VERY well at the moment and Augusta is a good environment for him - no distractions (except his entire entourage... funny fact: their motto when they go out to party - no feelings, no ceilings :laughing:)

Fowler I only like because it is his first shot at the tournament. I don't realistically think he can win it, but I can see him finishing in the top 5 easily. I've played a bunch of golf with this kid, and his game fits Augusta very very well (think of a more refined Phil Mickelson).

And Phil, just because, like TIger, knows the course so god damn well, will play very good golf tee to green. Unlike Tiger (who can putt always), when Phil putts well - he tends to win. When he putts poorly, he wont finish in the top 30 / make the cut.

Wow, that was a long stream of consciousness - pardon the ramble. :tiphat:

Tronic, this is exactly why I hired you as my personal golf adviser. For the wealth of knowledge you possess of not only on how to play, but your deeply rooted love for the history of the game.

Not to mention you services come very cheap.

BTW, due to the current global economic recession, we will be forced to re-negotiate your current contract.

trouble

Veteran
Par 3 challenge today.
woot

Today, I'll be working out my TV remote. The Masters Par 3 Challenge & the Chelsea vs. Man. United match tonight from across the pond will be on at the same time here.

I'm warming-up my remote flicker-finger at this moment.