What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2011 MASTERS

trouble

Veteran
Thursday April 7th 10:00 am EST

Masters Round 1

Player ---------------- Score-------Thru
H. Slocum -1 4
T. Clark -1 2
R. Fisher -1 6
J. Kelly -1 5
J. Overton -1 4
D. Johnson -1 3
S. O'Hiar -1 6
A. Baddelly -1 2

Here's your early Leader Board

:wave:

trouble

Veteran
Early 1st Round

Early 1st Round

Retief Goosen off to a great start.

He's -3 thru 3!

S

Stray

starting to do my nut in already....'GET IN THE HOLE' from the yobs who could barely be sick in their own throats let alone have a decent round of golf...rant over...GO RORY!

Tronic

watched the entire fowler/mcilroy/day round...

nothing more thrilling than watching your friends play at augusta, in a featured group - awesome. BTW Jason Day is the best player you've never heard of. Phenom from Australia - lives in TX and practices like its his job ... well, it is.

that being said, rory played balls to the wall the entire day, his nerves got the best of him on the greens the last 3 holes. all 3 dead fucking pulls. im sorry, you dont miss putts at augusta national from <8 feet by 8"-16"... that's a fucking bad stroke. Period. That being said, the kid was sticking iron shots on every hole... and made most putts...except for 16-18, which were all great iron shots in (<10 feet).

Fowler played a good round, like i figured. a little first hole jitters.. first masters... but got his groove and realized this is HIS type of golf. Again, throwing jason Day into the mix here.. look @ their cards... they both made 4 birdies in a row on the back 9. McIlroy made 2, period, yet was inside ALL of their shots on EVERY hole. i watched each one. This is not to say mcilroy is a bad putter (btw i know im spelling his name wrong but i dont give a fuck) he putted great UNTIL hole 16 when he realized holy shit i'm -7 and the two guys in my group who were 'hacking it up' just made 4 birdies, not to mention they just made their birdie putts in front of me on 16, now im going to think here for a second and YANK one. Jeezus. Chill bro. Same story on 17 and 18. 18 was another classic example... Day and Fowler had the same putt. Day went first, misread it by 6 inches to the right... it didnt break. Rickie walks up and bangs it in, no problem, like he should. It's a free throw... make the adjustment. McIlroy, after sticking one from the fairway to 7 feet absolutely shits his pants and shanks the putt 8" left of the hole. jeeeeezus.

He'll be fine tomorrow, but today the nerves got the best of him the last few holes - which is suprising because he's a relatively 'seasoned' championship player. I believe this is his 8 or 9th major and he's shot under 65 in every one of them....

Tiger is right where he needs to be. Tomorrow he gets to start early and take advantage of soft greens. He was missing putts on the high side today which is always a great indicator of things to come.

Phil mickelson was a fucking joke today. i've never seen someone hit so many unreal shots out of their ass / standard shots to 12 feet and miss every single fucking putt. christ. again - said this before... if he putts well, he plays well. if not - he's done. he should have shot 64 today, and shot 70. Fucking weak.

That's all i got to watch today, i'll be up tomorrow early to watch some more, damn i love this shit.

and you know the best part? all my comments mean jack shit until the back 9 on Sunday baby!!

Recreation Smkr

Totally agree with you Tronic, great 1st day recap. I don't think the boys will be so eager to go flag hunting in these next few rounds though, Butch Harmon said on the broadcast yesterday that he thinks the greens will have the moisture sucked out of them today making them play hard and fast. Add trickier pin positions and we'll see. I think someone may put up a 67 or a 68 but I don't see anymore 65's at this year's Masters. Will be cool to see how Alvaro can hold up, he hit's it a country mile but his putting has been known to go streaky on the weekend so it's definitely going to be fun watching and see how it turns out. :dance013:

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I I do not see Alvaro holding up. Nor Rory . Phil needs to keep it close, can't hit a fairway. I'd love to see KJ hang tough, and have a good weekend. Don't see Kuchar, Yang or Kim hanging near the top for long either.

trouble

Veteran
Freddie "Boom Boom" Couples is making his presence felt in the 2nd round.

Will the vet's bad back hold-up thru Sunday?

I hope so, it would be a joy to see him in the final pairing on Sunday, with a good chance to win.

trouble

Veteran
So whats the story with Gary Mccord? I heard he is banned from this event?

The Augusta National Board Members AKA "The Green-Jackets", didn't like a comment McCord of the CBS golf-team made a few years ago during live coverage of the Masters.

The comment McCord made live, was something to the effect
"Today, the greens here at Augusta National are slicker than bikini wax".

Needless to say, the Green-Jackets take the meaning of political -correctness a little to serious.

Last edited:

trouble

Veteran
Tiger is right where he needs to be. Tomorrow he gets to start early and take advantage of soft greens. He was missing putts on the high side today which is always a great indicator of things to come.

Tronic, you were spot-on with your observations & predictions of yesterday's first round, and thoughts on what would we should expect today in the 2nd round.

My youngest brother who attended todays round just called me on his drive back home to Atlanta from Augusta, and said that he followed Couples thru 9. He said Freddie made several comments to his caddy about his back bothering him. I hope his able to continue to play well thru tomorrow, and be in the mix on Sunday.

I'm confident he has whatever he needs in his bag to keep the pain under control if need be. Since my back surgery last summer, I had so many controlled substances (pain-pills) in my golf bag, that it looked like a bloody pharmacy! It was so bad last fall when I first got back on the links, that I would reach in my bag for a tee, and pull out a handful of Norco's 10/325's & OC 40 & 80's. I would drop half of them on the tee-box and left a trail of them all over the blasted course!

Anyone playing behind my group, knew Trouble was ahead!

Tronic

Tronic, you were spot-on with your observations & predictions of yesterday's first round, and thoughts on what would we should expect today in the 2nd round.

My youngest brother who attended todays round just called me on his drive back home to Atlanta from Augusta, and said that he followed Couples thru 9. He said Freddie made several comments to his caddy about his back bothering him. I hope his able to continue to play well thru tomorrow, and be in the mix on Sunday.

I'm confident he has whatever he needs in his bag to keep the pain under control if need be. Since my back surgery last summer, I had so many controlled substances (pain-pills) in my golf bag, that it looked like a bloody pharmacy! It was so bad last fall when I first got back on the links, that I would reach in my bag for a tee, and pull out a handful of Norco's 10/325's & OC 40 & 80's. I would drop half of them on the tee-box and left a trail of them all over the blasted course!

Anyone playing behind my group, knew Trouble was ahead!

Thank you for your Tiger quote / general praise, however I would like to *ahem* call attention to my first sentence in my mini-rant. "Jason Day is the best player you've never heard of" - well you have now.

I didnt think Tiger would play SO well today, he actually could have played slightly better given the shots he hit into 15 and 16, but unreal round regardless.

Props to playing through the pain my friend... keep going and swinging free!! Keep those elbows down, level, and free!

-Saturday prediction, Mcilroy and day both play good golf, under par, and tiger stays right there with them. they will now be playing their 3rd consecutive round together, they both have very similar games, and they enjoy each other. unless tiger plays another unreal round (possible and they could watch it) i think they will play fine tomorrow. Someone else might throw out a low number as well and join the pack as well.

Again, all that matters is the back 9 on sunday. :dance013:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys, I'm a betting man, I like long shots, I picked Butler early on to win the NCAA, at that time my measly $5.00 bet paid three hundred if they would win, missed that by a lot of shots in the final game, Boo Hoo! But I got a lot of entertaining evenings in those last few games.
So I heard last night about Tigers great day and thought I'd look this AM at what odds he was getting in the sports book, he is favored to win this morning, no long shot here. DD

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Thank you for your Tiger quote / general praise, however I would like to *ahem* call attention to my first sentence in my mini-rant. "Jason Day is the best player you've never heard of" - well you have now.

I didnt think Tiger would play SO well today, he actually could have played slightly better given the shots he hit into 15 and 16, but unreal round regardless.

Props to playing through the pain my friend... keep going and swinging free!! Keep those elbows down, level, and free!

-Saturday prediction, Mcilroy and day both play good golf, under par, and tiger stays right there with them. they will now be playing their 3rd consecutive round together, they both have very similar games, and they enjoy each other. unless tiger plays another unreal round (possible and they could watch it) i think they will play fine tomorrow. Someone else might throw out a low number as well and join the pack as well.

Again, all that matters is the back 9 on sunday. :dance013:

Great call on J. Day!!! :tiphat: What a Friday for him! Big question, can he handle the weekend pressures? Can Rory. So young!!!
A charging Tiger, has thrown many off their game.
I'm super happy for KJ. If Tiger or KJ win this, I'll be a happy golf fan!!! And, they're paired together today!
Look out for Westwood!
Also, after hearing his story, it's hard not to be pulling for Ishikawa. He's only 19 years old!!!
Golf's future seems bright!!!

Last edited:

trouble

Veteran
Look out for Westwood!

Also, after hearing his story, it's hard not to be pulling for Ishikawa. He's only 19 years old!!!
Golf's future seems bright!!!

Westwood was/is one of my favorites to win the Masters this year. He's going to have to balls-to-the-wall golf over the weekend to take home his green jacket.

Ishikawa has an abundance of talent for a 19 year-old, and with the dreadful catastrophe which recently took place in his homeland it's hard for one not hold some sentimental favoritism for the kid. I can only image how difficult it must be for him to stay focused on his golf game knowing the hardship & suffering going on back home with his family, friends, and nation as a whole.

And I must agree with you. There is a profusion on young talent on the PGA Tour today, and the TV ratings are not all about Tiger anymore, and holds a great future indeed! There are many exciting young players I tune in to watch each week.

Last edited:

trouble

Veteran

I'm confident that the majority of Queensland, Australia is waking-up in the wee hours of the morning to watch they're boy Jason Day!

I happen to be in Sydney on business back in 1990 during the Doral-Ryder Open, the year Norman beat Azinger, Calcavecchia, and I believe Simpson with an eagle on the first play-off hole.

Anyway, a local friend & colleague from Sydney picked me up at my hotel at like 1:30am Sydney time to watch the final round at his local golf club in Sydney. I was still half asleep & didn't expect very many locals to be up that early to watch anything, however, when we walked into the clubhouse, there must have been 100+ members there, already drinking beer, and ready to cheer their golden-haired boy Norman to victory.

As your already aware, they love they're golf down-under!

:gday:

maxmurder

Veteran
Augusta + HD tele = beautiful.

amen brother! tivo or dvr is ultrasweet too. i always start lookin on the guide wed to record thurs and fri on golf channel. can't get nbc for weekends tho. but fast forwarding most the commercials is really nice, especially those nazi fucking ping holes! i gotta set of g5 irons and a bag forsale hahahah

maxmurder

Veteran
Freddie "Boom Boom" Couples is making his presence felt in the 2nd round.

Will the vet's bad back hold-up thru Sunday?

I hope so, it would be a joy to see him in the final pairing on Sunday, with a good chance to win.

i would love to swing like that guy- smooooooth