What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

e_24

dudin, i was about to scrap my 150w setup due to a shitty power factor, then i click on the club, and i see that! where did you get that ballast? im dying for a superior ballast, and yours looks dope man! and its dimmable!!!! i want so bad.

darkvade420

i have this plant going out side and it smells strong like citrus and its in veg.. i havent smelled many odors like that untill its tossing flowers out normaly..it was just a seed from some reggy schwagg. so far it seems to be some serious schwag lol.i think ill give it a shot indoors this fall if everything goes well along with this strain called ace of spades and another go with my purple kush(green Pheno)+ i have a question about using co2 some one may know about. my wife just bought a carbinated soda maker anyone know if i carbonate my water with that if its more beificial for the plant?

rootidec

Veteran
@darkvade: thank you sir :)

@dudin: I too have an electronic ballast 150w - from sonlight, paid 80€ - but it's not dimmable, couldn't find a dimmable one below 250w... :'( yours looks pretty cool m8

4954_2_4954-1990.jpg

dudin

Take a look at alibaba express. They have cheap dimmable 150w ballast. Have not tested mine yet so I dont know if it works. But it looks and feels good. It took a week to get it from china.

rootidec

Veteran
Take a look at alibaba express. They have cheap dimmable 150w ballast. Have not tested mine yet so I dont know if it works. But it looks and feels good. It took a week to get it from china.

thanks for the heads up :) I'll have a look, I may need another 150w if I double my efforts! ;)

e_24

Thanks dudin. I have been contemplating getting a 250w lumatek, because the other 150 digi was from hid hut, and its not dimmable or metal halide compatible! I like the ability to veg with a small halide, and blast the 150 in flower.

Let us know how it works out for you man!

Rootidec, how is your ballast doing?

dudin

I'm just buying things to a future setup so I cant give an answer for a while. Thinking a 40x40x120tent and 150w is just perfect. 12/12 from seed, hempybuckets. Now I'm looking for a hood that fits the tent.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
that weed is looking bomb dude. is that strain a haze ? and what kinda taste did it have on the last run looks kinda sweet from here.
:artist:

Thanks man. 'The White' is an OG Kush expression, crossed with feminized Casey Jones pollen. Has a sugary smell - until harvest. Then it goes nasty. Pistil Pete's wife says it smells like sharp vomit.:redface:

Tastes range from earthy to sandalwood for one expression. The other is more dank and harder to describe.

e_24

Wow, been lookin back on the pages I have missed since I shut down, and wow those are soe amazing grows there guys! Keep it up!

rootidec

Veteran
Thanks dudin. I have been contemplating getting a 250w lumatek, because the other 150 digi was from hid hut, and its not dimmable or metal halide compatible! I like the ability to veg with a small halide, and blast the 150 in flower.

Let us know how it works out for you man!

Rootidec, how is your ballast doing?

hi e_24,
my ballast is doing just fine. I heard good things about electronic ballasts in general (compared to standard magnetic).
sure, it being dimmable is an extra arrow ;)

e_24

I've heard good things as well, but just looking to see how many of you are running magnetic versus electronic? And how long have you been running digital, if you use one? I know that magnetic ballasts are reliable as hell, but that don't mean it has to use as much power or more then a 250w ballast. I could see a magnetic ballast using more power if its one of those security lights like the 10 I have, but some "grow lights" are using far too much power as well! Maybe I got a part goin bad? Transformer maybe, or cap?

Those who are using a magnetic ballast what have you done to increase power factor?

dddaver

Veteran
Ive been tinkering and growing since '06. I'm actually on my second magnetic ballast which is no biggy because I bought these two 150W security lights on a stock dumping sale for ~$15 a piece. I just couldn't resist. I'm doing LED at the moment in this damn heat, but yields just suck from them things. I've got some Neville's haze X SSH seeds that I'm just itching to grow out but that would take forever and a day to finish those with LEDs and I'm sure yield would be next to nothing. I read someone say growing gets addictive and you spend a little more each grow and end up putting more coin into it than intended. Yeah man. I started with just CFLs. Now I do CFL sometimes, HPS sometimes, LED sometimes, and got a Vortex fan, drilled holes in walls, and generally just went nuts. That's cool though. It's a good kind of nuts. And still's cheaper than buying the weed anyway. And you get way better weed too. GREAT hobby. Fun and fruitful.

Anyway, what I wanted to say, that mags burn out and you are limited to only HPS too. I've been intrigued by MH for a long time too, never could try it though with just a magnetic. (I think they do have switchable bulbs though, is that what those are?) You sure got my attention with that $70 dimmable/switchable electronic 150. Thanks dude. Please let us know how she performs, good or bad. I think I'll wait to jump on this one, not feeling so froggy at the moment.
biggrin.gif

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Last edited:

e_24

Lumatek digis can fire a cmh? I've heard that digis just don't work with cmh, unless you get the GE electronic ballasts, which is too expensive. Ill have to look into this more, and ask the folks at the shop to see what they think. They are extremly knowledgeable in my area, and I trust their opinions.

If that's the case with the lumateks, then I'm going to get one as soon as I can sell some shit on the cl, cause I would love a cmh. Cooler, better spectrum and the cool factor.

e_24

Figured. Thought it was too good to be true man. My eyes popped outta my head when I saw you wrote that. I was thinkin that maybe lumatek had come out with something kick ass off the wall cool! Oh well.

On a side note, I just got a good chunk of change, and am now shoppin for a new cab. Going to go with an armoire, but not as big as pipedreams, but about 60 inches in height. I'm still gonna go the 150 route, cause its all I need to provide me with more then enough personal smoke to last in between runs.

I also got some beans from a really good friend of mine, and I don't wanna dissapoint him with the genetics he has given me. I got space queen, jacks cleaner, and agent orange. Hopefully they will all be female so I can keep mothers of all of them in my now former cab.

Any thoughts on grow style recomendations for any of these strains? Sog, scrog, lst, top, etc.? I'm really excited to get this goin, and any help is greatly appreciated. I know as a novice grower, these strains looked to be a little out of my league, which is why I'm also nervous to even germinate them.

I really don't have a handle on growing yet, and I'm always scatter-brained about what medium to use. I think DWC. Wait! Hempy. Wait! Bio box. Wait! And the list goes on and on. I have air pumps, good soil, nutes, and containers, but can never decide on a method to go with. I have been in dirt since day one, so I think ill stay there. Its comfortable, and offers some cushion when it comes to issues like deficiencies, ph, and the likes.

I'm also having trouble with ventilation, which I believe I can fix with a whisperline fan. The goal is COMPLETE stealth. This cab will be in the closet, but thata not to say that I don't want it completely silent for my wife. She knows. All about my hobby, and can't stress enough about stealthieness. She likes that I'm not buying from the asshole up the road, but also worried about electricity(as stated earlier, my 150w hps uses far too much power), and me getting too carried away with bumping up the wattage.

e_24

yes sir, i sure did. i bought a bunch of crappy used secuity lights, and know wishing i hadnt.

Latest posts

Latest posts