What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Cabinet by Quazi

Quazi

Update Time! Say Hello to the Girls!

Update Time! Say Hello to the Girls!

Alright everyone!

It's been almost a week so I figure it's time for updates.

The last time I updated, Dorothy had just joined the family. Well she's looking beautiful already. She germinated and sprouted and seems to be growing wonderfully:

Another addition to the family showed her head yesterday. Her name is Wilma:

And today I got a neat surprise when I found that another bean had popped out! This one is either Purple Kush like the rest or bagseed from some unknown dankness. I combined a couple buds together in the grinder and one bean came out. I examined the Kush pretty thoroughly for beans before putting it in the grinder so I'm pretty sure it's a different variety. Only time will tell though I guess. Anyway, here's Gemma:

Now then, this is the one clone that I have. It is not in the greatest shape but there is new growth sprouting up and the remaining leaves are still strong. I took a bunch of clones and a whole bunch were looking stupendous. I accidentally let the water level get too deep and the roots soaked in water. I lost virtually all but one clone. So the one clone that I managed to salvage from my stupidity, got its root ripped in transport (do'h). It is living on though and the new growth is evident. I think if it has survived this much that it deserves a chance. Plus, I know it will be female so it's worth it. I've called her Sprout:

Well, there you have it. That's what's been going on in the veg side of the cabinet. Haven't had a chance to work on the 150W side but I have a feeling it'll be done this coming weekend.

There's still one pot left that I have not seen any green in yet. Since this is my first grow, everything is an experiment. This one was germinated only to the point of the root barely peaking out from the bean. The other three had at least an inch to a half inch of beautiful white root before they were planted. All of those sprouted up within 48 hours. I'm still hopeful for the last one, but we'll see.

-Q :rasta:

Last edited:
C

Cozy Amnesia

Looking great Quazi, those plants are loving you. As for the clone, I've seen worse bounce back into healthy plants.

Quazi

I've got a constant supply of air flowing in through the intakes in the four corners of the room that gets sucked up over the light sockets.

I don't have any fans directly on them, no.

Stretch in seedlings and germination stages is usually due to the light source being too far away. They will stretch quite a bit to get ample light. Could this be the issue instead of just the "wind stress?"

Glad you like the pics man!

Cozy: thanks for stopping by man! Always a pleasure! Thanks for the note about the clones. I'm thinking she's gonna make it just fine too. :smoke:

Last edited:
i think the only thing i would rather have seen you do is hand paint it and maybe sand down the outside and just make it alittle more stealthy you made a great cab but the outside is kind of slack sorry negativity but dont be discouraged you made a damn good cab and your in for some damn good buds

Last edited:

Quazi

I totally understand.

However, I'm a medical patient living with my fiancee. Stealth was much less of a factor for me.

Obviously more time could have been spent making it look a bit "nicer," but I was also trying to cut corners for cost as much as possible. In addition, I was not building this cabinet where it lives now so I had a time constraint. The job was a bit of a Frankenstein since I was completely converting an old cabinet so the pieces aren't exactly matching anyway.

Maybe after a grow or two I'll take the cabinet outside and paint her up real nice.

Thanks for stopping by though! I can't wait to see what develops.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Looking good. I name my girls, too. Clockwise from left: Meg, Beth, Jo and Amy.

Puffs R Us

the ventilation is weak You must go forced air i dun care what any1 says. Carbon filters are old news and history. Research a little bit on trane clean effects W/ variable speed motors. Will have pics of my latest setup shortly.

Quazi

Puffs R Us said:
the ventilation is weak You must go forced air i dun care what any1 says.
Who are you? Have fun not caring what "any1" says. That will get you real far with this hobby.
Puffs R Us said:
Carbon filters are old news and history. Research a little bit on trane clean effects W/ variable speed motors. Will have pics of my latest setup shortly.
Umm... okay. I did some research. I found a ton of websites trying to sell you the junk. Then I found the opinion of someone who used it and the comment of an HVAC person:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070609005750AAuaCRa

Carbon filters have worked wonderfully for years and they're used by many professional growers.

Thanks for stopping by and being a complete asshat with absolutely nothing to back up your claims though!

Jerk.

Have a good one.

Quazi

CO2? Delicious!

CO2? Delicious!

After some sound advice from the IC Mag chat room, I decided to rock a bit of DIY CO2 to add to the mix of things. It will keep me busy when I'm not watering and costs next to nothing.

Quazi said:
EDIT - after some additional sound advice I decided to scrap the project as I could not afford to get the PPM to a reasonable level to cause any sort of difference.

I'm thinking of doing a DIY thread about it since I can't seem to find a simple one like this with pictures.

Total cost? $8.00. Cost to keep it running? Pennies per day.

But you know the plants are loving it.

Also, I am babysitting for ambr0sia as his girls get their hotel construction finished. They will be included in the next photo update.

Anyway, here's the CO2 that the girls are loving:

If anyone wants, I'd be happy to post a complete pictorial for the DIY to get some CO2 introduced to your grow. Otherwise, I might just do it in my free time. The pics are already in my gallery if you'd like to take a look.

Last edited:
C

Cozy Amnesia

I'm interesting in a DIY for it, although I can't imagine it'd be too large a piece of technical literature. What is it...yeast, sure, and water? Lol make sure to try a sip after it stops bubling, they call that stuff sugar wine.

Quazi

It's really simple.

But, it's nice to have pics and know what to expect/how much to use effectively. This is especially true for the measurements.

Now that it's been running for a bit, I have a better understanding of how long you can expect to run it before needing to change/swap out ingredients too.

Yes Cozy: yeast, sugar, water.

Cheap, effective, plants love it.

I'll start working on the DIY then.

Gatson

What's up, Quazi? This is my first time to stop by your cab. If your skills inside the cab are up to par with your skills constructing the cab, I expect great things. Good luck, amigo. I'll be stopping by!

Quazi

Hey Gatson:
Thanks for stopping by man. I'm aiming for 1.5 oz from my first grow in this cabinet so hopefully things will go well.

Freezerboy:
No joke. That was the last treat I'm ever going to throw to trolls. What a waste of time and effort.

Girls are sleeping at the moment. Can't wait to see if there has been a noticeable difference in adding the CO2 to the mix for a day.

Quazi

What's up blackfoot? Thanks for stopping by!

I got the blower at Lowes. I've heard the Stanley (basically same thing) can be purchased at Home Depot or Walmart. It is getting out of season though, so I'd check soon.

If I need some more info for the carbon filter, I might take you up on that offer for the pics.

As for genetics, I've got Purple Kush medical genetics and what is either bag seed or more purple kush. I'm not certain because it was found after grinding a combination of the two. I'm thinking it's the bag seed though 'cause it's stretching more than my other girls and I inspected the kush bud before grinding pretty thoroughly.

Good luck on finding the blower, or a similar one. I'm definitely glad that I did.

Also, I'm working on the DIY CO2 thread so expect it soon.

R

ropolopy

Regarding CO2, I'm a little on the fence with this kind of a setup. How much CO2 is that little reactor jug producing, and how much of it do you think hits the plants on its way through the (one) intake and out through the cooltube?

I was kind of thinking the way I'd do it is to put the jug inside the cab... while the lights are off, the fans are off, and for those 12 hours the plants are getting a nice dose.

I just don't know enough about the science of photosynthesis to know if they only require CO2 while the lights are on, or if they can use it in the absence of light as well.

Quazi

Here's the first harvest from the Purple Kush. Not from my cabinet though. This harvest was not in anywhere near the environment I've created in my cab. It was under fluoros in a basement with, yes, aluminum foil for the reflector. Learning experience for sure. But check it out:

It's delicious. An instant body high followed by a clearheaded stone full of creativity and giggling. Smoke enough of it and you'll be locked to the couch laughing with your friends for a while or find yourself going out for a night on the town or a walk in the park...

...and that was not sinsemilla due to an accident.

I can't wait to see what this stuff does when it's trained, meticulously cared for and given a 150W HPS to play under.

Patience sucks sometimes but I know it'll be worth it.

Last edited:

Quazi

I know man!

I don't care what any1 says! You and I know that trane clean effects W/positive pressure environments are the way to go.

Sheesh.