What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Cabinet by Quazi

tequila_sunrise

how are you going to attach the screw to the wooden post? I tried doing something similar on my reflector... did not work as well as I had hoped.

I suggest going straight metal for your reflector and just drill 4 holes (2 on each end) and put S hooks through them. You can then string them up to your box easier.

Also, having wood that close to a HPS might be a fire hazzard... just something to keep in mind, otherwise nice grow!

Quazi

Well, I was thinking of using wood but you're probably right. I can use metal instead. It'll be interesting to see how much heat I've got coming through the cool tube and reflector. Then I can determine whether metal or wood would be the most appropriate.

Figuring out how to attach it is definitely going to be a challenging part. That's why I don't have a drawing for it yet.

I'll take your suggestion into consideration if things don't work out though.

Thanks!
:rasta:

Last edited:

Quazi

tequila_sunrise said:
how are you going to attach the screw to the wooden post? I tried doing something similar on my reflector... did not work as well as I had hoped.

I suggest going straight metal for your reflector and just drill 4 holes (2 on each end) and put S hooks through them. You can then string them up to your box easier.

Also, having wood that close to a HPS might be a fire hazzard... just something to keep in mind, otherwise nice grow!
I figured out a design that I think will work.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get it setup.

Hovz

Hey Quazi, looks like you have a good cabinet design going and nice reflector design too. I wouldn't use wood that close to the bulb though, imagine if your fan died while you were gone. I've done a couple grows with 150w hps's and from my experience its all about trimming and pruning all the small whispy branches that will never ammount to anything and since the 150s dont penetrate very deep into the canopy its best to trim everything that is underneath the canopy and recieving no light. I got some multiple top fat nugs from 150s using lst and pruning methods. I was using a soiless mix half perlite and half peatmoss with the 3 part GH formula. The only way i was able to achieve this though is because i had a large area and extended veg time about a month and a week to be exact. The 3 gallon containers they were in were completely rootbound when finished.

Quazi

Thanks for the feedback man!

I agree that using wood that close to the reflector will not work. I've been working on a design that will use metal instead of wood.

Thanks for looking out for me and keeping me in line :spank:

I'm not ready to go hydro yet. But, it may be a step once I learn a bit more about the plant and how to LST and such.

I'll be doing some more construction tomorrow where I will be taking pictures for sure.

Woot woot!

ambr0sia

Hovz said:
I wouldn't use wood that close to the bulb though, imagine if your fan died while you were gone.

Checkout this thread for info on thermostatic cut-off switches, which kill all power to your cab if temperatures exceed a preset limit.

That's some pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Looks great that final blueprint is more of what I was thinking... Nice cab for $15 I'm jealous... But I can't complain I got my dresser I use now for free and then new cab I'm building out of this computer desk from the alley gotta love city living...

Quazi

Let's Add Some Green to This Thread

Let's Add Some Green to This Thread

Well folks, as the cabinet is nearing completion I thought I'd share my clones that will be (hopefully) making their new beginnings inside.

The method is from the wonderful Super Cheap Mass Cloner which can be found here:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=1873281

Well, here they are. We'll see what happens:

Here's a peak inside:

Construction will commence on the cabinet very shortly.

astartes

Quazi ---

It just might be the picture or me being way too baked, but where are the growth tips on your clones? From the picture it looks like you chopped 'em all off... Lookin' good though man!

astartes

Quazi

Astute observation.

As this was my first time cloning, I wanted to get as many as possible and take different lengths and types. Some were cut from middles of branches, some from ends, some from the base. Some thick, some thin, some tall...

I'll stop before I sound any more like Dr. Seuss, but you get the picture.

The clones are still looking healthy and happy after some time in the cloner so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for stopping by though!

Quazi

Ask and ye shall receive!

My 150w HPS lamp is going to be arriving from E-conolights on the 9th which I'm stoked about. In the meantime, I got a few other supplies and continued construction on the cabinet. I'm most excited, however, because I finally found a blower for the cabinet !!

:jump:

That was one of the things that I was worried I was not going to be able to find for a good price because of the change of season. Well, it was on clearance because it was out of season so I decided to pick it up and give it a try. It's powerful, 3 speed, 2 plugs, and quiet as hell. Pics further down.

Back to the cabinet.

As I said before, there were some extensions cut to raise the height of the cabinet. Now you will be able to see what I'm talking about with them all done. Keep in mind, none of the bigger pieces have been attached to the cabinet yet. I'm going to put a coat of paint on them first before I attach them. Anyway, here are the extensions:

In addition, I have my cool tube now so I could get some measurements from it. It was a Hurricane glass tube from the craft store. It cost me approximately 4-5 dollars:

I was able to determine that 4" ducting is going to be my friend for this job. So now. it was time to cut a hole in the middle piece of the cabinet near the top for the cool tube ventilation:

With the height extensions, it doesn't look too Frankensteinish. In fact, I kind of like it. Once it gets painted, it'll look more uniform. Again, the pieces have not been fastened yet as they await painting, but here ya go:

Now for the other supplies I picked up today. I am going to be making my own reflector for my lights. So, I went to pick up some titanium white paint as it is the most reflective white from what I have heard. Huzzah! Only 4 bucks for a tube that should suffice:

And now, my favorite part of shopping today, the blower that I picked up on clearance for only $30.00! Woot:

It was a bit big when I got it, so a bit of DIY later and I was able to convert it to a 10in tall, foot deep blower with an open end ready to attach ventilation to:

I took pictures of the entire conversion process and am starting a separate thread for it. I'll post a link in here when I get the thread finished.

-UPDATE- Here's the link to the thread I created about how to modify this blower:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=98507

Anyway, so that's where we are at right now.

Oh, and the clones are still looking wonderful, green and happy :canabis:

Thanks for stopping by!

-Q :rasta:

Last edited:

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
VERY NICE MAN, VERY NICE!!!! always love the DIY stuff, makes my heart and my tools sing!!! lol

im putting together a 4x4 myself, screwed up on teh back panel, and even the front, but some pipe clamps and two new sheets of OSB should take care of that!!! keep up the impeccable work

jimbob420

found a stanley one at walmart on clearence for $25, must be that time of year for blowers to be on sale. Good luck with the cab, building it is half the battle/fun.

Quazi

Very nice man. I checked at Walmart and Home Depot for those Stanley blowers with no luck. That's why I was happy when I found the Lasko one.

Nice job though man. Shopping around for DIY stuff is another part of the fun too!

Thanks for stopping by!

Quazi

blynx said:
Lose the adjustable cfls in the veg chamber. Mount the lights on the top.
It's way easier to raise and lower individual plants than it is the light. All it takes is one quick growing plant for you not have an even veg chamber anyways.
I had an adjustable cfl bar with reflector in my veg cab, it just stayed pulled all the way up. When I moved the cab and re-set it up, I removed the reflector and just mounted the lights on top. It also gave me more height for the plants.
I am seriously taking this into consideration. You're correct that it would be nice to be able to individually raise and lower plants in veg.

I don't know, maybe if I do it right, I won't lose much height having it at the top and I can lower it if I want to; just a thought.

Anyone else have any input on having an adjustable bar for CFL lights in the veg chamber?

Thanks again blynx.

Gatson

I'm going to have to agree with him on this one, Quazi. Unless your mothers are the same strain, same pheno...you're going to have different heights on your plants. I mean, it's not a huge deal either way....but it'd definitely be easier to keep an even canopy with spacers for the plants between pot and floor. Just my .02, though. And you wanted to see my ScrOG cab...well there will be a couple pictures and a pretty good description here in the next 30 minutes or so. Just go back and visit my thread again. I'm not going to put it in the construction section until after my current run is over. That way I can revamp it and give alot more detailed pictures and descriptions.

Quazi

Gatson: hey man, loved the pics. Can't wait to see how the plants turn out!

Cozy: thanks for stopping by! I'll try to update with pictures more often to keep you happy, heh.

Well, my 150w HPS arrives tomorrow which is awesome. Going to be painting next and starting to figure out the wiring.

Expect to see some more DIY threads from me in the near future as I plan on making one for each of the following:
-Remote ballasting the e-conolight $20 150w HPS vapor tight.
-Creating a cool tube with reflector that can be adjusted (for height) within your cabinet
-Maybe more!

Stay tuned!