What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Cabinet by Quazi

Bush Grower

Looking good quazi. I like that cool tube I really need to make something like that. Where did you find the glass tube?

Quazi

That's a Hurricane glass tube from my local craft store. I'll have the DIY up for the cool tube + reflector pretty soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

-Q :rasta:

Quazi

So, I added another 2 intakes to each chamber and it made a huge difference.

Both chambers are now within a couple degrees of ambient with the light on.

Also, I moved Gemma into flower today. She still looks kinda similar to the Purple Kush but she definitely smells different. I didn't notice until today. She's definitely got more of a cat-piss smell than the Kush does. Maybe my smell senses were all messed up and they really are the same.

Time will tell now.

Quazi

Week 3 Updates

Week 3 Updates

Well, it's time for updates so here we go.

I'm so happy with how things are going so far. The plants seem to love everything I throw at them.

We'll start off with Sprout who is showing amazing signs of wanting to stay alive despite a rough upbringing as a clone:

I have decided to keep Wilma in veg for now to study how Purple Kush does in a vegetative cycle from seed. In addition, I'd really like to know how long it takes for pre-flowers are there are approximately 25 seeds that I've got available for it. She has developed wonderful deep dark green colors and beautiful lighter-green new growth:

Now, on to the flowering side of the cabinet:

Both of the plants have exhibited a huge amount of growth since entering 12/12 a few days ago.

First let's take a look at Dorothy. I began LST two days ago and she has already grown out of it:

Here you can see the beautiful greens that Dorothy has developed when she's not under the HPS:

Next, we'll take a look at Gemma. The leaves look a bit different and the smell still remains different than the Purple Kush so I am eager to see what comes of her:

She has beautiful greens as well:

Now then, on to some LST training. Instead of using string, I am using shielded copper wiring. The plants seem to exhibit no adverse affects to it. It is very pliable and easy to use. I don't have to tie knots in order to attach the training medium which means I don't have to worry about constricting the growth. In addition, the pieces can be very easily used over and over. Overall, I'm really enjoying the process.

First, I take a snip of a piece about 3-4 inches long:

I'll start off with Gemma because she has not been trained yet. Cannabis is a very strong plant so it will accept plenty of bend to pull the tip downward:

Next, I wrap the copper wiring around the base of the stem and then wrap it around the stem underneath the top node:

It's that simple. Like I said: no knots to tie, no screws to screw, plain and simple.

For Dorothy, she has already been trained at a decent angle to the side so I'm really only interested in training the tip of the plant downward again. I can loosely wrap a loop around the stem just below the top node:

From there, I pull the plant down and then make a wrap around the base of the stem (which is already showing nice wood-like characteristics):

The last step was to rotate the plants so that they were parallel to the light. This forces the plant to turn in order to get leaves facing the light. If I were to turn the plant so that it was at a ninety degree angle towards the light with the tip facing away, it would have to bend over itself to get the leaves to face the light. I'm trying to train my plants, not make it difficult for them to get light.

So, with training and plant rotating I went from this:

...to this...

Well, that's it for now. Hopefully I'll have some confirmed females besides little Sprout soon.

Until next time...

Knives

Damn you and your clever LST ways Quazi!
Ive got strings and tape everywhere lol.
Lookin goood though man, How long you gonna veg for?
Keep em comin man, im sendin some vibes right now heh :joint:

Quazi

Week 4 Updates

Week 4 Updates

Hello everyone! It's Tuesday so that means update time from Quazi. We're at 4 weeks into the process of a struggling clone named Sprout and her three seedling sisters. There's great news towards the end so read on...

It's late because I was doing quite a bit of gardening this evening. Clones, clones, clones. I had some new ones join the family but got no pictures of them... yet. They are for backup in case I end up with room in the cabinet due to sexing. But we're going to keep thinking positive aren't we? Now then, on for the extra large update.

But first :bongsmi:

Well, things are looking well in the cabinet let me tell you. All of the girls are having a wonderful time it seems. Sprout has rallied and will make a wonderful mother or smoke soon:

In this next pic, you can see the tiny leaf at the bottom that the clone started out with. Remember, she started off as a cutting mid-stem with no growth tip and her roots were completely ripped off when she was transplanted:

She's even telling me that she's ready to show me what she's got with her beautiful pistil-horns sticking out:

Great little plant:

Continuing with the veg side of things: Wilma is looking fantastic. Very different than her sisters that went into flower. The growth is nice and bushy thanks to the training and the leaves are a nice, dark, rich green:

She has little pre-flowers on her. They are singular and small so it's not possible to tell yet whether that will split open and show pistils (like it looks like it wants to) or if little nuts will grow along with it:

Only time will tell. If she turns out to be female, she'll make a stellar mom.

Now, on to the flowering side of things. First, we'll start of with Gemma. She's at day 11 in flower. I'm starting to think that she is related to the others after all instead of being the bag seed. Looks like I'm going to just have to have a bunch of Purple Kush. Darn! :wink:

She's looking like Dorothy did a week ago:

You can see that she has grown out quite a bit past her training:

So, she had her apical tip trained down again to spread those auxins around:

Check out Dorothy in part two below...

Last edited:

Quazi

Week 4 Updates Part II

Week 4 Updates Part II

Now on to the star of the show, Dorothy! She's at day 12 in flower.

First, I just can't take it any longer so I have to share the news. I opened the cabinet at lights on today and carefully examined the little teardrop nubs that she had before. OH MY...

SHE'S A GIRL:

:jump:
:woohoo:
:jump:

I did a little dance of joy as now I know that my most vigorous seedling will be producing for me. She'll be revegged and mothered for sure. The fan leaves are just beautiful on this girl and large too. I put my hand in there for scale and I am not a small man:

Anyway, here's a look at the vigor that I'm talking about. Take a look at how much she's grown compared to a week ago:

Just turning into a beautiful bush:

However, she was in need of some serious training. Take a look at how much she'd grown out of the last training that I put on her:

So I hooked her on the end:

...and attached her to the base:

The wires are so great because it's not a mess of strings and knots under there even with three trainings so far:

After a bit of adjustment, I was able to get the tip down to where I wanted it:

Now it was time to move on to another shoot that was starting to grow like mad:

I cut a longer piece and wrangled the tip down to promote some growth along the stem:

Starting to look like a jungle-gym under there or something:

I took her footprint down considerably (if you don't count the fan leaves) and have promoted some growth further down the stem:

Well, that's it for now. Things have really changed in that flowering chamber in just a week. I went from this:

...to this:

Well, that's it for this update. I'll do a mini-update if I confirm Wilma or Gemma. Though, I have to say, the pre-flowers are very similar to the ones that Dorothy was showing before she sprouted pistils so I'm optimistic.

Good luck in your travels!

Last edited:
really nice grow QuaziLife. I think u can help me with mine, just stay tight and look on my site when ever u visit this site, thanks jah bless

J

janedope

Nice thread Quaz, plants look phenomenal.... Can't wait to see that beautiful bud start producing!! Look forward to the next update... :joint:

C

Cozy Amnesia

Now then, on to some LST training. Instead of using string, I am using shielded copper wiring. The plants seem to exhibit no adverse affects to it. It is very pliable and easy to use. I don't have to tie knots in order to attach the training medium which means I don't have to worry about constricting the growth. In addition, the pieces can be very easily used over and over. Overall, I'm really enjoying the process.

That's what I use too.

Quazi

Well everyone sorta some sad, but expected news today -- Gemma is a boy.

I discovered that the pre-flowers that I wanted to split open and produce pistils, instead multiplied:

Oh well, got a round of clones that will be vegging for a bit before they head into flower.

For now, Dorothy can have all the room she wants.

Quazi

"It Smells Like Christmas in Here!" Part I

"It Smells Like Christmas in Here!" Part I

Alright, sorry about not updating last night.

I've just been busy with all kinds of different things. Here comes a large-sized update for everyone including new members of the family, N-burning, training, new fan... there's just so much.

Without further delay...

I purchased an AC (alternating current, not air conditioning...) fan at the Shack and it moves a lot of air in the top of the cabinet. Even the bulbs behind the fan benefit from the cooling. It's just hung by paperclips that were aluminum-taped in the electrical room above. It's very quiet and really cooled down the veg chamber. I did this because as Wilma was getting bigger, she was starting to show signs of heat stress. She's not in the veg chamber anymore, but she definitely looked better after the fan was put in:

I'll start out with the new members of the family. They started off as clones about 2 weeks ago, they were transplanted 7 days after being taken as clones. They had roots flying out of the pucks. 15/15 on this cloning run :wink:

So, here's 3 of them only a week old, or a week from transplant anyway (I don't know why I forgot solo shots of the fourth). Patricia:

Persephone:

Petunia:

They all exhibit the vigor of their mom which is great. They also have the purple petioles at the beginnings with newer growth looking green as the Purple Kush tends to do:

Next, we go to Sprout. Little girl has come a long way in 5 weeks:

For all the naysayers about cloning from flowering plants, requiring growth tips, or even rooting horomone; this is proof that with care and confidence, it can work for you. A clone taken at harvest, from the middle of the stem (no growth tip) that had it's root ripped clean off when it was transported:

to

What would an update from Quazi be without some training? I trained the 4 clones that I have as they are big enough to start. I don't plan on moving them from the pots they're in. They're 5 inch pots that are less than a gallon. They will take up half of the flowering side when they're in there. Gonna see what this plant does in a SoGgish setup. If Wilma turns out to be a Wilman then they'll go in early. Otherwise, they'll get a bit of vegging before heading in. Anyway, let's see some training:

Patricia was an interesting one because she decided to go ahead and grow two shoots from the get-go which is A-okay in my book:

Double the fun, double the training:

The training:

Part II continues below...

Last edited: