What's new

126x3w LED tent grow

oneshot

I also am sorry to hear about the bananas :comfort: does it look like just the GDP turned? could be some good seeds if they went long enough to mature. never herd of those lights not turning off all the way would be interested to see what ya mean, But that does sound like the cause of hermies..
Did ya get enough trim to experiment with? hope so!:woohoo:

All of the plants hermied :(. 5/5. I confirmed tonight when jarring them. The beans look nice and brown though. Pinch test passing as well. I'll collect the seeds in a couple weeks.

Here is a good video example of what is going on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFmGnCAIl8w (not my video but I remember seeing this when I was researching LED's. I didn't think of it again until this shit happened)

Final total weight was: 135g

GDP's = 51g
Sour Diesel = 21g
Boston Berry #1 = 23g
Boston Berry #2 = 38g

oneshot

I'm sick of playing around. Time to get serious:

Your Items Quantity Each Extended
LumiGrow ES-330 LED Grow Light 1 $1199.95 $1199.95

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey oneshot, decent haul - you'll have some nice smoke there, herms or otherwise.

i dont understand about the light not shutting off... surely its the the timer switch that cuts the power to the light???

VG

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
.62 gpw is nothing to be ashamed of... first grow with that array, not bad... :tiphat:

oneshot

hey oneshot, decent haul - you'll have some nice smoke there, herms or otherwise.

i dont understand about the light not shutting off... surely its the the timer switch that cuts the power to the light???

VG

Thanks, they are super frosty/sticky. I am hoping the cure helps the smell though.

I'll see if I can get pics/videos of the light tonight. The new job has me working late so I don't get home till much later.

.62 gpw is nothing to be ashamed of... first grow with that array, not bad... :tiphat:

Thanks. Add it to your gpw thread :) I think if the plants didn't herm, they would have had a better yield. I was cutting the buds off the stem yesterday to put them in jars and my hands were so sticky after. Hopefully the smell improves but Herm's not having strong terpines is pretty typical.

oneshot

EDIT: THIS DID NOT EFFECT THE HERMIES. VERIFIED THE LIGHT IS CORRECTLY WORKING WHEN ON THE TIMER!

This picture was taken in complete darkness. The light is 'off' at the switches with the cord still plugged in. I tested on multiple outlets.

This should give you a clear picture of what is going on.

I cannot recommend this light to anyone anymore. If you bought an eShine, check your fixtures. I am sorry :( :(

I have a video going up with more detailed look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh3OKOGARvU

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah thats not very good about the light... but that means you must have been switching the light on and off manually every day??

i would throw down an extra $10 for a timer switch on top of the $1200 for the lumigrow ;)
doing it manually is much more likely to lead to problems.

VG

oneshot

yeah thats not very good about the light... but that means you must have been switching the light on and off manually every day??

i would throw down an extra $10 for a timer switch on top of the $1200 for the lumigrow ;)
doing it manually is much more likely to lead to problems.

VG

EDIT: Wrong original info about the light.

I think you are confused. I had the light on my timer. You can see the timer in the video. I just was doing the unplugging/switch manually for the video. Everything was on a timer. It still does it if I hit 'off' on the timer. Having the timer on it still doesn't turn it off completely.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think you are confused. I had the light on my timer. You can see the timer in the video. I just was doing the unplugging/switch manually for the video. Everything was on a timer. It still does it if I hit 'off' on the timer. Having the timer on it still doesn't turn it off completely.

You might check and see how long the lights remain on after the power is cut off - with a "soft" on/off, I can see how there might be enough current leakage to cause the lamps to still glow. However, if you have a set of hard contacts between the lamp and the power source, the glow would just about have to come from capacitors in the drivers, and should eventually run out of power after they discharge.

oneshot

You might check and see how long the lights remain on after the power is cut off - with a "soft" on/off, I can see how there might be enough current leakage to cause the lamps to still glow. However, if you have a set of hard contacts between the lamp and the power source, the glow would just about have to come from capacitors in the drivers, and should eventually run out of power after they discharge.

I would think so too. I left it off, plugged in for 30-45 mins thinking it was maybe residual power in the caps but it was still on. I just think its shitty engineering.

Regardless, my Lumigrow shipped already. Someone suggested I go to a 1k HPS though.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

yes i must be confused, i thought a timer switch simply cut the power to the device that is connected to it, and that would make it impossible for it to still glow, apart from the caps discharging which shouldnt take long.
in which case the herms must have been genetic or for some other reason?

anyway good luck with your lumigrow

VG

oneshot

EDIT: LIGHT CORRECTLY WORKING. I am leaving the original posts here though.

I will double check everything, but I am pretty sure my timer still made the light the glow when off.

Last edited:

sx646522

Hi oneshot,

Congrats on your harvest, and sorry to hear about your issue with your timers. :( This seems to be a common problem with some of them - i.e. current leak even after the timer is in the 'off' state.

This happens with whatever device you're attaching it to (radios/HIFI equipment, lamps, toaster ovens, etc.), including HIDs, the only difference being that (with HIDs) the small amount of current getting past the timer to the fixture isn't nearly enough to cause ignition. With LEDs, however, they can efficiently use the little current that does leak from the timer (because essentially, you're just leaving the device in the 'on' state, and controlling the current with the timer), so they will often illuminate. You might say that this is one of LED's strengths - the ability to light at a wide range of current levels; indeed, they're more efficient the lower you run them.

Rives is correct about the capacitor phenomenon; this will depend on how the circuit is designed also, including whether small amounts of continual current will produce light. Once discharged, the LEDs will go out completely by themselves, generally within a few minutes.

You will likely have this issue using the same timer on many LED fixtures to some degree; my advice would be to research an alternative timer solution and find one that doesn't have the issue of current leak - or else, set up a true hard contactor/relay solution.

If you have a kill-a-watt or multimeter handy, you can test how much draw you'd get for any fixture you have (including your old HIDs) when using specific timers.

Again, with respect to current leak, it's the timer, not necessarily the light - but it is still annoying. Just find one that works for your LEDs, and you will still have a perfectly good light that you got at a reasonable price. :)

Best of luck mate,

-SX

oneshot

EDIT: I'm an idiot. The light is correctly working on the timer. These guys were right. I am leaving the original post though.

Guys, PLEASE watch my video before discussing the timer more. The Blackstar 240 in the video is on the TIMER I used in the grow. The timer DOES NOT cause this issue on my Blackstar. It immediately goes off. If the timer was the problem, the Blackstar would have the same problem.

Last edited:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guys, PLEASE watch my video before discussing the timer more. The Blackstar 240 in the video is on the TIMER I used in the grow. The timer DOES NOT cause this issue on my Blackstar. It immediately goes off. If the timer was the problem, the Blackstar would have the same problem.

Oneshot, the problem wouldn't necessarily transfer from one fixture to another, particularly if they are from different manufacturers. It would depend on the circuit design and how widely the components vary from spec. If you are using an electronic timer that utilizes a triac for the switch, that is most likely your issue. Triacs are notorious for leaking current in the off state. A timer that utilizes a mechanical switch should take care of your problem - if not, eShine has some marketing possibilities that reach far beyond our market!

oneshot

EDIT: Ok, I just triple checked. You guys were right! The electronic timer DOES completely shut off the eShine when I hit 'OFF' on the timer. So the timer does work right and I guess the light DIDN'T cause the hermies?

So now I am back to square one I guess!?

I'm going to film another video. You guys are really confusing me still talking about the timer.

analogue

is there anything that could go haywire in the ballast/driver components, or could there be a separate internal PWM dimmer with faulty programming.

Aren't there phosphors coating the white diodes? Would there be any residual discharge that way (like those glow in the dark stars you can stick on your bedroom ceiling).

Latest posts

Latest posts