What's new

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

phrank

? for atmosphere...

? for atmosphere...

A friend of mine is considering trying the 12/12 method. His grow area is approximately 140cm x 140cm x 200cm, and lit by a single 1000 watt hps. How many seedlings should my friend start? BTW, strains to be used are indica sativa hybrids which lean towards the sativa end of the spectrum.

phrank

Soulfly1

@Atmosphere- Hey man, You have influenced me to grow like this for the past 3 years since the days of overgrow and I think this is the way to grow! I just have 2 questions for you-

Could you explain your watering method please

and what ventilation do you use in your space?

Thank you

Peace

Soulfly1

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Rich said:
I think putting in more plants would have made a bigger diference in yield.
In your picture i see there's loads off empty space between the plants.

Yes I have lots of space in there. This was a my first real 12/12 grow from seed so it was a bit of an experiment. I started 20 plants, and ended up with 12 females.
One was a runt that died and the other just wasnt very vigorous so I yanked it. So I ended up with 10 females.
Most of them are a local strain called NSR that definitely still has the Ma. Super Skunk lurking in its makeup along with three DP Fem.Strawberry Cough plants.
Im wasnt talking overall yield of the grow. I meant per plant. Sorry. Seems we are thinking differently.
Had I maxed out the space available I would have been very happy with the gram/watt ratio.
As it is all plants will yield at least a lid each and a couple will produce more.
Im not complaining..... :rasta:
Peace.

Last edited:
@jrw - is 12/12 from seed different or something? I always thought flowering doesn't start until you see "flowers" or atleast a pre flower lol...am i wrong or what? just curious why some like HAL and myself count from the first sign of flowers while you/atmo count as soon as they pop. hella grower jrw ...much respect

Last edited:

jrw

To me a plant "is flowering" from the first day it shows its sex, true.

But.

At the same time, I think that "I flower my plants from seed" because I place them under a light regime from the day they brake soil that will force them to show sex eventually, under that regime (12/12).

Haven't really thought much about it though. What's your thoughts?

hmmm interesting...i've always ran under the assumption "8 week finishing time" means from the time the plant starts it's flowering phase, usually signaled by the showing of pre flowers....when i run 12/12 from seed i consider the time before pre flower to be a "transistion" phase

maybe i'm way off base with that line of thinking and running them too long??? but i've never been able to get mine to finish as fast as yours....maybe atmo will chime in with his experience on the matter

SpitRhyma said:
But how would you prevent stretching without burning your plants up? I find that my plants are getting way too much light as seedlings with HPS unless I put the HPS about 4" away from the "canopy level" (if you can even call it that at this point) -- anyways I've only done this once and 40 out of 42 seeds grew and all 40 stretched retardedly... I'm talking 6-8" tall plants with only starter leaves and their 1st node.

Now thats very strange !! a 600 watt hps bulp at 22 inches from the nearest plant should do it . you say you had a hps( wich one?) at just 4 inches ?
Too much light is almost impossible , it is the heat that becomes the problem .
Just make sure you have enough moving fresh air around the leaves .

For the first weeks it is possible to use HPS but also fluro's
When you do use fluro's . use a lot of them closely mounted i norder to get a high light intensity.

A male plant (just showed sex )

registeredtoker said:
hmmm interesting...i've always ran under the assumption "8 week finishing time" means from the time the plant starts it's flowering phase, usually signaled by the showing of pre flowers....when i run 12/12 from seed i consider the time before pre flower to be a "transistion" phase

maybe i'm way off base with that line of thinking and running them too long??? but i've never been able to get mine to finish as fast as yours....maybe atmo will chime in with his experience on the matter

I also start counting the weeks of flowering from the first signs of flowering .
I believe it is not correct to pick the day you switch to 12/12 as day one of flowering . And certainly not when you start on 12/12 right away.

Soulfly1 said:
@Atmosphere- Hey man, You have influenced me to grow like this for the past 3 years since the days of overgrow and I think this is the way to grow! I just have 2 questions for you-

Could you explain your watering method please

and what ventilation do you use in your space?

Thank you

Peace

Soulfly1

I have a few PVC pipes sticking out of the soil to throw water in . About 15 cm under the soil surface the pipes make a bend and go horizontal . the horizontal part has small holes in it to spred the water .

for ventilation I have a rather unusual way, with the air coming in from above and also going out there again (after passing the plants). This needs some more explaination , I will try and find my drawing . I wrote an article about it in Essensie Magazine about a year ago

H

Hal

I'll chime in here on the question of when the flowering phase begins..:smoke:

In my opinion, it has to be when the plant first shows its sex (flowers), and not from the onset of the 12/12 light schedule. I feel this because what we're talking about is a genetic component of a particular plant variety, which is the same whether you are growing 12/12 from seed, or with a vegetative phase before flowering.

However you grow your weed, the particular variety you are growing will need to spend the same amount of time maturing through the flower phase to reach its peak. Now, the actual time required is a bit of a crap shoot, the seed sellers have been known to exagerate on the low end for time requirements (who doesn't want a plant to finish faster?....) in order to sell more seeds. But given any seed, from a particular variety, it will spend the same time in flower (all other variables remaining constant..) whether it is grown 12/12 from seed, or with a vegatative phase.

Different seeds from the same batch can have different maturation times, but should all be within a similar "window of sexing." Someone mentioned that 20 days as a sensible time frame, I agree, but I have had plants show sex at 15 days using 12/12 from the beginning. Some will probably go 4 weeks on occasion as well.

It takes a little more attention figuring out when the flowering begins if you look for the little flowers, as opposed to just starting to count when the 12/12 light schedule starts. But if you want to be accurate, and make sure the plants grow long enough to reach their peak, then starting from when the flowers first appear is the way to go.

Unless of course you harvest your plants based on what the trichomes look like, using a magnifying scope, which negates the need for a "days in flower" calendar, and is recommended anyways to harvest at the absolute best time.

Jebfx

ok, i have a strain with name blue tops. its from denmark.
i will try it out with this method.

my setup is a homebox xs with 400w hps in cooltube. im planning 9 plants in a 60x60x120 space, 15 cm between each plant. what should i choose between soilbed, coco or hydro. space is limited

jrw

Jebfx,
Sounds like a sweet ride :D

Some have told me that it's tricky to control the nutes for each plant in a bed, unless growing clones. But maybe Blue Tops is a regular bud bomb as advertized and thus a nute hog supreme. In that case you could you feed them hell :D

Coco in individual pots would be good...

Last edited:

wescyber

Okay so I will have to admit I did not look thru this entire thread. Maybe only like 25 pages or so...including the last 5. I have just one thing to say... I'm not convinced. I challenge Hal, Atmosphere, or anyone else who want to pick up the gauntlet to prove this method to me and consequently the rest of the world. I dont post here much but I will check my PM's this week t see if I have any takers. PM me and I will send you my credentials.

-wes

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
I often grow 12/12 from seed, especially if 1) it's a regular seed which might turn out male (in which case I can simply plant another seed, and i've only lost two weeks), or 2) its a long-flowering or sativa-dominant strain or other strain known to stretch. And I have had nothing but great results. I find that it adds about 1-2 weeks to the overall flowering time, but that's to be expected considering there is no veg.

Here are just a few recent harvests that I've grown 12/12 from seed, all flowered under just a single 600w HPS. All plants grew au naturale (no tipping or training or anything) ...

Wallyduck C99:
15097wallyc99plant-med.jpg

OG Kush 'Abusive' x Sour Diesel IBL:
15097ogkaxsdibl-med.jpg

Orange Diesel:
15097orangediesel-med.jpg

Sherry x Sour Diesel IBL:
15097sherry-x-sd-med.jpg

Last edited:

nola

First grow

First grow

I started my first grow on 6/12 but it didn't go under lights and timer until a week later, so it was a bit stretchy. 35 days from being planted and I have pistils on two of my 7 plants! A third older plant isn't telling yet.

My grow cab is small - I'll post pictures when I can. It's the bottom half of an old medical cabinet and the space is 15"x15"x20" tall.

I'm growing bagweed in potting soil using 3-43w cfl's. I check ph with a test kit from the pet store that cost about four bucks. I didn't start nutes until last week, using 5-5-5 miracle grow. I'll get a blooming formula started this next week.

Regarding nutes, am I right in thinking I should be using 1-3-2 proportions in my fertilizer to promote flowering?

I don't exactly have high [heh] hopes for this first try but I should get something out of this first grow. An eight of some decent shit wouldn't be bad for the investment, which hasn't been a lot.

I understand we can't upload them to this site at this time?

phrank

very nice...

very nice...

Pheno

Wow, I'm really impressed! Do you start your seedlings under fluorescent, and then swith to the 600 watter, or is it the 600 watter all the way through..?

phrank

Latest posts

Latest posts