What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 min $10 DIY aerated compost tea ACT brewer

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
bullfrog-

from www.microbeorganics.com:

You need a minimum 0.05 CFM (cubic feet per minute), open flow of air and an optimum 0.08 CFM per gallon (US) or higher to make aerated compost tea (ACT). ACT should have the DO2 sustained at or above 6 PPM. Generally, aquarium pumps produce around 0.02 to 0.16 CFM. Another generality is that 25 watts of power usually produces 0.75 to 1.0 CFM in diaphragm air pumps. The wattage is usually marked on the pump which will help you figure out the approximate output.

do a little reading on the sticky'd tea article to get a better understanding of ACT. it's not a feed (although it does contain a certain amount of nutrients). you can dilute your brews to spread them a little further. ideally you want to just water it straight in without messing with it or waiting too long.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Thanks Heady, but not a feed huh? WTF is the point then? I guess I have some reading to do. This is the sticky for Tea articles and I have read through it 100% and have not found the info you are talking about. Can you show me a link?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
no this thread is about building tea brewers.

the sticky'd tea article is over here.

ACT is a culture that is used to repopulate your soil's biology.

basically you're taking some very biologically active compost, and putting it in a very sexy environment where all the beneficial microorganisms get it on and reproduce like crazy. then you pour that all over your (well amended) soil and the little buggers go to work breaking down organic material and insoluble nutrients and turning them into plant food.

DARC MIND

Veteran
I'm using an eco air 3 commercial pump. It is rated at 65 liters per minute, I would not go any smaller for an air lift design as it is barely enough to force the tea up and over
this kind of gets me worried
i just built a 5 gal vortex brewer & ordered a eco-plus comercial 1 pump to work the air lifts.was even planning on splitting the air tube into two lines to pump up two 24" pvc pipes both a inch thick....

Scrappy4

Veteran
i just built a 5 gal vortex brewer & ordered a eco-plus comercial 1 pump to work the air lifts.was even planning on splitting the air tube into two lines to pump up two 24" pvc pipes both a inch thick....

Based on my experience it won't be enough for an air lift design, unless you neck the return line down quite a bit. When I did just that, then i had debris plugging up around the air diffuser. As a bubble maker it should work fine though......scrappy

Bullfrog44

Veteran
no this thread is about building tea brewers.

the sticky'd tea article is over here.

ACT is a culture that is used to repopulate your soil's biology.

basically you're taking some very biologically active compost, and putting it in a very sexy environment where all the beneficial microorganisms get it on and reproduce like crazy. then you pour that all over your (well amended) soil and the little buggers go to work breaking down organic material and insoluble nutrients and turning them into plant food.

Thank you for the response. I do understand what you wrote, and I guess I didn't see the difference at first. I will read through your link to check about my questions. Thanks for your time. Peace.:dance013:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Dark old boy, I think you can run an airlift fine with the ECO 1 pump. Have you already got your piping? Don't go any larger than 1.25" pipe but 1" may be better. When you are ready to blast drop me a PM or email (he is an old OFC friend) and I'll give you a hand.

Don't use the damn threaded brass fitting that comes with the pump. You need tubing that goes over the nipple/protrusion otherwise you won't have enuf air volume.

Edit: Duh! ya you already got yer pipe.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PS. Bear in mind there is zero sense in running an airlift or vortex brewer at less than full capacity. Filling it part way throws the physics of it out the window. Believe me, I'm officially an authority on it now that I have the patent. hehe

DARC MIND

Veteran
Dark old boy, I think you can run an airlift fine with the ECO 1 pump. Have you already got your piping? Don't go any larger than 1.25" pipe but 1" may be better. When you are ready to blast drop me a PM or email (he is an old OFC friend) and I'll give you a hand.

Don't use the damn threaded brass fitting that comes with the pump. You need tubing that goes over the nipple/protrusion otherwise you won't have enuf air volume.

Edit: Duh! ya you already got yer pipe.
will drop a PM when i get the pump & try to fire her up...
i used the eco 1 based off your website recommendations and the same with cumming up with this design..you personally have helped me a whole lot with out really knowing.
thanx bud!!

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
i used the eco 1 based off your website recommendations and the same with cumming up with this design..you personally have helped me a whole lot with out really knowing.
thanx bud!!
Calm down son!
This isn't one of those websites.
:blowbubbles:

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I really want to support somebody on this website, but it looks like I might just have to make it myself. O well.

Scrappy4

Veteran
I really want to support somebody on this website, but it looks like I might just have to make it myself. O well.

I have about $140 or maybe $150 tops in mine. The ten gallon cone shaped tank was fifty something, the pump $70, and some of the parts I had in the garage.

I just have a small indoor garden, but for summer I'm sharing teas with my veggie garden, flowers and so on. I dilute the teas by 1-1 to 3-1, and so far the mj, the veggies and flowers are all doing well, so I have to think the teas are sound......scrappy

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
If you find the right liquor store, one that sells quantity of Kegs.
You can usually purchase a shell for around $15-30.
15 gal stainless steel.

L3V3R2ooo

microbeman i was wondering if i could get your great tea brewer knowledge i have eco 1 commercial pump and i was wanting to make a air lift brewer with it and would love for some help setting it up and figuring out whats the best way to build it thanks.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
You gotta read this thread first L3V3R2ooo, lots of info you need to know first. Maybe read the TEA sticky also. Helped me a lot.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I'm really sorry that I do not have this ready to go yet. I'm having trouble just keeping up with my everday work. We just built a new lab and I moved in last week....still just organizing.

Latest posts

Latest posts