What's new

1 sqft. Challenge

leaddraft

DrBudGreengenes said:
>snip<
1 time Harvest is a 1 time Harvest?
to make this a "Fair" Challenge"....
I propose everyone use a standard sized object to begin with..
ie. a Milk crate?

or wood Box of the same size?
Within the "Confines" of said Box you could do "Whatever" you want
Lets level the Playing field...

Also DrBGG's said this ......

If I was to engage in this activity it would be a start to finish Mono-Crop W/all the plantlets the same age.
Why does that not make sense?

I agree with this, (DrBudgreengenes opinion) concept/rules for a " Gentleman's challenge"...
There should be a standard size W/Height restrictions ie: 1 cubic foot, or 2 Cubic feet...
No! in-betweens etc... because everyone here knows, every inch X watts=gram per watt=size of grow area.

Grouped in 2 categories
CF L's

HID

CFL's...
No mixing or changing of lights...
Say a standard of 4 X 42 watt CFL's of a agreed upon Light spectrum, ie: 3700K
OR 4 X 23 watt CFL's, (to even the playing field for those with not much funds, or resources).
Start to finish..

HID's, 70 watts or 150's, everyone agree to which wattage etc..
Start to Finish.. Same as CFL's

Method of growing, hydro/soil/buckets/DWC/Scrog/LST is OPTIONAL/OPEN method of growing..

ALL grows MUST be started from seed, NO CLONES, Strains are a OPEN option..
This would pretty much level the playing field equally, IMOP...

Pick a "Start Date" for Germination of seeds & a END Date for the challenge to be over, like 3 months, Example,,,Starting New Years Day and Ending 03/31/09,,, For this "Challenge", in addition, Starting a new thread for said Challenge..
This will give time for participants to gather their "gear".. Grow Materials etc..

This, above statement, would require participants, to submit pictures of their "grow cab", method of growing, Strain of seeds picked, for approval of a neutral observer/judge..

With this, in theory, you could get a 1' X 1' X 1' cubed heavy-duty cardboard box, paint the inside white, or ALF it, set-up some CFL's, or like DrBGG's said; a freaking common item like a Plastic Milk crate to do the job... plant seed and start growing @ the Start Date....
One run for weight, Quality really doesn't matter, your going for grams X watt x space=weight,,,,,,,...(lord I got it back-azzwards, forgive me please... ;) )
One rule would be have a ONCE A WEEK PICTURE UPDATE on your submission....
Only thing here, is the "Honesty" issue, since this IS the internet...
Which is why "prizes" are NOT going to be issued, giving people incentive to "cheat"...
Though here on ICMAG, I'm hoping, like the Hippies of old, have HONESTY & INTEGRITY to play W/out cheating just for "bragging rights"...
Weigh-out, (much like fishing the Bass Masters), will depend on TRUST between people, following; what will hope to form in the near future, to be a close, tight knit group of peeps, sharing grow methods, information,advancing "new"? ways to get the most out of a small space, and after this is all over on getting the MOST weight out of the smallest space possible, then Quality WILL follow!
All this though is just merely speculation, and thoughts while Medicating for pain..
Hope I contributed here somewhat..
Peace & Light..
Dave

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
leaddraft said:
No! in-betweens etc... because everyone here knows, every inch X watts=gram per watt=size of grow area.

I've never seen a GPW (gram per watt) calculation include cubic footage. It is based off the SQUARE footage of the floor, ie 1 sq ft (1'x1'xhowever tall you want).

Most people keep lights close to the plants so adding lots of height with cfls isn't going to give anyone an advantage.

I think most people would be very pressed to fit lights, a container and plant under 12"

I agree there should be CFL and HID categories, but there should be no restrictions on what bulbs/wattages/etc that people want to run. Adding a lot of lights won't necessarily increase your GPW, and in fact may decrease it because we are dealing with very limited space.

Part of this should be learning and I believe allowing various bulb arrangements and wattages of CFLs in 1sq ft or 2sq ft, will benefit everyone more than restricting everyone to a specific spec.

This gives us a better chance of finding out what arrangements, spectrum(s), wattages, for CFLs perform best in a limited area.

B

badugi

I think no height restrictions sucks. You could build an 8ft tall vertical system and call it 1sqft, but that's not really "fair". Additionally, I think all that stuff about seed-only and CFLs and HIDs and all that is crazy. Do whatever you want as long as the size is standard. Use as many watts as you want (gonna run into problems cooling it if you use too much).

A nice rule would be that everything (incl. equipment) must be self-contained within a certain package size. This way someone isn't going to try to light up an open-lid 1' x 1' box with a 1k HID hanging overhead.

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
badugi said:
I think no height restrictions sucks. You could build an 8ft tall vertical system and call it 1sqft, but that's not really "fair". Additionally, I think all that stuff about seed-only and CFLs and HIDs and all that is crazy. Do whatever you want as long as the size is standard. Use as many watts as you want (gonna run into problems cooling it if you use too much).

I agree seed or clone doesn't matter.

I disagree that cfl and hid should be lumped together, they are too different and there should be separate categories for them.

badugi said:
A nice rule would be that everything (incl. equipment) must be self-contained within a certain package size. This way someone isn't going to try to light up an open-lid 1' x 1' box with a 1k HID hanging overhead.

Again if someone wants to run a hid, that would be in the hid category. Likewise, if they want to run a 1k light over 1sq ft of space, then let them, their gpw is gonna be like .01.

B

badugi

1k overhead a 1' x 1' box, not a 1k inside a 1' x 1' box. You will likely get much better results using an open-top box with a 1k lit 1-2ft overhead, rather than an enclosed 1' x 1' box with a smaller wattage bulb inside.

Who cares if HIDs and CFLs are different? Use what you use, just make it work inside a 1' x 1' space, right? HID, CFL, LED, sulfur plasma, whatever you can make work.

PS - 0.01 gpw of real yield is far better than 2.34 - 3.34 gpw of lies & imagination.

Last edited:

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Keep it open. It is about maximizing the space available.

I think a variety of things would be awesome because that is how we're going to find the true winner of the contest :) Maximize the space! In my opinion, no other rules should matter if your close to the size of the space limit. I've seen what people can do with CFLs and 70w HPS in these spaces in lots of threads and some of the cab's are masterpieces with impressive end results.

The real creative work will come down the ventilation and the issue with ventilation is stealth if needed. I'd like to see a contest for a cab that is optimized for the lowest possible noise, smallest space, and yield. The contest could get pretty crazy if people used some crazy fans on little lights! All the basic principles of what make a good grow are exaggerated on the Micro level and thus are easy for us to see and you can't fix what you can't see :rasta:

Last edited:

dabbler

This will be great for us new growers, I've just finished my 1st grow in a 1sq ft space actually! My box is 11 inches by 13inches by 27inches tall.
I used an old kitchen cupboard (a skinny one) with an 85w clf bulb and a pc fan. There's photos in my gallery if anyone wants to look.
I got about an ounce ( I was growing Flo which is not reknowned for yield)but I know a lot more is viable using various techniques that I have not yet mastered/tried.
I'm 14 days into flower on another girl now, I know this one is a heavier yielder, its orange bud crossed with white widow and very very nice.
Looking forward to following this thread - It would be a shame if my box is too tall for the "friendly challenge"

B

badugi

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna win this thing with the rules set up the way they are. I mean, how can I not? :confused:

In fact, I'm gonna lay odds. Any takers?

Going once...

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
badugi said:
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna win this thing with the rules set up the way they are. I mean, how can I not? :confused:

In fact, I'm gonna lay odds. Any takers?

Going once...

Go for it.

If you use a 1k HID, then you will be in the HID category, you will not be competing against CFLs, so you will only be winning the HID category (if you win).

If you wanna line a 1'x1'xwhateverheight box with 1,000 watts of CFLs to be in the CFL category, then go for it.

I know I'd love to see you pull 1,000 g (to get 1.0 gpw) outta a 1sq ft (1'x1'xwhateverheight) box by either sticking a 1k HID above it (outside the box) or lining the walls with 1,000 watts of CFL bulbs.

I guess I would add one more caveat to the rules to prevent people from being sneaky, and that is NO transparent boxes. This would be to prevent someone from making a plexiglass box and sticking it under a 1k HID or using supplemental lighting not included in any GPW calculation.

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
badugi said:
I'm just gonna put the box outside under direct sun.

You'd be, and already are, in a category all by yourself, as the sun is not a HID nor a CFL.

Let's clarify;
There is NO supplemental lighting.
The box can be whatever height, but MUST have a top ie, lights enclosed WITHIN the box.
No transparent walls/top, no windows, etc
CFL category means all bulbs must be CFL.
HID category means bulbs may be all HID or a mixture of HID and CFL.

Geez this is just supposed to be a friendly competition and learning experience there is no need to turn it into a challenge with a 500 page 'rulebook'

If you, or anyone else, feels the need to 'win' with some outrageous contraption or some ridiculous interpretations of the 'rules', then so be it. I really don't think you'll impress anyone with that kinda stuff.

Personally, I'd rather see someone build a working, usable box that has minimal wattage and maximum output for that wattage.

roughnice420

i agree. you guys are overthinkin it. everyone is gonna post up their grows, i dont see anyone doing something outrageous.

lets just set a start date.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So... has anybody decided on something yet? I'm interested but I'd like to know if there is a heighth restriction. Also as far as floor space I think it should be limited to 1 square foot. I don't care if its 12 x 12 or not but 1 Sf. Any start date?

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 1sq ft cab I just built is at day 49 so I can't start until end of Jan.

I'm sure there are other people's cabs that are in use and some people will need some time to build one.

Jan 15? Feb 1?

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah I'm going to need another cab. It'll be feb 1 for me. I'm starting to think I should just set up a room instead of having all these cabs laying around.

jchesmore722

im building a box thats 18 in x 18 in so its 2.25 ft sq alltogether. im gona fill it with clones that are in 16oz bottles and do a mini sog. It is going to be under a 150w HPS that is aircooled and has a temperd glass shield. THe box is two feet tall.

I know this is a little bigger than the constraints for this challenege but its the same basic idea....Get the most out of the smallest space available.
If i get an eigth per plant(very do-able) theres 49 plants that would be 6 OZ in 2 sq feet so....
Roughly 3 OZ in 1 sq ft

Only time will tell.
i cant wait to get started