What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything Outdoor 2018

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I wanted to start a thread about this 2018 OUTDOOR growing season. Keep the subject anything about your outdoor grow and maybe bounce some ideas off each other ie help some fellow growers. The thread can be about the strain your running, your latitude, are you using a soil mixture in containers or beds, even planting straight into the ground. Also were your planting are you getting enough sunlight , what your doing for pest control & keep animals out. So I think everybody understànds the gist of this thread. Hopefully we can talk about our grows if we've got started or preparation leading up to the grow. I hope we get some outdoor growers chatting around about there grows!!!

Dday391

This year I'm doing some experimenting on later finishers. I'm at 42N and I'm trying to run girl scout cookies, a hybrid I came into possession of called blackberry lemonade (super lemon haze x blackberry)I had 3 feminized of the b.l, I have about 20 g.s.c. so far. I'm certainly excited lol

caliprop215

Veteran
Good thread idea

Im thinking about buying a 2000 pack of red wiggler worms to aerate the soil to get more air to my roots from the tunneling they do. ???

Plus the benifits of worm castings.i know that amount of worms wont create much casting but hey some is better then none right. Have 8 plants outdoor .each plant would 200 plus worms each and they double that in 3 months....

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Hello guys I'm around 37n Dday . How long can you usually grow barring some freak weather?? I'm prolly good until late Oct myself...maybe longer but don't wanna jinx it. I'm getting a lot of stuff going not sure exact strains yet. I'm starting a bit late this yr. I've got some stuff going but I'm waiting on more seeds.

Hey Cailprop I love to hear new ideas and try new things ....kinda experiment some . I'd say give it a try a see how it works. I'm using some different soil mixtures with my plants but everything is gonna be close....just some tweaks here and there.

What do you guys use for insects?? Caterpillars/mites and other plant eaters. I know the azamax is kinda expensive so anybody use other products???

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Flowering where im at all through September/October/November is constant rain, 85+% humidity, lightning and 70+mph wind storms, snow storms lol. I had blue cheese plants go until november 7th last year flowering through 3 snow storms and consecutive freezing weather days.

These are all organic/natural solutions:

Ive been using diatomaceous earth (powder silicon) as a foliar spray on my plants 2 tablespoon per gallon water intermittently though veg to deter/kill insets, but i learned recently it also helps prevent infection/mildew and a few other benefits, check out the link on silicon in my signature.

A thin layer of sand/perlite/gravel etc something inert over the top of your soil prevents gnats/larvae/eggs from getting into your soil. Dust a layer of Diotamaceous earth over the top of the soil/inert layer as well.

The diatomaceous earth is smooth powder like baby powder/flour, but on a microscopic level its like broken glass to most insects and they will avoid your plants like the plague. Can work into your cats/dogs fur and it will deter fleas/ticks, good to eat for them as well as it kills intestinal worms. Also good for people, silicon is good for bones! I can get a 40lb bag of diatomaceous earth for $20 at the feedstore by my house, otherwise Garden Safe Brand Crawling Insect Killer is the same thing but more expensive.

Garden Safe brand Neem oil extract is cheap and works well, i used Down To Earth brand neem seed meal (crushed neem tree seeds) and diatomaceous earth powder mixed into my soil this year as well to kill larvae or eggs that may have been in soil/gotten in soil. using neem seed meal in soil makes bugs not like the way your weed tastes and will avoid also.

Neem seed meal is also a good veg food npk 6-1-2, can also use to make foliar sprays (just like neem extract/oils, its probably better making your own from the neem seed meal because your getting more than only azadirachtin in premade extract liquids)

Place bird feeders/bird baths around your plants, they eat caterpillars and other crawling insects. if possible plant lettuce or some other leafy green as a lure/sacrifice because caterpillars etc will go after those first.

Hornets EAT SLUGS AND CATERPILLARS, got lucky last season some nested near my plant.

Copper wire DOES NOT stop slugs in my experince, supposedly they love beer though and you can make beer can traps to catch slugs.

Human urine works well at keeping deer etc away, i read somewhere someone recommended ordering predatory animal urine to spread around your plants. If deep in the swamp or woods id advise against using predatory animal urine in case something curious comes to investigate.

Last edited:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea it's usually 80degress to 90 all through the summer here. The farmers almanac says it gonna be hotter and a more rain than normal. Either way it's usually hot and humid all summer. Sept somewhat cooler, Oct starting to cool down, it was Nov first week before it might have lightly frost. But there's a lot of dew and haze early morning lifting out of these Mtns right now. Trying to make sure my locations are gonna be in areas to get enough direct sun that my 30gal smart pots are going in . The other containers I can move around for now.

I'm going to Lowes or somewhere tomorrow to get stuff for insects and bugs, need some perlite, trying to get some good soil and compost, maybe some more amendments. I have to order whatever lowes , HD or Wally's don't have . I've got some Marine Cuisine, and Mykos just ordered.....wish I got everything going sonner but the next few weeks I'm gonna be busy.

Thanks illbechillin for all the suggestions... I always used neem oil and some of the other stuff from the hardware stores. I may move my bird feeder out to my planting area..... You got a ton of great ideas, I love to study the growing of marijuana...I've done indoor or outdoor growing since I was 15yrs old and I'm almost 40yrs old and still learning..

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Anybody got any pics of there grows or outdoor pics of anything they'd like to post. It's gonna be a few weeks before I have any plants to show. I've really been working fixing up one of my areas I'm gonna have plants in, also making some DIY smart pots I saw a thread on here that's cool.

Anything that anybody wants to chat about or show pics of is welcome.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
You may have already seen these from page 5 post #43 in my Tons Of Information On Max Efficiency Growing, Root Systems and Breeding thread but i find its relevant, at the bottom is a link to an article from sensi seeds on companion planting, and info on where i get my ground alfalfa cheap instead of buying alfalfa meal.

Cellulose, hemi cellulose and pectin take Ca to form. B and Si increase the delivery of Ca

If you never get enough Ca you might not know

take a look at where those narrow leaf varieties come from.

There ain’t much better than a 100F GH with 80% humidity to grow them in. Get your Ca saturation to 75% and stand back

Thanks Jidoka.

From blog.nutri tech.com

"American consultant, Gary Zimmer, coined the term “Calcium the trucker of all minerals and boron the steering wheel” and he correctly highlighted the critically important, synergistic relationship between these two minerals. It is a simple fact that you will be disappointed in your lime response if your soils are boron deficient because calcium does not provide its many benefits in the absence of boron. During a recent trip to New Zealand I was speaking with a dairy farmer who had made a considerable investment in lime but had seen very few benefits from the exercise. Upon further investigation I found that his soil tests revealed a massive boron deficiency! In fact, he had just 0.1 ppm of boron in his soils when he required a minimum of 1 ppm. He had created this deficiency through burning out his organic matter reserves with large applications of urea and then leaching boron with centre pivot irrigation. Organic matter is the boron storehouse as it is the only component of the soil that has the positively charged sites to attract and retain this negatively charged trace mineral (anion). As your organic matter declines so does your boron, as it is the most leachable of all trace elements. However this dairy farmer’s boron neglect cost him more than a poor lime response. There was virtually no clover on his entire property because legumes are boron-hungry and will struggle when boron drops to these levels. The lack of clover was also related to urea abuse as legumes never thrive in high N situations. When most people think of legumes they think of nitrogen fixation and the associated reduced requirement for applied N. However, legumes offer more than this. Legumes constantly release organic acids which are invaluable in solubilising locked-up phosphorus (over 70% of applied phosphate becomes insoluble) and they also make calcium more bio-available which is beneficial to both soil organisms and plants. So you get nitrogen, calcium and phosphorus from legumes and you don’t get a good legume to grass ratio without boron. These calcium and legume links should offer enough motivation for you to manage boron nutrition but this highly leachable trace element provides several other benefits."

Source Link:
https://blog.nutri-tech.com.au/the-role-of-boron-much-more-than-a-synergist/

Follow this link for more good info on what the different companion plants do for the main crop:
https://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/benefits-companion-planting-cannabis/

The companion crops you use depend on environment, indoors mostly nutrient helping companions. outdoor/greenhouse pest detterent companions also.

In reference to the alfalfa...I use it as a nitrogen and triacontanol source, i just use alfalfa pellets from the feed store for my soil. i think i got a 40 or 50 pound bag for like $12 or $15 dollars. Its just ground alfalfa compressed into pellets.

Last edited:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Man it's been along day....I've been to my nearest Lowes and Wal to get some extra soil, earthworm castings,perlite, and some products I'm gonna have to test on a bagseed plant to keep the bugs and everything off.....it's about 1.5 hrs each way to drive to lowes. Yes I'm in the middle of nowhere lol. Most Of my soil amendments I'm gonna be ordering, all my fox farm stuff I'm gonna use and also a lot of stuff I can't think of but my lowes and walmart don't have much of a selection except some harvest organic soil, and a few other soils that I don't mind to use. I'll prolly have around 15 container and beds of different sizes that I'm gonna have going and I'm not sure how many guerilla plants I'm gonna sink. So I'm gonna be using a few different techniques and what not. I'll have several grow threads going pretty soon. I'll get some pics up soon of some of the stuff I'm gonna use

Ibechillin you are a sponge of knowledge my friend I'm still reading some of your stuff I haven't had much sleep guys I'll get back on here tomorrow . I was going take some pics of the land I'm growing on but it's been raining a lot and hopefully this weekend I'll post some stuff.

MCGold

Good thread idea

Im thinking about buying a 2000 pack of red wiggler worms to aerate the soil to get more air to my roots from the tunneling they do. ???

Plus the benifits of worm castings.i know that amount of worms wont create much casting but hey some is better then none right. Have 8 plants outdoor .each plant would 200 plus worms each and they double that in 3 months....

make sure you dig the surrounding area up a bit so and water a day or three prior to releasing the worms as loosening the soil will aid them re-establishing a home and the water makes tunneling easier with the soil broken up and damp it's a win/win. you won't lose as many worms to predators either due to the worms not having to tunnel through dry, compact soil. Good Luck!

MCGold

Good thread idea

make sure you dig the surrounding area up a bit so and water a day or three prior to releasing the worms as loosening the soil will aid them re-establishing a home and the water makes tunneling easier with the soil broken up and damp it's a win/win. you won't lose as many worms to predators either due to the worms not having to tunnel through dry, compact soil. Good Luck!

P.S. don't forget some composted vegetative matter for the worms to eat.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
What's your guys take on hiding your plants to avoid helicopter detection??? I've kinda usually planted on the edges of the tree line and tried to find enough sunlight were I plant and make sure they hopefully aren't spotted. I also never plant in a group.....I know this doesn't apply to legal crops. Any suggestions????

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
What's your guys take on hiding your plants to avoid helicopter detection??? I've kinda usually planted on the edges of the tree line and tried to find enough sunlight were I plant and make sure they hopefully aren't spotted. I also never plant in a group.....I know this doesn't apply to legal crops. Any suggestions????

It depends on where you're at. Some counties in WV are flown much heavier than others.

Plant mainly in singles or groups of 2, always in/around/up against other thick natural vegetation.

MAKE SURE THE DIRT YOU DIG UP IS COVERED. Wet black and dry grey dirt both show up easily against the lush green background of the surrounding grass and vegetation.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
It depends on where you're at. Some counties in WV are flown much heavier than others.

Plant mainly in singles or groups of 2, always in/around/up against other thick natural vegetation.

MAKE SURE THE DIRT YOU DIG UP IS COVERED. Wet black and dry grey dirt both show up easily against the lush green background of the surrounding grass and vegetation.

Yes a few yrs ago they hit this area crazy early. Some guys had plants very small....think it was June and they had them in there backyard. I know the plants were small because the grower was a novice. The area I grow in has been used in the past by a very old grower and he kept his stuff hide good. I've got some good cover maybe too much but if needed I will cut a branch here and there. I will cover my tracks well and them some.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Along way from the city

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 26

FUCKINGROOVIN

Damn man, I don’t know what it is with WV and TN, but when I stayed in TN (Newport, Pigeon Forge, Cosby area), my nerves were always shot to shit. I don’t see how y’all keep ya nerves right outdoors.
I moved back a lil further south and east and don’t hear them that often. The only problem we have here is either red/grey clay being dominant, so I have to dig holes and import amended soil.
We have a fairly large pasture where we had cattle for the past 25yrs. Man the areas where you would put out the large circle bails of hay every 3-5 days are a blessing. I try to put 3-4 of my best pre-sexed ladies there by mid May. You can take a shovel and it just sinks 2 1/2 feet up the handle. Full of worms and dark as hell.
Not sure about yourself WV, but summer is pretty rough here having to haul in water.
I’m thinking about using a 12v submersible pump wrapped in window screen inside of a 1 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it, that I can hook to the truck battery and puttin one of the 50gallon Rugged Totes from Lowe’s (rigged with a ball valve threaded in to the side with about 30ft of 5/8” hose attached)in the bed of the truck and fillin it up so I can take it to the ladies.
I don’t know if it’s just down south, but about the best thing you can get at local Lowe’s is mushroom compost or black cow brand manure compost. Southern states has a good price on 3.5cu ft bags of perlite and vermiculite.
As far as cover, blackberry bushes and briars everywhere.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Damn man, I don’t know what it is with WV and TN, but when I stayed in TN (Newport, Pigeon Forge, Cosby area), my nerves were always shot to shit. I don’t see how y’all keep ya nerves right outdoors.
I moved back a lil further south and east and don’t hear them that often. The only problem we have here is either red/grey clay being dominant, so I have to dig holes and import amended soil.
We have a fairly large pasture where we had cattle for the past 25yrs. Man the areas where you would put out the large circle bails of hay every 3-5 days are a blessing. I try to put 3-4 of my best pre-sexed ladies there by mid May. You can take a shovel and it just sinks 2 1/2 feet up the handle. Full of worms and dark as hell.
Not sure about yourself WV, but summer is pretty rough here having to haul in water.
I’m thinking about using a 12v submersible pump wrapped in window screen inside of a 1 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it, that I can hook to the truck battery and puttin one of the 50gallon Rugged Totes from Lowe’s (rigged with a ball valve threaded in to the side with about 30ft of 5/8” hose attached)in the bed of the truck and fillin it up so I can take it to the ladies.
I don’t know if it’s just down south, but about the best thing you can get at local Lowe’s is mushroom compost or black cow brand manure compost. Southern states has a good price on 3.5cu ft bags of perlite and vermiculite.
As far as cover, blackberry bushes and briars everywhere.

Yes there's a major benzo epidemic man prolly worse than opioids around here. But I'm a old indoor grower I've been away from WV for awhile and really haven't done more than a plant or so in some yrs outdoors. I'm really more nerves about growing outdoors than I was ever growing indoors. May be the fact I'm to old to go to jail and to many health problems.

I'm concern about the watering issue also . I have a spring and holler that water runs out of but I'm sure this summer it's gonna be dry. That's why I'm gonna have to be stealth on hiding stuff close to keep the walk short on carrying water. I almost got paralyzed from a car accident and it hard on me doing this outdoor stuff. I might buy about 1000yd of water hose lol.....I'd love to be able to grow legal like out west and up michigan and have a irrigation system set up dripping in the flower bed.

The lowes thing or anywhere with 2hrs one way driving I can't find shit to grow with.....fucking been around the world trying to find a bag of perlite man. Them lil bags is all I find $5 a bag. I'm just gonna order the big bag and have to can to my other addy. I can't find shit I think these growers have just used this MG shit and don't know how much they need different products. I'm not saying MG doesn't or want grow weed, I'm saying I like things that suit growing weed and products I've grown weed with. I guess these guys havè used this shit to grow with so long they don't care and are used to it. Last time I remember seeing big plants around here was 20+ yrs ago when I was in high school. Seems like nowadays at least around here the few growers I know are extremely novice grows that don't have a clue. I'm sure there some old 60or older guys up in these Mtns with a real garden. Most people refer to weed as just that....sometimes chronic, shit that killed Elvis, you get were I'm going right?? Sometimes I'll hear guys say damn this guy has good weed $20 a gram lol so I guess $20 a gram is a strain around here lol. I do here BB and Kush sometimes but they don't know...most guys just here a strain and it stays in there head like Kush.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I've got a bagseed plant I'm using to experiment with to see kinda what's gone eat on it. The plant got overwatered outside from rain but I'm waiting on my seeds to arrive so like I said just a experiment plant. Every grower should start a plant early in any grow to test different stuff out....even if you know everything or think you do.
Looks like aphids or something...there bugs to my I'm not well versed on these bug. There a lot of mites,caterpillars, other shit around here. I've just got Organicide and neem exact, got some stuff ordered azamax, probably gonna mix need seed meal into my soil mixture. I'm probably gonna get start growing for real next week and have something to do lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 22

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I just got back on the forums a few weeks ago and having trouble post pics. I'm on the mobile site using my iPhone. I can't remember how I used to post pics. It's hard to paste/copy on this device.

Attachments

• dumb asses
    dumb asses
    49.1 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Latest posts