What's new

how many generations til a strain becomes yours

Coba

Veteran
luckily for me, in the plant world, reproduction means "propagation".

Plant propagation is not necessarily achieved by sexual reproduction. if a breeder can take cuttings (ie asexual reproduction) and have them ...
a.) produce and grow on their own roots or,
b.) successfully graft to established root stock, then a breeder should have successfully reproduced their creation, at least that's what I gather from reading the links provided anyways.

In sexual reproduction, I assume, it's all about the marketable trait and how well the retail seed stock breed true for this trait.

One way can be achieved by doing the actual breeding work. working a trait into a line. there are plenty of threads here on that topic.

Another way is the F1. When two homo-lines crosses for the first time it creates something new. not the F2. Just the F1 is the homo-offspring. not pot grower's multiple poly-hybrid F1's either. Google the grape tomato variety called the "Santa Sweets F1" the F1 is part of it's legal name. I think it's a plum tomato crossed with a cherry tomato.

I have a few seed catalogs sent to me seasonally and, I can't recall ever seeing F2,3,4,5... attached to seed stock. It's usually either an F1, an Heirloom variety, or a new variety.

stuff that is usually sold from the live plants sections says it either grows on it's own roots or is grafted ... and grafted roses are usually on regionally specific root stock, at least in the literature that I'm looking at.

I've taken cuttings from grafted roses in the past and successfully had a Mister Lincoln growing on it's own roots and actually blooming. But, it didn't like it though and never really took off. After two years it would produce super small blooms and really weak "canes" for a climber ... That's why I'm sure the breeder meant for this type to be grafted.

I also have santa sweets F1 saved seeds, the F2 generation, so far all of them have bred true. They produce a perfectly good grape tomato. I have read however, that the F2's are only supposed to breed true 91% of the time and the subsequent generation's homozygocity deteriorates even further with every generation. I assume that's why I cannot find Santa Sweets seeds labeled "new variety" out there. make sense?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
still ignoring sporulating meiosis and the uniqueness it encodes.
mitosis don't cut it.

you never get the same results. ever. facsimile maybe, but no copy.

Ph-patrol

Veteran
indubitably.jpg

HillBilly1

Veteran
^^^
You Mr. Tom Hill sir are a truly vile and disgusting person. Take your foul language and your greed is good attitude and get the f*ck out of here. I will not be buying any of yours seeds because of your behavior here and will tell others to do the same.
Hell I have been trying to get my shit hooks on some
Tom Hill seeds forever and no luck. Best I could do was
Some Monkey Balls. Still would chokeamotherfuckerout
For a pack of X18s Especially after I lost my Tora Bora
That was my only shot and it was a cross.

Still can't believe I made it this far in this thread

Charles-scott

Veteran
I like sharing my work with others it brings great joy to read threads with detailed pictures of my breeding , often what the majority of consumers really want is best expressed in f1 generation .
My motivations have changed so much over the years for me breeding is something of a personal joy , I may or may not share with others it's about my own production first personal taste dry sieve quality is pretty vital .
I have been so tested in so many ways this season from health to pests I harvested all those Panama red f1 only to have gotten sick in hospital and have mice / rats eat all those seeds and some others on me .
I just hope in the long run I will have contributed to the Cannabis gene pool in a positive way and future generations enjoy my contribution .
I must admit that having worked for corporate cannabis with gready greasy aspirations to own and patent everything motivated me to action not for my own gain but in hopes of preventing a bunch of gready people who have no history or relationship with the plant from stepping up manipulating people and grabbing work that so many have sacrificed so much for so long to get where it is today .
I don't want to own anything acknowledgment for my bit is nice but we none of us want greedy corporations from taking over what we a love and have in common !
It's certainly about respecting each other's contributions but most of all keeping the genetics and our ability to cultivate them as free as can be .
Much love
Charles

mtntrogger

Veteran
I like sharing my work with others it brings great joy to read threads with detailed pictures of my breeding , often what the majority of consumers really want is best expressed in f1 generation .
My motivations have changed so much over the years for me breeding is something of a personal joy , I may or may not share with others it's about my own production first personal taste dry sieve quality is pretty vital .
I have been so tested in so many ways this season from health to pests I harvested all those Panama red f1 only to have gotten sick in hospital and have mice / rats eat all those seeds and some others on me .
I just hope in the long run I will have contributed to the Cannabis gene pool in a positive way and future generations enjoy my contribution .
I must admit that having worked for corporate cannabis with gready greasy aspirations to own and patent everything motivated me to action not for my own gain but in hopes of preventing a bunch of gready people who have no history or relationship with the plant from stepping up manipulating people and grabbing work that so many have sacrificed so much for so long to get where it is today .
I don't want to own anything acknowledgment for my bit is nice but we none of us want greedy corporations from taking over what we a love and have in common !
It's certainly about respecting each other's contributions but most of all keeping the genetics and our ability to cultivate them as free as can be .
Much love
Charles
Right ON !! ^^^ More folks need to see things this way

Copperfield

As far as I know, your just breeding the same seeds u bought.... Just defining their traits more... Potency,smell, tastes..... It's still the same smoke tho unless u throw in another flavor/type of herb....

I would like to know if u are seeing any noticeable differences n weight/taste/high?? Keep up the good work

Charles-scott

Veteran
As far as I know, your just breeding the same seeds u bought.... Just defining their traits more... Potency,smell, tastes..... It's still the same smoke tho unless u throw in another flavor/type of herb....

I would like to know if u are seeing any noticeable differences n weight/taste/high?? Keep up the good work
I work with many common building blocks but the majority of what I breed with are not seeds anyone can buy I am working with strains directly from Pakistan , Afghanistan , Vietnam , Thailand etc
I integrate certain elites into my breeding program with many strains .
I have introduced many landrace into the main stream over the years by collecting in country , trading with others who collect and sharing those seeds with others like Congolese , Nigerian , Chinese and many more so I would not agree that I'm working with seeds I purchased .

Recently I have been working with seeds I collected in Northern India /Southern Pakistan , recently I received 3 new strains directly from Pakistan and 1 from Afghanistan from folks who love the plant and have spent there lives in the region they seriously dought any western breeder has ever got his hands on these genetics .

The quality of the northern Pakistani plant I have been working with is amazing they tell me the genetics I have now from the tribal area and chittral are the best in the country , my goal is to find the best most unique genetics I can , the high and flavour of the plant I call jihadi is so lovely anyways you hopefully understand what I do and what motivates me as a breeder .
Charles

mtntrogger

Veteran
@copperfield, Reef is not your average chucker, I would say most if not all "real" breeders do not use purchased seeds, and if so very rarely. These guys like Reeferman and Bodhi spend considerable amounts of time to acquire these rare landraces, which should be the foundation for all breeding programs. Every true breeder knows that crossing elite "a" to elite "b" is not breeding, nor is in crossing a pack of purchased beans. Big ups to Referman and others like him who put in real time and work for the rest of us to enjoy !

yocs

I work with many common building blocks but the majority of what I breed with are not seeds anyone can buy I am working with strains directly from Pakistan , Afghanistan , Vietnam , Thailand etc
I integrate certain elites into my breeding program with many strains .
I have introduced many landrace into the main stream over the years by collecting in country , trading with others who collect and sharing those seeds with others like Congolese , Nigerian , Chinese and many more so I would not agree that I'm working with seeds I purchased .

Recently I have been working with seeds I collected in Northern India /Southern Pakistan , recently I received 3 new strains directly from Pakistan and 1 from Afghanistan from folks who love the plant and have spent there lives in the region they seriously dought any western breeder has ever got his hands on these genetics .

The quality of the northern Pakistani plant I have been working with is amazing they tell me the genetics I have now from the tribal area and chittral are the best in the country , my goal is to find the best most unique genetics I can , the high and flavour of the plant I call jihadi is so lovely anyways you hopefully understand what I do and what motivates me as a breeder .
Charles

I can't speak for the guy, but think he was speaking on my original post about the Dutch passion blueberry. So don't get offended just yet....

Charles-scott

Veteran
I can't speak for the guy, but think he was speaking on my original post about the Dutch passion blueberry. So don't get offended just yet....

It takes a whole lot more than that to raise my brow these days haha
I'm pretty mellow these days about to become a grandpa for the first time from a appropriately aged elder child !
This year was really hard work for me but I also fell back deeply in love with marijane it seems over the years of trials trama and good times my relationship with the plant has gone through different stages it was hot and heavy when I was arrested many years ago and told the judge I would grow the plant if it was $3 a bushel got locked up away from my young family , house burned down while I was I jail I stuck with my convictions at times certainly questioning my sanity .
Than winning Canada's first cups another high point .
Than going to the Middle East than Mexico growing populations of plants a goal I had always wanted to do.
Than major trouble struggle , people in the scene treating me like a lepper lol
It's been a trip this year it was just the plant and I and lived and respected friends told me I grew the biggest healthiest mj plants they had ever seen outdoor in BC .
This was the year where the flame of my youth that made me love the plant flourished into a forest fire .
Things got finished I had been working on for a very long while and many other plans came together .
Our reality is about to Change in a very big way , I was asked today for my insite and input on the policy that will determine the future of the plant in Canada very weird timing overall something unexpected .
Hey thanks for listening to my rambling guys
Much love
Charles

Charles-scott

Veteran
@reef congrads on the tuna kush win

That was not me lol that is reeferman genetics who paid the entry for a Cali grower who grew out the Bc Tuna cut I would never enter Tuna .
With the laws Changing and my posting under my own names and children all adults I have legal operations in Canada and Europe We are soon to change the name of our overall company to Scott Family farms
The reeferman , prairie fire and revolution label will all fall under that banner .
High times do not respect copy right allow that company to claim our cup wins etc
It's all about to change with the new law we will be able to enforce copy right until that time there will be fakes .
Much love
Charles

Gizmo

:eek:: edit : oops, child hacking, Gizmo's baby posted a message in my back, sorry, he 's a true gremlins i must tell :biggrin:
good luck for the legalization in Canada and to all the growers breeders outthere

Last edited:

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
The seedz are yours the plants you grow are yours and even the inbreeding is work you are doing but to claim the line is not respectful bless up and best of luck