What's new

how many generations til a strain becomes yours

KiefSweat

Veteran
i'm sure the people playing the game know whats going to sell and whats not. Making cookies s1 is a good business plan for your bottom line, its not breeding its making and selling seed.

The real question is what happens when someone starts selling s2s.

Croissant

i'm sure the people playing the game know whats going to sell and whats not. Making cookies s1 is a good business plan for your bottom line, its not breeding its making and selling seed.

The real question is what happens when someone starts selling s2s.

that is a good point. The thing is someone may buy lets say 10 packs of the s1s phenol hunting and come across "the one" which is totally unique and s2 it. In effect they made an artistic contribution to the line and it may produce something very different because of the selections.

Some one else may do the same process but with 1 pack and and pick the most generic phenol. I may think that is complete shit but who the fuck am I to be the authority upon what constitutes art.

This is where it once again comes back to respect. The spandex rule applies here, 'yes, you can but should you?'

Lochinvar

whats the big deal with cookies anyway? just some low yielding, hollywood bud...if ya know what i mean. elite strains are not always special. sorry

CoCoSativas

whats the big deal with cookies anyway? just some low yielding, hollywood bud...if ya know what i mean. elite strains are not always special. sorry

It's the flavour I keep a certain cut that's not amazing but I like it's finished dope.

I will keep something if it's got a couple attributes that stand out I don't expect high potency flavourful stuff yield well. Just like I don't expect that much out of strait up yielder many are really hemp dominant trash... all the best drug cannabis I've grown over the years tends to yield the worst... I've had a few remarkable individuals I wish I had have cloned because they were the total package but oh well. I got some new on the way plus I'm enjoying my testers

S

SooperSmurph

It's the flavour I keep a certain cut that's not amazing but I like it's finished dope.

I will keep something if it's got a couple attributes that stand out I don't expect high potency flavourful stuff yield well. Just like I don't expect that much out of strait up yielder many are really hemp dominant trash... all the best drug cannabis I've grown over the years tends to yield the worst... I've had a few remarkable individuals I wish I had have cloned because they were the total package but oh well. I got some new on the way plus I'm enjoying my testers
Old school high quality strains like White Widow, Cindy99, Haze, etc, were known for their small yields of high quality flowers, those "best of all worlds" examples really are rare, the number of companies that advertise that everything they sell is high potency and high yielding is getting silly.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe it's rough breeding one hippy style for 30-40 years only to have your results surpassed by people with labs and a scientific approach or even just some kid with a closet with a little sts. Imagine spending your whole life slogging along only to find out that the four main terpenes are not grape and strawberry. I mean it could be rough to know your whole lifes work was wasted on the wrong approach. It might be easy to rail on the kid with the closet and a few packs of beans who had the brains to breed some homozygosity into their lines and make spectacular f1's that you could only dream about.
Hey im just sayin if you bred for bouquet for 30 years and stayed away from anything frighteningly potent by default it will probably show in your work. Whats this people getting threatened with lawyers over blueberry? What did i miss ahaha

It's so true!

I don't give a fuk about selling seeds. If i get a planf worthy of being a P1 mother fuker is gona be a P1

CoCoSativas

Old school high quality strains like White Widow, Cindy99, Haze, etc, were known for their small yields of high quality flowers, those "best of all worlds" examples really are rare, the number of companies that advertise that everything they sell is high potency and high yielding is getting silly.

The thing is hemp yields big drug cannabis yields small. It's just how it works and while I find you can coax goof yields with practice, techniques and environments I think if you want a good yield with low yielder strains you have to find if they like topping, lst, maybe it just needs to be vegged big to produce big us I found a slh of mine flowered as a small clone yields the same as one branch on a 30 day vegged clone. Soon if you have a shit yielder maybe consider vegging a cycle while you are flowering the previous. Imagine if the 30 fay veggie yields big imagine vegging it the 9-10 weeks that cut needs. I finish in 9 now the summer heat is over...

Anyway to me a keeper is a dope plant worth growing again. They can be temporary until a better comes unless you have space and want lots of selection.

CoCoSativas

I had to trade half my library of genetics for it, so I wouldn't know.

You had to trade half your library for a single cut? If someone wouldn't take my super lemon haze in a one for one I'd pass. I'd give someone 100 bucks max for any cut. After that I'd laugh someone out of the room. Don't get me wrong I'm a total capitalist but I'm not into greed. I mean if all they had was that and we're like hey would you toss in 3 or 4 of your varieties I'd say ok then I want equal number of gg cuts or you give me some cash.

That's rotten someone wanted so much for one cut. Sure it looks very cool but I'm not willing to go to the ends of the earth for it. If I get it I get it. I'm at the point where I'll struggle for some really interesting stuff a breeder put generations into I'm not working to hard to add to my poly hybrid collection. I already have a great one I'm testing. I'm still certainly interested in the gorilla glue but It's just another cut to me

KiefSweat

Veteran
The thing is hemp yields big drug cannabis yields small.

yields what? from my math an og is only slightly less valuable based on resin yields then what would be considered hemp. Cost of production on your hemp should be cheaper and less regulation to produce thats about it.

browntrout

Veteran

I grew the S1's of GSC and was quite impressed after originally thinking she was an "aesthetics" plant.

Two phenos, one green and indica with a smokey, doughy,earthy smell and taste. The other green and very mild/herbal taste.

I can imagine the clone is really quite nice herb to puff on.

BT

Tom Hill

Veteran
Couldn't Tom Hill be an African instead of an American (Indians are from India)?

Back to the topic, isn't this the same thing Neville did when he sold some IBL strains like Northern lights, Skunk, etc...? By this logic Neville gave them breeders like Sam the good ol' Fuck you.

Yes i always want to be Buttons Kaluhiokalani or Yellowman they are prime examples of transgression in its highest form. And and big fat yes that is exactly what Nevil did lol...

Tom Hill

Veteran
Turns out McPartland was mostly responsible for HD&P where his only contribution on that topic was some rambling on about psycho hemp breeding input my guess is he mo betta stay well clear of this type of judo lol..

purposely breeding the tallest males with the tallest females in a hemp scene ain't much help here lol..

CoCoSativas

yields what? from my math an og is only slightly less valuable based on resin yields then what would be considered hemp. Cost of production on your hemp should be cheaper and less regulation to produce thats about it.

Hemp dominant marijuana yields better than the most potent drug marijuana in most cases.

I don't understand your correlation between ogs and hemp. Ogs are far drug leaning type cannabis, not really that similar. I'm talking stuff like big bud there's a famous big yielder that like subcool points out is crap because it's so hemp dominant. Ever cut those apart they are pretty solid though you take my slh, mandala satori was really hollow, a few ogs I e helped friends trim all pretty hollow.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Gerry Lopez intermission,, Hollow,, full of life.. :p

picture.php

KiefSweat

Veteran
Hemp dominant marijuana yields better than the most potent drug marijuana in most cases.

I don't understand your correlation between ogs and hemp. Ogs are far drug leaning type cannabis, not really that similar. I'm talking stuff like big bud there's a famous big yielder that like subcool points out is crap because it's so hemp dominant. Ever cut those apart they are pretty solid though you take my slh, mandala satori was really hollow, a few ogs I e helped friends trim all pretty hollow.

your valuing it on he raw weight.
Big bud yields say 8% thc ogs can be 3x that amount. When you do the math your big bud may only be getting you $20 more per plant with the actual price you'd charge based on resin weight.
Hemp is a method of cultivation not the genetics besides the cbd stipulation.

I've got afghans that produce straight wood, stem yield for hemp was selected as part of a breeding program as that was the intended end use of the crop.
hemp12.jpg

Fig. 12. Cross sections of stems at internodes of a fiber plant (left) and of a narcotic plant (right). Fiber cultivars have stems that are more hollow at the internodes, i.e. less wood, since this allows more energy to be directed into the production of bark fiber.

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-284.html

Coba

Veteran
Gerry Lopez riding the lightning bolt is a Classic.
here's Joel Tudor hanging em in the curl.
Joel-Tudor-noseride1.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts