What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how many generations til a strain becomes yours

yocs

I've been working with Dutch passions blueberry for alitte bit. I started with regular seeds and an curtly on f4. Selecting the best male and female from each batch breeding them together. Should I always consider these Dutch passion blueberry or at some point does it become my own? Not that I'm ever going to make any money off these. Im in a none med state and grow for my own enjoyment.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
How many generation until the land under your feet is yours? It's your selection of blueberry, until you pass it on or let the seeds die. Pics please. :lurk:

Big-Narstie

There yours as soon as you paid for em but you must always state who worked the genetics before you.. Did DP get their BB from DJ originally?? Probably never mentioned it themselves lol disrespectful mofo's! U could always Change the name and claim ownership?? Oops cats already out the bag lol

The Revolution

Veteran
I would say if you created a hybriding using dutch Passions Blueberry.. Like Dabney Blu x DP Blueberry, and than inbred in a few gens you could call it your own. If you too DP BB and inbred it four gens it would just be called DP Blueberry F4, but I suppose you could technically call it whatever floats your boat.. If you're some kinda control freak, or like to mislead ppl you could call it Yocs Orange Duck Sauce if you're so inclined..

CoCoSativas

It depends. Dr atomic worked his nl selection a long time before calling it atomic northern lights.

They will be blueberry until you cross them. Then feel free to name them something else. Until then blueberry is fair, or if you feel like you have been at it long enough call it "*****" blueberry or whatever.

Keep working something long enough until it's distinct from its parent stick. Then it's yours. If it still closely resembles dp blueberry well its still dp BB just a later generation

CoCoSativas

I would say if you created a hybriding using dutch Passions Blueberry.. Like Dabney Blu x DP Blueberry, and than inbred in a few gens you could call it your own. If you too DP BB and inbred it four gens it would just be called DP Blueberry F4, but I suppose you could technically call it whatever floats your boat.. If you're some kinda control freak, or like to mislead ppl you could call it Yocs Orange Duck Sauce if you're so inclined..

Yocs duck says should be a Chinese duck sauce that sounds sketchy but brilliant

Genghis Kush

if your not making money of it you can call it what you want.

considering all the work that DJ put into making Blueberry it may be dishonest to tell people its your work after a few generations of selection.

I would say its your selection not your strain.

yocsblueberry

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
How's the smell/taste?

picture.php

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Once the strain is somehow changed or improved. In a predictable product is created. Until then you are simply copying or mocking the original.

kaneboy

There yours and they sound fantastic ,it seems a lot of breeders just see some strain they like and cross the hell out of it with there own strains and come up with a new name and have rights to it so you go for it man

yocs

thanks guys I appreciate all your opinions. Still need to get a camera other than my phone and get this picture thing figured out. But my main thing was that I hated how when i popped the dp reg seeds all my females were always different with the occasional mutant. I've been tryin to select the largest male and female from each batch and cross to each other. Basically going for more of a sativa I guess. They actually smell more like grape early on then juicy fruit gum before the chop. I. Actually really happy with the juicy fruit smell because I remember reading some where that DJ used a strain making the original that smelled like that and I'm pretty sure DP work with DJ way back.

browntrout

Veteran
For simplicity's sake call Dutch Passion Blueberry. There is so many re-named strains out there it's ridiculous, we should all make an effort to include the origin names even when breeding plants and creating new hybrids.

After F4 gen I would deem it acceptable to drop the DP for DP Blueberry, not to rename it something other than blueberry.

BT

SpaceBros.

I personally believe that no-one owns any strain, no matter how much time, effort and work went in to creating it. For example DJ Short never gives any specific mention to the people who bred the Thai, Oaxacan and Afghani lines that went into creating the famed Blueberry. Furthermore when a person sells you seeds there are general no conditions given at the point of sale. It then stands to reason that it's fair-game to use their seeds for whatever purpose you have in mind including breeding projects. Yes my views may be in contradiction with current laws. But these are the same laws that make the rich richer, make the poor poorer and create a majority hard-working poor to middle class too.

As for naming strains themselves we have trademark laws. Ever wonder why Dutch Passion are the only seed-bank to have a strain officially named "Durban Poison"? Once again not a huge fan but I can see how it can be confusing for consumers to have two differing products with the exact same name.

Also on a more personal level I agree with BT that there are too many similar strain names out there and that one should acknowledge where you obtained your lines from and obviously give credit where it is due especially if a line has been worked extensively. I guess it more about morality for me and doing your own thing and not biting others rather than the legal side of things.

As for Yocs I feel F4 is more than worked enough to be considered yours and also that "Yocs Blueberry" or even something like "Blu-berriez" is fresh enough in terms of unique naming. You should however be nice and kind to DP and say inbreed for four generations using seed stock obtained from DP Blueberry circa 2012?(or whenever) in your strain description.

Last edited:

SpaceBros.

if your not making money of it you can call it what you want.

considering all the work that DJ put into making Blueberry it may be dishonest to tell people its your work after a few generations of selection.

I would say its your selection not your strain.

yocsblueberry

Sorry I have to disagree here. Firstly Yocs was using DP Blueberry which was sold under license/agreement by DJ Short. He is under no obligations to mention DJ short at all.

The person purchasing Yocs BB can do their own research to find out the where the strain originally came from. All Yocs should do morally is say "inbreed for four generations using DP BB".

Secondly plant breeding is more fun and hobby then "hard-work" per se. It's not like DJ's doing anything special that others can't do given the opportunity. Or was he lugging 50L of water 10km to a remote location daily to do all his breeding work? And crunching complex breeding algorithms 8hrs per day as well as doing 1000's of trial and error progeny tests over a decade and over 10,000 cannabinoid and terpene profile tests. Right? One just has to look at the plethora or breeders on the scene today to see how easy it is to breed cannabis.

Finally, One must consider that DP Blueberry may not even be considered in the non-cannabis world to be a unique strain or cultivar due to it's variability and instability. Maybe Yocs was able to stabilize it and now it's really his strain.

Last edited:

SpaceBros.

There yours as soon as you paid for em but you must always state who worked the genetics before you.. Did DP get their BB from DJ originally?? Probably never mentioned it themselves lol disrespectful mofo's! U could always Change the name and claim ownership?? Oops cats already out the bag lol

I'm pretty sure (although not 100%) that DJ Short sold his Blueberry strain to DP under some kind of license or agreement. Some say DP overused the strain according to the agreement and that DJ is more than a little peeved about this and rightfully so if that's the case. But if it weren't for DP the world wouldn't know BB as we do today.

Genghis Kush

I kinda miss the old days before strains had all these names.

often it ends up being a big ego game.

no one owns anything. its not possible.

the universe is in constant flux

Last edited:

Coba

Veteran
4 generations. At least that's what I have gathered from reading breeder's notes.

iirc DJ Short writes about how it takes 4 generations for a plant variety to become acclimated to it's environment.

Rez's IBL's are supposedly 4 generations deep.

Because there is such legal issues with Cannabis, nobody can own a variety really. Including DJ, Shanti, Neville etc. That's probably why someone tried to copyright the name chemdog. And, we all should know the U.S. gov. owns the patent on the chemicals in ganja.

It's sad too because, in the commercial plant world, newly discovered wild plants, first generation one-offs, and even cuttings from someone else's garden are often patented and legally owned for up to 25 years.