What's new

PC Case Growers Club

G

so then dont run the psu, daisy chain the light to one plug, do the same with the fans and theres a major difference right there, and if you house all your cords in the pc on a power strip then you still only have one cord coming out of the back

alih92

No what do the cfl bulb plug into? Also how do i wire pc fans and what do i wire them to? Can i have more than one air stone to one air pumP? Is perlite and coco coir reusable?

Last edited:

clorox

Smokin on that serious...
Respect said:
omgoodness are you in for a treat...growing in anything but water is a hassle for sure....the Dirt drives me insane...its Dirty by name hahaha

oh, id love to give it a try, but theres no supply stores around here for growing hydroponically

Mr Ballyhoo

Hey if you are looking for power solutions on the fans you can go the route I did and get a DC to Molex converter. You can pick them up fairly cheap at jab-tech http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3776 I basically daisy chained two fans and then splice the power line on going to the two front ones. It's working really well and it helps on space, cause lets face it those power supplies are just way too big to only be powering a couple pc fans...

Happy Growing!!!

Ballyhoo

Mr_Micro

alih92 said:
No what do the cfl bulb plug into? Also how do i wire pc fans and what do i wire them to? Can i have more than one air stone to one air pumP? Is perlite and coco coir reusable?

I'll try to help you out with this one :smoke:

1. You want to buy the screw in type CFL bulbs. These bulbs have the ballast built right into the bulb so you can screw them into any standard light socket. So you can just go to your local hardware store and buy a light bulb socket that has a two prong cord running out the back. They might be advertised as shop light or utility light fixtures, but they're simply just a light bulb socket with a two prong power cord running out the back. Most of them are rated for 200 or 300 watts, so no worries screwing any size CFL into them.

2. Wiring PC fans is quite easy! All you need is a 12v DC adapter and a either some wire nuts or heat shrink wire connectors. I prefer heatshrink connectors sense they seem to be more secure and pose less risk of a fire hazard, but most people use wire nuts with no problem. Basicly all you have to do is snip the end off of the cord from the 12v DC adapter, strip about 1/4" of the plastic casing around the black & white wires off so you have the wiring inside exposed, and then use your heatshrink or wire nuts to connect the black wire from the adapter to the black wire of the fan and connect the red wire from the fan to the white wire of the 12v DC adapter. Somtimes PC fans will have a yellow wire too, but this wire is just to allow the computer to control the speed of the fan and since we're not connecting it to a computer you can just snip the yellow wire off and just use the red and black wires.
After that simply plug the 12v DC adapter into a power strip and voila! Instant fans!
On a side note, you can buy 12v DC adapters from Radio Shack for around $14 each, or if you have any old cell phone chargers laying around you could use them instead since they are usually 12v DC (always check first though before you go wiring em up).

3. Yes you can! All you need is a little splitter for the main tube coming out of the air pump (you can buy these splitters at any aquarium supply store, pet store, or hydro shop) and you can connect several airstones to a single pump. Even the smallest of air pumps can handle 3 of the small drum shaped airstones at a time, or for convenience purposes you could always use a single 6" airstone instead of multiple little ones. These large airstones are available at all hyrdoponic growing shops.

4. As far as perlite and coco being reusuable... I believe they are both reuseable for up to 2 or 3 grows, but for how little they cost and what a PITA it is trying to wash them I'd say your better off just using fresh growing medium for each new grow. Besides, since your doing a small PC case grow it's going to take you years to go through a single bag of coco choir or pelite anyway! So give your plants the best and give em fresh stuff every time, because your using such a small ammount for each grow that its going to take you a very long time to go through a bag of growing medium anyway.

Hope those answers helped and feel free to let us know if you have any more questions! :smoke:

alih92

Thanks for the very detailed information, Mr Micro oh and i wondering are you going to do a hydro grow in your nanomachine and if so what kind of medium are you going to use? What do you guys think about this unit http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007053014445324&item=15-1180&catname=electric and these fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106100. How many fans can be wired to that unit?

Do you recommend trading seeds with other people in the usa thru the mail?
Oh and if i buy fem seeds how can i turn the plants in to males to harvest more seeds?

Last edited:
G

the dc adapter is good but on the same site as the current fan you can get one for like 2 dollars

edit: and mr micro is running soil, he as no room for a res

G

the fans, not the adapters

fans on there for like a dollar or 2

adapter- 5 bucks is a good price

alih92

well i like that fan because its quiet 16 dba and moves 60 cfm plus im a producer so my setups have to be quiet you cant record and have 50 dba fans running at the same time also the fan is made by thermaltake.
And someone please tell how would i wire more than 1 fan to this unit. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...atname=electric

Do you recommend trading seeds with other people in the usa thru the mail?
Oh and if i buy fem seeds how can i turn the plants in to males to harvest more seeds? I wanna trade for some seeds.

Lastly how can i turn female seeds into male seeds. Hermies are ok but is there any way i can turn them into pure males.

Mr_Micro

rkrone said:
mr micro is running soil, he as no room for a res

Indeed! There was just no way to fit a decent enough size tub for a SWC grow in my new Nanomachine. My rule of thumb has pretty much become that if the res is less than 3/4 of a gallon you'll have waaaay too much PH fluctuation to be able to pull off a hydro grow in it. Even with a 1 gallon res I was still having to re-balance the PH every single day regardless of the type of water I used.

But as Rkone said, I'm gonna be doing my first soil grow this time around. Since I have never done a real soil grow before I wanted to keep it simple so I spent about 10 or 12 hours reading every bit of info I could find on soil growing and mixes and I came up with what I think will be a really simple and effective soil growing plan.

My mix is composed of 3/4 Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and 1/4 Perlite with 1 tablespoon of Dolmetic Lime per gallon of soil. Also, the planters all have a 1/4" to 1/2" thick layer of small aquarium gravel at the bottom to promote good drainage.
From all the results I've seen from other people this seems to be a very simple and yet extremely effective mix for container growing.

For fertilizing I will be sticking with my tried and true Pureblend Pro. I plan to water with straight tap water PH balanced to 6.5 (with Earthjuice Natural PH balancers) for the first two or three weeks or until the bottom set of leaves begin to turn a little yellow from a nitrogen deffiency. At that point I'll know that the Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil as expended it's built in nutrient supply and from there on out the only thing I will be feeding the plants are PBP Bloom Soil Formula every 2 or 3 waterings at the recommended dosage. I'll also be adding a tablespoon of good organic blackstrap molasses per gallon of the fertilized water during the last 4 or 5 weeks of flowering, since molasses seems to be the main ingredient in almost all effective commercial bloom boosters. But that will really be my only nutrient supplements... a little PBP Bloom and a molasses every few waterings and thats it my friends.

So yeah, thats pretty much my plan for a simple and yet highly effective soil grow. It'll be about 99% organic, since Pureblend Pro is like 98% organic... and as much as I would like to do a fully organic grow, I know and trust PBP for my nutrient needs so thats what I'm gonna stick with for now :smoke:

o O (Wow... I can really babble way too much somtimes :biglaugh: ) O o

alih92

Wow i guess ill switch to a soil grow too since im growing in a pc. Do you recommend trading seeds with other people in the usa thru the mail?
Oh and if i buy fem seeds how can i turn the plants in to males to harvest more seeds? I wanna trade for some seeds.

Lastly how can i turn female seeds into male seeds. Hermies are ok but is there any way i can turn them into pure males.

G

trading seeds is your call ,but be aware it is illegal to posses them, and always have a safe addy that can in no way be linked to your grow....and dont get fem seeds, that way you will get males to get pollen from to make seeds.

and if your brand new to growing...which it is apparent you are...you might want to just grow a few times before you start worrying about breeding seeds.

alih92

Do you live in the usa? Also if i do get a po box can i use my real name? Where is a po box located and how do i get mail from it?

Last edited:
Is It Crazy To Think 2oz. might be able to be grown in a computer case ?

Is It Crazy To Think 2oz. might be able to be grown in a computer case ?

well gettin in here late but my setup is a lil somthin like this , we got an big ass old school pc case measures 27"tall x 16" deep x 8.5" wide, the current lighting array is 2 x 42watt warm whites and 2 x 26 watt 6500k for a total of 136 watts of cfl light. was thinking about throwing a 100 watt hps and glass heat shield in there, plus any 6400k cfl i can get away with(hopefully the 2 i got, if not to hot with the 100 w hps). for plant medium we got some 1 gallon square pots, with soil. one has original blueberrie, the other has a blueberrie cross my friend dubbed BB mini.

so do you folks think a 100 watt hps is too much for that case? i think it is possible with remote ballast and heat shield . my basis is that people on here got 70 watt hps in cases close to the size of mine.

Now the question i have for any one and my self included is it possible to grow 1/8th of a Pound (2oz.) dry in a PC in one harvest? no doubt in my head 1oz. can be done(maybe not on first scrog attempt). well when my study has been completed i will get back to you all on whether or not 2oz is possible

Last edited:

Lemon

My old PC grow - 105 watt cfl... Ill tell the story via pictures :)

(I apollogize to non dsl users in advance)

insidecompbk0.jpg

all1sr7.jpg

purpesinglelf3.jpg

d25allxc3.jpg

d29topno1.jpg

35flowermx3.jpg

39caseco7.jpg

d44aboveiw8.jpg

onegz2.jpg

sunsnowul1.jpg

harvtableto5.jpg

bdommmmelf4.jpg