Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Best thing I EVER added to my res...

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Best thing I EVER added to my res... Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2013, 05:04 PM #21
SeaMaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep goin View Post
Hey...here is a link to the replacement bio bag part for the filter I'm running. https://https://www.tetra-fish.com/sit...l.aspx?id=4220

If I can run without the carbon...so be it. But so far so good, right out of the box.

The results are sick...highly recommended!

Yeah CrusaderR hangs right over the side...the bottom of the filter has a submersible pump within it. As long as you keep that underwater you're good. You have the option of hanging over the edge, which I'm doing in my 25 gal res. Or you can remove the hook and replace it with a second suction cup...that's the set up I'm using in my EZ cloner.

Good Luck
KG
Wait a minute... are you using a hang-on-tank box filter? Is that *it*??

The link no worky.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM #22
SeaMaiden

K, wtf is going on with the site now?? It shows I've posted, but hell if I can find the post.

Keep, the link no worky. Is it to show a hang-on-tank power filter? If so, that's it, that's what you're using? If so, there are LOTS of tweaks that can be made here, lots. Especially if you were to switch over to a canister filter, like an Eheim (the founder of Eheim just passed away at the age of 93!) or Fluval packed with media. Much more configurable, by far.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:07 AM #23
Keep goin

Keep goin will become famous soon enoughKeep goin will become famous soon enough
b8man...you add a filter and I'll tell you it looks like I can drink my res...should work great with blumats, crystal clean.

Yeah CrusaderR...no prob, I would bet adding a float valve auto top up would solve the problem. Not sure about the waterfall effect, the thing seems to work well right up to the rim of the filter, or as it drops down. I think the movement through the filter is the key...that gives you the approximately 6 inches of the filter housing to play with as far as water level drop before the pump at the bottom would be exposed. And like all water pumps...it wouldn't like to run dry. Hope that helps.

SeaMaiden...yeah that's it!! Just a simple hang on the back of your fish tank filter!! Not sure why the links not working...just search tetra fish...you'll see it the Whisper series with bio-bag.
Please explain further...more configurable? Lots of tweaks?

This seems to be working like a charm...simple, cheap, easy.
But I'm listening...always looking for more info...Thx.

I'm gonna search the items you mentioned...but so far so good with these 20 dollar jobs...right out of the box.

KG
Keep goin is offline Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 PM #24
SeaMaiden

The key to good DO levels in any body of water is turbulence at the surface. It is at the water's surface where the CO2/O2 exchange occurs. Create lots of turbulence, and you've got fantastic gas exchange occurring.

K, Whisper HOT filter w/bio-bag. Jesus, how simple could it be? Oh my God, do you know how configurable this solution is? For one thing--pantyhose. You can basically make your own filter cartridge. Go with a canister filter and you can pack it with whatever you want, and would be able to separate the carbon from the biological media quite easily.

Considering you're running it in a reservoir, my bet is that the carbon becomes saturated very quickly, within a week easily, and from that point on it's nothing but the nitrifiers working. That's my suss on it.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:44 PM #25
Crusader Rabbit

Crusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant future
I have small pumps or propeller driven power-heads generating a constant flow across the water surface. Seems to make a big difference, and it helps mix nutrients. I like the idea of having some media though to promote a bio-film of aerobic bacteria. I'm curious about the nitrifying bacteria here.

If I have a fish or turtle tank I'm feeding them food and their excreta is filling the water with nitrogen heavy nutrients. Those bacteria in the filter media are consuming the nutrients that would otherwise feed the algae that turn my water into green pea soup. In a reservoir would these same bacteria remove nutrients intended for the plants? What am I missing here?

Of course, unless the reservoir's chilled then something is going to grow in there. Are the bacteria in the filter media biofilm that much more helpful than the aerobic bacteria in a surface agitated reservoir? Inquiring minds want to know.
Crusader Rabbit is offline Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 PM #26
Crusader Rabbit

Crusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant future
Damned server is still trying to trick me into double posting. Curious if my last post shows up before or after this one.

Here's a link to an assortment of media bags.

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=13961
Crusader Rabbit is offline Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 AM #27
Keep goin

Keep goin will become famous soon enoughKeep goin will become famous soon enough
Yeah guys...thanks for the info. The bottom line, not sure why it works so well...the technical details, etc. But let me tell ya...holy shit!!

I'm now entering the 6th week of flowering. Deep, dark color...super bud development. Strength of plants is obvious, EC is stable and easy to manage. Other than the overall health, I have noticed nothing else...certainly nothing negative as a result of using these filters. I now have them in all 3 of my res, plus my EZ cloner...never seen better results in there either, nubs in 2 days! bursting roots in 4!!!. And that was in water I was not getting results in...just put the filter in rather than changing it out (lazy) didn't really "need" the cuts just put em in...blowing up. It's crazy!!

I will try to see about eliminating the carbon...trying some other items ie: bio balls, lava rocks, etc. But honestly I don't notice anything negative about just using the filter as it came in the box.

SeaMaiden I searched those canister filters and Eihem products in particular. Look interesting, but what what what...$129 or more...um no! These are $20 for the 10-30 gal version $11 for the 2-10 gal version (which I put in my cloner) They even have a 1-5 gal version which I'm planning on putting in a 5 gal stand alone DWC bubbler bucket.

I think I'm in love....give em a try!! Cheap, easy, readily available...go go go.

Good Luck All
KG
Keep goin is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 AM #28
guerilllataktic

guerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFlora View Post
Best thing I ever added was switching from various name brand nutrients to Hydroponic-Research VEG+BLOOM

It is totally complete, AND, pH stable
i will second that, h-r veg+bloom is amazing stuff and i would like to note sensizyme is great also
guerilllataktic is offline Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 AM #29
guerilllataktic

guerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the roughguerilllataktic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep goin View Post
So, I've recently tried adding a fish tank filter to my 25 gal hydro res.

Holy crap...the results are amazing!!

I have never seen such a clean res, or such healthy plants!

I have for years run no dump res and experimented with all sorts of different combos of products. Some worked some didn't. By the end...or even the middle of the run I would get some slime building up on my air lines and pump lines. Always made it through though, then would just scrub everything out. No problem.

Now I have added a simple, cheap fish tank filter (tetra) right from wally world. Bio bag filter...which you replace monthly (cheap, couple of bucks )...which harbors/ cultivates beneficial bacteria, and a simple mesh filter which can be washed out.

I'm running GH 3 part, keeping an eye on my EC, that's it. Looks like I could drink my solution, just slightly tinted color. Gorgeous results. I have been foliar feeding with Flourolicous Plus and a carbo product. The plants look incredible!!

I have yet to see it all the way through...I'm currently 4 weeks into 8.5 or 9. (just in the wanting of disclosure) But so far so very good. (And I've seen enough to have a handle on what's happening, and how it will turn out!!)

Just wanted to share...I'm always trying to help others out, and like the thread title says this is the best thing I've ever seen. I added the 10-30 gal version to my one res...they even have a 2-10 gal version which I put into my EZ cloner...all very promising!! I currently have plans to add one to each of my reservoirs. I'm even thinking that the 2-10 gal one would work great in a "side show" 5 gal DWC.

So far the only "bad" thing I have even remotely noticed is the need of a touch more of the "green" bottle (couple of extra mL per gal) That's it!

Let me know if anyone knows of any reason not to use fish filters in hydro...otherwise everyone should add one tomorrow!! It's incredible!

Good Luck all

KG View Image

this idea is ingenous, i am going to try this when i do rdwc run, i have been banging out coco kiss style veg bloom. I bet it would help with clogged blumats and dripers quite well.
guerilllataktic is offline Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 AM #30
noyd666

like this keep going?, its a fluval 4 plus.