What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hempy Bucket STYLE!!!

about 12 - 13 inches is where that was at so i suppose im perfect.

I notice this light is running much warmer than the 150. Any reccomendations on keeping temps down. Dont wanna upgrade brand new inline fan, .... I put another small 8" fan right next to the hood you can see and i have it coolingoff. Idk if this is right though. Any suggestion be awesome....

I dropped the t5 for now and just using the 32w bulb for clone. When should i go back to the t5?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What i suggest is get the ballast (transformer ) out of the grow room , its called remoting the ballast . basicly you take the fixture apart & run a cord from the ballast to the bulb & socket into the closet . that ballast puts off alot of heat .

heres a how to ....... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=600399

someotherguy

Veteran
yeah man, i agree with dansbuds that remoting that ballast is definately the way to go, ...unfortunately, that link he shared will be of limited value as it is documenting the conversion of a CFL fixture so the only part you can benefit from is the construction of the DIY reflector.

below are links to a couple of threads you should also read and, if you read them all, you should have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done, ...then, if you still have questions, one of us can walk you through the actual wiring up, it really isn't all that difficult. ...it's important to get this right though so read them thoroughly until you feel like you understand what's needed.

this first details the conversion of a light more like a streetlight but regardless of the style of fixture, all will have the same components inside, a big coil or transformer, a capacitor and an igniter, ...these get wired together so that the socket is at one end and the power cord is at the other, no big whoop, lol.

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36344&highlight=remote"]converting a home security light into a remote ballast grow light (the OG FAQ) [/URL]

...and here is the thread that i followed to remote my twin 150s, they were both this same exact fixture so it was easy for me to follow and while this documents the conversion of a 150 and not a 250, the wiring is the same.

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99240&highlight=remote"]How To Remote Ballast a 150W HPS Vapor Tight Light[/URL]

like i've already said matt, wiring up a ballast isn't all that difficult, maybe the most difficult part is finding something to mount the ballast components into, ...if the parts are small enough you may be able to get away with a double outlet junction box like i used for my twin 150s and if that won't work then either a cheap metal toolbox or an ammo box (available at Army/Navy surplus stores) will do the trick, ...actually, the best thing to use if you can find one is the power supply box inside an old ATX pc case as it will already be vented AND the power cord will already be in place so all you'll need to do is gut it and replace the parts you remove with the new parts.

anyway, now you have some homework grasshopper, ...so get to studyin' my young padawan, lol.

peace, SOG

lol sog ive been on my game buddy. I read over those threads earlier today. Didnt think i was gonna go ahead and do it but im thinking its a must. Dont really have money or supplies to make a reflector for it though. Might have to just drop it in vertical.

Anyways after my readings i asked this on another thread but i will ask my guru too. I am gonna keep everything in the same box. It came with a glass cover that everything can be enclosed in. And this thing was built to have everything in it so i know it wont get to hot. So this should be ease. I go get a 25 ft extension cord tomorrow. Cut a 8 ft piece from male end. Use the male end and wire to the black abd white Positive and neutral wires from ballast.

Where does ground go. To somewhere metal inside the box or to the wire that im going to be extending the bulb with? So what i think is basically the ground goes from all way from wall to somewhere metal near end of the bulb. RIGHT? no stops or wiring thru.

Now i know i can do next part either 2 ways. Make it where bulb cord is dettachable . like ones in grow store. Or wired straight to ballast. Im gonna cut a piece of 3wire ext cord maybe 5 ft long attach positive and neutral where bulb wires come off the ballast and attach the ground to the ground i made coming in from power right?

If thats it i think i got it. As long as i dont have diffuse the capacitor or anything. LIke i said i wanna make it as simple as possible. I will be sitting the ballast on floor outside the closet. Thanks guys

someotherguy

Veteran
high man, here is a thread documenting my budbox build, ...it's been some years since i wrote this so i don't know where the wiring info is so you'll need to read it but when you do you'll see i used standard, heavy duty extension cords for the wires and standard, heavy duty plugs and sockets to remote the bulb from the ballast, ...as this was a modification of existing fixtures, it didn't come with the connectors and i wasn't gonna try and find ballast socket and plug sets.

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=131157"]justanother stealth, DIY, 2x 150 HPS bud box, ...bozo style![/URL]

...and don't be put off by my other psuedonym, i had a security scare a few years ago and i was forced to reinvent myself but i've now moved twice and changed my phone number 3 times so there is no longer any risk associated with that name, unfortunately, because this was written some time ago, i no longer have easy access to the pics, ...which is why i'm pointing you at the thread, lol.

peace, SOG

btw, after you read that thread, if you still have questions regarding the wiring, especially the grounding, just let me know and i'll help you figure it out.

okay i saw in one of those threads he said ground each one to metal. cant i just connect them to each other? that is the two grounds coming in from power and socket?? I think i saw in ur pictures u had them connected directly. And you had them screwed down to the metal? Where is a good spot to run my ground at the bulb if i have no reflector?

Does it matter how long my socket cord is. Like i said ballast is gonna be on floor so its gonna need to be at least 6 or 7' long i would think.

someotherguy

Veteran
okay i saw in one of those threads he said ground each one to metal. cant i just connect them to each other? that is the two grounds coming in from power and socket?? I think i saw in ur pictures u had them connected directly. And you had them screwed down to the metal?

read that thread i just linked you to, there you will find much more details than any i've already posted, ...i meant it when i said i didn't have easy access to my old pictures and i didn't realize how many were stored away until i took a look in that thread myself.

...it isn't really relevant but if you look through my older threads under that name you can see my own personal journey as i evolve into the grower i have become, ...you will also see that my buildouts are all VERY detailed, i take an assload of pics for my builds and i post up most of them, ...i think there is 100 pics in my clonebox build for example.

...my motherbox buildout even made the DIY link-o-rama, lol.

peace, SOG

btw, grounding the fixture is a safety feature that is very simple to include, ...and yeah, basically it's just tieing the metal parts together with the green ground wire from the metal fixture all the way to the ground wire at the wall outlet, you just make sure you connect the ground to any plugs and sockets you wire in so that there is a continuous connection.

last ? i promise. So if it is one contionous wire does it still need to touch metal inside the box as well as at the end of the bulb? I just want be safe bro. i AM def planning on doing this tomorrow.

Does anybody have a DIY for a cheap reflector or hood. I still have the shiny material from original hood so im sure i could use this just not sure how to mount the mogul. Or if these are not an option could i just drop the bulb in vertical?

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah man, i agree with dansbuds that remoting that ballast is definately the way to go, ...unfortunately, that link he shared will be of limited value as it is documenting the conversion of a CFL fixture so the only part you can benefit from is the construction of the DIY reflector.
OOps my bad , was stoned when lookin at links :) thanx for pointing him in the right direction SOG .

a reflector is easy , go to the super market & pick up a foil pan any size you like . :) some pipe strapping will work for making a bracket for the socket .

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=sduaT77wKOjm0QH1ytDcCQ&ved=0CIEBEPICMAE

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=s...5.0.56877.38.31.0.13.13.3.154.2049.1j15.18.0.

good luck brother

someotherguy

Veteran
you gotta get creative man, ...find something in your world you already own or start thinking outside the box.

...shit man, why not just use the fixture it came in? ...just remote the ballast outside the grow space and keep the bulb and socket inside the otherwise empty fixture, ...that way you won't need to DIY a reflector, ...all you'll need to do is mount the ballast into some other case, ...maybe something that's already been suggested perhaps.

...and in the future, coming up with something to reflect light shouldn't be hard to figure out.

peace, SOG

picture.php

picture.php

im in the works right now man .. will have it done in an hour or so. think i got a nice lil homemade reflector. I guess im looking for shit to be too easy and just fall in my lap. Im starting to get creative.

Is this wired right. One screw is silver and one iz bronze. io have the white going to silver and black to bronze right??

and heres mmy ground

Well Here it is. I feel a hell of alot smarter after reading these forums and doing this project. It is a success!!! Plugged her in and she fired right up. No problems with the ignitor at this point.

Heres few pics
picture.php

ground for power
picture.php

ground for the socket
picture.php

picture.php

I have the ballast sitting right outside closet next to the door. Trying the two in tandem again. Still hot. Looks like im gonna have remote the 150 sunsystem. And that whole socket no longer than 2 ft sucks. Bc i dont wanna have buy another ignitor. I see why you dont make changes to the enviroment in middle of a grow. Live and u learn. at least i got more watts!!
picture.php

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Knew ya could do it brother ....:good::good:

that standard ingnitor says its good to 3 feet , but i've extended leads to 15 feet without problems .

Knew ya could do it brother ....:good::good:

that standard ingnitor says its good to 3 feet , but i've extended leads to 15 feet without problems .

Thanks Bro. Yea im just worried i dont want any shorts or fires. What i think i will do is keep the socket and the ignitor inside the 150 sunsystem hood and take everything else and put it in a project box and mount to a board. Then the ignitor would still be right next to the bulb and hood would be bad ass! Im getting those creative juices going now. This bud lately man has been the stoned relaxed stuff while i have not been gettin the get u goin paintin on the walls shit.LOl i now im gonna like not paying 120 a week for a quarter oz.
a better shot of the finished product

Temps inside my room are actually Good. A little bit higher than just the 150 but i put the small Honeywell fan on the floor blowing straight up in between the two hoods. This seems to help. they are getting bushy as a mofo. Should i start pluckin fans or do i have enough liught to leave everyone be. I have only plucked the 2 Mgirl larger plants so far. So the 3 genetic ones i left alone, only picking the bottom fan when i took cuts. I noticed a bunch of white appear on one of the MGIRL . She is white. awesome. Need to get a better cam but cell is gonna have work for now

so i was doing some looking and watering at the plants and i notice the first flowers and they are not female..:( now i fimmed both of the MGIRLS. One was successful (MGIRL2) and one was not(MGIRL1) would this unsuccesful fim make these male flowers or should i expect the whole flower to be male. Bummer if its a male.

Mgirl1

MGIRL2

Thermometer placement??

Thermometer placement??

So where does everybody place there thermometers. I kno im supposed to have more than one but thats all i have for now. I've noticed since iput the 250 In im not really gettin an accurate reading because its in direct light. when i put it around the canopy the light hits it directly heats the plastic up and im getting a false reading. If i put it down at bucket level or above the lights my temp readings are great. So i looked around for some answers and just got a cpl general answers. Whats the general consensus on where to get a true reading??
So i checked on plants this a.m. and it looks like MGIRL1 the one i had originally done side by side with is a MALE> The first flower showed, now the top 1/3 of the plant is showing lil balls coming out the nodes. I gonna wait one more day to be extra sure then off with it's head!! This other MGIRL shows no signs of male yet. And the 3 feminized plants are showing white hairs coming out of the top. so it looks like they are female.

someotherguy

Veteran
you're talkin' to the wrong people dude.

...responding to trolls in ANY way only encourages them.

You should never fim in flower. Best fim in veg. I don't see any PM issues either. You sure they're male? Can you see ANY white hairs anywhere on the girls?
GM1

so he is def male and this is exactly what i thought of him

im looking at it as a positive now ive got tons of room for these four babies to branch out. I put the fan right in middle of everybody. I was lookin at a few scrog grows and found the shelf i had started the seedlings out and was wondering if this would be suitable to scrog the two plants in the back as they stretch?