What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai's Blooper Reel

thailer

i stayed up really late transplanting clones and watering plants. i've been debating on up potting the cheese dog. when i went to TP they didn't have well developed rootballs on the first three so i just stopped. they've been inside now for a few days and the top of the soil is drying out. i'd put straw on there except theres not a lot of room. i'm gonna try but i might use plastic because they're in 3 gallon fabric pots. it's not ideal but should be good enough to select a keeper.

i'm pretty sure they will all fit in the bloom room but i'm not sure how much they will stretch. hoping for the best!

Theres a cannabis club in portland i've been wanting to check out that is having a Flavor Cup this sunday. There's a Tasting Club that meets once a month there and they're putting on a cup. i realize that they're all a group and friends so i don't know if i'll even win anything. all it costs is a half ounce of bud, i'll get to sample a bunch of different types of bud and meet other growers. plus i can compare my bud to other growers which is really what i'd like to do since all i have now to compare is a couple friends :dance013: and legal weed which is a real disapointment.

thailer

So tonight was pretty fun!! there was 11 entries for bud and i think about 20 over all the catagories. i won best flower and best overall. orange cream is a fan fav. got a bunch of seeds i'm not interested in but i got a cool pipe and a reclaim rig by ZOB. everyone was really nice and friendly. i got to compare my bud to other growers and i am very satisfied with my buds. i can't smell a lot of flowers people give me and they all taste the same. i got stoned as fuck but i couldn't pick because there was no variance in taste. one was kinda lemony but most were like smoking wood or grass.

nickman

Veteran
So tonight was pretty fun!! there was 11 entries for bud and i think about 20 over all the catagories. i won best flower and best overall. orange cream is a fan fav. got a bunch of seeds i'm not interested in but i got a cool pipe and a reclaim rig by ZOB. everyone was really nice and friendly. i got to compare my bud to other growers and i am very satisfied with my buds. i can't smell a lot of flowers people give me and they all taste the same. i got stoned as fuck but i couldn't pick because there was no variance in taste. one was kinda lemony but most were like smoking wood or grass.

Yeah, congratulations on the two wins. Those are probably the best two to win in my book.....

I’d love to be able to try other growers buds. Compare with my shit. Where I’m from, I don’t know any other growers. I pretty much keep to myself anyway...

thailer

Thanks Moses and nickman!! yeah where i live even though it's legal, there's no where to smoke besides a private residence and when they closed the medical farmers markets, i lost access to meeting others. So if i want a mutual place to meetup with someone but i don't want to bring them to my house, i thought the cannabis club would be great. the inside of the building has got this old speak easy knock three times and ask for gandalf kind of vibe. It was an old gentlemens strip club but theres lots of dark old wood accents to the interior like your grandma was probably a stripper in those days. :laughing:

they're going to hold a couple cups and then theres the ultimate cup where all the winners will come and compete against each other. I need to find out when that is so i can have something ready. i think fruit/food type flavors that are easy to identify would be the easiest to win with.

thailer

trimmed some mac1 the other day.

the cheesedog are two weeks in bloom since july 4th. i chopped the two males i chose back so they can have a garbage can used for light dep. the hours for bloom are basically about to start here but i want them to have a head start.

i took down the two tranquil elephantizers and they ended up not looking like anything worth keeping. one smells like bubblegum. mostly took them a little early so i can have more room for the cheesedogs.

i got a text from my old boss the other day like 8 months since we last talked when he came over and helped me build a big grow room. i worked on his cannabis farm for a few weeks before i decided the pay sucked. anyways, i was telling them about my life and how i need money but don't have a way to make good money. they confided in me about how they're paying for the farm by growing black market pot. they told me i could convert my garage and produce for them. they offered to pay for the whole conversion and said i could pay them back. told them i couldn't because the house could get seized and i am just too worried to do illegal growing. they told me they would offer the owner of the house $5,000 to buy them off and sweeten the deal. this felt really weird and i said no again. they offered $10,000 and at this point i am super suspicous because this only happens in drug cartel movies right?

So i keep saying no but thanks for offering to help me with my life situation but i'm not that desperate. Then they offered to let me stay and grow at their house, where they have this large black market grow at that is financing the whole legal farm keeping it afloat. they said if all my worries are tied up with the location, i could live with them. this actually sounded kinda fun. they live on a private lake in a 7,000 sqft mansion castle with turets that are round and pointy and gorgous masonry. theres always fancy cars like porches in the driveway and you can hear music playing all the time. if it wasn't for an illegal grow happening down in the basement, it would be fun as hell.

i still declined because it was just too big of operation and i don't want to be there if they got caught. so i quit, and the boss comes and helps me build my grow room. he tells me that he will hire me back next year for outdoor and i am excited. i never got the call though and figured they didn't need me. kinda had hurt feelings but whatever. lol probably busy having fun and forgotten about me.

the fun though really attracted attention from the neighbors who said they smelled cannabis and called the sheriff. so they came with a search warrant and found 250 plants, 300 pounds of cannabis and $150k in cash plus a 12 guage shotgun. found the other boss who was the grower there with his girlfriend. the other guys got arrested later.

if i accepted their invite to stay there and grow for money, it would've been me that was busted. so even when people are tempting you with lots of money or a lavish lifestyle, sometimes it pays to be a crotchety old fart who is too scared to play.

Attachments

• 0DACB3EB-635C-4169-B180-7127D6221CC1.jpg
    0DACB3EB-635C-4169-B180-7127D6221CC1.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 16
  • D983A22D-0E1F-4DE6-B7B7-2289773972F4.jpg
    D983A22D-0E1F-4DE6-B7B7-2289773972F4.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 19

moses wellfleet

Veteran
How is your SIP doing? I harvested the best Black Triangle ever in mine. I’m sold on the idea so I’m starting another 6. There was water flowing out of the stem when I cut it off about 3 inches above the soil. Amazing!!

Your IG is highly entertaining btw. Probably the most entertaining account I know of! :biggrin:

thailer

How is your SIP doing? I harvested the best Black Triangle ever in mine. I’m sold on the idea so I’m starting another 6. There was water flowing out of the stem when I cut it off about 3 inches above the soil. Amazing!!

Your IG is highly entertaining btw. Probably the most entertaining account I know of! :biggrin:

they sips are doing great! everything was chugging along and then i didn't go water and they plants looked a little underwatered. they both started to yellow out. i filled it back up again and then checked again today. plants rebounded within an hour.

i also got water exploding from the cut parts of the plant when it's time to harvest. :dance013:

Thank you! your dog and aloe pics are great! :thank you: i don't have very many followers but the ones who do, are some of the best folks....including yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_5344.jpg
    IMG_5344.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

thailer

SIPs are self irrigated planter or subirrigated planter. its a 27 gallon tote on wheels. it holds water in a reservoir of perlite that the soil sits on top of. the water wicks up to the soil and keeps it perfectly moist. i was using fabric bags for a while and decided to switch over. moses did too and we both love it. i think i posted some pics on page ten?

it was a weird job. 2/3 bosses didn't know how to grow but had money. it took me a while to think about why they would offer me money and try to buy me off. i think they wanted a patsy. someone to blame if they got caught driving down to cali. then they wouldn't have to say where the bud was entirely coming from the house that eventually got busted.

thailer

i dumped the SIP out to see if there were roots in the bottom that had grown all the way down. they did. i found roots on the bottom, in the drain pipe and through the perlite. orange cream has never has so much slippy grease factor to her resin. i am seriously pleased. i had a petiole stick to my finger i had to give it a shake to get off.

i'm going to be going back to the cannabis club that is a strip club moses. i will take some pics for you! maybe if everything works out this week, i'll have one with somebody i can share on here.

also, i just want to post that i really like this place. you have to earn respect here so when you get a like from an old head, it means so much.
:thank you::thank you::thank you::thank you::thank you:

Attachments

• IMG_5409.jpg
    IMG_5409.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5405.jpg
    IMG_5405.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5404.jpg
    IMG_5404.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5398.jpg
    IMG_5398.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 16

moses wellfleet

Veteran
i dumped the SIP out to see if there were roots in the bottom that had grown all the way down. they did. i found roots on the bottom, in the drain pipe and through the perlite. orange cream has never has so much slippy grease factor to her resin. i am seriously pleased. i had a petiole stick to my finger i had to give it a shake to get off.
I
i'm going to be going back to the cannabis club that is a strip club moses. i will take some pics for you! maybe if everything works out this week, i'll have one with somebody i can share on here.

also, i just want to post that i really like this place. you have to earn respect here so when you get a like from an old head, it means so much.
:thank you::thank you::thank you::thank you::thank you:
Okay so that is exactly what I discovered with the Black Triangle I grew in the sip. Resin production was off the chart. I also noticed that the sip plant was much more resilient to pm which I am battling with atm. It makes sense that a plant that has the perfect moisture level at all times will have a very healthy immune system. We already discussed the water free flowing from the base of the cut stem to support my theory!!

You should post some of your memes in the funny pics thread, there are a cool bunch of old hands that hang out there, always up for a chuckle!!

thailer

i'm glad you reminded me of the water pic. i put on the computer but didn't go back and post it.

Attachments

• IMG_5394.jpg
    IMG_5394.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 17

thailer

So the SIPs are working great! the plants are sucking up water fast during flower and i can't get into the back of my room easily so the SIPs in the back got dried out and the soil dried out. i put water back in the sip but i didn't get the soil wet again so the wicking action didn't work and by the time i figured it out, the plants were yellowed out.

So i made this reservoir system to auto top off the sips yesterday and i'm going to set it up in veg to see how well it works. they don't drink up water fast when they are in veg and smaller so i won't see right away like i would if in flower but we gotta start somewhere right?

Attachments

• IMG_5563.jpg
    IMG_5563.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 13
  • C040F0DA-305E-43F2-A676-857A52F238AE.jpg
    C040F0DA-305E-43F2-A676-857A52F238AE.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 4B32BA22-4EE3-46A4-B20B-93EBFD0AEC5F.jpg
    4B32BA22-4EE3-46A4-B20B-93EBFD0AEC5F.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 21
  • AE2B5A78-6F55-4E76-8DF8-23FC6652F808.jpg
    AE2B5A78-6F55-4E76-8DF8-23FC6652F808.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 8BC94295-CDCF-42D6-9B1E-192590BFE7AA.jpg
    8BC94295-CDCF-42D6-9B1E-192590BFE7AA.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 19

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I tried covering the top with a garbage bag and didn’t notice much difference to be honest! No biggie tho because on the whole the SIPs work great.

I experimented successfully with using upside down yoghurt tubs instead of flexible pipe. Worked perfectly!!

thailer

Mac in the middle looking much bigger and more equal in size to the others.

I’m not too sure if giving measurements would be helpful but I have some suggestions. For the reservoir, the hole that water flows out into the control bucket should be towards the bottom and use a 1/2” bulkhead to attach the line. For the control bucket, also put the exit hole that leads to the SIPs at the bottom. The float switch should be high enough that it’s above the desired water level so water doesn’t come out the hole if your rubber seal is crappy like mine. I would say 1.5” above the top of the bulkhead that leads to the SIPs.

Now the controller bucket services all the SIPs and fills them up one by one so the last sip on the line gets water last after everyone else is filled up. My friend said four SIPs initially but I asked if six was ok and he said yes. This one I made just has three hooked up on it and the flow rate is so slow that I am thinking of making two control boxes to feed the six SIPs when the reservoir runs dry. I also think I will add an extra float switch so there’s two filling each control bucket so it can fill faster. It’s like RO water dribble slow. The float switch doesn’t let a lot flow out at once so a better float switch or more of them. It’s probably not even a big deal.

So each sip has two shut off valves so the water doesn’t drain out of the sip and it cuts the gravity feed so water doesn’t drain out. This way you can unhook and put it from veg into flower. I used an elbow at the end because I thought the line might get kinked doing a 90 degree angle but it leaks.

When it runs dry, I am going to try a continuous loop to see if that helps fill them faster and keep the water pressure even on the whole line so all pots get watered equally. Similar to blumat line systems.

Attachments

• E802959A-D9CE-44ED-82AE-95D85B5232FA.jpg
    E802959A-D9CE-44ED-82AE-95D85B5232FA.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20170124 140122
    20170124 140122
    55.8 KB · Views: 21

thailer

lol it's just an irrigation system. no salts in the water but its the best growth rates soil can get. the plants have already bounced back being ripped out of the old SIP and put into this new SIP. i have the water level set at two inches and the perlite in between the top of the water level and the soil is 2 inches. when i was taking apart the sips, i noticed i didn't put the drain hole low enough and the bottom of the soil was at the water level. the plant was ok but it looks happier now.

i think i'm going to try rebuilding the control box so the drain hole is lower and that will increase the water pressure. the reservoir doesn't fill it up quick enough so the hole has some air exposed and isn't fully covered. i am hoping this will speed up the fill rate. i also would like to add some more shut off valves for the feed line that goes to the control bucket and the line that feeds the SIPs. if i had done that, i could shut off the reservoir and adjust the line for leaks or length or i could attach a new control box. shucks.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After working with Blumats and now seeing your system, I'd really like to do a side by side and see if either system might be better than the other. But I have to believe they'd be statistically even, given they're doing essentially the same thing though through different means.

The Blumats do offer a better form of control though. At least imo.

Tagged.