What's new

Thai's Blooper Reel

thailer

i haven't updated in a while because some spider mites found their way inside my grow room from outdoors. i don't take in clones just because i do not want bugs, yet here they are biting my plants. I went outside and found the bush that grows next to the baffle box and hides it, had grown into the baffle and pushed the intake filter up making it cockeyed. So i did a major pruning to the bush and put in a new filter. I had plants that were ready to bloom but in the middle of the plant inside were lots of mites. they weren't really causing the stipple damage but when you flip the leaf, you'd see three adults and eggs. usually i can see them with the naked eye but i think i'm losing my sight because i can't see detail up close.

anyone need reading glasses to see bugs? So i recently saw this thing called a bang board and its for identifying bugs and makes them easier to see. probably have to get something like that. but anyways, i decided that i would be better off to chop down the big plants and take some cuts from them and start over with smaller plants so its easier to get complete coverage. worked twice before.

anyways, i have removed everything and cleaned up. I'm just hoping these plants root. i have taken the big plants and put them outside sprayed down just in case i don't get roots. So it will be a long while before i have any bud shots or what ever.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ey_of_Alternatives_for_Controlling_Pest_Mites

this study is one of the best studies i've read recently on mites. it was just released a couple weeks ago and it talks about how mites gain resistance. after reading it, i really think these things are evil cockroaches. the saliva from their bite can shut down SARS and the salicycic acid response so the plant can't boost it's immune system. guess aloe is useless. :laughing:

they have about a 100 receptors to resist pesticides and compared to other bugs, its very advanced. when they took a mite from one host plant and put it on another host plant, within two hours the mite had the capability to resist anything about that host plant. it didn't really go much into this but i thought it was impressive it takes less than two hows for them to gain a resistance. so that's why contact on the first time is important when spraying. i literally read this article a few times last Sunday.

thailer

OOOHHH!! i forgot

the best thing about the article is it uses cannabis to kill mites!! extract of cannabis sativa has a 87-90% kill rate. hahah so maybe this is what they were talking about when mites switch host plant and that is how they can eat on plants that the essential oil could kill them, like peppermint plant can get mites and neem trees have pest problems. very interesting.

plants have a memory so if they had mites a year ago, this is somehow transmitted to the mites or they can spot these plants as weaker and more suceptible. so would something like tissue culture be like a reset of this memory?

AND, maybe this is the best part, the SIPs are amazeballs!! yield from Orange Cream is typically 145-160 being my best yeild off her in about two years growing her. I GOT 247 GRAMS!!!!!!! that's like a extra QP per plant. i shit u not. i got two gallon jars stuffed. i was so shocked when i was filling the jars up.

unnamedmike

Sorry to read you about mites in your plants bro :cry::wallbash: they are hard to kill.

Thanks to this f** pest lost half of my keepers. My mites were soil mites, never saw any outside the cococoir. I add bayer acaricide in irrigation and that only lower the population a little, but don't kill them all. My solution was to take cuttings from survivors, throw the poisoned cococoir and keepers, steam boil all the cococoir, and clean everything with chlorine.
Thanks for the link, now I got some good weekend reading

best of luck

thailer

Sorry to read you about mites in your plants bro :cry::wallbash: they are hard to kill.

Thanks to this f** pest lost half of my keepers. My mites were soil mites, never saw any outside the cococoir. I add bayer acaricide in irrigation and that only lower the population a little, but don't kill them all. My solution was to take cuttings from survivors, throw the poisoned cococoir and keepers, steam boil all the cococoir, and clean everything with chlorine.
Thanks for the link, now I got some good weekend reading

best of luck

i think it wouldn't be soil mites if your plants are dying. soil mites are composting mites and won't attack roots but they will eat dying roots. they seem to pop up when you're over watering and will go away when you stop and the roots stop dampening off. are they aphids? root aphids look like composting mites sorta.

even if you applied the miticide, i don't think that would stop composting mites but when i googled bayer aracicide, one product pops up from europe and it is a once a season application which tells me that its pretty serious chemicals. it isn't for aphids though so maybe it is an aphid.

i scrolled through your diary here and your plants look really healthy for the most part. there is a room of small plants that seem to have some issues but it looks more like a fertilizer thing to me. the bloom plants look really nice!!!

unnamedmike

i think it wouldn't be soil mites if your plants are dying. soil mites are composting mites and won't attack roots but they will eat dying roots. they seem to pop up when you're over watering and will go away when you stop and the roots stop dampening off. are they aphids? root aphids look like composting mites sorta.

even if you applied the miticide, i don't think that would stop composting mites but when i googled bayer aracicide, one product pops up from europe and it is a once a season application which tells me that its pretty serious chemicals. it isn't for aphids though so maybe it is an aphid.

i scrolled through your diary here and your plants look really healthy for the most part. there is a room of small plants that seem to have some issues but it looks more like a fertilizer thing to me. the bloom plants look really nice!!!

Hi thailer :tiphat: Forgive the appearance of some of my plants, I dont own an adequate setup or resources to adapt it soon, step by step Im updating the factory.

Unfortunately not all mites are good people.
https://www2.ipm.ucanr.edu/agriculture/onion-and-garlic/bulb-mites/

https://en.bestinsectkiller.com/root-onion-mite-underground-pest-of-polyphagous-844563

I initially thought of nematodes or root aphids, but the symptoms continued after using a nematicide / imidacloprid (Im trained in use chemicals safely for me and the environment, and i use only in keepers, and as a last chance). After taking these photos, no doubts, in my case they are root soil mites. I grow in cococoir, is hard to overwatering
And here my soil mites ... Some times happen (i think the bulb mite in the first pic is Rhizoglyphus echinopus or robini, not beneficial mites)
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

thailer

Hi thailer :tiphat: Forgive the appearance of some of my plants, I dont own an adequate setup or resources to adapt it soon, step by step Im updating the factory.

https://en.bestinsectkiller.com/root-onion-mite-underground-pest-of-polyphagous-844563

I initially thought of nematodes or root aphids, but the symptoms continued after using a nematicide / imidacloprid (Im trained in use chemicals safely for me and the environment, and i use only in keepers, and as a last chance). After taking these photos, no doubts, in my case they are root soil mites. I grow in cococoir, is hard to overwatering
And here my soil mites ... Some times happen
View Image

View Image

yeah those are definitely mites. they look like predator mites to me tho because they have longer legs than a mite that eats plants. seaf0ur told me long ago that when you aren't sure about bugs in the soil, that you could tell usually by looking at their activity. the predator good bugs will move fast and the bad bugs move slow. i tried to find bulb mites to compare and some of the IPM info from the universities showed them but it only says they eat bulb plants like tulips.

i think your plants are looking great! they are all praying and seem healthy so i was confused because looking through your pics, they seem to be fine. :dance013: i'm very sorry you lost some of your keepers. i would be devastated if i lost mac1 because it is such good medicine for keeping me happy. never had a plant i was so attached to. i hope you have a great harvest!!

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran

And here my soil mites ... Some times happen
View Image

View Image

When you pulled the rootballs, did you happen to clean them?

If it looks like you've got perlite stuck to your roots after cleaning, that could very well be a root knot nematode. Which will kill your plants. And can be a bitch to get rid of.

thailer

i have a friend who has root knot nematodes. i didn't believe him at first till he finally showed me a pic of ugly roots with what looked like warts on the roots. he has had them for a long time.

unnamedmike

yeah those are definitely mites. they look like predator mites to me tho because they have longer legs than a mite that eats plants. seaf0ur told me long ago that when you aren't sure about bugs in the soil, that you could tell usually by looking at their activity. the predator good bugs will move fast and the bad bugs move slow. i tried to find bulb mites to compare and some of the IPM info from the universities showed them but it only says they eat bulb plants like tulips.
i think your plants are looking great! they are all praying and seem healthy so i was confused because looking through your pics, they seem to be fine.
dance013.gif
i'm very sorry you lost some of your keepers. i would be devastated if i lost mac1 because it is such good medicine for keeping me happy. never had a plant i was so attached to. i hope you have a great harvest!!

Thanks thailer. Currently there is not a single insect in my rooms. I Sterilize all the cococoir, replace the mothers I could take cuttings and finish the flowering of the monsterization almost without roots. Bulb mites not only attack tulips, but also garlic, onions, lillys, sweet potato, etc. Any bulb plant, and in those days I used compost tea, earthworm compost, etc. The mite in the photo I think is Rhizoglyphus echinopus or Rhizoglyphus robini

When you pulled the rootballs, did you happen to clean them?

If it looks like you've got perlite stuck to your roots after cleaning, that could very well be a root knot nematode. Which will kill your plants. And can be a bitch to get rid of.
Hi got_bud. I fought chemically with the nematodes (I think I won) a few weeks before seeing mites. The plants were recovering, again healthy roots even with knots. But a few weeks later they began to decay again and I finish what is seen in the photo, something eating the lower part and the new roots of my keepers, no more root knots, only roots rotting. I am not an entomologist, so I am not sure what happened.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks thailer. Currently there is not a single insect in my rooms. I Sterilize all the cococoir, replace the mothers I could take cuttings and finish the flowering of the monsterization almost without roots. Bulb mites not only attack tulips, but also garlic, onions, lillys, sweet potato, etc. Any bulb plant, and in those days I used compost tea, earthworm compost, etc. The mite in the photo I think is Rhizoglyphus echinopus or Rhizoglyphus robini

Hi got_bud. I fought chemically with the nematodes (I think I won) a few weeks before seeing mites. The plants were recovering, again healthy roots even with knots. But a few weeks later they began to decay again and I finish what is seen in the photo, something eating the lower part and the new roots of my keepers, no more root knots, only roots rotting. I am not an entomologist, so I am not sure what happened.
As far as bug identification goes, I 'm pretty sure if it has more than 4 legs, it's a bug.

Yes, even crab, lobster, and shrimp are bugs. Delicious, delicious bugs.

You're in coc so you don't want bugs.

I'm in living soil, so I need bugs. Just not the bad ones.

thailer

So it's been a month since i last updated. not too much to report. I have enough cuts rooted to fill up the bloom room. i had to do a restart because some mites came in but they're gone now. haven't seen any new damage in two weeks.

i'm gonna pop some seeds soon. I'm popping Lemon Shiv from capulator. they were freebies from the portland expo and it's got a lot of mac genetics in it, (pinesoul x freezerburn) X Lemon Fire x freezerburn). freezerburn is Mac1(Super lemon dawg x Miracle 15).

So cap has recently finished running a test run of the Lemon Shiv and said it is stable with no mutants or herms. it has two different smells, pine and lemon ammonia and i guess he has is saying the ammonia ones are super frosty.

what do you guys think of ammonia terps? i like them but i don't want to smoke it every day.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i’m damages from cat pee so sometimes ammonia terps trigger that intense dislike. i used to enjoy the effect of some of those tho.

pine on the other hand. yum!

thailer

i’m damages from cat pee so sometimes ammonia terps trigger that intense dislike. i used to enjoy the effect of some of those tho.

pine on the other hand. yum!

omg it would smell like a litter box in my room! you can taste it in the air its so strong.

the thing is that i have been seeing ammonia terps being talked about several times in the past couple months. i was curious if people think its all that great because someone tomorrow i am going to discuss a breeding project with The One and GMO. My friend gave Coot some buds of GMO and MAC1 to smoke on and he has been loving the GMO. still waiting to hear about MAC1. we also got some beans of TO x VR and we were considering backcrossing them too. just not sure on where to start plus i might be working. i'll know in a couple hours if i have the job which would end mid january. He might take the first round and veg them out so i can work and then i'll grow the next part of the backcross. or maybe we can split the seeds in half. talking outloud here. lmao

thailer

so it's been two months. wow! time has been flying by the last quarter of this year.

well i am happy to report that i think i have gotten rid of the spider mites that crept in at the end of summer. i've been vegging plants out and i've been in bloom now since december 8th. the light was set at 1000w but we had a power outage and i just assumed that the plants would be back at 1000w forgetting that it's dimmable so unbeknownst to me, the plants vegged at 600w so they got lanky and stretched. i thought it wasn't as bright in there lol. well it's the blooper reel thread right?

So they got put back on 1000w at two week into bloom. I think most of the reason why i did not notice the light was that i am using SIPs on an autofeed irrigation so i don't need to open the door and look at them. i water them in a reservoir outside the room. so i didn't look in there for three weeks and basically missed veg. the lights went out multiple times the past couple months. really surprised on how long it took me to figure out why it wasn't as bright. feel like a dumbass.

So in veg right now i have some seeds soaking called Lemon Shiv from capulator that he gave me when we met at the portland expo. i am hoping they pop soon in the water but i might have to get out the seed mat and get them warmer. even though the cup of water is in the warmest room, it feels cool. when i put them on the heat mat they pop right away. i'm used to having them pop in less than 24 hours and it's almost been a full day.

there were 12 beans in there and so i'm hopeful to find a nice girl and boy. supposed to be either ammonia or pine terps with cap reporting that the ammonia ones seemed to be the best and the few pine terps being just alright. they're herm stable from the testers too with lots of mac1 genetics in there. he's been posting pics of it along with other ones that he took to the last expo and lemon shiv is honestly the best looking to me. So i culled The One and Orange Cream but have a friend keeping them for me so i would have room to grow out these beans. i got copies of jelly breath and mac1 in veg because they're my favorites.

i've been smoking mac1 for two months now and nothing else. it has been the happiest giggly couple months. i am almost out so i switched to orange cream. i've been grumpy and sad. i don't know if it's the strains or just the crummy christmas blues but i can honestly say that i finally found something that really helps my depression i get sometimes. i prefer indicas because the sativas make me anxious but mac1 is a sativa high but doesn't make me overly anxious as it's mellow. it reminds me of weed i smoked back in 97 to early 2000's. if i only grew mac1 i would be super ok with that. in fact i am hoping to make a solid room run and mono crop it which i've never ever done before because i like variety, until now.

so anyways, i hope you all are having a good christmas and if not i hope you have a good new year 2020!!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Mmmm yeah I always say that automated watering sounds like a great idea, but plants need to be checked at least daily.

I’m doing the dipstick thing with my SIPs and probably gonna keep it that way. Constant observation is key, besides I don’t mind hanging out with plants everyday :biggrin:

thailer

in just three weeks they went from solo cup clones to two foot tall beast ready to bloom. so i took cuts of what i wanted and flipped the light. it was crazy to see. does speak to the ease of use for someone who has a busy lifestyle that they could leave for three weeks and be fine. you wouldn't need a plant sitter. once the reservoir fills up, the soil is saturated and the reservoir is full, i only looked because it was time to fill up the res and didn't realize three weeks had past.

i could've at least opened the dang door and peeked. lol

thailer

Mmmm yeah I always say that automated watering sounds like a great idea, but plants need to be checked at least daily.

I’m doing the dipstick thing with my SIPs and probably gonna keep it that way. Constant observation is key, besides I don’t mind hanging out with plants everyday :biggrin:

i have to admit that there are some great advantages to having them not on a irrigation line. there's more space in the room that's for sure. the line that runs down the middle can kink so it takes a lot of room with the totes.

i was going to try using five gallon buckets doubled up so the reservoir is in the bottom bucket and the top five gallons is full of soil. the guy who showed me how his system worked and i replicated used homer buckets. i need to buy a drill bit before i make them. that's kinda the hold up and honestly it took a lot of time to make the totes for me to go and change my mind right away. LOL they would be great outdoors. indoors its too big and my six foot wide room has totes along the wall and irrigation line in the best part of the light. i might take them outside for veggies this coming summer.

thailer

took some pics of mac1 and orange cream. also baked some bread. i've been making sourdough bread and using it to create this garlic cheese bread recipe, where you take bits of bread dough and add cheese and garlic in a loaf pan. it puts lines of cheese inside the bread.

Lemon Shiv is doing good. i have half of them at a buddies house so my plant limit is at the legal amount because i'm having some issues with police showing up at my house. i made some soil and they are gonna be up potted in a few. end of febuary i'll have room to bring them back when i harvest.

really wasn't how i wanted to start the new year with a search of my house. i'm not doing anything wrong and was barely over limit so i don't think it would of ended up bad.

Attachments

• B8DC0B1A-58EC-4587-A7D1-D5F8DB51C87A.jpg
    B8DC0B1A-58EC-4587-A7D1-D5F8DB51C87A.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 891A8FC9-35DA-48AB-BB21-B750448AB716.jpg
    891A8FC9-35DA-48AB-BB21-B750448AB716.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6189.jpg
    IMG_6189.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 13
  • 5FC42957-3AFC-4AAA-8E00-4B0A8517450A.jpg
    5FC42957-3AFC-4AAA-8E00-4B0A8517450A.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 6E4CA18B-3D3B-43CA-8389-A8969636A6D7.jpg
    6E4CA18B-3D3B-43CA-8389-A8969636A6D7.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 19

thailer

yeah it was just extra humidity from the rain. i adjusted the ventilation and she quit doing it. mac really helps me dial in my environment. the other strains don't really care unless the RH gets around 20%.

How's your garden doing?