What's new

Thai's Blooper Reel

thailer

i have a couple blumat parts like tropF carrots but i quit buying the parts after getting scared about flooding the garage with runaway drippers. that makes me nervous. So this seemed kinda foolproof.

you can adjust the soil moisture by increasing the depth of the soil because the water can only wick up so high. so if you have a plant that likes it a bit dry, you can design the sip to be pretty deep but honestly i think its just perfect. the soil absorbs the perfect amount of moisture on it's own. the blumats do have an easy to adjust tensiometer so you can adjust it as you go.

i think a side by side would be great. i don't have the money to do that tho. haha i wish i had a good moisture meter.

i like this guys system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OoHBTmniXI

moses wellfleet

Veteran
After working with Blumats and now seeing your system, I'd really like to do a side by side and see if either system might be better than the other. But I have to believe they'd be statistically even, given they're doing essentially the same thing though through different means.

The Blumats do offer a better form of control though. At least imo.

Tagged.

I will be in a position to do a side by side as I purchased a whole bunch of blumats right before I tried SIPs for the first time. I haven’t used the blumats at all yet so I can’t say for sure, but I suspect that to get the same high levels of moisture from blumats you would have to increase the flow beyond the point where you get run off from your containers. Also a container with no drainage holes in the bottom is a huge advantage, keep out pests and disease, no leaching nutes all over your floor!

@thailer that looks like a diagram from the 80s when the cover story was err umm yeah uh huh we grow like tomatoes, anybody buy my story? *avoids eye contact, looks down at floor* :biggrin::laughing:

thailer

a friend of mine just shared his pics of all my strains that are done on a blumat system in beds. fucking did awesome! his OC looks dank as fuck. i'm pretty jealous. lol

i think the difference has to be in consistent moisture levels compared to hand watering. i'm not too sure how much of a difference it would be but i'm totally game for a side by side!!! :woohoo:

thailer

so i was telling a friend who runs the blumats about our sip side by side and he says that he has used sips before he bought the blumats. he mentioned the blumats don't keep his beds evenly saturated and he needs more drippers so he just gives them a large weekly hand watering instead so the bottom of the bed gets wet. maybe it's too deep? it makes sense because the dripper can only wet so much area.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yep I did a fair amount of research into blumats, one thing that kept coming up was that the roots would be thickest underneath the dripper, so moisture is not evenly distributed. Another complaint I read was that setting them is difficult you are either overwatering or underwatering, although that was a less common complaint.

The sip I got at the moment with the yoghurt tubs is fantastic, beautiful evenly moist soil all the way around top to bottom. I can’t see how a dripper system would ever achieve that. But sure it will be superior to primitive hand watering.

Albopepper seems to be the go to guy. He gets the part about maintaining an air space so the soil can drain freely. If you don’t understand the system it’s easy to kill with kindness in a sip!!

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got an opportunity coming up that will most likely involve greenhouses. I'm wondering if building one of the beds as a giant SIP would pay off. I'm betting it would in both the long and short term.

It shouldn't be that difficult to do with pond liner and french drain.

What do you guys think of a 3'x60'x2' no till all organic SIP in a light dep greenhouse? Think that could work?

thailer

most SIPs i have seen are for outdoors on general gardening sites. they have a overflow hole for rain. there's some that are dug down into the ground but i would worry about rodents breaking the liner that holds the water. these beds are really big too.

i really learned a lot about them by watching Albopepper on youtube. he designs his beds differently inside but the info on how they work and best depth to build them at and everything is in his videos. he mentioned a depth of 16" was perfect and if it was deeper, you'd have to top water because the water can only travel up so high. that was really the only thing you need to consider is the depth of the soil.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
most SIPs i have seen are for outdoors on general gardening sites. they have a overflow hole for rain. there's some that are dug down into the ground but i would worry about rodents breaking the liner that holds the water. these beds are really big too.

i really learned a lot about them by watching Albopepper on youtube. he designs his beds differently inside but the info on how they work and best depth to build them at and everything is in his videos. he mentioned a depth of 16" was perfect and if it was deeper, you'd have to top water because the water can only travel up so high. that was really the only thing you need to consider is the depth of the soil.
I meant the 2 foot depth as where the bottom of the liner would sit. So with an 8" drain pipe, there'd be 14-16 inches of soil on top of that.

I'll watch some of his youtube videos. Try and figure out if he got any info from a book or all by trial and error.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I meant the 2 foot depth as where the bottom of the liner would sit. So with an 8" drain pipe, there'd be 14-16 inches of soil on top of that.

I'll watch some of his youtube videos. Try and figure out if he got any info from a book or all by trial and error.

Do a couple runs with smaller containers first so you can see the principle in action. Mine are fifteen gallons. A huge sip sounds awesome!

thailer

i got some new genetics recently!! a friend bought some mac f2 beans from some guy that have been sitting in my post office box for a week now but i am getting a t shirt sent from a friend who is trying to get her t shirt line more exposure in a couple days, so i am waiting before i drive over there. She wants me to wear it when i enter cannabis competitions because i won another one and got some really dank beans. The t shirt is pretty dope and has a good message, "Good people smoke marijuana" with her artwork on it.

the new beans i won are from Square 1 Genetics by THC Titan with new beans he recently dropped called Pacific Punch. look like huge frost monsters.

i also got some beans made by Avinash Miles called Bubba Cheese from a friend.

And i got beans a while back at indo expo i am not sure i mentioned here but they're called Lemon Shiv and its freezerburn cross that looks like a lemon mac1 and those are regular beans so i am gonna hunt for a male plant in those and i don't think i am going to use the males i chose from the cheesedog beans to back up my clone only strains for fridge storage. i'm just sick of smoking orange pot. orange cream is just too good to lose and i know i'll want to smoke orange pot again, so if i get a male to make some beans and then i can back cross it, i should have beans with a decent percentage of orange terps. i hope right. lol

heres a lower mac1 bud that got bent over the container
E1E4105E-5F3A-434F-AD51-60869ABB5E70.jpg

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Were the Cheese Dogs a little disappointing? I bet those beans from Avinash will be fire!! I read your posts about MH for bloom I been meaning to try it since 2012. I’m still using old school mag ballasts.

If the ballast ain’t scorching hot it won’t grow pot!!

Congrats on another win :biggrin::tiphat:

thailer

the last time i read about lights was the beginning of 2014 when i selected a mag ballast and adjustawing reflector. hahah Well i upgraded to a Raptor Dual Bulb XXXL which is HUGE and has two sockets so you can run 2000w at once. So I ran 1000w hps and 1000w MH and i got some serious results but I can't run them all year long like that so in summer i would just do HPS or i tried just MH and i have to say i think bud under HPS is not as good as it was under MH. so i ended up just using MH or a combo.

So the light i bought came with hps bulb in it and i was told it was new but it blew out a few days ago so i bought a Solistek MH bulb and the light is white. I bought a second used DE light that also came with a newish bulb from a friend and the bulb has a blue look to it. I want to say the bulb was an Ushio but I'm not sure. I can take pics with the lights on now so i am PUMPED to be able to share easier. before i was waiting for the lights to go off and then quickly snapping pics while holding a CFL bulb in one hand and camera in the other.

which is great because now i have some new, new to share.

thailer

E1E4105E-5F3A-434F-AD51-60869ABB5E70 (1).jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5753.jpg
some mac1 lower buds and the new design for the irrigation system. :tiphat:

the loop takes up a lot of room in the middle so positioning the totes has been awkward and i need to build more. i'm not too sure what i am gonna do. figured i'd update tho. i don't have anything in flower right now so i'll just be vegging these out.

nickman

Veteran
Very nice my friend...!!!...

I know just what u mean about the mh and hps bulbs. I’ve been going back and forth as well with which bulb to use for flowering. The last few rounds I’ve been using the my bulbs for the entire grow. Well I veg under t5’s so not then.
I feel that flowering under the hps bulbs may give me slightly bigger buds but I seems that the quality of the buds is slightly better when using the my bulb to flower under.

But I’m not certain as I’ve been not running things at 100% cause of the summertime hear issues.

In the past I used to use a dual-arc bulb that was basically a 60%hps and 40%mh in one bulb by Hortilux but they’re expensive...

I’m thinking this round I’m gonna go back to flowering under the hps bulb just to see what’s up.

I also like being able to take pics in the grow room with the my bulb. Hps sucks for taking pics under.

I’d like to know more abou5 your setup. Looks good. I love using big totes like that. Plants always come out better with all that root space.

U use soil in them ?

Drip system is what’s up too...!
,!...

I know just what u mean about the mh and hps bulbs. I’ve been going back and forth as well with which bulb to use for flowering. The last few rounds I’ve been using the my bulbs for the entire grow. Well I veg under t5’s so not then.
I feel that flowering under the hps bulbs may give me slightly bigger buds but I seems that the quality of the buds is slightly better when using the my bulb to flower under.

But I’m not certain as I’ve been not running things at 100% cause of the summertime hear issues.

In the past I used to use a dual-arc bulb that was basically a 60%hps and 40%mh in one bulb by Hortilux but they’re expensive...

I’m thinking this round I’m gonna go back to flowering under the hps bulb just to see what’s up.

I also like being able to take pics in the grow room with the my bulb. Hps sucks for taking pics under.

I’d like to know more abou5 your setup. Looks good. I love using big totes like that. Plants always come out better with all that root space.

U use soil in them ?

,!...

Have you thought about mixing spectrums? I've always read what you're describing. I veg under MH but switch to HPS during flowering with LED mixed in. I've always had the understanding you do where HPS = Yield and MH = Quality but I'm a big proponent of mixing spectrums if you have the electricity for it. I've been running HPS mixed with cheap LEDs and been having good results.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you thought about mixing spectrums? I've always read what you're describing. I veg under MH but switch to HPS during flowering with LED mixed in. I've always had the understanding you do where HPS = Yield and MH = Quality but I'm a big proponent of mixing spectrums if you have the electricity for it. I've been running HPS mixed with cheap LEDs and been having good results.
I'd like to see someone combine CMHs and LED. I think that could be a killer combo.

nickman

Veteran
I also have some cheap White LED T5 panels I have placed on the walls in certain spots... I haven’t been able to use them all with the HID’s also turned all the way up to 1000 watts...

Soon this summer heat will be gone...!!!...

thailer

U use soil in them ?

,!...

i am so excited to be able to take pics again with the MH lights!!

i have a flower room that is 9'x6'x9' with one phantom DE reflector that is operated at 1000w hung right at the ceiling. i am running the basic coot soil recipe and it seems to do ok. the totes are 27 gallons with probably a little over 20 gallons of soil in them with straw mulch.

i don't exactly do No Till soil because i mix up the soil pretty often and cut it 50/50 with new soil. so i suppose i recycle soil. kinda loosey goosey around here.

the veg room is a 5x6x9 and both of them are in the garage. usually i have a perpetual where i am harvesting a plant every other week but i'm all done harvesting and have been cutting plants for clones so it's all a hot mess right now. lol