What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canon MPE 65mm Macro Images

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Long Swooping Pistles

Long Swooping Pistles

what lighting did you use? mr 14?

Walt good for you..I need to upgrade my body..looking at a 5D. Hey renting is the way to go for me. Lighting...man that's a crap shoot. I've used so many different configurations I can not tell you. I use two speedlights, two 200 watt daylights, but good ol Motha Nature, direct sunlight with a flash bounce is one of the best. I do not have a set system for lighting. Google O Flash..I use it a lot as well.

Hummingbird Green..fresh Sativa buds with those long pistles..enjoy..DD

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

the 5dmkIII is pretty crazy!
i prefer natural light myself, just getting into artificial light. ill google the o light.
i found a local place that has the 65mm for rent, so i may give it a go.
have you tried the macro extension tubes? the work like a magnification extension tube, except they allow your lens to get closer to the subject.

awesome pics!

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Walt always good to see someone post. It's hard to know who's still watch'n when I don't hear anything. When a resin falls in the grow does anyone hear it..LOL.

So these from DJs Cocoa Kush..cheers..thanks for your views..DD

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very nice DD,, I always enjoy the view from here. :)
Have been meaning to ask you DD, how many images do you take (on average) to get the 1 that you're happy with,, generally speaking whats your ratio of shots? Just curious mate.

OLDproLg

Veteran
MAC daddy DOOB!!!!!!!

Now these mac's are off the HOOK!!
Such colors and all.....
Looks good on ya DOOB!
You are ROCKIN this place my ol' friend geeeez!!!
the strawberry the cocoa mmmmmmm!

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya had amber in the one pics above...dank.Frank

Ooops I ment to edit that out DF. Ya I got it buddy..but not a lot.. even with the way past due stuff.

Have been meaning to ask you DD, how many images do you take (on average) to get the 1 that you're happy with,, generally speaking whats your ratio of shots? Just curious mate.

Smurf..thanks for asking, it all depends on the set up, what type of images, Ie macro, close up, portrait, I'm shooting. Macros are tough, if I luck out on lighting and the set up 1 out of 10 and I usually shoot 200 in an average shoot.
With portrait, cola or plant pix, 1 out of 5..and a lot easier to do what helps is I've got that set up nailed.
With hummingbirds...1 out of 50 and it's not unusual to capture 3 or 4 hundred pix in a shoot. I'm disabled, so some days I may not feel well enough to do a single image. My set up allows me to kick back while shooting. When doing hummers I lay in lounge chair with a 20' remote.

Keep in mind that's considering "you're happy with".. me being happy with. To satisfy me one has to be rather good as an image first, sharp, lighting, composition. Yet a unique image will win the PoTM every time. My expectations and qualifications are quite high. Then I only upload the best here.

MAC daddy DOOB!!!!!!!
..the cocoa mmmmmmm!

Thanks Old Pro! I'm glad you liked them. I have a few more Cocoa Kush in the archives.

Cocoa Kush:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Manivelle

Veteran
hi doobie
fantastic macro man !! i love it

i have a canon powershot s3is . could you help me to find a macro lens for this digital camera ?
peace
mani

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes Mani I'd like to try, thank you by the way for the appreciation of my art, after searching for a review on your camera to make myself more familiar with it-it seems you don't have many options, it's not interchangable lense system limits you. I do see "A Super Macro mode with 0cm shooting distance and optional Close-Up lens 500D (58mm) allow for detailed macro photography." listed for it? Have you looked into that? If ya don't mind you might ask your question in our Photography forum and someone might just have one and be able to give you some examples..peace.

So What up with my MPE pix..let's dig out some Jolly Bud never before published from the archives..cheers..DD

Mountain High Seed Jolly Bud...a real resin magnet...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
WOW DD :yoinks:
The jolly bud looks like a alien underwater pearl farm in some of those macros :D
Absolutely stunning once again mate and thanks for sharing with us all :good:
:joint:

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
DD, hope you're feeling well. Keep up the fantastic work - I never tire of the pics you post, they are incredible!!!

Manivelle

Veteran
hi doobie
yes i've look to that 500d lens but i have a kit macro lens x1 x2 x4 x10 and telephoto lenx 2.2
all opteka . you can found them on amazon .
this what i can for the moment with them http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=37358
picture.php

but i'm searching for a real macro lens (expensive one) adaptable on a 58mm (or near with adaptater ring(screw)
i will open a thread thanks for your help

peace
mani

opt1c

Veteran
you inspire me mr doobieduck... i hope to join this thread with pics of my own soon enough :joint:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
..more Jolly Bud

..more Jolly Bud

you inspire me mr doobieduck... i hope to join this thread with pics of my own soon enough ..

opt1c.. I welcome any images captured with the Canon MPE 65mm macro lens in this thread, but I'd like to keep it to those specifically from that lens as to critque and evaluate it.

Today more pix of my Jolly Bud..enjoy, thanks for your views and posts..DD

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

opt1c

Veteran
got the lens yesterday... only have dry flowers to play with... this was on the wrong aperture but i'm slowly teaching myself... i got a ways to go lol

picture.php

bubbleman

Veteran
Well Doobie.. WELCOME to the MPE family.. isnt it fun..
great lens.. hard to beat it.. If others are wondering about a set up.. i would say if you shoot canon the MPE 65mm cannot be beat.. the only shots i've seen personaly come close are Nikon lens 90mm with lens reversal and extender tubes.
I would say that if you want a bang on flash for that lens the MT24EX dual flash by canon is hard to beat. It seems almost designed for the lens. The more accurate you can control that light the easier you can get away from blur and really nail some clear shots.
I absolutely loved going thru this entire thread and seeing your progression my friend you are a fast learner.. your photos show that.
I will leave you with the few tips MONKEY gave me when i first got the lens.. although it may be more specific for the dual flash.
Iso never leaves 100.. shutter speed around 150 to 250 also rarely change and then depending on how clear of a shot you want of a single or a few trichomes.. an extremly low fstop is best.. and of course as you well know a higher fstop for those larger full framed shots ( some of my favorite shots of yours are these types)
I generaly do very little processsing afterwords.. a crop and maybe a slight exposure drop.
anyway i hope these small tips come in handy.. they were HUGE to me when monkey passed them my way.. and of course great job bro.. love seeing your shots..
I won't clog your thread but will leave you with this one shot from yesterday.. congolese dried bud. ( keep the leaves on the bud instead of trimming them and you will be amazed as a photographer how well the trichomes are protected )

Bubble man

opt1c

Veteran
thanks for the info... youtube photoshop dof macro stacking for some helpful vids if you have photoshop; that helped me a bunch but i've yet to take trichome pictures... the macro rail for your tripod is awesome too

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wish Nikon would make a lens to compete. I keep trying with the dam Reversing ring and all I get is crap. My best Macro where with the lens on a set of tubes the normal way. Every Time I try to reverse it I cant see shit to take a pic.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hammer practice makes close to perfect..you might need more lighting buddy..it takes a ton.

... youtube photoshop dof macro stacking for some helpful vids...
opt1c I've done a few stacks but they were years ago. I've just strayed away from it because I'm old and in the way, an old timer needs a kick in the ass to make him change his beliefs in what we do to our images. Mine I advertise as being a single frame captured in a single moment.
Good luck with you MPE I look forward to seeing more of those pix here!

Bubbleman it's always a pleasure to see your images and have your presence in one of my threads. Thanks for that advice, there's one tid bit there you offered I'm not doing consistently and I'll try anything to get images as sharp as yours. And thanks..with your recommendation I may have to rent that flash next time I rent the lens. You're more than welcome to clog this thread with all the MPE pix you got my friend, thanks your expertise welcomed.. DD

Here’s a few more Jolly Bud from my 2010 shoot including the F2 seed I’m growing out this year….

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts