What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Air Pumps be Replaced and Other Cool Ideas

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been growing hydroponically for about 8 years now, and tried HPA, LPA, Drip, F & D. There are things about each that I like and things that I think can be improved, and have experimented in that pursuit. One thing they all had/have in common is air pump/stones in the rezes. This means CO2 is being sucked in causing pH to rise on a daily basis. My quest includes eliminating air pumps that run 24/7 as well as increasing DO.

To that end, I bought a O2Grow 2020 3 grows ago, but ran into self inflected wounds that prevented me from trying it. Even if it works, IMHO, I think the rez should be circulated periodically as well. I made several DIY set ups but was over complicating it attempting to incorporate a waterfall above the water line. Recently, it occurred to me there is a better simpler way. And so, I developed a method that I can use in SWC as well as any other size rez. Pics in my next post as this photo upload system only provides for 5 photos

My grow space has heat issues, notably open beam ceilings which are fine in the 'winter' but it's hot and humid here 8+ months a year: my grow space is a hot house due to the radiant heat. Running AC is an option, but mine is at least 28 years old and very inefficient adding >$200 a month to my non ac month bills! It's been in the mid 80s all 'winter', with a couple cool days here and there.

I first started out using organic nutes, but the heat made them a bad idea. I tred a variety of nutes, including Emerald Harvest full line, but have gone back to the simplicity and excellent results using Hydroponic Research V + B. One important benefit is that until bloom additives are incorporated (which are dark), the rezes are crystal clear, making it easy to see what's what.

First the problems with each from my experience;

HPA can be amazing but only when the ambient temps are maintained below ~ 80*s. When I first started apparently it was cooler months, and it worked well until flower, then crashed. The ambient heat caused the RH inside the root chamber to jump killing the very delicate root hairs. When the parameters were good, the roots were amazing, looking like big balls of cotton candy.

Drip Next I tried top feed drip using Air Pots, but instead of soil mix, I used lava rock and Hydro Halo drip rings. The ring hole kept clogging, so I drilled them out, but they still clogged. Turned out algae was building up inside the rings, which required regular cleaning. Im guessing the nutrient solution was not completely draining after each feeding, and that combined with the room heat caused the algae. It wasn't the LED light which was well above the rings. Issues aside, I had excellent results with this (see images)

Flood & Drain I then tried F & D, but fought mosquitoes throughout that grow. Since mosquitoes easily find their way into my house and seek out standing water, I had to put lids on the plant totes as well as the rez, but they were already established. The mosquito larvae was entrenched in the plant totes. One benefit of the lids is less evaporation. Issues aside, I had excellent results with this (see images)

(to be continued)
Deep Water Culture/Shallow Water Culture

Low Pressure using large GPH pump + HPA Mist heads

View attachment 514794

View attachment 514795 View attachment 514796

View attachment 514797 View attachment 514798

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here we go again, with the assholes destroying another of my threads

Of course I will report to the mods who will likely continue to do nothing,

so until they remove you assholes, I will not continue

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I don't see how anyone is destroying this thread..?

Also, not two weeks ago Gypsy removed two pages worth of posts from one of your threads after your report. That's nothing done about it?

You could always ignore list users you don't like, or be like Nirvana and nevermind.

:tiphat:

RB56

Veteran
A little bit of the scientific method would go a long way in these threads - you know, hypothesize and test. The consistent pattern has been hypothesize success, argue with anyone who questions the methodology and then fail. and fail and fail. I understood better when you were using these threads to shake down manufacturers.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't see how anyone is destroying this thread..?

Also, not two weeks ago Gypsy removed two pages worth of posts from one of your threads after your report. That's nothing done about it?

You could always ignore list users you don't like, or be like Nirvana and nevermind.

:tiphat:

You would need to go back through my previous thread to see how long these jackals have been attacking me

If Gypsy deleted any of their threads, clearly they did not get the message. I went back to 12/02 and counted 30 worthless posts that are still there

Now, if this thread is something the 150 people who viewed it are interested in then contact Gypsy. So until all are deleted there and here, AND, Gypsy tells them to cease or get banned then why would I bother?

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Most people experiment in their labs and once the experiment has proven successful, release the data. You should start a journal vice a thread, if you want to chart your journey. Talking to yourself is not conducive to dialog!

RB56

Veteran
Right, speaking for myself, I have contempt for you because you got me banned for rightly pointing out that you were shilling for the companies you tricked into sending you free merch. So, you're passive aggressive, operate without integrity and have never contributed anything of value to anyone but yourself. None of that would matter if you conducted yourself reasonably and stopped with fringe fad stuff that seems to dominate every aspect of your activities. Being told we're stupid for questioning your magnetic water, spheres, or whatever else you are promoting as factual. Going to put you on ignore, so I'm not tempted, but really, it's ALL you.

Happy New Year.

P

pongster

... with the assholes destroying another of my threads...
...until they remove you assholes, I will not continue

... see how long these jackals have been attacking me

If Gypsy deleted any of their threads, clearly they did not get the message. I went back to 12/02 and counted 30 worthless posts that are still there

Now, if this thread is something the 150 people who viewed it are interested in then contact Gypsy. So until all are deleted there and here, AND, Gypsy tells them to cease or get banned then why would I bother?

namecalling, ranting, censoring requests...

just don't bother... take the bike and clear your head.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right, speaking for myself, I have contempt for you because you got me banned for rightly pointing out that you were shilling for the companies you tricked into sending you free merch. So, you're passive aggressive, operate without integrity and have never contributed anything of value to anyone but yourself. None of that would matter if you conducted yourself reasonably and stopped with fringe fad stuff that seems to dominate every aspect of your activities. Being told we're stupid for questioning your magnetic water, spheres, or whatever else you are promoting as factual. Going to put you on ignore, so I'm not tempted, but really, it's ALL you.

Happy New Year.

Does anybody see the stupidity that this person says I GOT HIM BANNED. It couldn't possibly because HE falsely accused me, but had zero proof

But it's all mne

WOW

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In a short time already 325 views but I refuse to continue until the mod removes these assholes from posting in my thread

If you would like me to continue you need to voice your interest

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
In a short time already 325 views but I refuse to continue until the mod removes these assholes from posting in my thread

If you would like me to continue you need to voice your interest

You are an ICMAG DONOR, So for that I'd like to thank you for supporting the forums and for your contribution to it.

With that said this is a public forum and everybody is entitled to reply to public threads. You as the thread starter, Also have the option to Ignore any member who you would rather not see contributing to your post and threads.

I've provided a screenshot all you got to do is click on the users name select public profile and choose to Ignore. Once you ignore a user none of their post will be visible to you and thus the interruption of your thread will discontinue. :tiphat:

Attachments

• 2019-12-31 12_40_39-Greenshot.png
    2019-12-31 12_40_39-Greenshot.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 25

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are an ICMAG DONOR, So for that I'd like to thank you for supporting the forums and for your contribution to it.

With that said this is a public forum and everybody is entitled to reply to public threads. You as the thread starter, Also have the option to Ignore any member who you would rather not see contributing to your post and threads.

I've provided a screenshot all you got to do is click on the users name select public profile and choose to Ignore. Once you ignore a user none of their post will be visible to you and thus the interruption of your thread will discontinue. :tiphat:

Thank you, but will their posts still be visible to other people viewing my thread? If they would then I would not be able to defend myself against their ignorance and stupidity

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Thank you, but will their posts still be visible to other people viewing my thread? If they would then I would not be able to defend myself against their ignorance and stupidity

I do believe once Ignored the user would still be able to reply you just wouldn't see the post.

I understand your point in not being able to defend yourself. But if your looking to avoid the issues, it's the easiest way. The back and forth arguing turned pissing match can really kill a threads productivity and even get a thread closed.

I think its a happy medium, Yeah you won't be able to defend yourself from what you feel is ignorance and stupidity. But isn't that the whole point? Avoiding post from members you feel don't contribute anything useful to your threads so that you don't end up in some nonsensical argument over an issue from years ago or just hard feelings in general.

What is honestly the better course of action? Ignore them and never have to argue or debate with their post again, or continue to clog up your threads with unrelated off topic rants and argumentative/insults?

Happy Posting, and Happy New Year everybody! :tiphat:

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do believe once Ignored the user would still be able to reply you just wouldn't see the post.

I understand your point in not being able to defend yourself. But if your looking to avoid the issues, it's the easiest way. The back and forth arguing turned pissing match can really kill a threads productivity and even get a thread closed.

I think its a happy medium, Yeah you won't be able to defend yourself from what you feel is ignorance and stupidity. But isn't that the whole point? Avoiding post from members you feel don't contribute anything useful to your threads? So that you don't end up in some nonsensical argument over an issue from years ago, or just hard feelings in general.

What is honestly the better course of action? Ignore them and never have to argue or debate with their post again, or continue to clog up your threads with unrelated off topic rants and argumentative/insults?

Happy Posting, and Happy New Year everybody! :tiphat:

Yes they have killed a couple of my threads because they give very bad advice. Just scroll back to 12/02 in my previous thread and you will see

Most likely they are vg growers when they stay in their lane of limited knowledge, but when they attempt to tell me what Im doing wrong outside their very basic knowledge, I have to defend myself, otherwise new people seeing their posts will not know that they are wrong

Thier posts need to be removed and they need to be warned, and if/when they repeat, they need to be banned

Once I get confirmation of that I will continue. Look at the views. Clearly people are interested

Latest posts

Latest posts