Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Propagation > Cannabis Seed Storage

Thread Title Search
Cannabis Seed Storage Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2019, 11:41 AM #1
acespicoli

acespicoli has a spectacular aura aboutacespicoli has a spectacular aura aboutacespicoli has a spectacular aura aboutacespicoli has a spectacular aura about
Talking Cannabis Seed Storage

Intro

The topic I want to discuss is seed saving
and storage of strictly cannabis seeds.

As of 2019 best information available tells us:

Hemp is possibly one of the earliest plants to be cultivated.
Cannabis has been cultivated in Japan since the pre-Neolithic period,
for its fibres and as a food source, and possibly as a psychoactive material.
An archeological site in the Oki Islands near Japan contained cannabis achenes
from about 8000 BC, probably signifying use of the plant.

Hopefully with this information we will be able to save seeds for many more years to come!

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:39 PM #2
romanoweed

romanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really nice
Ther has been old Palm Tree Seeds found wich where:::: 2000 years old! here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judean_date_palm
It was found in a Barring site of a King there in Africa. Eventually conserved?????????? I thought we could eventually learn from how they where stored! Eventaly you can use balsam, or what the Heck..Cause coolingsytems re way more coplicated stressful method. You dont want the Seeds in your kitchen right.. I would like to know how these Palm seeds were stored. I mean 2000 Years!!!!!! They were sproted in 2005 and made Children!
We should read into this case i think. No time right now, but i may doo that later
Peace
romanoweed is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:43 PM #3
romanoweed

romanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really niceromanoweed is just really nice
with tissue culture the brought back 32000 year old frozen plant here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silene_stenophylla more lucrative, but i think 2000 years is enough, and i wanna make this dooable, so im more interestet in the electricity free Storage method
romanoweed is offline Quote

Old 05-06-2019, 09:53 PM #4
acespicoli

acespicoli has a spectacular aura aboutacespicoli has a spectacular aura aboutacespicoli has a spectacular aura aboutacespicoli has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanoweed View Post
with tissue culture the brought back 32000 year old frozen plant here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silene_stenophylla more lucrative, but i think 2000 years is enough, and i wanna make this dooable, so im more interestet in the electricity free Storage method
Doing research for this article I had just read that too, can you imagine that with cannabis seeds haha really impressive longevity there!

The thing I do with seeds so far is

Harvest seed from healthy plants
Clean seed as much as possible
Label seed
Dry seeds internal moisture content
Package seed for storage
Store seeds
Prepare seeds for germination

* Im going to go over each detail with more information
Anyone feel free to add you methods, concerns and or hacks along the way!

Last edited by acespicoli; 05-06-2019 at 10:08 PM..
acespicoli is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:42 AM #5
acespicoli

Basic Points in Seed Storage
Storage Jars

Seeds require a cool and dry location in which to be best stored. Temperature and humidity fluctuations are seeds' worst enemies.
The most vigorous seeds at harvest time will keep the longest in storage. (As a principal we only sell the brands that have the most vigorous seeds.)
Improperly dried seeds can deteriorate drastically over time. (The seeds we sell have been dried properly before they are packaged and you only need to store them in a cool, low moisture environment for optimum preservation).
Bags and jars should be clearly labelled at time of storage with strain name, date and other relevant information about the strain you are preserving.

Moisture
Silica Gel Half Gram BagSeeds carry on life processes, at a low rate, whilst dormant. Moisture they absorb from the air combines with stored nourishment within the seed to form a soluble food, which then combines with oxygen from the air to release water and heat. Too much moisture in the air will cause the seed to burn up its stored food too quickly producing excess heat which will further lower the seeds ability to germinate. The need is to keep these exchanges to a minimum during storage to prolong life in the seed.

6-9% moisture is ideal for long term storage of hemp seeds. A test for moisture levels shows that hard shelled seeds like hemp seeds shatter instead of mashing at around 8% moisture when placed on concrete and struck with a hammer.

Silica gel, often used in the drying of seeds, can also be used to help maintain stable moisture levels within a permanent storage container. Equal weights of silica gel to seed are used. In general hemp seeds weigh between 0.01 and 0.02 grams and our silica gel sachets contain 0.5g. We recommend seeds are kept in aluminium zip-lock bags and stored inside seed jars along with the correct amount of silica gel to maintain low moisture levels. Be aware that you can seriously damage seeds by reducing moisture levels too much, so do not use too much dessicant. Silica gel, aluminium zip-lock bags and seed jars are all available to buy from our Seed Storage section.

Temperature
Seeds can survive temperatures that would kill the parent plant as long as they are thoroughly dried. Excess moisture in seeds that are then frozen can potentially freeze, damaging the seed.

Seeds need to be stored in a cool or cold place. Therefore, locations at floor level are preferable to those nearer the ceiling which can be significantly warmer. However, for long term storage, placing seeds in the fridge or freezer is ones best bet, as long as moisture content of the seed and storage container is low and the container is air-tight. The ideal temperature in a refrigerator is around 40F.

A freezer is best for long-term storage of seeds although you need to make sure:

You do not take the seeds out too much or for long enough for the temperature change to affect the seeds.
When you want to remove seeds from the freezer, you leave the container closed whilst the seeds warm to room temperature or otherwise condensation will form on the seeds.

Light
Similar to moisture and temperature, light can help stimulate and support the germination process. And, just as many foods, pharmaceuticals and chemicals rapidly deteriorate when exposed to light, so also is seed viability and vigour affected by being exposed to light during storage.

Seed Storage Problems
Mildew/Mould
Seeds which have not been dried to the correct moisture content before being sealed in containers, can and frequently do rot. A simple test: after "drying" and placing in closed glass jars, the appearance of condensation on the inside of the jar within a few hours indicates the need for further drying. Silica gel should help with this.

Insects
Insects that may have escaped notice can wreak havoc on stored seeds. A few pinches of diatomaceous earth (DE) is a safe, inexpensive and non-toxic way of protecting seeds against insect damage. It doesn't take much; just be sure to lightly coat all seeds before final sealing and storage. DE is available at most garden centres.

Rodents
Seeds which are not stored in glass or metal can provide a veritable banquet for mice and other small vermin. Make sure all seeds are kept in well labeled metal or glass containers.

Info provided by SM on cannabis seed storage

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:35 PM #6
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivor
It's super simple yo...

Take your seeds and place them in a dark air tight container and then place that container in a refrigerator that is temp controlled to 4 degrees Centigrade.

Your seeds, stored under those conditions, will last for years.

But because I don't have a lab refrigerator I place my seeds in an ammo can and keep the can in a cool dry place. I just popped some SSSDH from Rez so the storage method must be working.
MJPassion is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:11 PM #7
acespicoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPassion View Post
It's super simple yo...

Take your seeds and place them in a dark air tight container and then place that container in a refrigerator that is temp controlled to 4 degrees Centigrade.

Your seeds, stored under those conditions, will last for years.

But because I don't have a lab refrigerator I place my seeds in an ammo can and keep the can in a cool dry place. I just popped some SSSDH from Rez so the storage method must be working.

MjPassion, lol You find any rez v3 in there?

What are the oldest seeds you have germinated and what % grew ?
Just interested because like you said, its not difficult to save seed.
Oldest I have germinated are probably 7 years old.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:55 PM #8
Busto

Busto has a spectacular aura aboutBusto has a spectacular aura aboutBusto has a spectacular aura aboutBusto has a spectacular aura aboutBusto has a spectacular aura about
I have more than 40 bagseeds in a old " Marlboro " aluminium pack all collected in the last 5 years. A month and a half ago I tried to germinate one of them, it did with no problems. Directly in soil.

Maybe it was found some months ago, maybe some years... who knows.
BTW I store them in this pack and put it somewhere near my desk, on a pile of old CDs.

I can try to do a germination test sampling the ugliest looking ones, or do you guys suggest a better option to choose them ?
Busto is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:33 PM #9
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 is a splendid one to beholdwvkindbud38 is a splendid one to beholdwvkindbud38 is a splendid one to beholdwvkindbud38 is a splendid one to beholdwvkindbud38 is a splendid one to beholdwvkindbud38 is a splendid one to beholdwvkindbud38 is a splendid one to beholdwvkindbud38 is a splendid one to beholdwvkindbud38 is a splendid one to beholdwvkindbud38 is a splendid one to beholdwvkindbud38 is a splendid one to behold
I'm bad to not properly store seeds. I had over 2k or more worth of Rez, Kryptonite, Paradise, Dutch Passion and stopped growing during a divorce and it was almost a decade before I started back. Well needless to say last year I decide to start back and I couldn't get nothing to germ. Ive got a tin ive been keeping stuff in bad would like to have a refrigerator. I dunno but I swear I thought I remember a guy that said he stored them in his regular refrigerator in a jar with his food and stuff.....I don't know if that would be to cold or long as they didn't freeze would be viable, but im not sure about that

mars-hydro.com

Mars-Hydro SP 250 test

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362317

2019 Indoor grow
Lemon Dizzle, Real Gorilla 4, Blueberry, Gorilla Girl, San Fernando Lemon Kush, Tom Hill Haze, OG Cookie Haze, Biker Kush x SFV, Haze Chem

My Albums
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?u=65286

formlinesupply.com
https://www.formlinesupply.com/

terra-bloom.com
https://terra-bloom.com/

hortipots.com
cloning machine 35 site thread coming soon !

ecogardener. com
https://ecogardener.com/
wvkindbud38 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:58 AM #10
I wood

I wood has disabled reputation
Consistent 90% germination on 10 to 12 year old seed, just stored in a mason jar with some desiccant in standard fridge, not the freezer.

Still adrift in Hilbert space.
I wood is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.