What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Waxing as an alternative to the fridge . . .

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Made a hugely excessive amount of a cross eight years ago , some kept in the domestic fridge and some frozen.

Two thousand odd extras were sorted , pinch tested and covered with a small amount of beeswax by rolling them around on a cloth , a pea sized lump was sufficient.

These were kept uncovered in one of mrs foomars ornaments on a bookshelf , rediscovered in a recent housemove , exposed to normal domestic variations in temp and humidity and some sunlight for the last eight years.

Rubbed off the wax with a trich soaked rag and dropped in a glass of water , 35 from 40 germinated in 36 hours.

Which was quite a surprise given the storage history , same percentage as the fridged ones did last year.

picture.php

It might be a viable method of storage for a reasonable number of years , but fridge/freezer probably better if you don't get power cuts like I did.

Granger2

Veteran
Good info. Maybe a combo of beeswax and air tight refrigeration would give really long term storage. But what's "trich?" So they just had a really thin coating, right? Anyone care to do a combo storage, and report back in 5 years? Then a test sprouting every other year? Thanks for the info. -granger

dannykarey

Great experiment Foomar, very interesting indeed.

Thanx for sharing your findings.

Keep up the good work

Danny

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what it was that inspired you originally ?

Back in the 50,s before ornamental seed were packed in foil envelopes and plastic and not everyone had a fridge , some larger exotics were waxed to preserve them.

Did not have a gas fridge until 1950 and no electric till 1960 so options were more limited then.

My grandfather waxed pea and bean seeds in the 20,s , extending their viability beyond the usual three years maximum , those done in 1939 were near 100% in 1945 saving some varieties that were lost in the war.

But what's "trich?"

Trichloroethane is an excellent solvent , banned now but still to be found in rusting tins in old folks sheds , like benzene and lead based paint.

Everyone had a tin to clean mechanical typewriters and mirrors.

Acetone or iso works just as well and probably wont give you cancer.

Am suddenly feeling very old.

In hindsight I should have waxed half and left the other half untreated for a proper comparison , don't think I have another eight years to repeat.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
This is the kind of information that made me want to join ICMAG years ago. Thanks so much Foomar...Will do this with some seeds this year.

Would you mind sharing a picture of some of the wax covered ones?

Thanks!

ahortator

Veteran
Hi

It is really very very interesting.

Two thousand odd extras were sorted , pinch tested and covered with a small amount of beeswax by rolling them around on a cloth , a pea sized lump was sufficient.

The pea size wax lump is all you need for all the seeds or for only one?

Would you be so kind as to show a pic of a waxed seed? Please.

Best regards.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A pea sized lump of beeswax was enough to cover all of them in a thin film when rubbed around by hand in a handkerchief.

The amount on each one is tiny and they do not clump together , seems sufficient to stop any change in moisture content , which may be as important as temperature variation for long term viability.

Its impossible by eye to distinguish waxed from unwaxed , but it needs removing with solvent or cracking as they float on water and will not germinate.

Its really just a curiosity , I use the fridge for anything important or of limited numbers

Made some crosses and have about 400 seeds. Just been keeping them in bags out of sunlight. I plan on popping them in a few months. How should I store them for now? Fridge or freezer? I would do the wax in the future with more important seeds.

Stizo

Veteran
Made some crosses and have about 400 seeds. Just been keeping them in bags out of sunlight. I plan on popping them in a few months. How should I store them for now? Fridge or freezer? I would do the wax in the future with more important seeds.

Fridge.

The wax thing makes total sense. Lots of food stuffs are preserved in wax, cheese, pâtés, etc.

A wax in the fridge combo sounds like the best way to me.

acespicoli

Back in the 50,s before ornamental seed were packed in foil envelopes and plastic and not everyone had a fridge , some larger exotics were waxed to preserve them.

Did not have a gas fridge until 1950 and no electric till 1960 so options were more limited then.

My grandfather waxed pea and bean seeds in the 20,s , extending their viability beyond the usual three years maximum , those done in 1939 were near 100% in 1945 saving some varieties that were lost in the war.

Trichloroethane is an excellent solvent , banned now but still to be found in rusting tins in old folks sheds , like benzene and lead based paint.

Everyone had a tin to clean mechanical typewriters and mirrors.

Acetone or iso works just as well and probably wont give you cancer.

Am suddenly feeling very old.

In hindsight I should have waxed half and left the other half untreated for a proper comparison , don't think I have another eight years to repeat.
You must have coated yourself ;) with some of the wax :huggg:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Popped 10 of the waxed and ten of the same seed from the fridge last year , six from ten germed in both cases.
Which is average for 10 - 12 year old seed.
The unwaxed control germed zero.

Maybe the wax improves resistance to humidity changes and extends viability a little , for a few minutes effort.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Interesting, I know a bee keeper. Thanks for the info, gonna have to try this out.

3CFarmer

Popped 10 of the waxed and ten of the same seed from the fridge last year , six from ten germed in both cases.
Which is average for 10 - 12 year old seed.
The unwaxed control germed zero.

Maybe the wax improves resistance to humidity changes and extends viability a little , for a few minutes effort.
Man very interesting, and reading alll the thread i m happy to discover that indeed you got the time to make the experiment.
Thanks very much for sharing, much respect .