What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are your favorite Closed Loop Extraction Systems? Pros/Cons of Passive/Active!

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
You should be able to piece that together from the "Skunk Pharm Parts" list at Paramount Supply and Glacier Tank for half the price???

Use Amazon for braided PTFE lined stainless steel hoseing for all hoses...

Links to all the parts and companies in threads in the concentrate forum,,, you just need to dig a little deeper.

:joint:

TheCronnoisseur

Update.

Ive ordered the DYI MK3 from Terpp Extrators and have assembled it. I have pressure tested the unit and low and behold a puncture in the collection. Terpp is overnighting a new collection and pressure tests will continue once it arrives. I have decided to grab a CPS TR-21 recovery pump and now have some questions regrading the use of a MT69 CPS Molecular Transformator Recovery Submersible Subcooler. Is this something I need? I have read that the TR-21 will inherently heat my line, tane and storage tank. I want to make sure I have everything to run this active system safely as possible and don't want to cut any corners. Also can someone point me in the right direction of filling my #50 robinair storage tank with a can tapper? The tank is purged and not sure what to vac the tank to as there was no opperating manual included. How many cans will fit in the tank? I will be running a 450g sleeved column.

-Cronnoisseur

https://instagram.com/p/zRYkn1Mg7D/
https://instagram.com/p/zRZJNuMg7n/

vividavis

Update.

Ive ordered the DYI MK3 from Terpp Extrators and have assembled it. I have pressure tested the unit and low and behold a puncture in the collection. Terpp is overnighting a new collection and pressure tests will continue once it arrives. I have decided to grab a CPS TR-21 recovery pump and now have some questions regrading the use of a MT69 CPS Molecular Transformator Recovery Submersible Subcooler. Is this something I need? I have read that the TR-21 will inherently heat my line, tane and storage tank. I want to make sure I have everything to run this active system safely as possible and don't want to cut any corners. Also can someone point me in the right direction of filling my #50 robinair storage tank with a can tapper? The tank is purged and not sure what to vac the tank to as there was no opperating manual included. How many cans will fit in the tank? I will be running a 450g sleeved column.

-Cronnoisseur

You need to make a subcooler coil. Either the mt69 or any of the custom (ie IC-69) ones people on here building will work.

The 50# tank will weigh 50#'s when full. They usually weigh around 28lbs empty there should be a tare weight on the side. A 300ml can will weigh 1/3 a lb. Take it down to full vac then tap the cans into the system and recover into the storage tank.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You need to make a subcooler coil. Either the mt69 or any of the custom (ie IC-69) ones people on here building will work.

The 50# tank will weigh 50#'s when full. They usually weigh around 28lbs empty there should be a tare weight on the side. A 300ml can will weigh 1/3 a lb. Take it down to full vac then tap the cans into the system and recover into the storage tank.

The 50# tank will hold about ~50# of water when full, and you are only allowed a 80% fill to allow for thermal expansion.

The specific gravity of n-Butane is .601, so 50# x .80 x .601 = 24# of butane when "legally" full.

The tare weight of the tank is marked on the skirt as TW. When you weigh the tank, subtract that tare weight, to get actual butane weight.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update.

-Cronnoisseur

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/vacuum-distilling-butane/ shows how to do it with a cold trap, but you can use the Mk III for the trap.

A 300 ml can of Lucienne weighs 173 grams, so 24#, or 10,866.2 grams, would take about 63 cans.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

TheCronnoisseur

What directions will the inlet/outlet work best? I noticed a few other links on the IC-69 thread and comparing them to the MT seems like http://m.ebay.com/itm/131309251397?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true might be easiest to clone. Have you tried something this short (20ft)? Or have you already determined 50ft is appropriate? I have a welder but not sure if I have someone to complete the approprate bending if that even matters besides aesthetics and housing fitment . What is the point for having ball valves on the subcooler?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What directions will the inlet/outlet work best? I noticed a few other links on the IC-69 thread and comparing them to the MT seems like http://m.ebay.com/itm/131309251397?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true might be easiest to clone. Have you tried something this short (20ft)? Or have you already determined 50ft is appropriate? I have a welder but not sure if I have someone to complete the approprate bending if that even matters besides aesthetics and housing fitment . What is the point for having ball valves on the subcooler?

I cut off the vertical leg of the coil that is bent upwards toward the top of the stack, and exited it through the bottom of my heat exchanger through a 90 degree compression to NPT elbow and a welded in coupling through the heat exchanger can wall.

That makes it self draining, so liquid doesn't fill the coils at low spots. If you watch that in action, in a clear graham condenser, you will note it promotes a putt, putt flow.

The ball valves allow you it to isolate it and the butane in it, while working on the rest of the system.

PS: It is a good test of the welder and his equipment, welding the thin 18-8 SS pot wall to the 304SS Schedule 40 pipe couplings. Our regular welder has turned out over a dozen flawless heat exchangers, but we tried to add a new backup source, and it cost us a pot to find out he wasn't able to join the two radically different wall thicknesses.

Attachments

• Heat exchanger interior-1-1.jpg
    Heat exchanger interior-1-1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 21
  • Heat exchanger bottom-1-1.jpg
    Heat exchanger bottom-1-1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 19
I cut off the vertical leg of the coil that is bent upwards toward the top of the stack, and exited it through the bottom of my heat exchanger through a 90 degree compression to NPT elbow and a welded in coupling through the heat exchanger can wall.

That makes it self draining, so liquid doesn't fill the coils at low spots. If you watch that in action, in a clear graham condenser, you will note it promotes a putt, putt flow.

The ball valves allow you it to isolate it and the butane in it, while working on the rest of the system.

PS: It is a good test of the welder and his equipment, welding the thin 18-8 SS pot wall to the 304SS Schedule 40 pipe couplings. Our regular welder has turned out over a dozen flawless heat exchangers, but we tried to add a new backup source, and it cost us a pot to find out he wasn't able to join the two radically different wall thicknesses.

Are there any suitable bulkhead fittings available for those of us without easy access to a welder? :tiphat:

Chonkski

Gosh, i wish they sold those on Amazon

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gosh, i wish they sold those on Amazon

Todd only builds them to order, but no doubt someone with a pile of them, could sell them off fast. Perhaps having them built in China could be a good business leg for someone.

ROOTNEY88

Funny thing

Funny thing

GW is really lucky he didn't try to patent the MKIII. There is no way in hell to stop all these one off companies selling their pieced together Glacier tank parts as "New and Improved CLS"

Less valves???? This guy should stick to working at a hydro shop.

If one wants less valves, then just leave them in the open position and pretend they are straight pipes.

T's, Crosses, and ball valves EVERYWHERE for the win!!!

:joint:

Funny thing is that even looking at the link, the master blaster closed loop is allot cheaper that the MKIII even if you source the other valves and t,
So for anyone to knock another company when everyone buys the stainless parts including terp from the same CHINA factory is kinda the pot calling the kettle black.

Even Glacier tank after you pay shipping and wait two months to buy parts its still cheaper to buy a pieced together 710 SNOB or TERP, time is money and the time waiting for glacier every two weeks to say two more weeks is bad.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://710snob.com/product-category...oop-extractor/

[/FONT]

TheCronnoisseur

I think I may have recovered oil into my recovery line/pump. It this possibile through vapor or does this mean I was recovering liquid tane? The reason I think this is there was a very thin film of oil on the lid of my MK3. What is the best way to confirm if I have or not and what steps need to be taken if I have to insure not ruining a TR-21 if I haven't already. I notice a different sound while pumping when 20psi is in the system, is this normal? What are the best opperating pressures? Does anyone have any info on system maintenance ? Replacement of gaskets, filter dryer etc?