What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are your favorite Closed Loop Extraction Systems? Pros/Cons of Passive/Active!

TheCronnoisseur

I definitely pulled oil into my line. I removed it to check a noticed oil on the flare fitting. After I cleaned my lines, I pulled the filter drier to see how it looked and couldn't really notice any residue. I ran the system after I cleaned up and again the collection just smothered head to toe in oil. I am not doing somthing right, anyone have input? It's becoming more of an oil spill vs extraction and sure I'm starting to mess up my recovery pump, storage, lines, cross fittings, valves ect

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You definitely don't want to pump liquid, only vapors.

When you say a thin film of oil on the lid, do you mean the underside of the lid or the top side?

Underside suggests too much liquid too fast. What size lower tank, what size column?

Describe your operating procedure?

If you've ingested liquid into your pump, you ostensibly need to clean and reseal the upper end.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW is really lucky he didn't try to patent the MKIII. There is no way in hell to stop all these one off companies selling their pieced together Glacier tank parts as "New and Improved CLS":joint:

Because Gray Wolf is a very old wolf, and has been around the corporate barn multiple times on both sides of infringed patents, he saved himself and everyone paying attention the heartbreak of defending their patent or a patent infringement suit.

With a shorter time span to be concerned about, how much money is enough, and in the tattered old Gray Wolfs case, is it more fun out wasting money on debauchery, or creating new targets for the competition (?) to emulate.

Because most now have no illusions of a patent, it also makes it easier for me to pick and choose from the good ideas of other brothers an sisterwomen, to incorporate or emulate.

Let the free market begin and may the best product and customer service prevail!

TheCronnoisseur

You definitely don't want to pump liquid, only vapors.

When you say a thin film of oil on the lid, do you mean the underside of the lid or the top side?

Underside suggests too much liquid too fast. What size lower tank, what size column?

Describe your operating procedure?

If you've ingested liquid into your pump, you ostensibly need to clean and reseal the upper end.
The underside of the lid and the walls of the collection. I'm running a 6x12 collection with either a 3x18 or 3x36 column. For the 3x18 it takes roughly 2 lbs 4oz to soak. I add a extra 2 lbs, close input and liquid lines and wait to recover the extra 2 lbs over soak weight. My collection is in a warm water bath at 70-80, my subcooler in an ice bath and tank in a cooler topped of ice. For the 3x36 column it takes 4 lbs 12 oz for liquid to reach the top. I add 2 lbs over soak weight, close input and liquid lines and wait for that 2 lbs to be recovered. I'll do this cycle 3-5 times as tank weight has recovered everything over original soak weight and -10hg is reached. When dumping the column, I open liquid line first allowing it to recover what's in that line. I then slowly dump the column. When my gauge reads 10 psi, I close dump value and wait till -10 is reached. I continually do this until dump is fully open. Once tank weight is 2-4 oz or pressure is -10-22hg, I harvest the extraction. There is a thin film of oil in the cross joint which the recovery hose, gauge and vacuum lines are connected, almost positive I've recoverd liquid. I've been spending more time cleaning then extracting lol. Is my storage tank now jeopardized? Any insight how to pull apart a tr-21 and reseal its upper end? What is the best way to clean braided hoses?

TheCronnoisseur

Here's a photo, I'm assuming this is the top end?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 19

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The underside of the lid and the walls of the collection. I'm running a 6x12 collection with either a 3x18 or 3x36 column. For the 3x18 it takes roughly 2 lbs 4oz to soak. I add a extra 2 lbs, close input and liquid lines and wait to recover the extra 2 lbs over soak weight. My collection is in a warm water bath at 70-80, my subcooler in an ice bath and tank in a cooler topped of ice.

A 6" OD, .0893 wall X 12" long sanitary spool, holds about 320 cubic inches, or about 26.7 cubic inches per inch of length.

A 3" OD, .065 wall X 18" sanitary spool holds about 113 cubic inches, or about 6.27 cubic inches per inch.

n-Butane weighs about .0217 lbs/cu in, so 113 cubic inches of butane would weigh about 2.4 lbs, and with the material, you appear to appear to have room for 91% butane at 2.25 lbs.

In the 6" spool 2.25 lbs of butane would occupy about 4", so you have margin, and you indicate you are careful equalizing pressure before dumping, making
the big question where the column is dumped.

How long are your center and vent tubes? You are running a 12" lower spool, but haven't mentioned extending the dip tubes to compensate.

For the 3x36 column it takes 4 lbs 12 oz for liquid to reach the top. I add 2 lbs over soak weight, close input and liquid lines and wait for that 2 lbs to be recovered. I'll do this cycle 3-5 times as tank weight has recovered everything over original soak weight and -10hg is reached. When dumping the column, I open liquid line first allowing it to recover what's in that line. I then slowly dump the column. When my gauge reads 10 psi, I close dump value and wait till -10 is reached. I continually do this until dump is fully open. Once tank weight is 2-4 oz or pressure is -10-22hg, I harvest the extraction. There is a thin film of oil in the cross joint which the recovery hose, gauge and vacuum lines are connected, almost positive I've recoverd liquid. I've been spending more time cleaning then extracting lol. Is my storage tank now jeopardized?

It may have some cannabis oil in it, but you can recover it the next pass or dump and flush.
Any insight how to pull apart a tr-21 and reseal its upper end?

Yup, but more involved than this closed loop pro/con passive/active can cover without highjacking, so suggest starting a How to rebuild a TR-21 thread to suck in some pros with the details already printed.

What is the best way to clean braided hoses?
Not much sticks to PTFE, so we clean our PTFE hoses by flushing in place with clean solvent. We wipe the braided stainless outsides clean with denatured alcohol.

TheCronnoisseur

-How long are your center and vent tubes?
-Making the big question where the column is dumped
Looks to be 3" or 4". Not sure if I understand what you mean by "where the column is dumped". The dump tube is directly in the center of the lid. I dump after the end of the 3rd cycle slowly throttling the liquid and dump valve not exceeding 10psi. Could I be throttling to slowly and having oil splattered? I am almost positive I'm not running to much liquid into the collection but oil is everywhere. I've been feeling the collection for temperature differences as its hard to tell how much liquid is in the collection without a sight-glass. The only way I can get an accurate assessment is by tank weight and the pressure gauge. Is there anything I should change up in my running procedures to fix this problem? I tried running less liquid in the system only allowing a pound into the collection at a time and I'm still getting oil top to bottom. I really appreciate the time you take to respond to my question's GW, helps a lot! Is it not wise to run my system until I reseal the top end of the tr-21? Here are a couple pictures. I cleaned the lid and first inch of collection spool but as you can see the thin film of oil head to toe.. It was completely clean prior... lots of loss and cleaning!

BlueOrganics

How are you applying heat to your collection pot? Too much heat could cause the liquid to boil and bubble up high enough to possibly cause slight ingestion of oil and show those signs.
Soup in a pot..boils up and out, if it's too hot. Or full..��

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks to be 3" or 4". Not sure if I understand what you mean by "where the column is dumped". The dump tube is directly in the center of the lid. I dump after the end of the 3rd cycle slowly throttling the liquid and dump valve not exceeding 10psi. Could I be throttling to slowly and having oil splattered? I am almost positive I'm not running to much liquid into the collection but oil is everywhere. I've been feeling the collection for temperature differences as its hard to tell how much liquid is in the collection without a sight-glass. The only way I can get an accurate assessment is by tank weight and the pressure gauge. Is there anything I should change up in my running procedures to fix this problem? I tried running less liquid in the system only allowing a pound into the collection at a time and I'm still getting oil top to bottom. I really appreciate the time you take to respond to my question's GW, helps a lot! Is it not wise to run my system until I reseal the top end of the tr-21? Here are a couple pictures. I cleaned the lid and first inch of collection spool but as you can see the thin film of oil head to toe.. It was completely clean prior... lots of loss and cleaning!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59456&pictureid=1402612View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59456&pictureid=1402613View Image

I suggest you extend your center tube and vent tube, so they dump closer to the bottom of the lower tank.

Paz

Who provides good products from Europe? Too much of a mixed bag in the states, lots of bs, lots of unanswered emails, lack of people posting abroad, etc etc

Humpi

Hi again GW.

When you say extend the dip tube... How would you do that? Find a welder to weld on an extension? Or is there a more simple solution?

jpdnkstr

I'm also interested in a simple diy dip tube extension.... There are some ideas on here, not sure which thread now.

Hi again GW.

When you say extend the dip tube... How would you do that? Find a welder to weld on an extension? Or is there a more simple solution?

GW is referring to your center or dump port. Unfortunately the only way to extend it properly is with a good welder. The vent tube because of bi-flow design (if present) also should be extended.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi again GW.

Welding on an extension is one proven way, but if it just slipped over and extended the tubes, it would work as well. For instance, a piece of PTFE hose or stainless tube.

Humpi

Thanks again GW.

Do you think it is OK to use a hose clamp to secure the ptfe hose on to the dip tube? I am not too sure what kind of metal hose clamps are made of. Or should I get a hose that I can stretch over the dip tube.?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Thanks again GW.

Do you think it is OK to use a hose clamp to secure the ptfe hose on to the dip tube? I am not too sure what kind of metal hose clamps are made of. Or should I get a hose that I can stretch over the dip tube.?

I have used hose clamps inside my collection pots in the past. I too don't know if it is 100% stainless, however I also don't think the clamps caused any problems.

Just keep the hose clamps above your unpurged product in the collection chamber.

:joint:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks again GW.

A stainless hose clamp works fine. If you can't find them at a hardware or automotive store, try a marine store.

Last edited:

Chonkski