What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP PRINCE....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronbo51

Veteran
In 1976 some good friends of mine were signed by Arista records for a three album deal. That same year Peter Frampton released "Frampton Comes Alive" and a light bulb went off in every record exec's little brains. Instead of cultivating talent within their own stables they all decided that unless you can produce hit songs and immediately make the record companies lots of dough right now, fuck off. Progressive bands like Yes, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, as well as fusion guys like Billy Cobham, Chick Corea, Stanley Clark and others were told to make hits. Most just quit but Tull did "Bungle in the Jungle", Yes and King Crimson reformed into UK, who tried to make some hits. But it was pretty pathetic and the whole progressive, FM radio format was killed and the modern music industry emerged. My friends first album, "Happy the Man" is still regarded as perhaps the best prog album ever done,but after their second album,"Crafty Hands" was released in 1978 they were told there would be no third album and the band disbanded and they, along with many other artists were thrown to the streets. At the same time as this went down MTV began and what little was left of the FM format of long songs with extended soloing was reduced to pop songs supporting the VIDEO which became the real money and motivation in the industry.

This is where Prince came along. He fit the MTV model perfectly and exploited it to his great advantage. Good for him. I hated it and all it represented. I remember going into bars and all the TV screens played MTV. All that horrid 80's pop drivel condensed into 4 minute tightly produced songs wrapped around the VIDEO. It was awful. I never really knew Prince was a guitar slinging superhero since I never saw him live and didn't watch MTV or follow 80's music but then I saw the Super Bowl when he did the halftime. In the pouring rain, under very harsh conditions he delivered the best halftime performance ever, and I remember thinking, "Wow, that fucker is a lot better than I ever thought" .

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
haven't listened to his music since I was wearing roller skates...but he was quite talented ..wrote a lot of songs for others ,donated lots of money to charities/causes..fought for his independence hence the symbol part of his career..he designed all his own outfits and did all the stuff most folks pay others to do,,and the man could jam on the guitar...what else can ya say...yeehaw....prob have to listen to some of his stuff now...its ironic peeps are now downloading and streaming his music now which he hated while alive...

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Me and Mrs. G. love our old rock and roll..

I was never a Prince fan, but she always was.
When I saw this u-tube from 2012, I realized I probably missed a lot from this man..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Lots of great musicians on this stage, but wait 'till you see Prince kick some guitar ass, in the 2nd half of this video..

R.I.P. man.... You were truly a great guitar player!

edit: PS... this has always been one of my favorite rock and roll songs since it came out...

Prince walked with music dinosaurs..tell your wife she has excellent taste in music

PS: Lonnie Mack died today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwpd_f4t8U8

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
Chimera, you really like Mcdonalds that much? The "12" huh?

Check that youboob link...

did you ever see prince and grimace at the same time.......exactly.....Chimeras onto something here

grimace_is_a_pimp__by_starcatfri-d5qfcdx.png

eyes

Veteran
Very generous and talented musician who could play many musical instruments. Not to mention a very generous guy monetarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.