What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP PRINCE....

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanda88

1999 By Prince

I was dreamin' when I wrote this
Forgive me if it goes astray
But when I woke up this mornin'
Could of sworn it was judgment day

The sky was all purple
There were people runnin' everywhere
Tryin' to run from the destruction
You know I didn't even care

'Cause they say two thousand zero zero
Party over, oops out of time
So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999

So sue me if I go to fast
But life is just a party
And parties weren't meant to last

War is all around us
My mind says prepare to fight
So if I gotta die
I'm gonna listen to my body tonight

Yeah, they say two thousand zero zero
Yeah, yeah

Lemme tell ya somethin'
If you didn't come to party
Don't bother knockin' on my door
I got a lion in my pocket
And baby he's ready to roar, yeah yeah

Everybody's got a bomb
We could all die here today, uhh
But before I'll let that happen
I'll dance my life away

They say two thousand zero zero
We're runnin' outta time
So tonight, we gonna, we gonna (tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999)

Say it one more time
Two thousand zero zero
Yeah, yeah
So tonight we gonna, we gonna (tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999)

1999 (1999)
Don't ya want to go (1999)
We could all die here today (1999)
I don't want to die
I'd rather dance my life away

Songwriters: PRINCE ROGERS NELSON

Meraxes

Veteran
1999 By Prince

Forgive me if it goes astray
But when I woke up this mornin'
Could of sworn it was judgment day

The sky was all purple
There were people runnin' everywhere
Tryin' to run from the destruction
You know I didn't even care

'Cause they say two thousand zero zero

So sue me if I go to fast
But life is just a party
And parties weren't meant to last

War is all around us
My mind says prepare to fight
So if I gotta die
I'm gonna listen to my body tonight

Yeah, they say two thousand zero zero
Yeah, yeah

Lemme tell ya somethin'
If you didn't come to party
Don't bother knockin' on my door
I got a lion in my pocket
And baby he's ready to roar, yeah yeah

Everybody's got a bomb
We could all die here today, uhh
But before I'll let that happen
I'll dance my life away

They say two thousand zero zero
We're runnin' outta time
So tonight, we gonna, we gonna (tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999)

Say it one more time
Two thousand zero zero
Yeah, yeah
So tonight we gonna, we gonna (tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999)

1999 (1999)
We could all die here today (1999)
I don't want to die
I'd rather dance my life away

Songwriters: PRINCE ROGERS NELSON

That's the one...o man nostalgia city :tiphat:

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Tragic. Purple Rain has always been a favorite. He had some fun music, very talented. Not the genre of music I prefer but it did fill a space.
Now that he's passed, many are coming out and telling what he donated his money to that were bound to silence prior. Apparently a generous guy.

N

noyd666

R.I.P
picture.php

Jesco

It's sad that anyone dies but if anyone must ................... you fill in the blank. I wasn't much of a fan and know no one with a LP of his. Do like lil red corvette and 1999. Barely!

His music and style wasn't to my liking, but he was an outstanding songwriter.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
His super bowl performance is routinely reported as one of,
if not, the best.

Had a meet and greet once way back and he was humble and present
in the moment.

The great ones pass and we stuck with the biebers and what not.

Its just not fair.

Green Squall

Reportedly,Prince was hospitalized last week after his plane for was forced to make an emergency landing in Moline, Ill. Released a few hours later, he had been battling a bad case of the flu.

Now they are reporting that was a drug overdose. He got a "reverse shot" (narcan) and left against dr's orders. The opiate epidemic is getting worse and worse.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Me and Mrs. G. love our old rock and roll..

I was never a Prince fan, but she always was.
When I saw this u-tube from 2012, I realized I probably missed a lot from this man..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Lots of great musicians on this stage, but wait 'till you see Prince kick some guitar ass, in the 2nd half of this video..

R.I.P. man.... You were truly a great guitar player!

edit: PS... this has always been one of my favorite rock and roll songs since it came out...

Space Toker

Veteran
Genre...what genre??? He invented his own genre, and if I was to be honest, I liked both the hard rock/heavy metal or glam rock or whatever you wanted to call it... that was my thing, and a second thing what I call "freak rock/pop" or whatever, all those crazy cooky songs and bands, not that bland pop and all that crap that was most popular, Madonna and MJ and all that BS, hey I briefly liked Cyndy Lauper no one's perfect, and Kylie Minogue and well a whole lot more I don't want to admit... after the fact I liked Ozzy and other shit that was going on then.

So, I in theory did not like that "genre" either, but that is the magic of Prince, he drew you in and made you "get it". Whatever label you wanted to put on it, I did not like it, but I loved many of his songs in the the 80's to early 90's maybe, as I liked the Batman stuff as well. After that I kind of lost touch with what happened with him, but the more I hear the more I like... the guy who embraced spirituality and sexuality and managed to marry them off together happily, a good man who did a lot of good quietly and out of the spotlight. I was always impressed by his charisma and ability to drive your soul in a good way and now I am so happy I was able to enjoy his music and now I enjoy his humanity. RIP Prince may you continue to do great things in Heaven or the next existence/manifestation of yourself... you were a truly great soul! Rock on man!

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Genre...what genre??? He invented his own genre, and if I was to be honest, I liked both the hard rock/heavy metal or glam rock or whatever you wanted to call it... that was my thing, and a second thing what I call "freak rock/pop" or whatever, all those crazy cooky songs and bands, not that bland pop and all that crap that was most popular, Madonna and MJ and all that BS, hey I briefly liked Cyndy Lauper no one's perfect, and Kylie Minogue and well a whole lot more I don't want to admit... after the fact I liked Ozzy and other shit that was going on then.

So, I in theory did not like that "genre" either, but that is the magic of Prince, he drew you in and made you "get it". Whatever label you wanted to put on it, I did not like it, but I loved many of his songs in the the 80's to early 90's maybe, as I liked the Batman stuff as well. After that I kind of lost touch with what happened with him, but the more I hear the more I like... the guy who embraced spirituality and sexuality and managed to marry them off together happily, a good man who did a lot of good quietly and out of the spotlight. I was always impressed by his charisma and ability to drive your soul in a good way and now I am so happy I was able to enjoy his music and now I enjoy his humanity. RIP Prince may you continue to do great things in Heaven or the next existence/manifestation of yourself... you were a truly great soul! Rock on man!

Well said Space Toker
60's, 70's, into the 80's gave us some killer music. Never really cared for all the disco stuff. Altho the BeeGee's did have some good sounds
Prince had a way to touch a spot inside, bring back a memory, a better time, that a whole lot of artist can't do. What passes for music today is, well, just not my thing.
And yeah, I'm an old guy, lol

Space Toker

Veteran
yeah I was not around for the 60's, I still wish I could have been at woodstock but not born until a year later (It seems I am a little too late to many things, a boyfriend of my mom once joked "you will be late to your own funeral" and I wouldn't doubt it! :D ;D ).. anyway, came to enjoy a lot of music from the 60's and 70's (and a little from before too) before I was musically aware, sort of, by the late 70's/early 80's. Disco, ugh my mom liked.... oh forget who they were called keep thing of "oh oh oh oh keepin alive keepin alive".. or something like that... man that drove me nuts along with the elevator music. Ugh elevator.. well, all I can say is he was truly an amazing musician and performer and lyrical talent, and am finding out that might be the least of his great attributes! He lived more than many could live in 10 or more times as long and should show us all what is possible for all of us if we follow our calling or dreams or whatever inspires you.

Space Toker

Veteran
oh yeah you were admiring the beegees as I was knocking them, yeah that's who I was trying to think of, granted they were better most disco but other than 1-3 songs including the one I mentioned that all too briefly intriguiged me slightly, most was crap... well, I can't say objectively as I was in elementary school and could not take part in the coke and gold pants and dancing... but I don't think I missed much! :D I only wish I did not miss the Prince thing in the 80's, I was in my teens and I guess so was many in that scene but I was far from being able to go to concerts that era, but listened to a lot of shit on a crappy clock radio! And my first real stereo was paid for by well... you know... man, Prince was a crazy good impressive talent for sure. I hope he will be remembered for giving all of himself to music and doing it so well as he was truly a legend and think Hendrix rubbed off on him in some way for sure as both could play a crazy good guitar!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Remember seeing that video of Hall of Fame....glad Prince made it, not posthumously like Roy Orbison, Ben Keith, Buddy Guy.

Purple Rain, 1999, Little Red Corvette, Raspberry Beret...all good songs....just never spent $$ on his work.

Indeed a talent and memory of his contributions that will linger way beyond his cause of death. Will be a damn shame if it was an overdose....like so many before him.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
PRN was a musical genius - end of story. If you can amass that kind of musical output while literally fist fighting the musical establishment at the same time and stay relevant for 40+ years I think that qualifies you as somebody to be reckoned with.

I never saw him live in person but lots of tape of live performances. I was first exposed to him on MTV and most of his videos did not convey what a kick ass guitar player/performer he was, but his live shows filled in those blanks.

All great artists have their quirks, never hold that against them. If the latest rumors of OD are true then that really sucks but any reason for this man dying is pretty shitty. He was head and shoulders above his peers and as music changes and evolves I fear that he will be one of the last of his kind as the BieberBots take over the music business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts