What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Origin of beady/pearly bud pheno (Dr. Grinspoon, quaze)

Cvh

Supermod
Watch this old school picture of Acapulco Gold.
attachment.php

Attachments

• A2086C11-11BF-41DE-9F84-C7B7D4E38C9D.jpg
    A2086C11-11BF-41DE-9F84-C7B7D4E38C9D.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 134

J-Icky

If I remember correctly grinspoon was/ is a Mexican cross I found a plant like that once in Mex bagseed. I'm looking for high yield low yield just pisses me off no matter how good it is

I know this is gonna sound bad but why are you posting in a thread about a notoriously low yielding pheno if you hate low yielding strains no matter how good they are. I think what you’re looking for is big bud and it’s offspring.

teide

Veteran
I took it as rolandomota contributing to the thread topic regarding the origin of grinspoon buds.
He's guessing the bud structure comes from mexican genes.

teide

Veteran
Indeed, looks like 100 seeds have fallen out just from the part seen in the photo..

Sunshineinabag

Interested in the genetics of the mutant pheno found in Senor Garcia /Dr. Grinspoon line. What is the origin of this pheno? Read on a grinspoon thread here that some suspect the grinspoon genetics have been changed by Barneys, as they find more indica and no beads in the current seeds.
If recent Grinspoon no longer contains the genes for the beads on a string-pheno, where else can I find it? Has anyone seen it in Oregon Purple Thai or in any Panama strains? Maybe other Thais? I've heard the same pheno has occured in a cbg destroyer. Also in a few other sativas that I forgot the names of.
Can it show up in an auto? Like my auto desfran seeds?
For those who have found the pheno, does it survive as a mother after reveg or cloning, or does it change with age?
Will the pheno be passed on in seeds from a pearly bud reversed with sts?
Does anyone keep a pearly bud pheno as a mother, or have you all just grown it out once and not been bothered to keep it, due to the long flowering an bismal yield?

I like the way you think

teide

Veteran
Thanks, sunshineinabag.
Since I started the thread I've seen loads of photos of similar bud phenos in so many strains. South American, thai, Indian and African. All are landrace. The most recent pheno on this thread was in Burmese landrace! I guess it is something related to old genetics, as it is found in all these landraces, and I doubt it will show up in an auto. At least a commercial one. I am interested in the origin of the specific grinspoon version, but the jury is out on that specific pheno, and we might never know for sure the exact lineage of Barney's strain. I agree with OJD and takenbythesky that it's most likely a Neville's haze. Many say it is identical to quasar from grower quaze. I would like to hear what he himself says, anyone knows if he's still active? Today I bumped into this article, where it states that Quaze denies that Dr. Grinspoon is a copy of his plant quasar.
http://smokefrogg-growjournal.blogspot.com/2010/04/extreme-foxtailing-business-weird.html?m=1

Reeferman says it's Senor Garcia. When he does his parallel grow we will see.

Now that it’s apparent that similar bud phenos are to be found many places, I just want to get one! My intention is to find it in a photo period plant, so I can clone it and keep the mother in veg. Then try to pass these buds onto an auto. Or breed auto genes into what ever cultivar I find that shows this bead pheno. I really doubt it can be found in any available auto strain. I fear it is a bud pheno that requires time to develop. Longer than the flowering period of current autos. Destroyer has the pheno, flowers forever. My dutch passion Auto Desfran is an auto version of Destroyer. Its bud structure is nowhere near beady foxtail.
I hope the buds can be combined with auto genes, I just don't know how. Noone has been bothered to try, I guess. When I get the pheno I will definitely get at it!

mack 10

Veteran
I had a few of these phenos in juicy fruit seeds from Sensi but this was back around
2000/2001.
I didnt see any benefit to those phenos back then. (And now if I'm honest)
The smoke was a proper Thai/sativa blasting.
Straight up to the moon.
Super trippy, great colour inhancement
Can be creative if you can handle the power.
Terps where almost erotic.
Very complex a blend of
Thai and juicy fruit bubblegum aromas.
If I remember correctly there where 3 bead phenos and the rest ,5/6 phenos where much better yielding with virtually the same high.
(From the Afghan in the cross.
Thai X Afghan if you didn't know.

This was as good or better than the G bud that was going around at the same time.
Not seen it since.

Most of today's youth could not handle this stuff.
Which will really do ya noggin if you let it.
Mind you I don't think they would buy it either
As they have never seen proper sativa herb.

teide

Veteran
Lucky you to have had it, mack10!
Three different bead phenos? How many plant did you grow to find those?
I"ve seen juicy fruit being mentioned before when taking about bead phenos. Do you reckon the bead phenos were from the thai and the other phenos had mostly afghan influence, or do you think the bead pheno can be related to afghan genes as well, or maybe be a result of combining afghan with thai? Never heard of beads showing up in pure afghani strains...

mack 10

Veteran
Hey Teide, here's some answers to your Q's..
I found those bead phenos from around 10-15 seeds. If I remember correctly.
I would guess it came from the Thai side. As
I have never seen this in Afghan genes either.
I would try and get some Juicy Fruit seeds and F2 them. With a bit of luck you might have a bead pheno pop up.

Happy hunting.

F2F

Demon latcher

Demon latcher

Hiya Teide,

Might want to check out demon latcher. I’m not straight on etiquette here wrt posting non-IC banks. PM me if you can’t find it on the www. It’s haze x oaxacan.

Peace,
F2F

JetLife175

Veteran
Found one of these during a massive pheno hunt of Jack Herer. It was the only seed out of 600 or so. I’ll go digging for a photo today and try to find it.

teide

Veteran
Awesome! If that was consistent throughout the whole plant, I would be very impressed!
Please tell me it was the whole plant..
I suspect it was only on select branches and more on top than bottom, and influenced by lights, heat or nutes? Still it's the most pearly pheno I have ever seen in an auto. Thanks for sharing!

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Years ago a buddy ordered some greenhouse great white shark from that Marc Emery. We always assumed something got mixed up and he ended up with a variety pack of sativas. All were long flowering and each one was complete different than the others, and all were 100 day or more finishers. One in particular was nothing but small calyx and some stems. I never seen the plant in person but the smoke was excellent. He did not keep a backup once he realized it was not forming buds. I would love to know which seeds to find that in.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Awesome! If that was consistent throughout the whole plant, I would be very impressed!
Please tell me it was the whole plant..
I suspect it was only on select branches and more on top than bottom, and influenced by lights, heat or nutes? Still it's the most pearly pheno I have ever seen in an auto. Thanks for sharing!

It was the whole plant! Actually all three out of the three pack were like this. My buddy also had a three pack, but only 2 were like this.

I had mine outside.

picture.php

I think my buddy has his inside under LED but not sure

TheDarkStorm

Another strain that has Neville haze in aswell as laos an a few other bits.....alice,
Seen something very similar pop up out of a 22week ssh pheno from ghs.

Attachments

• user76339_pic610169_1298417197.jpg
    user76339_pic610169_1298417197.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 65
  • user76339_pic610170_1298417197.jpg
    user76339_pic610170_1298417197.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 72

Latest posts

Latest posts