What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Origin of beady/pearly bud pheno (Dr. Grinspoon, quaze)

teide

Veteran
Interested in the genetics of the mutant pheno found in Senor Garcia /Dr. Grinspoon line. What is the origin of this pheno? Read on a grinspoon thread here that some suspect the grinspoon genetics have been changed by Barneys, as they find more indica and no beads in the current seeds.
If recent Grinspoon no longer contains the genes for the beads on a string-pheno, where else can I find it? Has anyone seen it in Oregon Purple Thai or in any Panama strains? Maybe other Thais? I've heard the same pheno has occured in a cbg destroyer. Also in a few other sativas that I forgot the names of.
Can it show up in an auto? Like my auto desfran seeds?
For those who have found the pheno, does it survive as a mother after reveg or cloning, or does it change with age?
Will the pheno be passed on in seeds from a pearly bud reversed with sts?
Does anyone keep a pearly bud pheno as a mother, or have you all just grown it out once and not been bothered to keep it, due to the long flowering an bismal yield?

JetLife175

Veteran
My opinion is that it’s from the OPT. Was one of the very first cuts I selfed. Found a couple of those in the s1. Never ran Panama though. And they weren’t spot on for the pheno that grinspoon throws out. But they were very similar.

teide

Veteran
This is exciting. The pearl pheno is out there, and I want it in my collection. It will be great fun to play with for crosses, but I have no experience with it. I've read grow reports of Dr grinspoon. There are praises of the high and flavor, and there are reports of hemp-like comparisons. I wonder if these are different genotypes of just human factors: grow method, individual preferences/ physiology. It would be cool to get the pheno in a pure landrace, kind of cacthing the original genes for my personal growing. I don't know if that makes the offspring poorer potency-wise, like introgressing auto genes from a ruderalis when you could use a hybrid that has been refined in some way.
Maybe Dr. Grinspoon has a better expression in their line because it is a hybrid?

I kind of hope the genes are thai, it would be great if the pheno is South East Asian. I would be thrilled if it could show up in my Cambodian landrace seeds.
However, OPT has haze in it, could it be that the pheno comes from there?

As posted earlier F 13 is pretty consistent in putting out the pearl pheno...I believe it's the Thai genetics I've run F13 a couple of times from seed and have seen the pearl pheno more consistently than a regular looking plant.

That is so cool, you've had several cultivars, I am jelaous. Have you kept clones or a mother?

teide

Veteran
My opinion is that it’s from the OPT. Was one of the very first cuts I selfed. Found a couple of those in the s1. Never ran Panama though. And they weren’t spot on for the pheno that grinspoon throws out. But they were very similar.

Did you try to breed with the s1s, JetLife? I wonder if they transfer easily in a cross.

T

TakenByTheSky

I've grown quite a few of them, in my very honest opinion I believe it is some kind of s1 of an old Dutch haze.

The non pearl phenos have a lot in common with the very best dutch haze hybrids I've grown and smoked.

I've never gotten the Pearl pheno but the non pearl ones are definitely not pure sativa. I live in the North East USA and I can get grinspoon to finish outdoors here's and indoors it takes about 11 weeks.

The non pearl phenos are also the most common. Some of the non pearl phenos have been just ok, but I've gotten 2 that were excellent.

JetLife175

Veteran
Did you try to breed with the s1s, JetLife? I wonder if they transfer easily in a cross.

This was before i started crossing things together unfortunately. I don’t know how recessive or dominant the trait is. I was selfing all my cuts to preserve their genepools. There are no more seeds and the cut is long gone and not available in my circles anymore. I really regret losing it. Was a great Sativa. Not the best plant to grow but it was great smoke when done right.

Im'One

This is exciting. The pearl pheno is out there, and I want it in my collection. It will be great fun to play with for crosses, but I have no experience with it. I've read grow reports of Dr grinspoon. There are praises of the high and flavor, and there are reports of hemp-like comparisons. I wonder if these are different genotypes of just human factors: grow method, individual preferences/ physiology. It would be cool to get the pheno in a pure landrace, kind of cacthing the original genes for my personal growing. I don't know if that makes the offspring poorer potency-wise, like introgressing auto genes from a ruderalis when you could use a hybrid that has been refined in some way.
Maybe Dr. Grinspoon has a better expression in their line because it is a hybrid?

I kind of hope the genes are thai, it would be great if the pheno is South East Asian. I would be thrilled if it could show up in my Cambodian landrace seeds.
However, OPT has haze in it, could it be that the pheno comes from there?

That is so cool, you've had several cultivars, I am jelaous. Have you kept clones or a mother?

Check out

ACE seeds Urgham valley landrace

teide

Veteran
Im'One, yes, I've checked out the urgham valley, have been wanting to try it for some time! It seems to get enormous. 10-14 feet according to ACE. That is an inconvenient way for me to do a pheno hunt, haha.
I've only seen the ACE/rsc photos of it, never seen a grow. Are there any on this forum?

teide

Veteran
Happy times, yes I do see the tendency in quite a few haze photos. Foxtailing as well seems kind of similar. I wonder if the haze characteristics and foxtailing are different genetics than the grinspoon beads, though..

teide

Veteran
This is the old picture GWB is talking about

View Image

Now we're talking. F13 has purple thai in it. Dr. Grinspoon as well. The beads seem likely to come from there. Purple thai is chocolate thai x oaxacan? So the thai genes could be the common link, if the pheno shows in destroyer, which has meao thai in it.
Destroyer also has mexican parentage? Is that oaxacan, like in purple thai?

teide

Veteran
I've grown quite a few of them, in my very honest opinion I believe it is some kind of s1 of an old Dutch haze.

The non pearl phenos have a lot in common with the very best dutch haze hybrids I've grown and smoked.

I've never gotten the Pearl pheno but the non pearl ones are definitely not pure sativa. I live in the North East USA and I can get grinspoon to finish outdoors here's and indoors it takes about 11 weeks.

The non pearl phenos are also the most common. Some of the non pearl phenos have been just ok, but I've gotten 2 that were excellent.

What do you mean specifically, have you grown quite a few of Dr.Grinspoon, and never gotten a pearly pheno?

You also think the pearly pheno might be from haze, takenbythesky? I've heard the rumour that Barneys bought a clone of a Nev Haze bagseed cultivar, but Reeferman states that Grinspoon is Senior Garcia..

Im'One

Im'One, yes, I've checked out the urgham valley, have been wanting to try it for some time! It seems to get enormous. 10-14 feet according to ACE. That is an inconvenient way for me to do a pheno hunt, haha.
I've only seen the ACE/rsc photos of it, never seen a grow. Are there any on this forum?

have never seen one...and if you want it better jump. Looks like only a few left. I wouldnt count on ever seeing an auto version either.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gringspoon is a Nevil Haze pheno from Amsterdam that was called gringspoon.
You can find similar phenos is Haze X's
I had a pheno of SSSDH from original release by Reservoir seeds that was very similar but buds were a bit bigger. Popcorn buds all the way along the plant, very vigorous growing and had the most spicy Frankincense taste and strong Sativa dom High.

Gringspoon was defo not senior Garcia from Reefer, maybe the seeds they sold were but 100% not the cut as I knew the guy who held the famous Nevil Haze( gringspoon) cut that they used to sell at Barneys and the guy used to work for Barneys as a bud tender.

T

TakenByTheSky

What do you mean specifically, have you grown quite a few of Dr.Grinspoon, and never gotten a pearly pheno?

You also think the pearly pheno might be from haze, takenbythesky? I've heard the rumour that Barneys bought a clone of a Nev Haze bagseed cultivar, but Reeferman states that Grinspoon is Senior Garcia..

I bought 2 10 packs of the original release and have grown a few from each pack, maybe 8 total. 2 were excellent like the finest dutch haze large calyxs, incense smell and taste, good yield fast finish.

The others were mediocre, hairier buds more of a lemon grass type scent did not have the bad appeal of the other 2.

All of them have grown pretty tame. No Pearl pheno yet so I'm assuming this one isn't the most common.

You know I've been following reefermans presense on the forums for a number of years, if you had followed his career at all you'd know he's been followed by a lot of controversy including germination problems, seeds sold under the wrong name, seeds sold under his name that were from him, taking credit for others accomplishments, renaming other people's work, etc..etc...for a long time he was followed by a very bad reputation. Now with all that said I don't want to start shit with him in any way just be mindful to take any claims he makes with a grain of salt.

There is a lot more to the story but I'm not going to get into it here.

teide

Veteran
I hear ya, takenbythesky.
I am open to the idea that the pearl pheno could come from haze lineage.
I guess ojd knows what he's taking about.
I might try various hazes and look for the pheno.
Or I might buy more grinspoon seeds and find the pheno there, and just assume that the pheno is from haze, and that grinspoon actually is a Neville's haze cut.

T

TakenByTheSky

My thoughts on this is that it is a freak expression within the cannabis species.

I've seen this type of pheno pop up in a few unrelated strains, just because we see it pop up does not necessarily mean it's because plants are of some close relation. That's like saying every purple plant you see must be related to blueberry. Grinspoon just seems to have a high percentage of plants that show this characteristic.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
If it wasn't a worldwide pandemic...I almost did a bank transfer to barneys...for Dr.Grindspoons haze..22 euros for 3 seeds after using code SPANNABIS.

Latest posts

Latest posts