What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Origin of beady/pearly bud pheno (Dr. Grinspoon, quaze)

teide

Veteran
Similar to paddis pheno of nh s1
Pictures are paddi's

Paddis pheno of nh s1 looks just like my grinspoon.
Thanks for all the convincing photos, guys!

Hopefully Charles Scott will upload photos soon of his comparison grow.
I want to see how much the grinspoon resembles his señor Garcia.
I will be Germinating the Senior Garcia and I was Given 2 packs of the Current Grinspoon offering from a friend in the UK .
I will run the Grinspoon Next to Senior Garcia

Last edited:

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I personally don’t think the pearl pheno is a genetic mutation at all and I don’t believe it is a “throwback” to one of that varieties distant ancestors either.

IMHO the difference is just too drastic from every other pheno that emerges from those seeds to be a “throwback”.

It doesn’t follow any Mendelian rule of inheritance that I’m aware of so, I don’t see how it could possibly be a genetic mutation.

I think that if it were indeed a genetic mutation that was responsible for it, I would expect it to show up much more often than it does.

I think the cause is exactly the same for both Dr.Grinspoon and the plant I and many others believe to its mother….Quaze.

Inbreeding depression.

Outcross Dr.Grinspoon and I’d bet good money that the pearl pheno would be forever gone, that is until someone selfed the shit out of a pheno again.

I could very easily be completely wrong too, so, take this with a few grains of salt amigos.

According to Derry from Barney's Farm, the genetics are based on a landrace strain from Laos: https://www.weedworldmagazine.org/2022/08/22/barneys-farm-strain-story-the-miraculous-dr-grinspoon/
Yes, the plant behind this fine specimen of a honourable herbal doctor is 100% sativa! Which is endemic to Laos – Derry, the founder, owner and breeder of Barney’s Farm, discovered the genetics during his time in Laos and Thailand in the 1980s and brought some seeds to the Netherlands on his way back where he developed the strain through selective breeding.

More probably, though, he bought it from Sam.

See the Phylos data and how the Dr. Grinspoon specimen is closely related to the Laos strain Sam has (and to some Thais too): https://phylos.bio/sims/variety/PGTH-534238/purple-caper-seeds/dr-grinspoon

These morphological characteristics can be observed quite often in Lao plants.

A great example of this is the Lao landrace from Muang Sing (collected by Bodhi in 2014) which Khalifa Genetics has reproduced: https://khalifagenetics.com/product/lao-highland-jungle-sativa/

Last edited:

vinrusso

According to Derry from Barney's Farm, the genetics are based on a landrace strain from Laos: https://www.weedworldmagazine.org/2022/08/22/barneys-farm-strain-story-the-miraculous-dr-grinspoon/

More probably, though, he bought it from Sam.

See the Phylos data and how the Dr. Grinspoon specimen is closely related to the Laos strain Sam has (and to some Thais too): https://phylos.bio/sims/variety/PGTH-534238/purple-caper-seeds/dr-grinspoon

These morphological characteristics can be observed quite often in Lao plants.

A great example of this is the Lao landrace from Muang Sing (collected by Bodhi in 2014) which Khalifa Genetics has reproduced: https://khalifagenetics.com/product/lao-highland-jungle-sativa/
I personally don't think Barney's is on the up and up with the Grinspoon story. The pre 2019 Grinspoon is not the same as this current version.

*GROWHIGH*

Veteran
dont think i recall seeing any true 'quaze' phenos posted on the forum from recent seeds ..altho its a beautiful sativa ..maybe the 'advancement' of the genetics has repressed that pheno ..i think the old seeds where a s1 . were as the modern seeds could be sister s1 x s1 or even something added

i grew the old grinspoon back in the day

I personally don't think Barney's is on the up and up with the Grinspoon story. The pre 2019 Grinspoon is not the same as this current version.
Interesting. Now that I've looked at some old pictures of the strain, I can tell the usual morphological characteristics of the plants definitely looked different at that time, compared to the version they have now.

The phyllotaxy and the size and shape of the style-stigma parts differ considerably, and I definitely wouldn't think of them as being related.

I'm pretty sure it's the (extremely homozygous) Laos now, but maybe it was the Senor Garcia before that.

Maybe they just ran out of seeds they got from Reeferman, and couldn't reproduce it in quantity, so they just went and bought off a huge batch of the Laos strain from someone. We all know how it is with these seed banks...

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
No Quaze in Destroyer, and I just got 2 pearl phenos I harvested not long ago. Also when it rains it pours, I found a seed in my favorite HolyHanh and it is also a pearl pheno, still growing.
IMG_3051.jpeg
IMG_3060.jpeg

HolyHanh s1? Already starting to show resin coating on leaves, stems, flowers.
IMG_3118.jpeg

*GROWHIGH*

Veteran
No Quaze in Destroyer, and I just got 2 pearl phenos I harvested not long ago. Also when it rains it pours, I found a seed in my favorite HolyHanh and it is also a pearl pheno, still growing.
View attachment 18788432 View attachment 18788433
HolyHanh s1? Already starting to show resin coating on leaves, stems, flowers.
View attachment 18788435
that destroyer pheno is a beauty ....be very interested to hear how she smokes.....multiple sources report destroyer throwing out those phenos..it wouldn't even surprise me if the 'quaze' bag seed had destroyer origins

teide

Veteran
That is a wonderful plant!
I would love to see that trait stabilized. I would self the living daylights out of that plant, it looks fantastic!

*GROWHIGH*

Veteran
Smoke is outstanding. One is sweet and slightly fuely and the other is lemon, fuel, terpinolene. High is euphoric, long lasting. Grow and smoke, one shot deal.
View attachment 18789000
Took some cuts from this one though, hope she is as good. She is way greasier at 8 weeks than the Destroyer phenos were.
View attachment 18789001
sounds like some beautiful smoke, where the destroyer seeds from a recent release. What's the genetics on the holyhanh s1....she sure is looking greasy for 8 weeks

OldCoolSativa

Clearly the pearl pheno is a sativa trait not associated with Indica plants.

Given the vigor shown by many pearl pheno plants, I would rule out inbreeding depression as an origin. As usual, Occam's Razor leads us to conclude that the simplest explanation is also probably the correct one: the pearl pheno doesn't show up often nowadays because it is associated with extremely low yield and long flowering time, two traits that nearly all breeders in the past selected away from.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
where the destroyer seeds from a recent release. What's the genetics on the holyhanh s1.
A good friend gave me some Destroyer seeds he made.
HolyHanh is a Haze A/CxLieuHanh that plant is from a seed I found in my favorite HH smoke.
Clearly the pearl pheno is a sativa trait not associated with Indica plants.
Rudimentary Narrow Leaf Drug plant.

*GROWHIGH*

Veteran
Isn't it pretty certain that grinspoon IS señor garcia, considering that reef was the breeder for barney's farm?
well that's one theory....another is 'quaze',....quaze was/is a IC member who many years ago posted several pics of a very interesting bag seed find...those pics have been removed from the site but it was a classic Perl pheno, same as pics used by barneys farm.........story goes barney acquired it from him and released the seed,..and i think this got corroborate by other ic mag member's in the know ......but then again,.. some people say its a stand out nev's haze pheno ....so its anyones guess ...i guess lol

Cerebralfluid

well that's one theory....another is 'quaze',....quaze was/is a IC member who many years ago posted several pics of a very interesting bag seed find...those pics have been removed from the site but it was a classic Perl pheno, same as pics used by barneys farm.........story goes barney acquired it from him and released the seed,..and i think this got corroborate by other ic mag member's in the know ......but then again,.. some people say its a stand out nev's haze pheno ....so its anyones guess ...i guess lol
Reef has also said before that they made him change the name of a number of his varieties, it seems extremely likely that it came from him, especially considering that barney did not and likely still does not produce his own seeds

Latest posts

Latest posts