What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Origin of beady/pearly bud pheno (Dr. Grinspoon, quaze)

Jammal

I had a few of these phenos in juicy fruit seeds from Sensi but this was back around
2000/2001.
I didnt see any benefit to those phenos back then. (And now if I'm honest)
The smoke was a proper Thai/sativa blasting.
Straight up to the moon.
Super trippy, great colour inhancement
Can be creative if you can handle the power.
Terps where almost erotic.
Very complex a blend of
Thai and juicy fruit bubblegum aromas.
If I remember correctly there where 3 bead phenos and the rest ,5/6 phenos where much better yielding with virtually the same high.
(From the Afghan in the cross.
Thai X Afghan if you didn't know.

This was as good or better than the G bud that was going around at the same time.
Not seen it since.

Most of today's youth could not handle this stuff.
Which will really do ya noggin if you let it.
Mind you I don't think they would buy it either
As they have never seen proper sativa herb.

Sensi Juicy Fruit is a often overlooked great bud from the 90's monster yields of the stickiest of the icky, reeks of tropical paradise.

teide

Veteran
Can it show up in an auto?

Asked in my opening post.

It took only 56 posts before an autoflowering bud pheno emerged.
This is exciting for me, that means it is theoretically possible to get decent pearl foxtails in an auto, you proved that, cannared.
Thanks, this gives me hope that I might be able to achieve similar buds in my own crosses.

teide

Veteran
Hmm, I thought Alice was mostly african genes?
Interesting, I know that Ghana from Cannabiogen has a true wheat like pheno. So yeah, I guess sativa landraces from all continents have this kind of bud pheno. The common denominator is sativa landrace.
Sounds like rhe pearl pheno is a throw back. A genetic archaic phenotype that randomly shows up in different strains because of a distant ancestral type

Guess you are on to something there.

teide

Veteran
How cool though that it also shows up in autos!
Must be a really rare thing in autos. And where did it come from in cannared's auto zkittlez? Landrace must be way back in that lineage..

I just found a photo of a similar pheno in yet another auto, this time dr.feelgood from short stuff. A true wheat like pheno. Interesting. Don't know if there is any sativa landrace in the lineage of dr. Feelgood, it is definitely regarded as an indica leaning strain.
picture.php

picture.php

teide

Veteran
Nice info, clearheaded. I would like to see more photos of pearl/wheat phenos in autos and ruderalis.
Makes sense that the pheno comes from ruderalis, as that can also be regarded somewhat as a landrace, no, in regards to having quite pure and little worked genetics.

teide

Veteran
Looks a lot like my grinspoon, cannared. Not a pearl string pheno, but still quite single-calyxy.
picture.php

picture.php

Just goes to show that the original dr grinspoon might very well be a haze.

Last edited:

MisterObscure

Looks a lot like my grinspoon, cannared. Not a pearl string pheno, but still quite single-calyxy.
View Image
View Image
Just goes to show that the original dr grinspoon might very well be a haze.
Barneys Grinspoons look like wheat. It isn't like cane pixie stick calyx. I think their display photo was from the original creators grow not from any of the seeds they released.

For sake of convo I heard the "original G Spoon" it is a Neville Haze. But then again the orignal Gspoon isn't really what it seems. The more u look the less makes sense. Sounds like Barneys' took an amazing strain and ran seeds like a lot of others

sbeanonnamellow

I had a few of these phenos in juicy fruit seeds from Sensi but this was back around
2000/2001.
I didnt see any benefit to those phenos back then. (And now if I'm honest)
The smoke was a proper Thai/sativa blasting.
Straight up to the moon.
Super trippy, great colour inhancement
Can be creative if you can handle the power.
Terps where almost erotic.
Very complex a blend of
Thai and juicy fruit bubblegum aromas.
If I remember correctly there where 3 bead phenos and the rest ,5/6 phenos where much better yielding with virtually the same high.
(From the Afghan in the cross.
Thai X Afghan if you didn't know.

This was as good or better than the G bud that was going around at the same time.
Not seen it since.

Most of today's youth could not handle this stuff.
Which will really do ya noggin if you let it.
Mind you I don't think they would buy it either
As they have never seen proper sativa herb.

Good stuff bro appreciate the lineage bits and pieces. Thai x afghan, nice. I read somewhere that Mothers Finest is related somehow by way of a mother? Does anyone know if those lines share parents at all, I'm guessing the thai if the mother side? Much love

Thesearch

Without a doubt Barney's farm is rather infamous for taking other peoples' genetics and doing runs of them. A lot of Reeferman's claims about Barney are speculative, but others, like the pink kush, are pretty obvious. where did that charles scott quote come from?
Ace also sells a strain called malari that looked promising for this. been meaning to say something for a minute, they just rereleased it.
If I had to guess, I would say that since there is an even longer known history to cannabis being used for fibre then as a drug/medicine, that it is either from interbreeding with strictly fibre producing varieties, or is the result of coselection, as many cultivated landraces in their indigenous areas are known to be grown for multiple purposes including for use of fibre and resin.
Stoked to see how this turns out, would love to fill some hills with these strains. If you get an early flowering pearl pheno with odd leaves, it should not only be incredibly discrete, but it will also be virtually mold free no matter where it is grown, especially with freakshow leaves, as opposed to the abc/subterfuge. could honestly landrace here very quickly if it was allowed ;)

TheDarkStorm

Interested in the genetics of the mutant pheno found in Senor Garcia /Dr. Grinspoon line. What is the origin of this pheno? Read on a grinspoon thread here that some suspect the grinspoon genetics have been changed by Barneys, as they find more indica and no beads in the current seeds.
If recent Grinspoon no longer contains the genes for the beads on a string-pheno, where else can I find it? Has anyone seen it in Oregon Purple Thai or in any Panama strains? Maybe other Thais? I've heard the same pheno has occured in a cbg destroyer. Also in a few other sativas that I forgot the names of.
Can it show up in an auto? Like my auto desfran seeds?
For those who have found the pheno, does it survive as a mother after reveg or cloning, or does it change with age?
Will the pheno be passed on in seeds from a pearly bud reversed with sts?
Does anyone keep a pearly bud pheno as a mother, or have you all just grown it out once and not been bothered to keep it, due to the long flowering an bismal yield?

Heres one similar..Neville haze hybrid called alaskan ice

Attachments

• user76339_pic610170_1298417197 (1).jpg
    user76339_pic610170_1298417197 (1).jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 58

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Similar to paddis pheno of nh s1
Pictures are paddi's

Mine is going on 19 weeks now. I didn't do a good job keeping her happy. She's kinda golden brown on the insides and still green and white pistils on the outside. Massive plant
picture.php

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Mine is going on 18 weeks now. I didn't do a good job keeping her happy. She's kinda golden brown on the insides and still green and white pistils on the outside. Massive plant

That sounds just like my Dr G. I cut at wk 24 of flowering & it still wasn't mature. I made some incredible bubble hash with a bunch. Very low yield but a great high. I still have a lb of cured bud that I will probably bubble.