What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

organic natural hippie or chemical pumping freak?

hey guys want to start a thread that would get a lot of input and even a few friendly debates.. everyone has different oppinions so lets remember to respect that..

so the question is are you a organic person? or a chemical pumping freak? and why?

me im a chemical pumping freak, i'll use organic pesticides and from my understanding house & gardens roots excellarator is organic so i wont knock back anything that is organic if its good. but there are very few organic products i'll agree with.

i think a part of my reasoning is my dislike for hippies and there ways..
silly i know but hey just the way i am..
and i also have a theory that chemically things can be figured out more precise.
plus anyone ive seen growing organic never looks quite as big or even the finished product isnt as frosty..
in saying this i do flush my plants very very well..
so to be honest i probaly dont have the best reasons to be on the chemical side and so against organic and thats why ive asked for everyones input and there reason..

outdoors i do use cow manure and "potting mix" mixed with a lot of coco coir perlite and maybe a tad of vermiculite..

i also on the occasion use a product called seasol which is a seaweed concentrate and is organic..

so after writing all this and realsing 1/4 of my stuff is organic i feel a little silly. ha ha anyway still think this is a good thread and could get quite big and be a pool of knowledge for both the organic and chemical growers.. thanks guys..

The new wave of soil science is here. The experts now say that by growing organic you create a living soil that contains microbes that will help a plant fight off insect and disease attacks. Chemical fertilizers destroy beneficial microbial life. The relationships that exist between a plant's roots and microbial life are fascinating. A happy organic soil has lots of trace minerals that make for happy microbes. Organic is the way my friend.:)

9355037_orig_1.jpg

hey guys want to start a thread that would get a lot of input and even a few friendly debates.. everyone has different oppinions so lets remember to respect that..

so the question is are you a organic person? or a chemical pumping freak? and why?

me im a chemical pumping freak, i'll use organic pesticides and from my understanding house & gardens roots excellarator is organic so i wont knock back anything that is organic if its good. but there are very few organic products i'll agree with.

i think a part of my reasoning is my dislike for hippies and there ways..
silly i know but hey just the way i am..
and i also have a theory that chemically things can be figured out more precise.
plus anyone ive seen growing organic never looks quite as big or even the finished product isnt as frosty..
in saying this i do flush my plants very very well..
so to be honest i probaly dont have the best reasons to be on the chemical side and so against organic and thats why ive asked for everyones input and there reason..

outdoors i do use cow manure and "potting mix" mixed with a lot of coco coir perlite and maybe a tad of vermiculite..

i also on the occasion use a product called seasol which is a seaweed concentrate and is organic..

so after writing all this and realsing 1/4 of my stuff is organic i feel a little silly. ha ha anyway still think this is a good thread and could get quite big and be a pool of knowledge for both the organic and chemical growers.. thanks guys..

Last edited:
hmm interesting and i love the diagram pic.. thats awesome.. and there are so many organic growers out there.. so i guess there must be a reason.. thanks for the input there mate.

You're welcome. Keep in mind there are people who say that they can't taste the difference between organic grows and grows with synthetic nutrients. Have a nice night. :wave:

hmm interesting and i love the diagram pic.. thats awesome.. and there are so many organic growers out there.. so i guess there must be a reason.. thanks for the input there mate.

yeah tangie i would say ive grown tastier with synthetic than say a mate with the same cutting has grown organic. but then again thats indoor vs outdoor so a whole other ball park there i guess..

Limolax

3rd world country problems

3rd world country problems

Hi. I am anew grower. I don't have much knowledge and experiance to contribute. But I ve chosen organic due to limitation in materials. I am not an organic freak. I would've preferred to go hydroponic or airiponoc with chemical fertelizers for max yield and being easyer. Just read the charts and add the right amount of what needs to be added. Some people say they like the taste and aroma of organics better. But one thing about organic growing is that you use simple materials found in any village anywhere in the world. After all it's mostly animal poop and composted food waste. So availability is one important thing with organics.
Those materials have been available to mankind fo 1000s of years. But chemicals are new. I can get 80 to 90 % of the organic materials u guys use in the States and Europe. But with chemicals it's different. I might be able to get 10% of all the stuff u have access to over there.
This might not concern most of you guys since its a 3rd world country problem ;)
Organic is also more forgiving IMO. Way harder to burn your plants with too much food comparing to chemicals. Or with real soil it's way harder to kill your plants due to under watering comparing to soilless mediums like rockwool ( rockwool is one of those things I can't get over here along with rockwool specific fertelizer or any soilless medium specific fertelizer )
Anyways, that was my opinion about organics. I do love to learn more about organic grow and microbial life in the soil. Very very intresting

ha ha thanks limolax for your third world country comment there. love it.. and i do understand of course some people with restrictions to syntheic nutrients would have to go towards organic.. and do agree with your point on not getting burn from natural soils and such.. i do find the microbial life interesting aswell but worry about living things in my medium.. thanks for your input and info there mate..

mojave green why do you believe its a myth? could you out any links to anything that may back it up being a myth? thanks mate

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I have never bothered trying chemicals. None of it made sense to me. You have to get pH meters, ppm/EC meters, pH up and down, and a host of high priced bottles. Then you struggle to hone in and ride that fine line of giving the plant what it needs and not burning them. Then at the end you have to worry about tapering food off at the same time and/or flushing. DON'T get me wrong, not on a soapbox here. I think the important thing is to find a system that you like and works for you. I just like providing what the beneficials and microbes want and let them and the plant do the rest. Just seemed so much easier to me. This run with my glues is a prime example. This has been the easiest and hands free run for me so far.

I have never bothered trying chemicals. None of it made sense to me. You have to get pH meters, ppm/EC meters, pH up and down, and a host of high priced bottles. Then you struggle to hone in and ride that fine line of giving the plant what it needs and not burning them. Then at the end you have to worry about tapering food off at the same time and/or flushing. DON'T get me wrong, not on a soapbox here. I think the important thing is to find a system that you like and works for you. I just like providing what the beneficials and microbes want and let them and the plant do the rest. Just seemed so much easier to me. This run with my glues is a prime example. This has been the easiest and hands free run for me so far.

oh you got glue going.. im a bit jealous.. thanks heaps for the input mate and looks to be going more towards the organic on this thread so far.. as im not to educated on organic please excuse me for asking but you dont have to worry about ph levels?

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Im no hippie, but I do organics in the mom room, I clone/flower in chem dwc.
Theres pros and cons for any medium. Just my .02$

Yes of course you have to keep ph levels in check on organics. However, you build your mix to include whats needed to balance ph levels out of the gate. Sure , its expensive collecting this bat turd and that bird poo, and the other fish emulsions , but its gonna work out over time vs chem nutes. and its not a black and whte thing as you've made it out to be imho. its all the same thing - growing a flower. go with what feels right for your style.

X

xavier7995

I am running an experiment on myself to see what I prefer. I had always been a soil guy, then I went organic soil and really did think it was pretty sweet as a method....but i freaking hate bugs. Mostly thinking of pests, but sorry beneficial critters, you get lumped in there as well. So now I am running coco with chem ferts. So far I like it, but it is not nearly as relaxing as growing with organics, lots of checking to make sure all my levels are right, worrying over every leaf trying to figure out what nute is too high or too low. However, I have seen really good veg growth this time around, kind of caught be off guard and i overfilled my area.

TBH, I am thinking I might go back to dirt and organics now that I know a bit more on pest control. Wish I was doing side by sides with the same strain, but i guess it doesn't matter that much when just comparing methods as a whole.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
mostly organic... being able to gather up some of the stuff I need from nature kicks ass...my wormfarms kick ass.......yeehaw..the weed aint bad either..NOT A HIPPIE me and cartman agree

Im no hippie, but I do organics in the mom room, I clone/flower in chem dwc.
Theres pros and cons for any medium. Just my .02$

Yes of course you have to keep ph levels in check on organics. However, you build your mix to include whats needed to balance ph levels out of the gate. Sure , its expensive collecting this bat turd and that bird poo, and the other fish emulsions , but its gonna work out over time vs chem nutes. and its not a black and whte thing as you've made it out to be imho. its all the same thing - growing a flower. go with what feels right for your style.

nice one thanks mate.. is lime something thats used in organics to balance ph levels?

I am running an experiment on myself to see what I prefer. I had always been a soil guy, then I went organic soil and really did think it was pretty sweet as a method....but i freaking hate bugs. Mostly thinking of pests, but sorry beneficial critters, you get lumped in there as well. So now I am running coco with chem ferts. So far I like it, but it is not nearly as relaxing as growing with organics, lots of checking to make sure all my levels are right, worrying over every leaf trying to figure out what nute is too high or too low. However, I have seen really good veg growth this time around, kind of caught be off guard and i overfilled my area.

TBH, I am thinking I might go back to dirt and organics now that I know a bit more on pest control. Wish I was doing side by sides with the same strain, but i guess it doesn't matter that much when just comparing methods as a whole.

thanks mate appreciate the input from someone who has tried both of these out. and yeah i sketch way to much about pests. even though i use a organic pesticide i dont like spaying anything after 2 weeks of flowering.. and also the worry of checking them all the time and worrying about deficiencies and such..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I do miss my seaweed...aint near the ocean no more.......yeehaw..being able to gather a lot of your plants needs kicks ass.. you learn a lot and get more in touch with mother nature..yeehaw..I used to hate dandelions sp? (the weeds with yellow flower) till I seen their nute profile and now I compost them or add to wormbins...