What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

Hank64

Interesting. Didn't that Ivan Bocsa hemp guru say that there is no hemp without THC?

I am sure there is some. No THC showed up in the "early" test. We have more test to run.
I am pretty dam sure they is not much.
And yes some hemp have no THC and CBD. Or so little on both sides that it is pretty much nothing.

Kaspi

Here are some pictures of different seed samples from IPK Gatersleben of Slovakia,Argentina,North Korea, Georgia and China https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=54457&pictureid=1270811View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=54457&pictureid=1270819View Image

Hello Azaghal, I am new to this forum and was looking for some information about landrace from Caucasus, when I found this post of yours, and since I am from Georgia, I am very interested to ask you:

Did you grow those Georgian strains? Where they potent? Because there are actually various landraces in Georgia, some grow wild, and don't have much THC, while some have a tradition of cultivation and are quite potent - so I would like to know which of these two kinds do these Institutes possess :D

Thanks in Advance,

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
It's from the intermediary type and of rather low potency (according to published data). I was in a hurry to produce some seeds and hence hadn't anything to try. Coupled with an accident, the final 'product' looked unworthy... but that was okay, especially because growing hemp indoors isn't the wisest idea. It remained shorter than the Italian and Turkish hemp varieties and had pretty broad leaflets; check out my photo album (I stopped posting pics somewhere in mid grow, sorry ;( ).

Azaghal

Veteran
Hello Kaspi,

Welcome to IC Mag !
It is interesting to hear that there is a variety of Georgian Cannabis.

Did you grow those Georgian strains? Where they potent? Because there are actually various landraces in Georgia, some grow wild, and don't have much THC, while some have a tradition of cultivation and are quite potent - so I would like to know which of these two kinds do these Institutes possess

Well, I grew one single plant outdoors from a single seed of accession "CAN 22" out of curiosity more than 5 years ago, so this was by no means a good or significant representation of this variety.
The rest of the seeds is still stashed away in an airtight container inside my fridge.

The seed was germinated around August I think and the resulting plant showed both male and female florescences at the beginning of the flowering phase, maybe due to the late germination date.
Nevertheless it is listed as dioecious.

The intersex expression was the reason why I discarded the plant so I can not tell you anything about the potency, sorry about that.
The place of origin is the Khevsureti region of the greater Caucasus near the village of Shatili if I remember correctly.

I do not really know if you would consider it feral or cultivated.
An interesting hint might be, that this variety is classified as
" Cannabis sativa L. subsp. spontanea Serebr. " and therefore might be also described as a NLHA plant or something similar ?

Robert Connell Clarke describes this taxonomic concept in his book
" Cannabis : Evoution and Ethnobotany " where the Caucasus/Black Sea region played an important role as one of the two glacial refuges together with the Yungui Plateau/ Hengduan Mountains for Cannabis.

The Caucasus/Black Sea Region was in this scenario the hideaway for the NLHA/NLH population of Cannabis.

There are 3 videos where this is explained in more detail, especially in part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmgbvv8NEaU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEpBayB0n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVsRG2DuIvk

I hope I could help you a bit in search for information, Kaspi

@ Only Ornamental:
It is commendable that you took the time and effort to reproduce this strain(s). It is a clear sign of your dedication !

Cheers

Last edited:

Kaspi

Wow! Thanks for this immense information!
The part 2 was very interesting and enlightening!!

I shall use this system of Robert Clarke to describe Georgian landraces that I will study.

I also looked up for those CAN22 seeds from Shatili and then for this "Cannabis sativa L. subsp. spontanea Serebr." which according to this website is another name for Cannabis Ruderalis, which I have seen here a lot, they grow wild in dry fields and we hunt them for cooking a local version of Bhang :D

Does the H in NLH stand for hemp? If yes, than I wouldn't necessarily call these auto-flowering dwarfs hemp, 'cause they are too short to be used as fiber, there are other landrace varieties here, that grow in wild but look to have been cultivated in older times, some are potent, some are not (Bhang-material again), and most of them are narrow-leafed, but never close to what can be described as Ruderalis, or spontanea Serebrjakova, this latter ones seem to have never been touched by breeders.

So, if that spontanea Serebr. of yours is just a Ruderalis plant, than this means it would have never grown, nor got you high, it's just a good cross-breeding material to achieve fast-growing, auto-flowering and generally tough qualities =D

If you are interested, I have seeds of this NL dwarf that I described, not from the highland like Shatili, but from lowland and from last summer, can send them to you if wanted, I personally wait for the Spring to come so that experiment with cross-breeding between high-CBD strains and this NL dwarf, want to breed a fast-growing THC-impotent but high in CBD medical strain :)

Only Ornamental

Veteran
The seed was germinated around August I think and the resulting plant showed both male and female florescences at the beginning of the flowering phase, maybe due to the late germination date.
Nevertheless it is listed as dioecious.

The intersex expression was the reason why I discarded the plant so I can not tell you anything about the potency, sorry about that.
The place of origin is the Khevsureti region of the greater Caucasus near the village of Shatili if I remember correctly.
" Cannabis sativa L. subsp. spontanea Serebr. "
@ On
ly Ornamental:
It is commendable that you took the time and effort to reproduce this strain(s). It is a clear sign of your dedication !
The female I had also showed some hermaphroditic traits; I blamed the indoor environment but now that you mention it too... ;( Generally, the IPK does list varieties with a tendency towards "hermies" as subdioecious.
Where did you get the info regarding the place of collection? This is very interesting and I'd love to get that info on the other accessions I have too!

If the IPK calls it "spontanea" it means that it's from a ruderal/wild accession and not a variety being cultivated. However, it doesn't mean it wasn't cultivated at one point ;) .
I'm not sure if CAN22 is a narrow leaflet or broad leaflet biotype. Looks too broad for the NLH but too narrow for a BLH. Compare with the pictures of a typical NLH (CAN16) and a most likely BLH/BLD (CAN57).

I didn't really reproduce the varieties yet. The grow was meant for it but being my first indoor hemp run and with a bunch of very different varieties I encountered certain problems including very different flowering times between males and females of certain varieties, way too late flowering, horrible stretch (who would have guessed LoL), some varieties only gave one or the other sex, and then there were those aphids too... well, the usual troubles if you're in a hurry to get a few seeds and have other more important priorities coming up. A clean reproduction is planned for later. The CAN22 due it's very unique leaf/leaflet shape is in the top ten.

Attachments

• CAN 22 Leaf.jpg
    CAN 22 Leaf.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 17
  • CAN 16 Leaf.jpg
    CAN 16 Leaf.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 26
  • CAN 57 Leaf.jpg
    CAN 57 Leaf.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 21

Azaghal

Veteran
Hi :tiphat: ,

I personally wait for the Spring to come so that experiment with cross-breeding between high-CBD strains and this NL dwarf, want to breed a fast-growing THC-impotent but high in CBD medical strain

@Kaspi
That sounds like an interesting, novel and worthwhile idea. If I get your idea right, this would be probably something similar to a CBD-rich Autoflowering ?
Best of luck for your project in the future. It is also nice to hear first hand information about Georgian cannabis. Thanks !

Where did you get the info regarding the place of collection? This is very interesting and I'd love to get that info on the other accessions I have too!

"Sammelort : Rayon Duseti, Chevsuretien, Viehkral ca. 5 km S von Satili "

Cheers

Last edited:

Kaspi

5 kilometres from Shatili is almost already Chechnya, because Shatili is already on the northern slope of the Great Caucasus (99% of Georgia being in the South) which makes it literally North Caucasus, just some kilometres away from Chechnya - so this spontanea Serebrjakova is a sample from (geographically speaking) North Caucasus, from the doorstep of Chechen highland.

As for their inter-sexuality, I have never come upon anything like when collecting feral hemp for cooking purposes.

Again, if wanted, I have some other spontanea, or wild-growing shrub seeds, that I can send to you, collected close to a town the name of which I took as my forum-name here, Kaskpi =D

And this is Shatili historical village:

ic
884016b31fd4196b1b7d0bc1b77814eb.jpg

While this is some kilometres South from it, where according to CAN22 description it was picked:

8x1m6x.jpg

ic

hempgrower

Hi,

i would buy Seed at IPK Gatersleben, but the problem is i have to buy it in Germany.

What is better to choose at "Edit account" and "User group": "Unknown", "Other" or "Person"?

If i order something, i have to choose at "Intended usage (required)" the intented usage
"Please select the intended usage from the list"
and a few Words as comment
"Please give us a brief comment why you place these order".

What is better to choose at Intended usage: "Other use" or "Private use"
and what can i say to the IPK as comment why i place these order?

I cannot say in the comment to the IPK i would grow this Seed in Germany
because growing without permission is illegal.

Thanks for Answers.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Are you expecting from us to give you public advice on illegal doings? :D
Everyone who got seeds from there is officially contract bound (like that would count much here LoL) but most of all, such a great service shouldn't be pushed too hard over the limits... not that they shut it down cause of us! A simple Google search for their hemp accessions quickly leads to this pages and it's maybe just a matter of time until...
Seriously, get your post count up to 50 and ask this sort of questions via PM if they haven't been answered already in here ;) .

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I got 3 kg of finola on eBay for $35.00 shipped from.... I think Lithuania. It's very quick to germ. The birds won't shut up!!

oldchuck

Veteran
Great to see you keeping the thread alive Thule. Is the Chinese variety a hemp for fiber or combined seed and fiber?

Maybe I should post a few of my own current Finola crosses.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
It certainly is a seed variety but I would guess they use the fiber as well, these can really stretch given the opportunity. I bought the seeds from an organic food shop, they were massive. The variety is very late flowering (comparable to north Indian rather than Afghan) so could very well be from Yunnan. I saw it necessary to back cross to finola, some should still carry the big seed trait which I want to select for.

oldchuck

Veteran
It certainly is a seed variety but I would guess they use the fiber as well, these can really stretch given the opportunity. I bought the seeds from an organic food shop, they were massive. The variety is very late flowering (comparable to north Indian rather than Afghan) so could very well be from Yunnan. I saw it necessary to back cross to finola, some should still carry the big seed trait which I want to select for.

I'm wondering about the stems with the cross. I'm seeing the Finola with a weak stalk, relatively. Will the tall Chinese serve to strengthen the Finola stem? My own crosses seem to show that happening to some extent. Also flowering time. Late Chinese, early Finola should end up somewhere in the middle, right? My own crosses this year so far are not yet flowering or showing sex.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I'm wondering about the stems with the cross. I'm seeing the Finola with a weak stalk, relatively. Will the tall Chinese serve to strengthen the Finola stem? My own crosses seem to show that happening to some extent. Also flowering time. Late Chinese, early Finola should end up somewhere in the middle, right? My own crosses this year so far are not yet flowering or showing sex.

I never perceived finola stalks as being particularly weak, they can take quite a beating and not snap. They're just not meant to carry a lot of weight so they stay thin. Did you mean the actual thickness of the stem?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Here's chinola with finola

The Chinese hybrid is more robust for sure. They haven't exactly been the center of my attention so I hope you'll excuse the appearance. The finola was pollinated by finola x pck by the way.