What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

vaccination???

G

For anyone planning a specific time-frame for vaccination, re. a specific event, from the CDC:

>>""How long will it take to build immunity after getting the COVID-19 vaccine?
It typically takes a few weeks for the body to build immunity after vaccination. That means it's possible a person could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 just before or just after vaccination and get sick. This is because the vaccine has not had enough time to provide protection.""<<

Seems that if I wanted to get vaxxed before my flights in mid-January, even IF vaccinations were available (and they may likely not be), there's a long enough delay until protection is provided that it nearly becomes moot in my case, at least as far as THAT specific exposure is involved..

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
The countries which did practice public health, and are now back to normal, had families which now enjoy things like ball games without a mortality rate one would expect in time of war.
Was there more tyranny in locking down tighter for a shorter period of time, as they did ?
Or was there more tyranny in lingering half steps that have now been going on for almost a year with conditions deteriorating, offering little hope for change with out a level of vaccine compliance that is no where in sight ?

interesting, tell me which countries are now back to normal?

redlaser

Veteran
Brother already got the vaccine, wife gets it Monday. Apparently a facility can order what they want within reason, without backing up the need with an actual head count. wife’s place is getting an extra 80-100 doses over their need, not sure where those will end up.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
i keep reading statements to the effect that if only there was more folks wearing masks, or social distancing, if only we locked down earlier, if only boogie would take it seriously :D, if only we didnt have boris, or trump, then covid would never have been a big deal. thats all bull shit, this is an air borne virus, it escapes your mask as soon as you spend longer with people in a closed space. this is one of those situations where we humans have to understand that we are not all powerful and the smallest thing can bring us down. not matter which moron sits atop the mountain. we swiss have a great logical sensible government and we still have some of the highest case numbers in the world right now. maybe the vaccine will help, but thats it, nothing else except warmer weather. a new leader certainly won't make any difference. as long as 1 person is spreading covid to more then 1 other you have an exponential problem. how many people live alone? how many in groups? thats the problem and it's impossible to solve without literally splitting families apart. yes closing restaurants, clubs and gyms will help, but the main driver is the family units and there is absolutely nothing you can do about that without bringing in tyranny worse then any covid could be.
Face masks reduce the risk of spreading large Covid-linked droplets when speaking or coughing by up to 99.9 percent:thank you:
Large respiratory droplets -- which act like projectiles before being pulled toward the ground by gravity -- are thought to be the main driver of SARS-CoV-2 transmission, he noted.
https://news.yahoo.com/masks-block-99-9-large-131416084.html

St. Phatty

Face masks reduce the risk of spreading large Covid-linked droplets when speaking or coughing by up to 99.9 percent:thank you:
Large respiratory droplets -- which act like projectiles before being pulled toward the ground by gravity -- are thought to be the main driver of SARS-CoV-2 transmission, he noted.

It would be helpful if the CDC could provide guidelines for

the age old practice of

Picking it and Flicking it. :groupwave:

Gry

Veteran
interesting, tell me which countries are now back to normal?
Back to normal was a less than optimal choice of words.
Countries which dealt with it more successfully, are back to having ball games again along with regular commerce etc- so to a large extent for their populations, things are much nearer to back to normal.
Wish that it could have worked that well for everyone. Recall having read of changes in the works as to how your
country is dealing with it, hope that it works out quickly and well. Am in LA, they speak of being out of hospital space here soon.
Heard an estimate that 50% of the local small businesses will not be able to reopen, the numbers rise with each passing week.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
how bout fruckin new zealand?

btw, hope you are safe, gry... sucks seeing places in california turning parking garages into covid wards, scary shit.

i am grateful i live in a small city at the foothills of appalachia... not out of the water, but luckily treading along without many rapids.

redlaser

Veteran
Taiwan went 253 days without a locally transmitted case until a couple days ago, they aren’t shutting down sporting events, but requiring masks and no standing areas at the events.
A pilot that frequented the U.S. didn’t follow protocol and infected a local, might get fined 8,000

G

There are MANY industrialized and less-developed nations that have SUBSTANTIALLY lesser negative impact from COVID-19, per capita, than the US has experienced.

Earlier on, Vietnam, S. Korea, Taiwan, New Zealand, parts of rural and NW Canada (more so up until recently), etc.

But there's also places that did REALLY well initially, and then got lax, and the numbers are exploding in some/many of those places.

The Yukon Territory held at 11 infections for MONTHS. Then it was 15. Still, many of those were folks who traveled and contracted the Virus in other places, but their claims for health care insurance were filed through Yukon Health, and they're recorded as Yukon Territory cases, even if they imported it.. Same with many other places.

As of yesterday, the Yukon is at 60 confirmed infections, with 1 (ONE) known dead.

When I headed to the Yukon Territory for emergency dental work on May 20, Alaska had 398 confirmed infections, and a pittance of related deaths. Today we have 40-some thousand confirmed infections/tests, and, I think, 90 dead.

We are creatures of comfort and habit to the extent that we sometimes undo ourselves, rather than change our way of being in order to adapt. The difference between the dinosaurs drawn on the cave walls, and the beings that drew them.

Gry

Veteran
how bout fruckin new zealand?

btw, hope you are safe, gry... sucks seeing places in california turning parking garages into covid wards, scary shit.

i am grateful i live in a small city at the foothills of appalachia... not out of the water, but luckily treading along without many rapids.
More than fortunate that other than my cats, I live by myself.
Blessed with access to N95 masks which I use with care.
Real fortunate that I am blessed by friends who
do look out for me, and help keep me going.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Most masks are pseudo security.When you keep those n95 to long, you will get brain damage, not notible directly, but afterwards you will notice.Some people keep them on for hours.
Most African countries just continue as normal as usual.

h.h.

Veteran
i keep reading statements to the effect that if only there was more folks wearing masks, or social distancing, if only we locked down earlier, if only boogie would take it seriously :D, if only we didnt have boris, or trump, then covid would never have been a big deal. thats all bull shit, this is an air borne virus, it escapes your mask as soon as you spend longer with people in a closed space. this is one of those situations where we humans have to understand that we are not all powerful and the smallest thing can bring us down. not matter which moron sits atop the mountain. we swiss have a great logical sensible government and we still have some of the highest case numbers in the world right now. maybe the vaccine will help, but thats it, nothing else except warmer weather. a new leader certainly won't make any difference. as long as 1 person is spreading covid to more then 1 other you have an exponential problem. how many people live alone? how many in groups? thats the problem and it's impossible to solve without literally splitting families apart. yes closing restaurants, clubs and gyms will help, but the main driver is the family units and there is absolutely nothing you can do about that without bringing in tyranny worse then any covid could be.

In a bad mood?

It is serious. We all need to do what we can. You’re not a helpless victim. We can determine our fate.

Yes it’s confusing. There is no clear answer. Humans are persistent. We keep trying, often succeeding.

Tyranny. You don’t know tyranny.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran

i never said masks don't have their use. if you read properly you will see that i was talking about prolonged use in a closed space. you can sit 2 meters appart in a small room for 5 mins wearing masks with an sick person, but if you stay for an hour, you will start to get exposed, thats why we are told to air out regularly.

Back to normal was a less than optimal choice of words.
Countries which dealt with it more successfully, are back to having ball games again along with regular commerce etc- so to a large extent for their populations, things are much nearer to back to normal.
Wish that it could have worked that well for everyone. Recall having read of changes in the works as to how your
country is dealing with it, hope that it works out quickly and well. Am in LA, they speak of being out of hospital space here soon.
Heard an estimate that 50% of the local small businesses will not be able to reopen, the numbers rise with each passing week.

truth is some countries got it delayed, but no one managed to contain it once it was in their borders. even China is now having a new surge of cases. we had it under control all spring and summer while everyone was going about normally, now everything is tight and masks are mandated and the numbers are still surging. eradicating covid is about as easy as eradicating the common flue. it can't be done untill a safe vaccine exists and then it will still be another year or so before enough people are vaccinated

There are MANY industrialized and less-developed nations that have SUBSTANTIALLY lesser negative impact from COVID-19, per capita, than the US has experienced.

Earlier on, Vietnam, S. Korea, Taiwan, New Zealand, parts of rural and NW Canada (more so up until recently), etc.

But there's also places that did REALLY well initially, and then got lax, and the numbers are exploding in some/many of those places.

The Yukon Territory held at 11 infections for MONTHS. Then it was 15. Still, many of those were folks who traveled and contracted the Virus in other places, but their claims for health care insurance were filed through Yukon Health, and they're recorded as Yukon Territory cases, even if they imported it.. Same with many other places.

As of yesterday, the Yukon is at 60 confirmed infections, with 1 (ONE) known dead.

When I headed to the Yukon Territory for emergency dental work on May 20, Alaska had 398 confirmed infections, and a pittance of related deaths. Today we have 40-some thousand confirmed infections/tests, and, I think, 90 dead.

We are creatures of comfort and habit to the extent that we sometimes undo ourselves, rather than change our way of being in order to adapt. The difference between the dinosaurs drawn on the cave walls, and the beings that drew them.

i think you will find that the only thing that helps is for everyone to stay in a bubble. as long as thats not enforced this thing will run its course, just like plagues have in the past, only then we had a 30 % chance of dying and now we have less then 1% chance of dying. but yeah we will go the way of the dinosaurs because of covid, lol

Gry

Veteran
i never said masks don't have their use. if you read properly you will see that i was talking about prolonged use in a closed space. you can sit 2 meters appart in a small room for 5 mins wearing masks with an sick person, but if you stay for an hour, you will start to get exposed, thats why we are told to air out regularly.

truth is some countries got it delayed, but no one managed to contain it once it was in their borders. even China is now having a new surge of cases. we had it under control all spring and summer while everyone was going about normally, now everything is tight and masks are mandated and the numbers are still surging. eradicating covid is about as easy as eradicating the common flue. it can't be done untill a safe vaccine exists and then it will still be another year or so before enough people are vaccinated

i think you will find that the only thing that helps is for everyone to stay in a bubble. as long as thats not enforced this thing will run its course, just like plagues have in the past, only then we had a 30 % chance of dying and now we have less then 1% chance of dying. but yeah we will go the way of the dinosaurs because of covid, lol
Not at all sure I think we will see this eliminated even with a vaccine, it may well be that we have to learn to live with it. I do expect that we will find that some of the vaccines available will offer better protection than others. Have to wonder if you have read any of the papers suggesting a linkage between the flu at the outset of WWI, with the advent of fascism ?

mowood3479

Veteran

This is spot on.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Not at all sure I think we will see this eliminated even with a vaccine, it may well be that we have to learn to live with it. I do expect that we will find that some of the vaccines available will offer better protection than others. Have to wonder if you have read any of the papers suggesting a linkage between the flu at the outset of WWI, with the advent of fascism ?

i have not read any of those papers, pls link.

i'm shocked to hear you doubting the vaccine to be honest lol. i thought that was strictly forbidden nowadays :D

except before the election, then all media were speculating how rushed this vaccine was and how we shouldn't trust trumps cdc, lmao. now anything against vaccines in general is scrubbed from the social programming monopolies. and saying there is no long term safety data is classed as fear mongering, LOL. we are now officially living in what ever came just before full blown idiocracy. when merely stating a true fact is somehow not valid.

h.h.

Veteran
i have not read any of those papers, pls link.

i'm shocked to hear you doubting the vaccine to be honest lol. i thought that was strictly forbidden nowadays :D

except before the election, then all media were speculating how rushed this vaccine was and how we shouldn't trust trumps cdc, lmao. now anything against vaccines in general is scrubbed from the social programming monopolies. and saying there is no long term safety data is classed as fear mongering, LOL. we are now officially living in what ever came just before full blown idiocracy. when merely stating a true fact is somehow not valid.

The media has nothing to do with it. Neither does trump. Or the trumpsters. Or the liberals. Nonsense used to distract.

The virus is real and has its own mind. We can beat it if we quit being purposely ignorant.

Latest posts

Latest posts