What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can't tell if you have root rot or the brown slime algae, come on in ?!

doneit

Veteran
Well bro, it could be a million things.

Do you have proper air pump for your water? are the temps in check?

paperchaser825

I just switched from my old add Floranova Bloom nutes I bought like 3 years ago to Spurr's 5/5/7/5/.5 nutrient profile. I added 1 thing which was the aquashield and I have new ghost white roots on my vegging clones that were suffering. Weird thing happened. I mixed all the nutes and put the clones back in the system (which is basically a one bucket dwc with 3 clones in it). Next day I look and there's this thick brown goo on my roots. Looks like someone put mud on them. Well, the "mud" is still there, but now there are ghost white roots sticking out of them and the roots seem to be absorbing the "mud" slowly but surely. I can only imagine how fantastic they would look if I ran the tea as well.

lonetoker

Well bro, it could be a million things.

Do you have proper air pump for your water? are the temps in check?

What Strain is it?
purple og#18(has the problem), cotton candy
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? both are hybrids and are indica dominant
How Many Plants? one of each
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? both are in veg
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? week 4
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?
n/a
Indoor or Outdoor?
indoor
Soil or Hydro?
hydro
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
5 gal
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
70-72
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
hydroton
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
dwc
If Soil... What is in your Mix? n/a
If Soil... What Size Pot? n/a
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?
cfls 26 watt 5000k 1600 lumens and a total of 12 lights
Is it Air Cooled?
no
Temperature of Room/Cabinet?
70-74
RH of Room/Cabinet?
55%
PH of Medium or Reservoir?
5.8-6.1
Any Pests? none
How Often are you Watering?
changing res every week
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?
half strength, technaflora nutes, plus voodoo juice and great white
Size or Square Footage of Room?
20"x36"x60"

i have one pump per rez which are 7.8/lpm with two stones as well

will have pictures up tomorrow.. and i really appreciate your reply

lonetoker

attachment.php
my tent and plants.. on the right id the pog#18 and the left is my cotton candy.
attachment.php
the roots of my pog#18

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 34
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 29
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 28

paperchaser825

2 things I see.

1: Those lights could me a good foot to a foot and a half closer, try getting them as close as possible. Easiest way to do this is to put your hand under the lights. As soon as you can't feel the heat, that is how far away you want your lights from the top of the plants.

2: Looks like you barely have any nutes in the soup. What is your EC?

PS: Might want to bring the nutrient level up higher as far as how much water is in the bucket. Low water levels cause cord roots.

lonetoker

2 things I see.

1: Those lights could me a good foot to a foot and a half closer, try getting them as close as possible. Easiest way to do this is to put your hand under the lights. As soon as you can't feel the heat, that is how far away you want your lights from the top of the plants.

2: Looks like you barely have any nutes in the soup. What is your EC?

PS: Might want to bring the nutrient level up higher as far as how much water is in the bucket. Low water levels cause cord roots.

1. i raised my lights to take the pic lol. they are usually about 10 inches away from the babies. i use a laser thermometer to see the temp of the leaves on top and its usually 76

2. my ppms are at 900 when i do a res change.. this week i didnt add b52 from A.N. because its brown and to make sure that wasnt dying my roots brown. but even with the water level down my ppms are at 650

3. today is actually my res change day. i do it once a week, and i toppped up yesterday to 4gallons she drank all that water yesterday. she has about 3 gallons in there

doneit

Veteran
Everything looks to be in check except the roots... i dont know enough to comment about the additives you are using?
What are your water temps? how big is your rez? a smaller rez will heat up much faster than a large one...

Im sure richy would have better insight on this than myself... i will just entertain you till he gets back.. lol

lonetoker

Everything looks to be in check except the roots... i dont know enough to comment about the additives you are using?
What are your water temps? how big is your rez? a smaller rez will heat up much faster than a large one...

Im sure richy would have better insight on this than myself... i will just entertain you till he gets back.. lol

lol.. i have voodoo juice and great white as my additives for now

70- 72 are my water temps and my res is 5 gallons.. i have my res somewhat insulated

doneit

Veteran
Those temps are very dangerous.. especially with summer coming.
I would go to atleast a 30 gallon rez, at 65 degrees. much easier to keep consistent temps, ppm, ph that way.

lonetoker

tell me about it.. i live in florida. i shouldve started this on in a 30gal but funds were really tight. i wouldve loved doing a 30 gal but my next grow for sure ill do a 30 gal.. these 5 gals are a majhor pain in the butt to keep kool. but before i had insulated i was having temps up to 76. yeah i know thats reallty really bad. my ph pretty much stays consistent, i only have to adjust when i top up my res.

doneit

Veteran
That small of a rez will become room temp withing a few hrs... water bottles can help, however it doesnt take long for the yuck to grow if you forget about the bottles one time.

lonetoker

im pretty good at not forgetting about my girls. i like to check on them 3 times a day. my temp problems are usually only when the lights are on at night the rez goes down to 67 by it self. im up before the lights come on so ill just work these frozen bottles into my schedule

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
I got carried away in my workshop and lab the last few days. I'm back now.

lonetoker,

Good news, I don't see any root infections. Bad news, you seem to have a system problem. I'll bet money your bucket levels are dropping fast everyday by the size of your girls and their thirst.

No root infections because your plants look healthy, good job. The roots that are dying back appear to be from drying out. That would happen when the water levels drop.

It always could be possible that you are in the beginning stages of a root infection, but that would be highly unlikely at the stage you are at in your grow if everything has been consistent.

The dark staining is from the flora nova most likely. It tends to look like a sludgy brownish mud. It usually gathers on the thicker strands of roots. Don't worry about it. The lighter browning of roots are the dried out dead and dying ones.

In dwc your plants will grow water roots which are used to being submerged in oxygenated water. When the water level drops the roots will start to change to air roots. When you bring the level back up you drown the air roots and you get roots like yours at the top. That up and down of the water level is killing your roots and can invite in root rot. Those dead roots will decompose and become organic food which is an invitation and a free buffet for all the nasties.

Two things: fix the water level issue. Keep the water level a couple of inched below the net pots. I see you don't have much room in the tent. You need to get crafty and get some kind of stealthy container to work as a rez you can set outside your tent and plumb all your buckets to. It will keep your bucket levels from dropping. Whatever level you set in that outside rez will be the level in your buckets. You can do all your rez changes and adds from this too. This will become very handy when those plants get into the trellis and you have a hard time getting the bucket lids off.

Second, make sure you use bene microbes for now on because you have a hydro nasties food source in your system from your decomposing roots. This is where zyme products come in handy to break that stuff down. But I do not advise it because it is crack/speed/jet fuel for slime.

Btw, of my many products I have been working on since solving the slime problem, I have something that neutralizes the decomposed matter making it unavailable as a food source for the nasties. It avoids the use of enzyme products and their associated high costs for a bottle at the store.

I never liked voodoo juice and it costs to much. It didn't do shit for the slime. You are not infected so I guess it could help. The great white added directly does not help a lot because the microbes in the powder have not been activated such as in the brewing of a tea.

Another thing, if you used a hydro specific tea you could get away with mid to high 70 temps. Your temps are pushing it right now.
You could keep on getting away with the temps, but eventually it could come around to nip you in the butt. If not tea than a chiller set at 68-70 F. Tea is a lot cheaper than a 500 dollar small size water chiller and the extra electricity charge for running it. I think the small water chillers pull around 5 or 6 amps. Thats like running a 500 or 600 watt bulb 24/7. And the chiller is not going to give you all the magical benefits of a hydro specific tea.

You said you don't have the ability to make tea. Sure you do. You do not have to make a full on 5 gallon bucket size. You could brew enough for your grow in a 2 liter soda bottle with the top cut off. That would give you quite a few cups to add every week. Or use a 1 gallon milk container cut off at the top. Make it once a week and fridge the rest for your addition at the 3rd day. It will be much less work than playing with frozen water bottles. Those things melt so quick its nearly pointless.

PM me with a safe mailing address and I'll mail you some freshly made tea completely free. Tell me how many weeks you have left in this grow and I'll even send you some some tea making material portioned out in baggies ready to be brewed for the remainder of your grow. That way you will not have to spend a couple hundred on buying all the ingredients for my tea recipe. All I ask is that you witness/enjoy the magic and share your results here.

Last edited:

lonetoker

I got carried away in my workshop and lab the last few days. I'm back now.

lonetoker,

Good news, I don't see any root infections. Bad news, you seem to have a system problem. I'll bet money your bucket levels are dropping fast everyday by the size of your girls and their thirst...

hey man its cool. i really appreciate the great information you have given in general to everyone and to me. im really glad you think that i dont have any root infections that takes a burden off my back. :dance013: lol. i try to make sure my girls are healthy.
i figured i could try out voodoo juice and great white as somewhat bene microbes. i was on the virge of buying cannazym but you say no.
And my girls, they do like to drink a lot of water, very thirsty they are. i will make sure to keep the water level up every day. ill look into making a separate rez i think i have a spare water pump lying around somewhere.
honestly i had read somewhere that letting the water level go down was okay, guess that info was way off.lol.i like this community much better the information the users give seems to be more helpful.
so with the tea im able to run a higher rez temps thats awesome less hassle with these frozen water bottles. tea sounds like the way to go. thanks man

lonetoker

richyrich i cant send a pm to you as i am a new member here with minimal amount of posts and am restricted to do so which is kinda bs. lol.

i was planning on switching the photo-period next week. so bsically 9 weeks to go. if you want you can shoot me an email to my dummy account so i can give you my address.

kswift

Hello richyrich, before I wanted to make purchases of all the nutrients and make my tea I wanted to know if the tea would actually work for me.

For the last year or so I've had tremendous problems with my plants, having them look great in the veg state, but when switching the lights and flowering I've had most, if not all of my crop die at the 4-5 week mark. I would say about 80% would die. This is only at 4th to 5th week of flower. They would look healthy at first, wilt 1 day, then almost completely die and shrivel up within the next 2 days.

Growing in Rock wool 6x6 cubes
I am running GH nutes.
Recirculating
Temp of Res is low, I have about 6 4" air stones within each res. ~950 gph pump
Currently using Orca for benes only.
Using Dutch Master Root Zone now. With h202 once a week.

I've noticed that Zone helps a lot to prevent and treat it but a majority of the plants will still die.
After a fustrating year I changed my entire set up and grew in hydroton and had a 100% success rate with not 1 plant dying. But, I'd like to keep my grows in rockwool as I did not like working with hydroton at all.

If this is the cure that would be great. Appreciate any response and feedback from others also.