What's new

Can't tell if you have root rot or the brown slime algae, come on in ?!

kswift

Sounds eerily similar to what we have...

I didn't go through every post thoroughly. But what medium are you using? Not many people use rockwool and I have found very little response on it. Was it cyanobacteria, pythium, or a combination of both.

It's been the same ordeal. Soaked the res and trays in non diluted h202. Changed pumps, filters, hoses to all brand new ones. Even got different cuts from soil users w/o this problem. And the disease still popped up at 4th week. Ive tried it all and will most likely be brewing the tea tonight just because everything else has failed.

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
Hello richyrich, before I wanted to make purchases of all the nutrients and make my tea I wanted to know if the tea would actually work for me.

For the last year or so I've had tremendous problems with my plants, having them look great in the veg state, but when switching the lights and flowering I've had most, if not all of my crop die at the 4-5 week mark. I would say about 80% would die. This is only at 4th to 5th week of flower. They would look healthy at first, wilt 1 day, then almost completely die and shrivel up within the next 2 days.

Growing in Rock wool 6x6 cubes
I am running GH nutes.
Recirculating
Temp of Res is low, I have about 6 4" air stones within each res. ~950 gph pump
Currently using Orca for benes only.
Using Dutch Master Root Zone now. With h202 once a week.

I've noticed that Zone helps a lot to prevent and treat it but a majority of the plants will still die.
After a fustrating year I changed my entire set up and grew in hydroton and had a 100% success rate with not 1 plant dying. But, I'd like to keep my grows in rockwool as I did not like working with hydroton at all.

If this is the cure that would be great. Appreciate any response and feedback from others also.

You can always use the tea on any plants for increased performance and health. For you, my initial thought is that you have a problem with your system. Considering you had no problems in hydroton,

I'm thinking your 6x6 cubes are drying out quickly because of the size of your plants at their 4-5 week. By then they have grown much larger and are much thirstier while in bloom. You need to increase the amount of watering per day. Dial in the grow. I'm thinking the cubes along with the roots are drying out between feeds. If the roots dry out one time they are dead and will rot. Hence will look like a root problem when it's really a system problem. This is all speculation at this point from what I gathered from your original post.

Snap me a picture of your tables, trays, etc. so I can see what your plants are in.

If not, is/was there any type of growing media below the cubes?

How much hydroton is each plant in?

What do the roots look like in the hydroton?

What is the watering schedule in the hydroton?

What size light are they under?

How many per light?

What is the room temp at its hottest?

What is the room humidity at its lowest?

richyrich

Veteran
doneit,

Have you cleaned your a/c ducting?

What size (or brand and model) ozone generator for the air did you try using in the past?

Do you have air scrubbers up an running yet?

T

ThcGrower4life

hey there can anyone tell if I have root rot I have made a thread sorry I cant post it up I don't no how too..but here is a pic
picture.php

richyrich

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]thcgrower4life,

It[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'s hard to tell without more info.

What nutrients are you [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]using?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What type of system are you running?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is that DWC[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] you are run[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ning? How big is your air pump?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What do[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]es the upper growth look like?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Are the plants stunted in growth?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Give as much info as you can.[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

T

ThcGrower4life

hi richyrich i am growing in a ghe waterfarm i am dripping 15mins every hour this plant is 5 weeks into flower 12/12 from seed i am using ghe flora series bloom micro grow at 3-2-1 also 2 ml per res of cal mag
the ec1.3 ph5.9-ph6.0 ish 400watt hps above the plant and just added 400watt too side of the plant res temps 18c-21c room temps lights on 26c lights off 21c humidty 50% lights on 60% lights off..i have just noticed the plants top leafs are clawing down but they dont have burnt tips i left the dripper on all night here is the pics

picture.php

picture.php

richyrich

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]thcgrower[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4life,

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I know you said you are gr[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]owing in a waterfarm, but what is that in the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]pic with the roots? Is that a plastic tote?
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With simple gh nutes your roots should not be br[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ownish. I see the new root growth is white before it hits the water line. I'm not completely sure[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] what you have going on. My first impression is root rot. If it is, it is at a point where you can stop it and the plants will recover since roots should still be gr[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]owing somewhat at their age.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That container of water the roots are sitting in; is it oxygenated with air stones and a large air pump[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]?[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

T

ThcGrower4life

hi richyrich yes the plant was moved too a bigger res 90ltr and i can fill it too the bottom of the plant which is 50ltrs and yes i have a mj1000 pointed at the roots i think the roots look whiter than before i will go up and take a pic...here is the pic

picture.php

Last edited:
B

BB420

i cant get the aquashield or the ZHO here in the uk anyone want to help a brother out?? or can I buy something that's similar to the products ? thanks peeps

sidewing

hello i was looking for some info.

im new to DWC. successfully grew in soil for many years. im on my 2nd round of DWC in flower now. first round was very unsuccessful in my opinion. im about to harvest maybe an oz under a 1k. roots are smaller than my plants i have in veg right now. it was a back and forth battle of stress and what not.

ive tried uc roots, tried DM zone, tried bleach. and the only thing that keeps the roots growing is tea (i make mine with Alaska humus, mycogrow soluble powder, and molasses).

but an issue i have is when i use the tea i seem to get material stuck in the roots so the roots dont look pretty white. (i think its just particles from the alaska humus). and if i dont keep dosing with tea regularly then where that buildup is, turns to what my issue is (brown flakes looking stuff on the roots).

im not sure what it is. my res temps are 70 degrees 24 hours a day, i have more than enough air pumping into the res (ecoair commercial 5 pump. in a 10gal of water). i use RO water, GH nutes (maxigrow/maxibloom).

i dont have any crazy ph drift or PPM fluctuation.

ive tried to revert back to sterile and i always get the same issue, it looks like little brown specs in the root zone, eventually it will spread slowly to brown that covers the root tips first (like the fish bone ones, the tips of the T).. if i continue to let it go itll eventually turn into white snot slime.

am i just doomed to run tea in DWC forever? or is there a way to beat this.

i went DWC from soil because i wanted better yields, so far the 2nd plant i have in flower has strong potential to do that, and the 3 plants i have in veg are exploding in roots. (their roots are almost as big as the flowering one already). so i think im on the right track. i didnt dose with tea this last week so now im seeing this issue again. i tried just adding mycogrow powder to the res directly this past week as a test without brewing a tea out of it first and it doesnt seem to be doing the trick.

oh and when i first started with the tea it smelled good. like fresh soil. earthy. lately ive noticed a fresh batch of tea has almost a fishy smell, like an aquarium. do i just need to clean my brewing bucket more regularly?

marinemansf

Need help with ID on this s@#t...

Need help with ID on this s@#t...

New to growing and bennes, just need someone to help put a finger on what this stuff is pls.

richyrich

Veteran
New to growing and bennes, just need someone to help put a finger on what this stuff is pls.
View Image View Image

It looks like some kind of biological film (growth). I don't know if it's good or bad growth without looking thru my microscope. If you are using beneficials out of a jar/can from the grow store than you may have an over abundance/imbalance. My tea recipe will never do this if it is made right. I formulated it to be balanced.

If you have my exact tea formula in there something went wrong. Old ingredients, etc..

If you have no beneficials in there then you need to get some tea in there before it gets bad and you lose your sanity for a while like the rest of us here.

marinemansf

Thank you for the response rich! I did use some store bought benne bacteria starter that im quickly regretting. No I havent used your tea recipe. Just found it yesterday and hoping it will get me on the right track, without me wanting to eat a gun to figure it out :) I think ill gather everything for your recipe that I can get at the hydro store. Also my RO system showed up yesterday, so ill be running clean water after I get this slime problem figured out. Thanks for all the great info and help you have taken the time to explain to us newb growers rich. Go play the song "return of the mack," cause you deserve it lol.

richyrich

Veteran
Thank you for the response rich! I did use some store bought benne bacteria starter that im quickly regretting. No I havent used your tea recipe. Just found it yesterday and hoping it will get me on the right track, without me wanting to eat a gun to figure it out :) I think ill gather everything for your recipe that I can get at the hydro store. Also my RO system showed up yesterday, so ill be running clean water after I get this slime problem figured out. Thanks for all the great info and help you have taken the time to explain to us newb growers rich. Go play the song "return of the mack," cause you deserve it lol.

LOL, I use to pimp out to that song while rollin with the bumps, haha.

You will be okay with that store junk until you can make my specific tea formula. You are gonna have that over/imbalance of that beneficial meanwhile, but it will not hurt your roots. Just don't use a lot of it. One time I added carbo load to a store bought beneficial and I had an explosion of clear snot. It wasn't the brown slime though. It was just a massive growth of the beneficial and it was choking the roots. So watch out for that. Get the tea going and you will never have any more problems. Nothing in a can at a hydro store can do that. Well, not until I bring my product line out, hehe. That's why I disappeared for a long while.

richyrich

Veteran
hello i was looking for some info.

im new to DWC. successfully grew in soil for many years. im on my 2nd round of DWC in flower now. first round was very unsuccessful in my opinion. im about to harvest maybe an oz under a 1k. roots are smaller than my plants i have in veg right now. it was a back and forth battle of stress and what not.

ive tried uc roots, tried DM zone, tried bleach. and the only thing that keeps the roots growing is tea (i make mine with Alaska humus, mycogrow soluble powder, and molasses).

but an issue i have is when i use the tea i seem to get material stuck in the roots so the roots dont look pretty white. (i think its just particles from the alaska humus). and if i dont keep dosing with tea regularly then where that buildup is, turns to what my issue is (brown flakes looking stuff on the roots).

im not sure what it is. my res temps are 70 degrees 24 hours a day, i have more than enough air pumping into the res (ecoair commercial 5 pump. in a 10gal of water). i use RO water, GH nutes (maxigrow/maxibloom).

i dont have any crazy ph drift or PPM fluctuation.

ive tried to revert back to sterile and i always get the same issue, it looks like little brown specs in the root zone, eventually it will spread slowly to brown that covers the root tips first (like the fish bone ones, the tips of the T).. if i continue to let it go itll eventually turn into white snot slime.

am i just doomed to run tea in DWC forever? or is there a way to beat this.

i went DWC from soil because i wanted better yields, so far the 2nd plant i have in flower has strong potential to do that, and the 3 plants i have in veg are exploding in roots. (their roots are almost as big as the flowering one already). so i think im on the right track. i didnt dose with tea this last week so now im seeing this issue again. i tried just adding mycogrow powder to the res directly this past week as a test without brewing a tea out of it first and it doesnt seem to be doing the trick.

oh and when i first started with the tea it smelled good. like fresh soil. earthy. lately ive noticed a fresh batch of tea has almost a fishy smell, like an aquarium. do i just need to clean my brewing bucket more regularly?

Yes, clean your brewing bucket every single time. You have left over beneficials that have died and probably have become a food source for something anaerobic growing in your tea.