What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can't tell if you have root rot or the brown slime algae, come on in ?!

marinemansf

Ok so I got my tea brewing. I couldn't buy all the ingredients, but here's what I added to mine: 4 gal ro water, 1 scoop of ZHO, 50 ml of hygrometer (store out of aquashield) and 50 ml of molasses. Also ripped apart my system and everything is soaking and will get washed with bleach and h202. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again homie.

marinemansf

One more question. Is it better to brew the tea at room temperature or to keep it refrigerated while brewing? Because I figured out a way to keep it in my refrigerator while keeping the air pump running air to the bucket. Just curious.

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
One more question. Is it better to brew the tea at room temperature or to keep it refrigerated while brewing? Because I figured out a way to keep it in my refrigerator while keeping the air pump running air to the bucket. Just curious.

Room temps

marinemansf

Hey rich, not sure whats going on but I did a complete strip down of the system and cleaned it, resembled it and added the tea I made and Im starting to notice something coming back on the downspout hoses again. And I ran RO water this time.

And this is new, not sure if its good or bad (lava rock growth)

This stuff just really has me feeling defeated. Just looking for some guidance. Thanks.

PS rez temps are 65 degrees. Is this something you could setup to have tested at a university?

Last edited:

marinemansf

Ok so I just got off the phone with the university and they think it may be and airborne fungus or spores causing my bacteria and they suggested trying a copper-sulfate fogger. They have a point because my system is in my basement and could very well have a fungus. Im just hoping this will fix everything, because im ready to take my setup to the range and c4 that shit. Fingers crossed....

SoilWatch

Yes, Z7 works

Yes, Z7 works

For the $20 for the set for treating 450 gallons, its just as expensive if not cheaper than most of these other solutions out there, and it doesnt destroy the good bacteria in the root zone. There are a lot of us here in the Denver area that are starting to use the Z7 treatments, and not just for cannabis, not just for hydro either.

To each his own, but this is the only product that is a real one step solution to set it and forget it that I have found. I have also never seen a conditioner like this make such a difference so fast. Within hours, you can notice a difference just in how much more gunk is at the bottom of the bucket after adding Z7. When my local grow store got this stuff, the owner was crazy about it, and he was showing me his tests that he was using on his pepper plants. He doesnt even sell H2O2 anymore when I was in there yesterday talking to him because of this product. He claims there is no need for H2O2 anymore, except for the store bought 3% when cleaning your res when doing a res change.

I would see if you can find a sample pack, but it has made the difference for me and my higher res temps of about 73F.

Hey, just go to Flying Skull's web site > store locator: http://www.flyingskull.net/store-locator2.php
and make a couple calls. Their top line stores will probably be able to help. I'm sure samples are probably limited, but if your getting something else most stores will add a sample if they have it.

kswift

Hey, just go to Flying Skull's web site > store locator: http://www.flyingskull.net/store-locator2.php
and make a couple calls. Their top line stores will probably be able to help. I'm sure samples are probably limited, but if your getting something else most stores will add a sample if they have it.

Just to put this out there that i'm not sure if Z7 really works or not. Did a 1 Quart order from them and have been using it in my flowering room at week 6 - 7. I had a terrible case of Root Rot. 70 - 80% of my plants are still alive at the moment but did not produce crazy roots or anything like that. I will keep people updated on this product as my next flowering room will be close to week 4. Using Z7 at 1.5ml per gallon.

jadashi

Wicked thread and a must read... I feel many people go to war with the wrong weapons because they have trouble identifying what is actually going on as in Pythium, (Brown Slim, Iron algae)

My strain baby sitter actually caused a cluster of both because he was told not to stagnate his roots not having his gravity not sorted and some organic domestic additive he read would help...

I knocked it out with 1 week of Chloromine which halted the Pyth,,, Bleach scrub all system parts completly (jet wash rinse with chlorine then let sit in the sun for 4 hours),,, flush of 250 ppm NPKCa, b1/b2, fulcic,,,then used a difuser in a seperate chamber with HGRE based nute push pulling through it...

Sweetpea.kern

richyrich/anyone with experience ;o). We are being attacked by this brown algae ;o(. We have two mother pants each in their own 5 gallon bucket, and three little girls in a 30 gal DWC. We used the physan 20 at the 1ml/10 gal, ran it for 24 hours. Drained, flushed, refilled and put your tea in. One of the little girls that was on her way out is perking up ;o). Now we need to know is it okay to use sns 209 in our system with your tea ? Thanks so much ! We where completely lost until we found your posts.

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
richyrich/anyone with experience ;o). We are being attacked by this brown algae ;o(. We have two mother pants each in their own 5 gallon bucket, and three little girls in a 30 gal DWC. We used the physan 20 at the 1ml/10 gal, ran it for 24 hours. Drained, flushed, refilled and put your tea in. One of the little girls that was on her way out is perking up ;o). Now we need to know is it okay to use sns 209 in our system with your tea ? Thanks so much ! We where completely lost until we found your posts.

SNS 209 is a pest control chemical. Off hand I would say do not mix a chemical because it may kill off or harm your micro herd army. The ingredients in SNS 209 are supposedly botanical extracts, so they may be harmless to the micro herd. There is no way of telling for sure. You will have to experiment and find out.

SNS 209
Active Ingredients

• Rosemary Extract10%

• Rosemary Oil0.23%

• Quillaja Saponaria 1.5%

• Humic Acid .10%

Speculating, these don't seem to be harmful.

TedNugget

I posted this in the richyrich tea recipe thread, but wanted to post it here too, as I wasn't sure where was best:

I think I might have the slime...

I thought it was root rot. The aeroflo I was using had a small light leak into the growing tubes, and the temps climbed up,to 75 and we had the spray lines aimed wrong (so they were hitting the side wall, instead of spraying into the water on the bottom of the tube (which creates oxygen)). The long roots that were sitting in the water at the bottom of the tubes (which I assume became stagnant) turned black-ish.
So, I assumed it was root rot, taking into account all the above factors, all of which can lead to root rot. So I naturally started treating them for it. I started with FloraShield and SM-90 as I had both on hand. Everything looked like it was headed in the right direction. But I hadn't yet cut off the dead black root. So I did that the next day and went and got Hygrozyme and more FloraShield.
So I did a res change, added a whole bottle of FloraShield, some SM90 and I added the recently purchased Hygrozyme.
Then I also added a couple air stones to the reservoir, thinking the more oxygen the better (for root rot).

Then when I checked in the next day, wow... Never seen anything like that! The entire res and every grow tube was literally filled with nasty brown slime. You could see it attached to the bottom of the grow tube, waiving back and forth as the water flowed over it. The reservoir sides were covered in slime too. The water had turned brown and cloudy, with some brown things floating around in it.

From reading, it sounds like maybe the hygrozyme was food for the algae. That along with the air stones feeding the res tons of oxygen caused it to bloodline crazy I believe.

I am just not sure how it got there...? Where does it originate from? Like, what causes you to get it in the first place? I've never seen this and I've run aero's before.
The air stones I used had been used before, either to make compost tea or in another hydro system for a short time. I did soak them in bleach water first. But is this the likely cause? What are the other things that cause this?

Also, I ditched all the plants and I am starting over. What is my best course of action to disinfect my machine completely? I flushed it out as best I could and I am running a few cups of bleach in water thru it now. I put some DM Zone in there too.
How much bleach per gallon should I be using?
I plan to break it all down next and scrub it out as best I can.
Then fill it up with more bleach water. Drain it.
Fill it with Physan 20. Run it. Drain it.
Then fill with (hot?) water. Flush and drain.
Then fill again?

What about the parts that cannot be scrubbed, like the manifold and spray lines? I just replaced the lines, but should I do it again? (Hate to throw away $70, but will if necessary).
Can't replace the manifold though.
I bought a new pump that is a bit stronger. Also bought a water chiller (thinking it was root rot at first).

I just want to do whatever necessary to fully eradicate this NOW. This was a damn nightmare, I don't want to ever have to go through this again.

Thank you for any help. It will be greatly appreciated.

Edit - I should also add, when I first seen the root rot (or whatever) I had been using strictly RO water to that point. Then when I flushed and changed the res water, I filled it with straight tap water (thinking the chlorine would be good). I ran the tap water for a day, everything looked headed in the right direction, then I added the hygrozyme and air stones and the next day it looked like described above. Is it possible that is what introduced the brown slime? I'm not even sure it's brown slime. I've never seen root rot cover tubes in brown slime like this (that looked like it was attached to the tube and "swimming" (or swaying back and forth) for lack of a better word). Is it possible I had both rot and slime? Cause at first it looked like rot, then after the tap water and hygrozome it looked more like the brown slime.

Last edited:

Badassgoodfella

Hey Rich awesome stuff! I have a question for you if I keep benes bubbling and add sugar every 48 hours to feed them will they stay alive? I ask because I have a larger set up and refrigerating the tea would take up the whole fridge. Thanks you are the man!

mule420

Hey Rich awesome stuff! I have a question for you if I keep benes bubbling and add sugar every 48 hours to feed them will they stay alive? I ask because I have a larger set up and refrigerating the tea would take up the whole fridge. Thanks you are the man!
I'm not Richy but no that won't work, the tea will go bad. What he's making is a aerated compost tea or something close to that. One thing that will help is a mesh bag filled with lava rocks in your rez to give the microbes a place to live. Look up microbeman and ACT or aerated compost tea for more insight on the way the teas work. Richeys recipe is just one of many that help to fight the slime...

Latest posts

Latest posts