What's new

The Warden is pulling the plug.....

Murphy

Wonderon said:
Looking nice man. Hows the coco pad doing for ya, any better with the roots. Seems they sell pads for this use, I never knew but here they are:
http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=GMBB44&eq=&Tp=

I don't use a coco pad. I want to be in 100% Hydrotron but everytime I thing I have enough....I run out and have to use lava rocks.
Last night I started to set up the next tub. I still have 3 to chop out of it but, I figured 2 or 3 days of flushing the new plants won't be a problem. I'm letting a few plants go a few days longer.....I have to admit it, I like the "couch lock" effect sometimes. I used lava rock as the be and dumped Hydrotron on top of it. The roots took a beating, I forgot I had them in net pots with lava rock in them and it's a lot hevier then Hydrotron, I tipped the first one to dump it out and lost about 20% of the root mass.
This tub is going to be packed, Things vegged a little longer than expected and I have to cut the AK-47 plant count way back so I can sort out the m/f Grape Krush. Clones will be taken tonight.

Wonderon

Sorry man, confused yours with someone elses with the coco pad. There was a thread with someone using a coco pad on an e&f so the roots could come out of the containers and grow into the pad. Figures I can't find it now, so I guess I won't get an answer.

Good luck with the ratios on the GK, sounds like you have some good things happening.

Whats the Thunk buzz like after 5mo flowering, I hear mixed reviews on these so I'd like to know your take?

Murphy

Wonderon said:
Sorry man, confused yours with someone elses with the coco pad. There was a thread with someone using a coco pad on an e&f so the roots could come out of the containers and grow into the pad. Figures I can't find it now, so I guess I won't get an answer.

Good luck with the ratios on the GK, sounds like you have some good things happening.

Whats the Thunk buzz like after 5mo flowering, I hear mixed reviews on these so I'd like to know your take?

I forget who I talked to, or what happened but, I talked to someone and they said it was a mess using the coco pad. I had thought about the same thing with rockwool slabs too. I thought about 6" rockwool blocks and everything else but when it gets down to it, space is an issue for me and all of those things take up more storage room and cost more money. If I have a place to store 3 foot rockwool slab, screw the slabs, give me a some CFL's and a tub, I'll set up another place for clones or a pre-cab area!

I gotta make some changes this weekend and get some things moved around. I need to get the Grape Krush sexed, then I'll have a little more room in the cab.

Ganja Kirbya

Great grow! Lately I've been wanting to grow more and more. Really bad. I think today I finally realized I need to, and I think I might have the perfect place. Just thought I'd tell you that you helped inspire me to grow lol. You and Dr. D, with his bubble buckets.

Enjoy your stash though. After this grow I think you'll be set for quite a while.

C

cellardweller

veddy nice Murphy!
That Thunk went 5 months huh?
Great job!

clowntown

Veteran
Tagging this thread, for now. :lurk:

Haven't read much of it yet (about to run errands), but I'd love to read more about the Liquid Light in action. :yes:

Murphy

Cellar, I let that THUNK go ad cut off of it as needed, always leaving the largest buds. It did go through 2 problems, a oh issue and an issue with mollasses so it stalled for a while. Plenty of new growth over the past few weeks so I let it go, now it's just in the way to much, that room is really crowed. I climb in and sit on a stool, I'll grab a pic for you of the dented duct from the 6 inch fan, I hit my head on it almost daily.....

Clowntown, I just cut clones from the Grape Krush, I sprayed them the day before I cut. I'll keep you updated with when I'm using it. My cab is about over grown at this point, I've got work to do this weekend to make room, once I LST, I'll go back to spraying twice a week. Gape Krush may not be the best example because it already has crinkled leaves as a common trait but, we'll see how it all goes.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
NICE Thunkers ya got there. Very impressive. I let my current one go 21 weeks of 12/12 and she was still sending out new shoots. I don't know that these will ever "finish"

FreezerBoy

Veteran
I was wondering why yours are so much thicker and tighter than mine. So I went back and you're using a 1K vs my 250. Now I don't feel so bad.

Murphy

FreezerBoy said:
I was wondering why yours are so much thicker and tighter than mine. So I went back and you're using a 1K vs my 250. Now I don't feel so bad.

I think your'e right on the THUNK never finishing. I just loaded the second tub and my room is really tight, otherwise I would just left it go. The thunk was under 400 watts CMH most of the way through, it was just put under the 1000 watt at the end. It's a little deciving looking, the buds never pointed up, I didn't have the room, so as you can see, it became very wide. On the bottom it's pretty bare. I didn't get it chopped last night but, I will take some detailed pics when I do.

clowntown

Veteran
Would it be possible to change the photoperiod to something like, say, 10/14 (in later flower, towards the finish mark) instead the next time around? I've been informed that many of these pure sativas will require shorter day length, especially towards the end, to finish properly. :2cents: Unsure how that will affect your plans for other strains rotating through the room, and I'm thinking it will either take a lot of planning ahead of time or just simply not possibly w/ other strains.

Anyways, some insightful / informational threads:

Edit: Damn, I'm just now starting to catch up on this thread, and am very disappointed and happy at the same time: disappointed that I didn't read & follow it sooner, and happy that I finally found it. :D :bashhead: I'm loving the details and pictures on the water cure (even though I'm not all that interested in doing it myself). :yes: Great job on growing all these impressive strains! Keep up the excellent work on the documentation; I will be sure to follow all your threads from now on, as there is so much to gain & learn from them. :yes: :yes:

Last edited:

Murphy

Glad it's something you found entertaining Clowntown, it means a lot to hear that from some that has been around as long as you have! :respect:

As for the Water Curing, you may not be interested right now, but you may have a problem that comes up and it works great as a solution. It's all FreezerBoy does, no flushing. It opens up the door for harvesting different plants at different times. My reason for doing it was I was frustrated with trying to get the plant with the limp buds out of the system. I let it go as long as it needed, I was running low on weed....water cured for 5 days, screen dried for 1 day and it was the smoothest smoke I've ever had. It's not my new way, but it's great to have as an option.

THUNK....it's always been the bastard child in my set up. I've come to love to hate it, after 5 months, I can't tell you how many times I've slapped it into thing, left it in the corner of the room, it was neglected but for some reason, I just let it keep going. Whatever is in the Hydro system is the priority. I would have changed the timer but, I wasn't sure how that would effect the hydro crop. No more THUNK for me, it was a great learning experience but, I won't grow it again......and I have no interest in soil growing after that either.

I should be posting some new pic tomorrow, I forget how many plants I loaded in, this time NO CONTAINERS. We're going in an open bed and scroggin' it to help hold everything in place.

Last week, all of the res' were changed over. plants have been moved around, we have our tub loaded for the next show, AK-47 again. The pics you saw that have been harvested were the seeds, only working from clones now. I think I trimmed to high up on those but I got some rock hard buds.

In veg now are about 9 Grape Krush plants, I took 2 clones from each for sexing and in about a month that show will start! ....with a few Ata Tundra's from Seedman Seeds. The Grape Krush is hitting the celing in the veg cab so I'll have some creative bending to do this week. I'm hoping not to SCRG these, I want to just let them go, especially after seeing some recent pics posted of some 3 footers.

I'll keep ya updated and feel free to ask whatever or if you want and to make suggestions :canabis:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Speaking of water cures, lookie what I pulled out of my buds. First day's runoff was an EC of 1.2. Thats a higher concentration than I feed at. Today's runoff (day 2) was an even 1.0. Does anyone really want to smoke the @#%! in that cup?

I'm surprised you got such good results with only 5 days of soaking. I need at least the full 7 days. Unlike Clowntown, I remember things without ever remembering who or where I got it from. So, apologies to whoever I'm stealing this from. Someone suggested the last few days be soaked in distilled or RO water. I took some of the last cured batch and soaked in distilled and, sure enough, pulled another 0.4 out of it.

Murphy

FreezerBoy said:
Speaking of water cures, lookie what I pulled out of my buds. First day's runoff was an EC of 1.2. Thats a higher concentration than I feed at. Today's runoff (day 2) was an even 1.0. Does anyone really want to smoke the @#%! in that cup?

I'm surprised you got such good results with only 5 days of soaking. I need at least the full 7 days. Unlike Clowntown, I remember things without ever remembering who or where I got it from. So, apologies to whoever I'm stealing this from. Someone suggested the last few days be soaked in distilled or RO water. I took some of the last cured batch and soaked in distilled and, sure enough, pulled another 0.4 out of it.

I was only able to use distilled water because it was just a few buds and a 1/2 gallon jar. For larger water curing, it would be a hassle and an added cost if you didn't have a R/O system. My tap water is at 150 ppm's.....I don't really know EC's but considering day 1 I ended at 210, tap water wouldn't work well for me.

....my water never looked like that. Cloudy white was as bad as it ever was.

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Murphy said:
I was only able to use distilled water because it was just a few buds and a 1/2 gallon jar.
That's probably the reason. My tap's EC is 0.5 or, 250 ppm-350 ppm on the x500 or x700 scale respectivly. When runoff approaches my tap reading of 0.5, I'll switch to distilled.

Murphy

Here are some updated pics
The clones....+1 from the last round, I am out of room in the veg cab.

....and I could use some suggetions here. That's as high as the light goes kids. Rather than my weed wacker, I'm PM'ing a few of the Grape Krush growers to see what has worked best in the past for them. 3 AK-47's, 3...I think, Ata Tundra's and 9 Grape Krush's. A few growth tips are bumping the light and socket time to break out the razor blade but, I want to see what's best.......I just realized I'm going to have to cut it and trash it, I need to keep these things in here for another month! Currently the cab is running at 600 ppm's and I cut the feedings back to every 6 hours lights on, none during lights off.

....and the same issue in the flower room with the Mandala Safari Mix. They are up above the light.

and the corner AK 47. Considering I have to step over top ov it and everything that goes in and out of the room goes over it, it's held up well. I have to step on a res tank and then over this, the corner will be cut off for the next run......it's just a matter of time before something falls on it.

Last edited:

Murphy

How big of a clone can I take?

How big of a clone can I take?

How big of a clone can I cut? does it just mean it will take it longer to get roots? .......let's see. I topped this plant last week, it's still the tallest in the cab, most likely a male but, let's see what happens...or how long it takes. What do think I should do about those fan leaves? Can I remove them? Are there any torture tests you guys want to see? How about some full strength Liquid Light in a few days? I did cut the stem on a 45 degree and dipped it in rooting hormone. Also, I wanted to see if it was truely hollow so I blew thru it, yup, it's hollow.

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Murphy said:
Also, I wanted to see if it was truely hollow so I blew thru it, yup, it's hollow.
Can you say embolism? Sure you can. I hope you recut the stem before you planted. The reason we use cloning gels and powders is to prevent air bubbles from entering the stem.

clowntown

Veteran
I don't know where all this embolism stuff comes from, to be honest. I personally and truly believe that it's an yet another old misconception that's been passed down through generations of growers, through the traditional ways that misinformation gets spread about this (relatively) not so well known hobby. I think it's probably something along the lines of .... way back in the days, some guy Did It Wrong in terms of taking clones, and those cuts coincidentally happened to have air bubbles or something... and the spread of misinformation began...? I don't know, I could be wrong, or just lucky, or whatever.

I never do anything like cut underwater, or immediately dip into the gels, or any of that "anti-embolism" stuff... and I've never had any problems getting roots. Sometimes I take a few cuts, run off to take care of something for a few minutes, come back to dip & poke, and never a problem... at least not related to "air bubbles".

Also consider the fact that on hollow-stemmed plants / cuts... that hollow gap was there prior to you cutting, and that air existed in that hollow gap.

The reason that I use cloning gels is for the IBA to get roots (supposedly) quicker. I've gotten roots w/o gels, too, but it's always taken noticeably longer.

As far as the hollow stems on this strain... just that I've taken great interest in the Grape Krush in the past, and read that it is known to naturally have hollow stems.

Murphy, how long is that ruler next to the cut?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts