What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thailand Outdoor

kush07

Looking very good there bro! I'm curious, how long has you strain been flowering. I'm asking cause I am considering putting some Skunk #1 x Thai in my plot and was wondering how long it might take. I am guessing around 13 weeks if not more but I would like to hear from and experienced Thai man, or woman, personally.

Happy Toking :bandit:

ThaiPhoon

Hey everyone thanks for stopping by with the comments!

Kush,

Well in all honesty I am not that experienced growing Thai! ah actually this is my second crack at growing them. The first time I was living around Bangkok and I harvested them really early. Anyways, I read an interesting article posted by Capt.Cript from an old HT magazine about harvesting Dalats. Since Dalats and Thai are very close I am going to use the article as a guide line. It makes so much sense because the lower buds are much less mature than the tops.

The article says there are a few harvest windows, The first is at 100 days flowering, the second is at 115 days, and then 126 and 140 days. So I will see how the tops look around day 100 ( for me thats about March 25 ) and go from there!

Peace

kush07

^Yeah, I read that article too. Can you describe the smoke of the first harvest and how long you let it flower. Any information you could provide would be much appreciated.

Happy Toking :bandit:

You can harvest it in small batches as they mature and get a flowing harvest.

Either way, when will you harvest each section or whole plant, on time green, or a late harvest for a dark sleepy thai? Have had both. Your plant look delightfully high with those thin leaves.

Surely at this stage, you should let them go for a few more weeks to get the harvest on time, but not early. Unless you wanted something early, but is a high thai already. Are you watching the trichomes for harvest? What about the pistils, wonder if on a Sativa, do they dry fast or stay fresher longer.

Would assume they stay fresher longer, but you tell us. Cause they look healthy and fresh like they could go a couple more weeks.

Last edited:

ThaiPhoon

hey kush

The first stuff was flowering for about 5 or 6 weeks only. The buds were not well developed. There were plenty of trichs on it and it was quite good smoke. All in the head. Made my head feel very light and big, almost detached. The yeild also was miniscule.

This time around I am growing in the country side and I am not really worried about security. I have already sample some quick dried buds. The high is quite good, again all in the head. The taste was not great because it was dried to fast! Honestly I was against the idea of sampling, but the girlfriend was very persistent.

These plants have a lot of trichs on the buds. Some of the pistels are wilting, there are a lot of white ones still. Also the buds at the bottom of the plant are much less mature/dense than the tops.

For that reason I am going to wait about 6 more weeks to do the first harvest of the top flowers. Then using the HT article as a guide check and harverst as the lower buds ripen.

I am also hoping to find some pollen to hit those lower buds!! I currently have some MM seedlings but I am unsure of the sex.

So if anyone has some pollen, I'd share the offspring!

Peace

ngakpa

Veteran
a-hoi there Thaipoon,

you are a brave / totally insane man for growing that in Thailand - personally, if I was to find anything growing in my garden it would be dead seconds later

the thing that would get me paranoid is not least that in Thailand people gossip incessantly - to be a little harsh, it is nigh on the only thing plenty of Thai people do ...

so for instance, how many people know it is there - there is your girlfriend - how many people is she likely to have told?

from my experience of rural Thailand, e.g. Kok Sam Rong, near Lopburi, you are going to be an object of some considerable curiosity, if you are living out in the sticks, and the subject of considerable conversation

I don't wish to sound like a "know-it-all" or whatever, but just my tuppence to say that if I was you I would be cutting them down asap (as a sidenote, by my instinct those look like they could go for months yet... Chamba is a good man to ask if you want an opinion)

and just to second the remarks that have been made about buying ganja from cops and tuk tuk drivers - that would be so insane as to be laughable

yeh so, as I say, as a word of caution, things can turn nasty in Thailand very fast - the poorer slum and shanty areas in villages of rural Thailand are no exceptions ... there will be plenty of young guys and cops (who have scandalously low pay even by Thai standards) who will not think twice about fucking you over if they hear you have plants... as an outsider that is a risk you run, and a possibilty it would be naive to overlook

needless to say, the choice is yours, but I would advise either killing those plants, or taking them into the forest

all best, Namkha

ThaiPhoon

Hey namkha,

I have been living in Thailand for 5 years myself. My girlfriend is very westernized and I am sure has told no one. Her mother came to visit and saw the plants. She bought the story that it is oregano. Nobody else has seen the plants. They blend in quite well amongst other plants in the garden. I appreciate your concern, I have seen very awful things happen to people here!

Like I said before. I consider myself very lucky to know the people I know in Thailand. I do not feel scared or paranoid about my little operation or about asking the people I know here for cannabis.

I would also advise any new people to the region to heed your warnings! they are sound!

Thank you for caring so much, I do appreciate the concern.

Peace

ThaiPhoon

I am concerned about these plants I have here. Looking for some advice, here is basically whats going on.

The bigger fan leaves are turning pale then yellowing and finally falling off. I wasn't concerned at first because the leaves in and around the buds all look fine.

Also some big leaves higher on the plant would start losing color then die but the buds lower on the plant remain green and healthy looking.

I guess it could be lack of N but then wouldn't the lower buds' leaves show yellowing as well?

It may be that these girls are root bound. Does this sound like a root bound symptom? I have only been watering them with fish pond water and some compost tea, and it doesn't look like they are burnt.

There are two plants in the same big 10 gallon or so clay pot.

Any thoughts?

ngakpa

Veteran
ah OK TP, I didn't realise you'd been there a while - and if, as it seems you might be, you are hanging out with wealthy "high status" Thais I guess you are relatively safe ... rather you than me though ...

... I mean smoking Thai weed and growing Thai grass, in Thailand, with a Thai girlfriend ... I'd have two tokes and be like: "what if she gets it in to her head I've cheated on her, and then decides to take immediate revenge before even consulting me... ?"

anyway, I don't wish to imply things about your gf - after all, there are Thai girls and Thai girls, but I just know that in my experience of Thailand, they do seem to have some sort of genetic thirst for anger and revenge, as well as the rest

anyhoo, your call

Namkha

Last edited:

ThaiPhoon

hey Namkha,

Again thanks for your concern, again! haha. The girl I am with is not the typical Thai girl. She is as well travelled as I am and highly educated. I know how Thai girls are and honestly I am put off by typical Thai girls. There is a special reason I am with this one! She is a keeper!

Anyone have suggestions about what may be happening to the plants?

Peace

tuco

Hi ThaiPhoon. i must admit i came here to have a peak because i am heading to Thailand soon and was curious...not about growing there, just generally....anyway back to your plants.

next time dont grow in clay pots...they can get damp and things can get funky.

they could be root-bound but i would not attempt a transplant at this stage and risk shocking them.

have you been able to test your water PH?

while in flower your plants lower leaves will naturally turn yellow and drop off as a result of the plants using up the N during flowering...this is normal, but yeah, sound like there might be some other issues. any chance of a few more pics?

all the best.

Last edited:

ThaiPhoon

Hey Tuco,

Thanks for the heads up about clay pots. I just thought I'd use them because they are more natural than plastic. But I see your point!

I havent checked Ph of the water. I water them with fish pond water that is very well aerated, and a combination of a very well aerated compost tea. I have been told that the Ph will "sort itself out" using these types of aeration for more than a few days.

I will get some full plant pics up again soon, the buds look very healthy, its just the loss of leaves that has me a bit concerned. I have seen others that look almost similar to mine so it could also be normal.

Thanks

Jnicks

nice grow man

some very interesting plants you got going there for sure

good luck, and try not to get killed!

ngakpa

Veteran
hey - fishpond water sounds a little dodgy to me - it is likely to have a large quantity of partially decomposed material, and the pH could be anything inc. highly acidic

and the compost tea may also be a problem - how have you prepared it? Not one of those bizzare raw teas some people use, I hope

aeration is an issue, but more important is that the content is fully and correctly decomposed

partially rotted material is no good for plants

how come you have used pots anyway?

Given that you don't feel safety is an issue (aaah) why not put them straight into soil - they will be so much happier like that, given that they will be wanting to send out huge roots, being pure sativas

buds will be scanty as feck if you leave them in there

I would get them off your property and into soil

ok I will shut up now - cheers

Namkha

ngakpa

Veteran
ThaiPhoon said:
I know it is unusual to take clones when the plant has started to bloom. These came from the very bottom shoots, and are less mature than the upper shoots.
I believe that once these kick back into veg (IF) the budsites will produce more places for new shoots to grow out of. I hope this is the case anyways! If not, well, I can always sprout some more seeds.

Yeh, with Thai in a Thai climate you could cut off a flowering top branch, stick it in the ground, and it should probably root

ThaiPhoon

The reason I use fish water is because I have read that people have used their aquarium water with great success. My fish pond is very clear and is filtered as well as an aquarium would be. There are plants growing in pots under water as well.

I made compost tea using a diluted mixture of pond water and rainwater to start then I put a sock with composted cow turds and some dry bat guano, some powdered shrimp waste powder with some other rock dusts... This whole thing got a few tablespoons of molasses and brews for 2 days, in the shade. It smells like nice earth compost and slightly of molasses.

The reason they are in pots is because the "soil" here is not really considered soil, more like pure clay, it is nearly impossible to dig into. Next time I will try and dig a small hole and see what happens.

Also the clones have very nice roots on them now (2 out of 3) and I will transplant them soon.

Thanks for chiming in again namkha!

ngakpa

Veteran
heya man, my tuppence would be that that brew you are could be the issue

regardless whether I am right or not: cow turds require a year or more - preferably two or three - of correct composting before they are appropriate for putting on plants direct

IMHO horseshit is far better - but any animal crap should really be dug through soil, or mixed with compost in situ, the season prior to planting, so as to allow it to rot in

re. guano - given that guano is basically urea - i.e. very high nitrate - i would say not really appropriate for sativas, unless hybrids and late veg/early flowering

shame about the soil where you are - parts of Thailand, such as Issan, do have poor soil ... but that can equate with high quality ganja

if you are looking to use tea fertilisers, I would advise doing a little research on local flora ...

as the soil is bad there are likely to be local weeds which are "dynamic accumulators" - this means their roots actively uptake certain nutrients - eg phosphate, pottasium, and others

cut down a bunch of a P and K accumulator weed, fill a large bin stuffed full, cover with water - leave for a good four weeks - then dilute 1/10 and use on herbs

proper decomposition is essential when composting - a tea solution like that needs a month

animal turd needs a good three years, and needs to be heaped up correctly in a large pile if it is to compost correctly

cheers, in a hurry, sorry to be brief - just guessing

(if I was you I would look to ways to render that soil useable ... it could have quite a high mineral content, but be structurally useless ... unfortunately cow shit is not much use in that regard, as it makes soil heavier ... horseshit (if you can find it) is best for giving lighter structure)

Namkha

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts