What's new

Stanley Blower Fan Mod

arewhy

dutchmasters420 said:
I'm about to pick one of these things up, couldnt find them on the home depot or walmart website hopefully they have them by me.

ebay has them for $54 shipped, they also have a smaller unit up there for closer to $30 also stanley

R

Reinhold

So would this be better for pushing the air through a cooltube, or sucking it through it?

G

Would it be possible to convert the smaller secondary intake to vent perhaps a small veg chamber with just some CFLs in it? I am considering trying this out, but if anyone has done this and knows for sure, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

marley1

to vent or for pulling?

just do the same thing u did on the other side, tape ducting onto the smaller intake vent, and run that to ur veg chamber. then it will pull air out of both of them.

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
ok with the newest drilled out mod i can pull through a 3' long, 10" diam filter with a 2" bed of activated carbon pellets. it then pushes the scrubbed air through 5' of 6" diameter r6 insulated ducting a cool tube and another 7' of ducting to exhaust from closet. the fan is on low but we only have a 400w atm will be using a 600w. nothin but clean air comin out the exhaust :joint:

btw the upstairs neighbors cant hear a thing :sasmokin:

Last edited:

Frogger

dutchmasters420 said:
I'm about to pick one of these things up, couldnt find them on the home depot or walmart website hopefully they have them by me.
i'm allso haveing a hard time
:badday:

G

MTF-Sandman said:
My local walmart has em in stock now...they didn't a month ago. They're next to the AC's and other fans...
Just picked up a Stanley at Walmart . AS sandman says, they didn't have them a month ago. This fan cost me 42 bucks & some change. I have one cooling my lights. Workes great on two inline 1K's. I added a 3rd & it was too much for the fan.

EZB581

The Dopest said:
*UPDATED MOD* FAN PULLS FROM ONE SIDE NOW

i drilled four 1" holes in the center divider and taped up the motor side vent. the fan has been running for a couple weeks like this no problems. The Dopest certified mod.

I performed this mod around Feb 1st, The fan works just fine with no sign of running hot. Anybody else done this as well?

bunti

Home depot sells a Rigid blower that is something in the range of 2000 cfm for about two hundred bucks, three speeds and easy to mount a 12" to 8" adaptor to, tape up the other end and use some 8" flex insulated, you can move insane amounts of air with this setup.

Zaxxon63

bunti said:
Home depot sells a Rigid blower that is something in the range of 2000 cfm for about two hundred bucks, three speeds and easy to mount a 12" to 8" adaptor to, tape up the other end and use some 8" flex insulated, you can move insane amounts of air with this setup.

Is it loud? :yoinks:

Stonerguy

thescissors said:
Sorry, but this is BAD INFORMATION! as the dopest mentions in his initial post, the blower has TWO distinct sides, with two *seperate* intakes. that other side is not just there to cool the motor. im sure the motor doesnt need *any* cooling, its just an electric. Instead, that other-side intake feeds the second half of the two-sided blower wheel inside the fan! DO NOT block the other side, but not because of the motor, but because you reduce the power of the fan by HALF!

I bought the stanley because i needed a BIG blower to pull air out of my 800w cabinet:

It was cheap, and promised to be very effective. It does have a weakness, which is that it likes to blow wide open... any restriction causes it to ramp up to full speed automatically and this increases noise and isnt very efficient. I had been working on a big-enough carbon filter to present as little resistance as possible so as to allow me to run the blower on TRUE low speed, which is extremely quiet in my cab due to my foam-surround silencer (see above pic). that is all going to be modded further, however.

here were some of my development ideas:

this is what i finally decided to go with, mostly due to simplicity. I have to make it totally custom since its an odd size (7" inside diameter and 9" outside... this gives me around 800sq.inches of surface area, or the equivalent of sixteen 8" round vents. hopefully this is enough area to let me run the blower on LOW for *TOTAL* stealth!!:

i quickly realized that my idea of running my box with no airshades wasnt going to work (i wanted to KEEP the UV,, glass blocks it) as the plants grew up. so as soon as they need it, i am going to do something like the following... (followed with previous ideas...)

the idea with using the glass that way is to avoid paying big bucks for cooltubes, airshades, etc. even without the glass, I can run both lights in a relatively small space with *NO* airshades (at least so far!) and keep the temps inside at about 75deg with no issues. I love the stanley blower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woohoo: :wave: :joint:

Nice post, gives a newb some ideas.

G

I ran out yesterday and got one, been playing with it for a while. Had it at home today, ran it in the basement for a while, wife never heard it, even with the door open. Going to use this with a home-built hood and a 1K HPS for now. When I get the permanent flower area done, this will probably be used for a 400 MH for veg. Was like 39.94 at local Wally.

Very well made fan, runs smooth and quiet, even on high. Moves a bunch of air, too. Will probably have a couple of these.

EZB581

FlipMode said:
I ran out yesterday and got one, been playing with it for a while. Had it at home today, ran it in the basement for a while, wife never heard it, even with the door open. Going to use this with a home-built hood and a 1K HPS for now. When I get the permanent flower area done, this will probably be used for a 400 MH for veg. Was like 39.94 at local Wally.

Very well made fan, runs smooth and quiet, even on high. Moves a bunch of air, too. Will probably have a couple of these.
I have 2 stanley's now, One has the "Dopest one side draw" mod cooling 2 , enclosed 1k lights. The 2nd is venting a 4 by3 by 6 ' cab with an open 250w light. Both work fine.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Dang it, I just saw one (yep one on the shelf) of these at Walmart yesterday when I was picking up a new oscillating fan. I wish I had read this thread before! I might swing by and get it today.

EDIT: snatched it up for $39. Ill start messing with it this weekend I think.

Last edited: