What's new

Stanley Blower Fan Mod

marley1

is it necessary to cut away on the intake side, can you not just tape the ducting directly to it? or even just not use the metal portion in the intake side?

Reg Dunlop

I've been watching this thread for a while and I was wondering,really for $60 can how much power can it really have?I was thinking about hooking one up to three 1000w bulbs in hurricane lamps in a vertical system,sucking cold air in,blowing it through the three 1000 watters,all sealed up and into another room,so that way most of the heat from my lights won't be a factor in my room.IN essence it would continually be blowing all the way through from a seperate room through my grow room,and into another room.All said and done up and down there would be about 18-25ft of ducting.Would this work for this fan or would it be more feasible to just go and get a vortec fan.I just don't want to go buy this fan and find out that it's not strong enough and than have it sit around for months not being used.I have enough crap like that lying around and I don't need any more!lol Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

Reg,

thescissors

Ambre said:
The air intake for the blower is only on the one side; the intake on the side that has the electric outlets is just to cool the motor. You don't want to block that.

Sorry, but this is BAD INFORMATION! as the dopest mentions in his initial post, the blower has TWO distinct sides, with two *seperate* intakes. that other side is not just there to cool the motor. im sure the motor doesnt need *any* cooling, its just an electric. Instead, that other-side intake feeds the second half of the two-sided blower wheel inside the fan! DO NOT block the other side, but not because of the motor, but because you reduce the power of the fan by HALF!

I bought the stanley because i needed a BIG blower to pull air out of my 800w cabinet:

It was cheap, and promised to be very effective. It does have a weakness, which is that it likes to blow wide open... any restriction causes it to ramp up to full speed automatically and this increases noise and isnt very efficient. I had been working on a big-enough carbon filter to present as little resistance as possible so as to allow me to run the blower on TRUE low speed, which is extremely quiet in my cab due to my foam-surround silencer (see above pic). that is all going to be modded further, however.

here were some of my development ideas:

this is what i finally decided to go with, mostly due to simplicity. I have to make it totally custom since its an odd size (7" inside diameter and 9" outside... this gives me around 800sq.inches of surface area, or the equivalent of sixteen 8" round vents. hopefully this is enough area to let me run the blower on LOW for *TOTAL* stealth!!:

i quickly realized that my idea of running my box with no airshades wasnt going to work (i wanted to KEEP the UV,, glass blocks it) as the plants grew up. so as soon as they need it, i am going to do something like the following... (followed with previous ideas...)

the idea with using the glass that way is to avoid paying big bucks for cooltubes, airshades, etc. even without the glass, I can run both lights in a relatively small space with *NO* airshades (at least so far!) and keep the temps inside at about 75deg with no issues. I love the stanley blower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woohoo: :wave: :joint:

Last edited:

marley1

is it better to push the air thorugh a carbon filter or pull it through?

i didn't know the other side was an intake.

i was planning to hook one of the intake sides up to the cool tube, on the other side of the coool tube be the filter.

Carbon filter --- Cool tube - Hot air ---- Pull from intake, then exhasut out.

But if the other side is an intake, wouldn't it pull in stinky smelly air and just exhaust it out?

darrinjefferson

scissors i like the look of your box
looks real nice. 800watts damn thats alot of light.
i bet you get some pretty crazy yields in that baby.
nice work

late

thescissors

marley1 said:
is it better to push the air thorugh a carbon filter or pull it through?

i didn't know the other side was an intake.

i was planning to hook one of the intake sides up to the cool tube, on the other side of the coool tube be the filter.

Carbon filter --- Cool tube - Hot air ---- Pull from intake, then exhasut out.

But if the other side is an intake, wouldn't it pull in stinky smelly air and just exhaust it out?

normal carbon filters are supposed to be SUCKED through... thats why the "pre-filters" you see for them wrap around the outside of the "can"!!

it makes sense too, because the outside diameter of the "can" has a bit more surface area than the inside diameter, so more scrubber area has access to intake air. doing it the other way sacrifices some performance, but you gotta do what you gotta do! (i myself am using mine "backwards" like most others, just because theres no way it would fit in my box!)

hmmm that actually makes me think a bit, because the filter could actually be smaller because you are using the other side for the intake. as the air is slightly compressed passing through the carbon, and increases in velocity as it is narrowed from the larger outside diameter to the smaller inside diameter and then up the pipe. i actually have to correct myself, my filter is only 705 sq. inches on the inside(what was i thinking?? :chin: :pointlaug :chin: ), but the outside is 835. so another 130 inches of space of filter area. the smaller the filter is overall, the bigger the difference should be, so for a smaller filter, it starts to make a whole lot more sense to suck rather than blow!!

darrenjefferson: I *HOPE* to get good yeilds (this is my first grow in this box, and im modding it/adding to it as i go!). the problem is i have a notorious BLACK THUMB :badday: :badday: :badday: when it comes to mj, so i am trying to stick to SIMPLICITY. im using buffered nutes (GH floranova) and just some simple Black Gold soil, with extra perlite. Only things i add to that are some maxicrop in my foliar water, and floralicious plus in the flowering nute mix... wish me luck because i have SHITTY SKILLS at actually growing... :pointlaug :bat: maybe this box is my way of overcompensating for these weaknesses!! :chin: :pointlaug :wave:

EDIT: and for your last question, yes thats exactly what it will do! you might be better off with an inline fan, or to do one of two other ways:

1. put the blower outside the box, just use one intake with ducting into the box, then the cooltube, then the filter (going backwards). the "other" intake would just blow your outside room air around. (Might be kinda nice! ;-p)

2. put the blower inside the box, use the round intake for the cool tube, and leave the other open to pull cab air out and then blow through an external carbon filter. this would be the most efficient in terms of the blower, but not in terms of the box, as you give up a lot of room this way. I solved this problem by making my "backpack" so the blower can sit a bit inside and a bit more outside the normal cabinet dimensions......... but again i am kind of forcing myself to make a "monster" custom filter where it would be SO much easier to just use 6" and 8" HVAC bits to form the collars and ends of the filter itself. it wont be that big of a deal... i think i can use a paintcan or two to make up the outer cap/s, and then some other freebie junk laying around the house to make up the inside layer. i bought $30 worth of screen, hardware cloth, and worm-drive clamps last night, however... ;)

Last edited:

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
burn, thats 95 watts per sq ft.... i wouldnt attempt it. however, it will cool the 400 if your ambient temps are average.

Last edited:

burn586

Where my box is located its usually mid to high 50's right now. I know that it will cool a single 400, I was just hoping to use more light than that.

The Dopest

Veteran
Single Sided Mod

Single Sided Mod

*UPDATED MOD* FAN PULLS FROM ONE SIDE NOW

i drilled four 1" holes in the center divider and taped up the motor side vent. the fan has been running for a couple weeks like this no problems. The Dopest certified mod.

Riddance

MY account is validated woohooo!!!! First Post activate!! Glad to be a part of these forums finally as I have previously recieved much inspiration from them. =)

How does the stanley do in a high humidity environment? I plan on growing some divinorum soon and their leaf output is greatly increased at 100% humidity. Prolly wouldn't do to good huh? I might go with a vortex instead but I'm waiting for a reply form the company as to its water-resistance.

:joint:

G

The Dopest said:
*UPDATED MOD* FAN PULLS FROM ONE SIDE NOW

i drilled four 1" holes in the center divider and taped up the motor side vent. the fan has been running for a couple weeks like this no problems. The Dopest certified mod.

Dopest,that is a very good idea! I think You could tell by now if it was running hot. Other than that The fan works great.

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Hiya Dopest :wave:
Can't give ya another rep hit yet, but you definitely deserve recognition and a big ole ataboy for another DIY mod. :yes::yes: from me sir!

The Dopest

Veteran
i have a 10lb one being sucked through and a 30lb one being blown through atm, both are effective in there areas

turbo14

Veteran
I have about a 6'x6' Wide and about 5.5' High area im working with. From those who have used these.. Will this cool 1 1000w hps Light if vented directly out of the room? Thanks in advance

The Dopest

Veteran
there are alot of variables, like ambient temps, duct size and restrictions/bends etc but imho i would say yes. your footprint may be small with that height but thats a whole other thread. :D

Latest posts

Latest posts