What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

OldTimers

ukganjafarmer its 4 - 26wtt cfls .. I was using 6 - 26 wtt cfls for veg and when i switched to flowering i was gonna take out all cfls and use just the HPS but i decided that the HPS and 4 cfls fit i mise well leave them and im glad i did .. Shes really taking off

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Day 0 of flower.

Back row is mostly BubbleGum while front row is Merlin's Magic (Acapulco Gold x GN C99.) I can't wait to smoke on the MM.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Looks nice, catman. Yours have the jump on mine big time. I'm probably going to veg these till the end of the month. Will be nice to see what yours do and have an idea of what to expect.
picture.php

stew

You can take the core and igniter (it might also have a capacitor) out and put them in another box remotely. You will need a cord from the light to the new box, and another cord back to the power receptacle (use the original cord for this). It will wire up exactly as it is now

So do I have to just get an empty box from my local hardware store? Or do I need to purchase an already built security light and convert it? I'm kinda lost. Can you link me in the DIY direction please? :thank you:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Growroom Designs & Equipment > http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=40637

The light has the ballast works in it, and you could consider the light fixture itself the ballast box. You need to get another box, like a project box from Radio Shack or an electrical enclosure from an electrical or hardware supply. Some have been creative with this and used things like metal mail boxes, etc...

You will need to take the ballast works (core, and ignitor is usually all a 150 has, but it could also have a capacitor too) These items need to go into the new box.
They will need to wire up just as they are now, only you will be lengthening the wires with a cord to the new box from the light, and a cord from the new box to the plug-in.
You have a cord that plugs into the wall now....it will need to go to the new box instead of the light. There are also wires coming from the light socket now back to the ballast, you will be lengthening those wires as well and you will need a cord from the light socket back to your new box.
Everything will wire up just as it is now, only you will be lengthening the connections with cords. There are a few DIY's that show converting a security lamp into a remote ballast unit. This is in essence what you are doing.

foescan

My third official grow is a few weeks into flower under the 150. I'm still on the same bulb after a year. Not sure if I want to pick up a more expensive horticultural bulb, or try a 250w setup.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mg3.25.jpg
    mg3.25.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 14
U

ukganjafarmer

My third official grow is a few weeks into flower under the 150. I'm still on the same bulb after a year. Not sure if I want to pick up a more expensive horticultural bulb, or try a 250w setup.

attachment.php

how many plants u got in there n wots the strain, looking good !

stew

Thanks Hoosierdaddy youve been extremely helpful and its only been 2 responses :)

Im looking forward to posting my grow on here once i get a nice mother to clone from. Until then, PC experimentation.

G

grumblez

So now I know...

So now I know...

Hello 150 clubbers. Been a while since I have posted..figured I would share some experience.

This is my 2nd round of growing and 7th plant ever grown (female). What I have learned in my adventure is that nutes and genetics make a huge difference. As does "treatment" of the plant, especially under low wattage HPS fixtures.

By treatment I mean LST, supercropping and SCROG. I LSTed the first grow and saw value...but am too lazy to wait for my plants to veg to fill a screen (or make a screen) so I did the supercropping trick on the cola of this PPP plant and tied her down to an eyelet screwed into the wall to keep the canopy evened off.

man does it look good. all the secondary and tertiary limbs have cola-like buds jutting out of the canopy and I hope she fills out. She is at day 42 flower and the strain goes to 65 days.

I would like to send thanks to Gypsy Nirvana for these great freebies!! From a couple of test buds I have smoked PPP is right up my alley. Really what a nice feature of the seedbay...

picture.php

That is my fist next to the cola which is stretching upward....it would be larger, but the bottom lobes got "sampled".

picture.php

So for the next round which is Chemdog DD x Chemdog I'll be running a few eyelets into either side of my garden and tying the plants off to either side to allow the canopy to fill out ala supercropping....that way I can drop my twin 150's right in on their targets.

MasterKush420

Hey guys, new grower here...growing in a 2.6'X2.6'X5.8' grow tent, have a sunsystem 150w HPS light (obviously this is my flowering room)...alot of people are telling me i need at least a 400w light...but i would rather not spend alot of money

I guess my question is, how many plants can my light handle in this area, and if i should invest in some 3000k T5's for suplimental lighting

Your pictures have led me to believe i can grow great stuff with only the 150...please help convince me...im growing masterkush clones and would love to crop out4-5 plants every 2 months....can this be acheived?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
MK420, you've got two options. You can hang the lamp just like you would a 400 and manage to cover the entire footprint of your tent. Only problem, a 150 doesn't generate the power necessary to grow dense bud beyond 12", give or take. You can grow big sprawling plants but the canopy will need to be concentrated in the sweet spot of the light.

Another thing you can do is reduce your plant space to 3 square feet and lower the light as close as your lights-on temps and strain/stress factors allow. A typical 150 setup can bring the plant and light as close as a couple inches apart.

I'm not sure how much reflection you'll get with the larger footprint. Reflective light isn't that great with a 150 but every little bit helps. With a horizontal bulb setup, you get more light from the sides of the bulb than from the ends. Depending on the reflector, you'll get an oblong light pattern instead of square.

I'd love to have your tent, I'd hang the bare bulb vertically. You can put plants all around the bulb and get larger yields. With the larger footprint, you could use larger pots and improve yields over those of us with less space/smaller pots. You'd have to train the height of the plants to remain inside the vertical limit of the 150 but that's not hard to do. Many bare bulb vertical setups are adjustable according to plant height.

Last edited:

foescan

how many plants u got in there n wots the strain, looking good !

Three plants in the cab when I would prefer 1-2. I vegged too long once again due to lack of free time. I'm going to get a grow journal going soon, and organize my cab thread too. I'm at 70w per square foot, and the idea is to get the benefits of a vertical setup, horizontally. The buds will grow beside and eventually over the cooltube. Maybe next time around I'll switch to 12/12 on time.

One of the three has nifty webbed leaves, but even more interesting is that it lacks large fan leaves, just tiny-stemmed leaves similar to secondary leaves on her two sisters. Here she is as a seedling:

attachment.php

Attachments

• mg3.5.jpg
    mg3.5.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 13

Propoline

Hi guys

i just wanted to ask if i qualify to be a member here, with 2x150 in my small cab?? In my old one i had one 150, but now i have a new cab with two of them in. Still nothing in flower, but a couple clones are gettin bigger every day.

Few shots from my old cab, 2 years ago. Two plants around 150hps
12114c11.JPG

12114c21.JPG

12114n22.JPG

New setup

picture.php

picture.php

MasterKush420

Thank you, your advise is going to go along way, i was also thinking of possibly purchasing 1 or 2 two foot 3000k T-5s to put at the corners of my grow tent, i found a location that sells them for 20.00 CAN, might be worth the investment

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
8 weeks in, coming down next Monday or Tuesday

picture.php

Here's Merlin's Magic coming in behind that at day 39 veg. They'll end up flowering ~45 days veg, give or take. 4 of 9 are females and I still have a couple that haven't shown.

picture.php

AcroPhobic

Good updates guys .. looking good!

Good updates guys .. looking good!

Day 70 = 10 weeks 12/12 here .. Harvesting 1 of em on Wed or Thursday. Other 2 have about 7-14 days left before I'm choppin.

A top I cut n dried was mostly milky/cloudy with 10% amber ... smokin bowl right now of few days cure and I'm pleased with this plant. Strong heady high with a nice body buzz. Very inspiring smoke indeed. Smells and tastes like skunky grape juice.

I'm glad I took clones because out of the three different plants, only two I want to keep. Heres a shot of my clones I just transplanted into 3 liter soda bottle with holes punched on top sides for training as I want these low with even canopy underthe 150. Will veg another week or so then into flower after I chop the other girls. Heres some pics. 420 to all my 150watt brothers n sisters ..

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 15
  • setting della box...lampada 400 watt hps agro piu un estrattore della madonna tant'è ke riesco ad av
    setting della box...lampada 400 watt hps agro piu un estrattore della madonna tant'è ke riesco ad av
    102.6 KB · Views: 79