What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

Propoline

DiscoBiscuit, thanks......those yours look pretty good too :)

ukganjafarmer, for now there is only one, but will probbably add another one on the top, to cool down the uper socket.

AcroPhobic

I usually veg 3-5 weeks from seed on a 20/4 and or 18/6 light cycle.

Clones on the other hand veg for a few days (if going straight to SOG) and up to 2 weeks for tying down n training.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
how long does everyone veg

Depends on what you got to grow in and what's growing. These were vegged for 2 weeks.Any more vegging and they'd have been too large in flower. You can tell I had to chain em down because I ran out of headroom.

This one went 11 weeks in veg. A shorter veg on this one plant would have killed yield.

picture.php

How much headroom do you have? How big is your grow space? Are you planting sativas, indicas or hybrids?

If you grow natural or sog, you can usually veg a minimal amount of time. If you train with lst or scrog, this will allow you to veg longer as height is usually reduced considerably. Training usually causes plants to get bigger around so you'll need the space to accommodate.

Every time you get a new variety/strain, you'll have a guessing game on veg time unless you're lucky and get a recommendation from those in the know. Oh, yeah. You'll need to consider how many plants you'll be growing at a time.

Sorry I can't be more help. Let us know a little more about your setup and what/how you'll be growing.

asstastic

i have a 150w hps utilitech and my cab is 2' deep 2.5' wide and about 4' tall im growing afgooey (afgani#1 x mauii haze) 70/30 indica/sativa and im wanting to fill the room as much as ican so i guess im doing a sog with out clones and maby some lst to keep things full and flat but i dont know how long to veg to get 2-3' budded plants

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Sorry, not familiar with afgooey other than the rave reviews. If you lst, you can probably veg at least 3 to 4 weeks depending on how fast it grows in veg, maybe longer. Try an advanced search for afgooey and there should be numerous threads. You'll prolly see peeps with similar setups and reported veg times. If you don't see what you're looking for, drop an inquiry in the thread. That will automatically "subscribe" you to the thread and you can keep track of new activity by clicking "MY IC". It lists all your subscribed threads. When you get 50 or 75 posts (?), you can drop a pm to the member of choice and ask about veg times. Hope the grow goes well for you.

G

grumblez

Oh no!

My PPP Hermed!

How did I find out? Well might have been the SEEDS forming on the one breeder pack fem I had going!! Crikey!

Can I smoke a herm? I chopped her as to not taint the Chemdog DD that has yet to show sex in my flower spot....

sux...she was gonna yield fat. I cut her up and have 1/4 of a grocery bag FULL of hermie buds. Thank god I have more DD and some Omega to come right behind this.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Oh no!.....My PPP Hermed!.......Can I smoke a herm?

It all depends on when it started to show male traits and the condition of the buds with regards to gland production.

Many Sativa strains tend to produce a few male flowers late in their final stages of life. In almost every case, the female buds and surrounding leaves are well covered with mature glands. In this case they are perfectly fine for smoking and all I usually do is just pull off the male flowers as they appear.

If you have more flowers than you can easily deal with, or it happens earlier in the grow cycle, there is a good chance that THC production will be low. In this case you're best off dumping the plant. However, if under close examination it does exhibit the start of gland production, use it for making hash.

Those are the two extremes. For every case somewhere in the middle, it becomes a personal choice as to which way to go...smoke, hash, or trash.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
grumblez, sometimes a hermie plant will express hermie no matter what. Other times a hermie plant may keep the hermaphrodite flowers recessive unless triggered by a stress. Normally the stress to bring on a recessive herm is a light leak during the flower period.

If you have several flowering, it is easier to blame the herm plant for just being a hermie if the others don't show any herm. But if you have only one flowering, you need to make certain that you don't have a stress happening, like a light leak, that would cause other recessive herms to show.

G

grumblez

Ok you guys rock. Thank you.

No light leaks...everything is drywalled up tight and well. I did have swings in temp that were around 20 degrees F. Maybe that did it. Now that is is thawed out my swings should be far less.

Good news is that I smoked a sample bud or two two nights ago and it wrecked me...but it DID taste a little funky....maybe this was the male flower effect/pollen?

I did not inspect the bud before I placed it in front of the fan to quick dry...and I did not inspect the dried bud before I ground it and vaped it. I just found the herm parts on the plant now while watering. Man this is what I get for going away for a week.

Are you guys saying I should cut the nanners off the bud before I smoke it? I guess so...

grr.

Moving too fast over here. Mental note to slow down.

Only the One PPP had male nanners...out of 3 omegas, 2 PPP, two unknowns (heavy sativa and a cross) and the still premature chemdog dd. only one of a bunch hermied...one confirmed pollination. Here's to having a new cross at least... :)

ugh.

this one. I guess I'll figure it out....prolly ought to get some bubble bags...this thing was nice and frosty. well this has been a learning experience! And better the PPP to herm than the Chemdog DD...

southpaw

My apologies if this has been covered already... I'm trying a bare bulb vert approach for flowering this time around, and I suspect I over vegged somewhat (plants are going to end up being about 2.5 feet tall at least). I've got 4 plants and two different strains, so there's nothing uniform about them, plus one is older and I supercropped/ fimmed the crap out of it. I've got as many budsites as I can on this plant trained "inward" to point at the bulb.

Should I hang the light right at the average canopy level, a little higher, or down into the plants further? Does it make a big difference as far as yield goes? I can definitely see the beauty of that dual 150 setup, but for now I just want to see what a single brings in...

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I'm envious of your work Propoline, great job!

I can't wait to see pictures of all them nuggets trimmed up DB. You killed it on your first try with the screen.

Southpaw, great question. I've looked for answers from the big boys with vertical lights I haven't been able to find any talk about it what so ever. I just wing it where my bulb is. I don't have it installed a good way so I don't bother changing it every day like I should. If you look in my gallery you'll see my experimentation with a bare and vertical 150w hps. This current run I have kept the bulb lower than my last two vert runs and I think I've got more stretch, but I've also vegged longer and topped my plants while I hadn't before. The stretch from what I think I have observed is related closely to nitrogen levels. More nitrogen equals longer inte nodes. Though the most signifant influence of internodal length is the different between day and night temperatures. The optimal condition is for the temps to be the same around 70-80F (depends on strain) during lights on and off. A bigger difference between day and night temps will result in lengthier plants.

Starting week 2 for me. They better stop stretching right now or they'll be growing sideways in the future lol.

picture.php

Starting week 2.

picture.php

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I love the vertical setup, catman. Those are getting big already. I've only got ~2 vertical feet in flower and hope to manage somehow, lol. The 40 day old plants are too big for veg and two males have already been culled. At least two males remain, I'll select one for pollen and cull the rest. That leaves at least 4 females out of 9. Looks like you'll be ~10 days ahead. I'll be watching what you're doing to get a clue, lol.

MagicChef

Curious how close your letting your plants get to a bare 70w hps? Im horizontal and it gets really hot. Ive got a remote ballast and tempered glass in between so I can get it close to the canopy, but it some of your vertical pictures it looks like the lamps just dangling in the bud tops, or am I just trippin?

G

grumblez

Hey all just in case anyone cares my hermed out PPP smokes/vapes just fine...phew....even though I took it down 30% earlier than planned.

Prolly got 3/4 ounce dried out of it...maybe more..times like these I wish I owned a scale.

Man am I glad I clone everything before throwing it into flower....for the next set I will leave out the PPP....eheh..